2017 February California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rcharter1978

Gold

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:52 pm

You may have bombed an essay, but remember that a good PT can knock out two essays.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:53 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:You may have bombed an essay, but remember that a good PT can knock out two essays.
True, and I don't feel horrible about the PTs. Seems kind of odd since the last two times I got to a whopping 55 on both. This time, I had some help from a dear colleague. I feel better about them, especially the second one. I enjoyed that one. The first PT was a bit out of my wheelhouse (nursing and education), but it didn't seem too difficult. The young woman sitting next to me said she discussed the nursing shortage as an emergency, thereby authorizing the school nurses to give the shots. I thought it was clever. Wish I would've thought of it, but I think I did okay on it.

The truth of the matter is that the last time I failed it, it was because I failed the MBE. Had I passed it, there wouldn't have been a re-read, and I would've passed. (Lost points on the re-read.)

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:04 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:You may have bombed an essay, but remember that a good PT can knock out two essays.
True, and I don't feel horrible about the PTs. Seems kind of odd since the last two times I got to a whopping 55 on both. This time, I had some help from a dear colleague. I feel better about them, especially the second one. I enjoyed that one. The first PT was a bit out of my wheelhouse (nursing and education), but it didn't seem too difficult. The young woman sitting next to me said she discussed the nursing shortage as an emergency, thereby authorizing the school nurses to give the shots. I thought it was clever. Wish I would've thought of it, but I think I did okay on it.

The truth of the matter is that the last time I failed it, it was because I failed the MBE. Had I passed it, there wouldn't have been a re-read, and I would've passed. (Lost points on the re-read.)
Your situation sucks but I think it's easier to fix and so you'll probably be fine. I think novel ideas and interpretations are welcome but probably not as earth shattering as people think.

I got a tutor for my retake, and he was a former bar grader. He gave me the impression that while good ideas were great, better form was the most important thing.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:19 pm

I'm convinced I may have bombed two essays (50-55 range)....And done sub-par on at least one more (60 range). If only I had managed time better, I wouldn't be anxious about these!

Hoping the PTs make the difference this time, as I at least felt like I crushed them. Also feel like my other 3 essays are contenders for 70+. MBEs should be solid if it is in my practice range of 67-72%....I didn't feel like it was a particularly difficult set either day.

Fortunately work is crazy busy this next month...I'm finding myself here less and less often!

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:09 am

For what it's worth, a debrief of Q4--the business essay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFyABkFlHrw

I ran out of time. Answered q3 in about 160 words. If I got to 60, I'll be grateful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:14 pm

I've been listening/watching the debriefs of the CBX. So far, none of them are helpful. Not because they don't do a decent enough job of spotting the issues. They do. But they don't tell us what the grading rubric is likely to look like. Without that information, the "professional" debriefs aren't any more valuable than the debriefs we all did here right after the test. Like the "professionals" we can spot the issues. It's the rubric that we don't have a clue about. This site is also offering debriefs, but you have to give them your email: http://powerlaw.barsecrets.com/

barexaminerssuck27

New

Post by barexaminerssuck27 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:05 pm

FEB 2017 HAS THE LOWEST MBE SCORES IN HISTORY. FML

STUDYING AGAIN!

http://abovethelaw.com/2017/04/mbe-scor ... -time-low/

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:44 pm

barexaminerssuck27 wrote:FEB 2017 HAS THE LOWEST MBE SCORES IN HISTORY. FML

STUDYING AGAIN!

Remember when the president of the NCBE said it was because students were "less able"?

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:12 am

STUDYING AGAIN!

Don't start studying if you really don't feel like it. Let's take a look at this from another angle. Why would you study again? I've seen your posts. You're sharp. Why assume you failed? You had to get 119 correct on the MBE to pass, right? Do you really think you missed 56 questions? C'mon. Even if you failed it, you'll have ten weeks to study before the next administration. At least wait until after the Easter holiday.

I'm not feeling great about it either, but I'm going to wait for the results. Until then, I'm reading and binge watching weird things on Netflix. Try the OA. Weird and intriguing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

armenianBEAUTY

New

Post by armenianBEAUTY » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:43 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:

STUDYING AGAIN!

Don't start studying if you really don't feel like it. Let's take a look at this from another angle. Why would you study again? I've seen your posts. You're sharp. Why assume you failed? You had to get 119 correct on the MBE to pass, right? Do you really think you missed 56 questions? C'mon. Even if you failed it, you'll have ten weeks to study before the next administration. At least wait until after the Easter holiday.

I'm not feeling great about it either, but I'm going to wait for the results. Until then, I'm reading and binge watching weird things on Netflix. Try the OA. Weird and intriguing.
^I second these thoughts. I've watched every crime documentary I didn't even know existed. 8) 8) 8) Positive wishes for all of us.

spartan4life

New

Post by spartan4life » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:47 pm

In response to February 2017 Bar having lowest MBE score in history, that MBE score they talk about is the National MBE score that includes ALL states. California's bar applicants have scored above the national MBE score the last two years so the article is a little misleading if you think it refers to California. The Deans of about every law school in California are using this as an argument to point out that California's MBE scores are higher than the national average to bring down the 1440 required to pass in CA.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Thought it would be fun to predict my absolute worst/best case scenarios based on the One-Timers Calculator (because I like to torment myself). I honestly thought I crushed Essays 1, 4, and 6, as well as the PTs - so it's really going to come down to whether those came out as good as I felt to make up likely lost points on the others.

Quite a range: 1385-1565.

WORST CASE:

Essay 1: 65
Essay 2: 55
Essay 3: 50
Essay 4: 65
Essay 5: 45 (ran out of time - substantially incomplete)
Essay 6: 65
PTA: 60
PTB: 65
MBE: 124 (~65% based on old 190 scale for calculator purposes)

TOTAL: 1385

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST CASE:

Essay 1: 75
Essay 2: 60
Essay 3: 60
Essay 4: 70
Essay 5: 50
Essay 6: 75
PTA: 70
PTB: 70
MBE: 136 (~72% based on old 190 scale for calculator purposes)

TOTAL: 1565

THREE more weeks friends . . .

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:41 pm

ur_hero wrote:Thought it would be fun to predict my absolute worst/best case scenarios based on the One-Timers Calculator (because I like to torment myself). I honestly thought I crushed Essays 1, 4, and 6, as well as the PTs - so it's really going to come down to whether those came out as good as I felt to make up likely lost points on the others.

WORST CASE:

BEST CASE:

Please. There is no way you got a 45 or a 50. C'mon. Last time I took it, I got a 65 on the CP essay, and I BSed my way through the whole thing. In fact,it was my highest-scoring essay. The lowest was 55 on the re-read. I'll be watching for you to post the good news on the 12th. If you got 124 correct on the MBE, that's passing. You're good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:35 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:
ur_hero wrote:Thought it would be fun to predict my absolute worst/best case scenarios based on the One-Timers Calculator (because I like to torment myself). I honestly thought I crushed Essays 1, 4, and 6, as well as the PTs - so it's really going to come down to whether those came out as good as I felt to make up likely lost points on the others.

WORST CASE:

BEST CASE:

Please. There is no way you got a 45 or a 50. C'mon. Last time I took it, I got a 65 on the CP essay, and I BSed my way through the whole thing. In fact,it was my highest-scoring essay. The lowest was 55 on the re-read. I'll be watching for you to post the good news on the 12th. If you got 124 correct on the MBE, that's passing. You're good.
Thanks. I really hope so!

RavenAgain

New

Post by RavenAgain » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Is it only California who is left now to release results?

It's not getting any easier. 16 days seem like an eternity.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:26 pm

RavenAgain wrote:Is it only California who is left now to release results?

I feel you. I'm crawling the walls. Sixteen days. I'm rehearsing both passing and failing scenarios in my head. I've decided that instead of checking my status in my upstairs office, I'll check in my living room on my laptop. That way, there's no chance I'll fall down the stairs if I pass. If I fail, I'll tell my partner, my friends who have been waiting for me to return to normal, and then I'll stop by here for some serious consolation.

Hang in there.

Leprechaun

Bronze

Post by Leprechaun » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 pm

RavenAgain wrote:Is it only California who is left now to release results?

Still waiting in Texas as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sk1130

New

Post by sk1130 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:46 pm

Hey guys!

I'm new to this thread--well, I've been reading posts since before the feb bar exam but I figured I'd join in as we get to the final days. So nervous :cry:

Does anyone else feel extremely paranoid about their MBE scores?

armenianBEAUTY

New

Post by armenianBEAUTY » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:21 pm

sk1130 wrote:Hey guys!

I'm new to this thread--well, I've been reading posts since before the feb bar exam but I figured I'd join in as we get to the final days. So nervous :cry:

Welcome! It seems we all start off as lurkers and then join to communicate during this hellish waiting period with the only other people who understand what it's like.

I'm paranoid about everything. After not passing JUST because of probably 10 points (too annoyed to do the math), this has been the biggest blow to my confidence. Never did I think I would not pass the first time. That said, I know timing was the sole issue my first time. Last administration, during practices and on the actual exam, I would only get to 90 on each MBE portion. On the actual exam during my first attempt, I got to 89 and 86 (that's with skipping maybe 3 very long questions-- meaning I did not attempt more than 11 and 14 questions respectively). This time, I got to 93 and 96 (but again skipped maybe 2 or 3 really long questions on each of the two portions).

So, long story short: I'm confident (like I was last time), but I'm also paranoid because I missed the mark by such a small margin last time that I cannot help but be worried that I will miss it again under the same shitty circumstances.

My scores last time:
raw written- 590.0
scaled written - 1394.4538
scaled mbe - 1437.0000

total scaled score - 1409.3450

P.S.-- there were 10 point differences between 1st & 2nd readers' grades for TWO different essays.

sk1130

New

Post by sk1130 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:37 pm

armenianBEAUTY wrote:

Welcome! It seems we all start off as lurkers and then join to communicate during this hellish waiting period with the only other people who understand what it's like.

I'm paranoid about everything. After not passing JUST because of probably 10 points (too annoyed to do the math), this has been the biggest blow to my confidence. Never did I think I would not pass the first time. That said, I know timing was the sole issue my first time. Last administration, during practices and on the actual exam, I would only get to 90 on each MBE portion. On the actual exam during my first attempt, I got to 89 and 86 (that's with skipping maybe 3 very long questions-- meaning I did not attempt more than 11 and 14 questions respectively). This time, I got to 93 and 96 (but again skipped maybe 2 or 3 really long questions on each of the two portions).

So, long story short: I'm confident (like I was last time), but I'm also paranoid because I missed the mark by such a small margin last time that I cannot help but be worried that I will miss it again under the same shitty circumstances.

My scores last time:
raw written- 590.0
scaled mbe - 1437.0000

P.S.-- there were 10 point differences between 1st & 2nd readers' grades for TWO different essays.

I can't imagine your stress (this was my first attempt). Keeping my fingers crossed for you, armenianBEAUTY! :)
I had an issue with timing as well for the MBE day. I had to guess on the last 7 in the first session and I was already thinking they were much more difficult, as a whole, than the BarBri questions. Needless to say, the second day was really a nightmare.

RavenAgain

New

Post by RavenAgain » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:02 pm

sk1130 wrote:
armenianBEAUTY wrote:

My scores last time:
raw written- 590.0
scaled mbe - 1437.0000

I can't imagine your stress (this was my first attempt). Keeping my fingers crossed for you, armenianBEAUTY! :)
I had an issue with timing as well for the MBE day. I had to guess on the last 7 in the first session and I was already thinking they were much more difficult, as a whole, than the BarBri questions. Needless to say, the second day was really a nightmare.
MBE is also my fail or pass decision (and weakness!), so I try to focus on work during the day, but my MBE score haunts me at night....
Last edited by RavenAgain on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:31 pm

armenianBEAUTY wrote:

My scores last time:
raw written- 590.0
scaled mbe - 1437.0000

I totally feel you on the confidence blow. I'm usually a fairly confident person, and I now have to actively tell myself not to unreasonably doubt the quality of everything I do.... I think I really need this win in two weeks.

Lawless!

New

Post by Lawless! » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:35 pm

RavenAgain wrote:
sk1130 wrote:
armenianBEAUTY wrote:

My scores last time:
raw written- 590.0
scaled mbe - 1437.0000

MBE is also my fail or pass decision (and weakness!), so I try to focus on work during, but my MBE score haunts me at night....

I feel the same Armenian beauty, I was off by the same amount last time and I'm scared to death of barely missing the passing score again this time!!. I can't do another 2 months of this horror. The night time terrors have already begun. It's gona be a very long 2 weeks ...

armenianBEAUTY

New

Post by armenianBEAUTY » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:05 pm

May we never find out our scores this time around! 8) Thanks for the positive wishes, guys.

WaitingforNJ25

New

Post by WaitingforNJ25 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:16 pm

I know the feels people, I took NY the first time and could have sworn up and down I passed. Got my score and scored a 250 :( 135mbe and a 115 essay portion (you need a 266 to pass). Well here's to us passing this time around!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”