Virginia Bar Exam - Feb. 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
pianogirl

New

Re: Virginia Bar Exam - Feb. 2017

Post by pianogirl » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:37 pm

I am guessing today at 4:00

evergirl23

Bronze

Post by evergirl23 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:49 pm

What time did they come out in July?

pianogirl

New

Post by pianogirl » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:00 pm

It was before 5:00, but I can't remember exactly what time.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:54 pm

Good luck all!!!

anandamide

New

Post by anandamide » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:11 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:Good luck all!!!

My guess is tomorrow

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

evergirl23

Bronze

Post by evergirl23 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:07 am

Results are up!!!!!!

terpfan12

New

Post by terpfan12 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:20 am

where?

Edit: Saw it, PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

ttnguyen

New

Post by ttnguyen » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:41 am

passed! thanks all for your encouragement/commiserating during the final stretch! congrats to all who passed, and wishing those that didn't luck and energy to get through the next round!

evergirl23

Bronze

Post by evergirl23 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:51 am

Oh yes, should have said - passed! So happy and relieved. And never moving again unless it is to a state I can waive into.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gboston87

New

Post by gboston87 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:47 pm

anandamide wrote:

My guess is tomorrow
@anandamide, how did you do?

anandamide

New

Post by anandamide » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:30 am

gboston87 wrote:
anandamide wrote:

My guess is tomorrow

Well, my name wasn't on the list, so I did not do well...which was shocking, since I did Barbri, had private tutoring and the PMBR for the MBE. What's also shocking to me, is that I read 144 names on the pass lists, and I know there were at least 500-600 test takes in attendance. How do they figure the 53% pass rate? (I dont mean to sound salty. I'm still in shock).

evergirl23

Bronze

Post by evergirl23 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:41 am

anandamide wrote:
gboston87 wrote:
anandamide wrote:

My guess is tomorrow

Well, my name wasn't on the list, so I did not do well...which was shocking, since I did Barbri, had private tutoring and the PMBR for the MBE. What's also shocking to me, is that I read 144 names on the pass lists, and I know there were at least 500-600 test takes in attendance. How do they figure the 53% pass rate? (I dont mean to sound salty. I'm still in shock).
I am so sorry you didn't get the results that you wanted. I don't think there were 500-600 people there - I think closer to mid 300s, so the pass rate makes sense to me. Hopefully the score breakdown helps you prepare and kick a** in July.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:01 am

anandamide wrote:
gboston87 wrote:
anandamide wrote:

My guess is tomorrow

Hi there- just hearing that your name was not on the list is a shock. I cannot imagine how shocking it would be for you right now.
I hope you stay strong for another 2-3 month and retry in July. If you can, try adatibar for MBE. I havn't used it but a lot of people apparently find it a success. I used Emanuel- not sure how my results are (waiting on NY results). fingers crossed...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JDNE

New

Post by JDNE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:02 am

anandamide wrote:
gboston87 wrote:
anandamide wrote:

My guess is tomorrow

Well, my name wasn't on the list, so I did not do well...which was shocking, since I did Barbri, had private tutoring and the PMBR for the MBE.
I'm so sorry to read this. I've been rooting for you because I saw you in the Massachusetts thread. Well, listen, there's still hope for this week's results. Hang in there and stay positive. I hope we all passed Mass. I really do.

gboston87

New

Post by gboston87 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:37 am

anandamide wrote:
gboston87 wrote:
anandamide wrote:

My guess is tomorrow

I'm really sorry, I hope there's a chance you pass in MA.

lgp876

New

Post by lgp876 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:49 pm

So now that the shock and feeling of inadequacy has somewhat worn off after finding out that I failed the Feb 2017 VA bar exam (my 2nd attempt), I'm seeking some advice in an attempt to pull myself back together and figure out my next game plan...

1st attempt - July 2016: I took Kaplan and finished 100% of the course. I failed by 8 points.
2nd attempt - Feb 2017: I self studied for the essay portion (using my old Kaplan books) and used Adaptibar for the MBE. I failed by 10 points. I received the exact same score on the MBE the 2nd time around but two points lower on the essays...which is very surprising to me because I walked away from the exam feeling WAY more confident with my performance on the essay portion than the MBE this time around. I reviewed and practiced every single previous bar exam essay dating back to 2005. I knew the rules on 8 out of the 9 essays that were tested in February and after reviewing the sample answers that were recently released I honestly can't reconcile the score I received with the answers I provided. I don't understand what else these essay graders want from me.

That being said, I'm considering giving up on VA all together and taking another jurisdiction. Does anyone know if DC's bar exam tends to be less difficult? I understand that DC has adopted the UBE but I haven't done enough research to know the difference. I live and went to law school in FL but my goal (more like dream) is to relocate to the DMV area and practice law. I took VA in hopes that it would open more doors in terms of job opportunities with the intention of eventually waiving into DC. In hindsight that was probably a mistake. I did score high enough on the MBE (both times) that, had I passed VA altogether, I would have qualified to waive into DC....which is moot at this point, but it gives me some source of consolation.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:01 pm

lgp876 wrote:So now that the shock and feeling of inadequacy has somewhat worn off after finding out that I failed the Feb 2017 VA bar exam (my 2nd attempt), I'm seeking some advice in an attempt to pull myself back together and figure out my next game plan...

1st attempt - July 2016: I took Kaplan and finished 100% of the course. I failed by 8 points.
2nd attempt - Feb 2017: I self studied for the essay portion (using my old Kaplan books) and used Adaptibar for the MBE. I failed by 10 points. I received the exact same score on the MBE the 2nd time around but two points lower on the essays...which is very surprising to me because I walked away from the exam feeling WAY more confident with my performance on the essay portion than the MBE this time around. I reviewed and practiced every single previous bar exam essay dating back to 2005. I knew the rules on 8 out of the 9 essays that were tested in February and after reviewing the sample answers that were recently released I honestly can't reconcile the score I received with the answers I provided. I don't understand what else these essay graders want from me.

That being said, I'm considering giving up on VA all together and taking another jurisdiction. Does anyone know if DC's bar exam tends to be less difficult? I understand that DC has adopted the UBE but I haven't done enough research to know the difference. I live and went to law school in FL but my goal (more like dream) is to relocate to the DMV area and practice law. I took VA in hopes that it would open more doors in terms of job opportunities with the intention of eventually waiving into DC. In hindsight that was probably a mistake. I did score high enough on the MBE (both times) that, had I passed VA altogether, I would have qualified to waive into DC....which is moot at this point, but it gives me some source of consolation.

Sorry to hear about your experiences- keep your chin up! I took the UBE this past feb- still waiting on results. To tell you about the UBE- the nice part is for the MEE (multistate essay exam) at least you don't need to know state specific law- basic fundamentals of law gets you by because it's testing on overall principles- there are 6 essays, 30 mins for each so at least the graders may not be expecting you to be able to go that in-depth (I think, because there's only 30 mins), also 2 MPTs in a UBE jx that are worth 20% (10% each) and can save you if you mess up an essay! Hope that helps, good luck- wishing you well!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lgp876

New

Post by lgp876 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:46 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
lgp876 wrote:So now that the shock and feeling of inadequacy has somewhat worn off after finding out that I failed the Feb 2017 VA bar exam (my 2nd attempt), I'm seeking some advice in an attempt to pull myself back together and figure out my next game plan...

Sorry to hear about your experiences- keep your chin up! I took the UBE this past feb- still waiting on results. To tell you about the UBE- the nice part is for the MEE (multistate essay exam) at least you don't need to know state specific law- basic fundamentals of law gets you by because it's testing on overall principles- there are 6 essays, 30 mins for each so at least the graders may not be expecting you to be able to go that in-depth (I think, because there's only 30 mins), also 2 MPTs in a UBE jx that are worth 20% (10% each) and can save you if you mess up an essay! Hope that helps, good luck- wishing you well!

Thanks so much for the info! I'll have to do some research on the MPTs since I don't know what those entail, but it does seem like a better option as opposed to having 60% of your score based on 9 essays. I know I'm quite capable and deserving of passing the bar exam. Maybe UBE is the way to go. Thanks again and wishing you all the best on the outcome of your results.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:13 pm

lgp876 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

Thanks so much for the info! I'll have to do some research on the MPTs since I don't know what those entail, but it does seem like a better option as opposed to having 60% of your score based on 9 essays. I know I'm quite capable and deserving of passing the bar exam. Maybe UBE is the way to go. Thanks again and wishing you all the best on the outcome of your results.

No prob! Thank you! MPTs are performance tests- those closed universe assignments you can't prepare for..."heres a case file with hypothetical facts and case law in a hypothetical jx along with a task memo from the partner of the hypothetical law firm you're an associate at"...you can't prepare for the exact one youll get but theres practice ones to do- format is super important- keep it organized- CREAC is good, and only use whats in your case file- no outside knowledge even if you know something about the topic- I've heard sometimes they put hypothetical cases/statutes with the wrong law on purpose so you don't use outside knowledge if you do know something about the topic, oh and follow your task memo to a T, MPTs are about following directions too!

lgp876

New

Post by lgp876 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks for the info on the MPTs. Did a bit more research and if I'm not mistaken, I can transfer my MBE score to DC and just take the essay/MPT portion of the UBE in DC. I hope this is correct as it would be my best option.

If you don't mind me asking...how did you prepare for the UBE? Traditional bar prep course, adaptibar, self study?

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:34 pm

lgp876 wrote:Thanks for the info on the MPTs. Did a bit more research and if I'm not mistaken, I can transfer my MBE score to DC and just take the essay/MPT portion of the UBE in DC. I hope this is correct as it would be my best option.

If you don't mind me asking...how did you prepare for the UBE? Traditional bar prep course, adaptibar, self study?

Thats great! One less day to prepare for and you can totally focus on mpts/essays! I used barbri (didn't watch lectures just used the CMR, plus adaptibar, and i bought MEE one sheets from JD advising for the essays)- they have rule statements on the most highly tested essay topics and tell you the month/year it was tested, i found that super helpful bc i didn't take a lot of the essay topic classes in law school and I didn't wanna waste time by starting with like "what is a trust?" lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lgp876

New

Post by lgp876 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:38 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
lgp876 wrote:Thanks for the info on the MPTs. Did a bit more research and if I'm not mistaken, I can transfer my MBE score to DC and just take the essay/MPT portion of the UBE in DC. I hope this is correct as it would be my best option.

Thats great! One less day to prepare for and you can totally focus on mpts/essays! I used barbri (didn't watch lectures just used the CMR, plus adaptibar, and i bought MEE one sheets from JD advising for the essays)- they have rule statements on the most highly tested essay topics and tell you the month/year it was tested, i found that super helpful bc i didn't take a lot of the essay topic classes in law school and I didn't wanna waste time by starting with like "what is a trust?" lol
Sounds like you used some really great arsenal to attack the exam. I appreciate the info! Definitely going to look into the MEE one sheets.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you will get positive news with your results!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:52 pm

lgp876 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

Sounds like you used some really great arsenal to attack the exam. I appreciate the info! Definitely going to look into the MEE one sheets.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you will get positive news with your results!
thank you!

terpfan12

New

Post by terpfan12 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:18 pm

Sorry about your results. I passed NY in July 2014 and took VA this past February. VA was definitely A LOT harder to study for because of the amount of essay topics. I would personally recommend taking MD and waive into DC - I have several friends who have commented about the MD bar being easy, but I personally do not know much about it.

As far as advice for the essays regardless of where you end up sitting - my advice would be to not take those sample answers written by the VA professors as gospel. Those are summaries of the correct answer. Your actual answer should be a lot more detailed (CRAC model) then the couple paragraphs answers they provide. You should be writing the entire time, even if the law you state is off or the "wrong answer" you will get a lot of credit for applying facts to law.

For the MBE - practice, practice, practice. They can only ask about a topic in so many different ways. If you practice (and read the explanations) of all the questions, your score should definitely increase.

Good luck!

lgp876

New

Post by lgp876 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:04 pm

@ terpfan12

Thanks so much for the advice/feedback. I don't think I have the mental/physical capacity to take VA again so I've decided to transfer my MBE score to DC and take the essay portion of the UBE in DC this July.

Btw, you are a rock star for passing NY and taking VA. From the tone of your post it sounds like you were successful so congrats!!! :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”