February 2017 Texas Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Jarrod

New

Re: February 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Post by Jarrod » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:32 pm

Has anyone who passed been able to register with the new attorney link? I'd like to pay less for dues but I'm guessing they'll wait until May.

jcsmith

New

Post by jcsmith » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:38 pm

Jarrod wrote:Has anyone who passed been able to register with the new attorney link? I'd like to pay less for dues but I'm guessing they'll wait until May.
Not yet. I've been trying. I think it will be up and running on Monday.

dtjustice

New

Post by dtjustice » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:36 am

I know it's quality over quantity...I promise I know that but can I get an average of what a typical successful study plan looks like...hours a day/week, etc..?

dtjustice

New

Post by dtjustice » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:44 am

Also..can someone who took July 2016 and February 2017 compare the two for me please? I took one of each but they were so far apart too many factors made it impossible to truly compare.

Leprechaun

Bronze

Post by Leprechaun » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:08 am

dtjustice wrote:I know it's quality over quantity...I promise I know that but can I get an average of what a typical successful study plan looks like...hours a day/week, etc..?
I don't know what is "typical" as I assume we all have very different methods and study habits but I averaged circa 3 to 3.5 hours per day most days. If I remember correctly, I got started on December 19 and continued throughout exam week. I did take some days off for "mental health" along the way occasionally.

Good luck!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vandyclark

New

Post by vandyclark » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:59 am

So sorry if I missed it but does anyone have any advice on best test prep for retakers? This will be my 3rd try & I need to get my score up a lot... :cry:

1timepasser

New

Post by 1timepasser » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:18 am

I passed on my first try. I started studying in December and studied every day for 7-8 hours. The most helpful thing I did for the MBE was write down the rule under each question I did. Then to review I only had to go back and read the bright line rules exam week. For every other section of the test, I read old exam answers. They test the same concepts every year. Read every single one of them multiple times and they will stick.

Getmeigetu

New

Post by Getmeigetu » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:29 pm

Well.

I got a 668. One point out of the regrade window. Awesome. Kill me.

Shad2013

New

Post by Shad2013 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:07 pm

For the Eetakers:

1) Learn how to take the MBE. Your ability to take the MBE is as important as the rules. Learn the system of the questions. Learn how to spot the "keyword" that made the answer "right."

2) Make flashcards for everything else. If you think you are "not a flashcard person," you are lying to yourself. And most likely lazy and don't deserve to pass.

3) Don't study 8 hours a day. Study for 5-6hours a day but make sure they are actual FOCUSED study hours.

4) Exercise, rest, eat well, and don't take it again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Post by Foghornleghorn » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:16 pm

Shad2013 wrote:
2) Make flashcards
I agree 100% with flash cards (although i used critical pass instead of making my own).

I took themis which would break down MBE subjects by topic after you completed a problem set. More often than not, there were certain MBE subtopics [race/notice statutes / damages / justicability /etc] that I would bomb the first few times, and other subjects i was hitting 85% from the start. During my review, I would use critical pass flash cards and literally go through the "problem" topics until I had them memorized cold.

This method generally took me from averaging 45-50% correct in a subject to 70-75%. I ended up with a 162 on the MBE. It's boring as hell, but the only way to chew through the problem areas is to know the black letter law cold.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Mon May 01, 2017 11:13 am

jcsmith wrote:
Jarrod wrote:Has anyone who passed been able to register with the new attorney link? I'd like to pay less for dues but I'm guessing they'll wait until May.
I still can't register. I sent an email to the memmail@texasbar.com address it referenced. I'll post an update if I hear anything.

BTW -- congrats to everyone that passed. This was my third bar exam in 3 years -- GA in July 2014, FL in July 2015, TX in Feb. 2017. I may as well do the other 47 at this point.

favrefire4

Silver

Post by favrefire4 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:51 am

Pricer wrote:
jcsmith wrote:
I still can't register. I sent an email to the memmail@texasbar.com address it referenced. I'll post an update if I hear anything.

BTW -- congrats to everyone that passed. This was my third bar exam in 3 years -- GA in July 2014, FL in July 2015, TX in Feb. 2017. I may as well do the other 47 at this point.
Can you keep me updated on this, if possible, please? Thanks!

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Mon May 01, 2017 11:59 am

favrefire4 wrote:
Pricer wrote:
jcsmith wrote:

I just received the below reply:

"We are still working on gathering all the information from the Board of Law Examiners.

Please check the online registration later this afternoon or tomorrow morning."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

favrefire4

Silver

Post by favrefire4 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Thank youuu!

chuckfin0808

New

Post by chuckfin0808 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Congrats to all those that passed! Special congrats to the repeaters who passed!!! Enjoy this feeling! Welcome to the profession! Get ready for a bumpy ride!

For those that didn't pass, DO NOT GIVE UP! Hopefully you took this weekend to cope. Now, it's time to create a new study plan to attack the bar. Examine your breakdown and find your strengths and weaknesses. Make a plan. Whatever plan you used to study this time around, don't use it again.

If you were close to passing, I suggest throwing your lectures and outlines out the window and focus on practice questions and practice MBE. Most likely, you know the information. You just need to learn how to take the exam.

If this is your first time failing, you can request an informal written review of your exam. Don't expect much from this. I requested my exam after my first fail and it was completely useless and unhelpful.

If this is your second (or more) time failing, GO TO YOUR FORMAL REVIEW in Austin. My formal review really turned things around for me. I realized that I failed because of how i was taking the test, and not because I didn't know the info.

I am rooting for you all!

maztastic247

New

Post by maztastic247 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Pricer wrote:
favrefire4 wrote:
Pricer wrote:
jcsmith wrote:

"We are still working on gathering all the information from the Board of Law Examiners.

Thanks for this I have been trying to login like every hour.. haha I figured it would take them a couple days, but I am so anxious to get my bar number... never been so excited to pay for anything in my life!

Jarrod

New

Post by Jarrod » Mon May 01, 2017 4:46 pm

maztastic247 wrote:
Pricer wrote:
favrefire4 wrote:
Pricer wrote:
jcsmith wrote:

Thanks for this I have been trying to login like every hour.. haha I figured it would take them a couple days, but I am so anxious to get my bar number... never been so excited to pay for anything in my life!

The website seems to be down for me, maybe something happened and we can register soon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jcsmith

New

Post by jcsmith » Mon May 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Yeah it keeps going back from working to "Service Unavailable." When it is working, it does the same thing it did hours ago---saying that it can't find me in the system.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Mon May 01, 2017 5:19 pm

jcsmith wrote:Yeah it keeps going back from working to "Service Unavailable." When it is working, it does the same thing it did hours ago---saying that it can't find me in the system.
Ditto

fromCAtoTX

New

Post by fromCAtoTX » Mon May 01, 2017 6:22 pm

Can anyone recommend Hugh reed law review?

jcsmith

New

Post by jcsmith » Tue May 02, 2017 3:29 pm

They said we could log in yesterday evening or this morning. Now, it is "within a few days." Ugh.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

favrefire4

Silver

Post by favrefire4 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm a little perplexed at the delay, too. I was under the impression it was normally up and running right away? And, certainly by now, especially given the pass list was as small as it was.

maztastic247

New

Post by maztastic247 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:27 pm

I was able to register/pay dues earlier this morning like around 0900.., but I already had a bar number from having a temp. Trial card so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Wed May 03, 2017 11:22 am

maztastic247 wrote:I was able to register/pay dues earlier this morning like around 0900.., but I already had a bar number from having a temp. Trial card so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.
I'm still seeing:

"PLEASE NOTE: If you recently passed the Bar exam, we are in the process of inputting all of the records into our database. All of the records should be in our system over the next few days. Thank you for your patience. "

I think you're correct that it's because you already had a bar number. You're already in the system.

helenwho2

New

Post by helenwho2 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi is there anybody from Dallas interested in sharing a ride to Austin for the swearing-in ceremony?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”