February 2017 Texas Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cookiemints

New

Re: February 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Post by cookiemints » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:12 pm

favrefire4 wrote:Does anyone know how bad someone could do on the P&E portion of the exam and still have a realistic chance of passing?
If you straight up didn't even do the P&E and got a 0 for it, you can still pass if you muster a combined 75% average on the MPT, MBE, and Essays. So it isn't the end of the world, but it does take away some of the buffer that I know I was hoping I'd have from the P&E.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:16 pm

favrefire4 wrote:Agreed. Crim portion was a total mess. And, that's probably being polite. Does anyone know how bad someone could do on the P&E portion of the exam and still have a realistic chance of passing?
Considering it's only 10 percent of the exam and your performance is judged relative to how other Feb 2017 examinees do (which, itself is judged relative to how y'all do as a group on the MBE vs the previous two groups examinees), you can do terribly on P&E and still have a very realistic chance of passing.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

favrefire4

Silver

Post by favrefire4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Hmm. That'd be about a 145 on the MBE? (scaled)

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:37 pm

favrefire4 wrote:Hmm. That'd be about a 145 on the MBE? (scaled)
If you have a 145 scaled MBE and perform about the same level on essays and MPT, you would need to do worse than the equivalent of a 45 (on the same MBE scale) on the P/E exam to fail. That is theoretically possible, but I don't think it's practically possible. Someone on here got a 0th %ile on the MPT a couple years ago and his/her scaled MPT score was 106.

favrefire4

Silver

Post by favrefire4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:55 pm

BVest wrote:
If you have a 145 scaled MBE and perform about the same level on essays and MPT, you would need to do worse than the equivalent of a 45 (on the same MBE scale) on the P/E exam to fail. That is theoretically possible, but I don't think it's practically possible. Someone on here got a 0th %ile on the MPT a couple years ago and his/her scaled MPT score was 106.
This makes me at least breathe a little bit easier. I guess it will be what it will be. I just was hoping to have given myself some cushion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mckay

New

Post by Mckay » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:55 pm

BVest wrote:
Bvest, you seem to understand this and I don't. I think I will do ok on the MBE, the MPT, and at least the Civ Pro part of the PE. I am worried about the Texas essays because I am not from here. How are they scored? If I do alright on the other parts, how would I need to do on the Texas essays to pass? Thanks for any help.

pitted

New

Post by pitted » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:14 pm

I bombed the first day in July with around 20% on both portions, and scored a 134 on MBE. I ended up with a 667. I had friends who scored in the 120s on MBE and passed in the 700s. You can always make up points in other sections.

vandyclark

New

Post by vandyclark » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:18 pm

OH THANK GOODNESS- It wasn't just me!! Phew... The Crim Pro was messed up... I went back & tried to add as much as I could to those I knew just to try to maximize points on those but my goodness... BarBri needs some serious revisions. I will be interested to see how it's graded. I want to review rules for the MBE & look over some of my essay subjects tonight- once my head stops hurting. It's going to be a long couple days- Take care everyone.

favrefire4

Silver

Post by favrefire4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Along these lines, I assume the model answers they post on their website for the essays are equivalent to something in the neighborhood of a 24 or 25?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Mckay wrote:
BVest wrote:
Bvest, you seem to understand this and I don't. I think I will do ok on the MBE, the MPT, and at least the Civ Pro part of the PE. I am worried about the Texas essays because I am not from here. How are they scored? If I do alright on the other parts, how would I need to do on the Texas essays to pass? Thanks for any help.
That's not really something that's possible to say, since "alright" is a fairly inexact number. There's a whole "Strong MBE = AutoPass" thread which I advise you NOT get sucked down into right now. You're going to do how you're going to do at this point.

As for how they're scored, just know that after the raw score is calculated, it will be scaled based on your percentile for that section, and your scaled score will be what you would have gotten if you'd gotten the same percentile on the MBE.

If you want a longer version of scoring on the Texas Bar, see below, but I would strongly suggest you have better things to do right now, even if that's just to rest for a bit.
[+] Spoiler
Basically everything is based off the MBE percentiles and scaled score. So, for example, last February the MBE median was 136.4 (February is always lower because of the number of retakers, who tend to do worse on average than first-time takers). Each exam they standardize the scores to the two previous MBEs by using some questions that were given on those two previous exams. If this year's examinees do better on those questions, the MBE median will go up. Or vice versa. For the sake of argument let's say this year's examinees do the same as last February.

Now move along to the other parts: MPT is given a raw score of 0 to 6; P/E is scored at 5 raw points per answer for a potential 0 to 200 raw score; and I think essays are scored at 25 raw points each (but it doesn't really matter because of standardization); I think they may also standardize the essay raw scores before adding them together.

They then look at your raw scores for each section and see where it lines up in terms of percentiles. So let's assume that a 110 raw score on the P/E is the median. They'll then say, "Okay, this person was median on the P/E, and the corresponding median MBE scaled score is 136.4, so this person gets a 136.4 scaled score on their P/E." Or if the examinee's P/E score was 99th percentile, they'll say "well, 99th percentile on the MBE was a 185 scaled score [or whatever 99th %ile is], so this person got a 185 scaled PE score."

After they get all your scaled scores for the sections, they then add them up by taking 1/2 of yoru P/E and MPT scores and twice your Essay and MBE scores. For example, if you had a 120 P/E, 140 MPT, 135 MBE and 137 Essay:

120 * .5 = 60
140 * .5 = 70
135 * 2 = 270
137 * 2 = 274
------------
Total = 674

At this point, if it's 675 or higher, you pass. If it's less than 670, you fail. If it's 670 to 674, your essays get automatically regraded. During the automatic regrade, your score can only go up; it can't go down. The regrader does not know what the first grade was, but puts his/her own raw score down. If the regrade raw score is higher than the first raw score, they recalculate your total score using the new raw score; if the regrade raw is lower than your first raw score, your score remains the same. For this reason, very few people actually fail with a 670-674.

TXforeignlawyer

New

Post by TXforeignlawyer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:28 pm

Yes I agree. I've decided to rest for now and head out to a patio to get some sunshine! My head feels heavy so I'm planning to relax so I'm fully fresh in the morning!

Mbe is my weakest part for sure. I'm actually looking forward to it though, not so much writing

TXforeignlawyer

New

Post by TXforeignlawyer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:57 pm

I only got 85 on the simulated mbe of it makes anyone feel better. I've upped my game since then. Just plan on going there with a clear head. I was seated at 07:30 today and it was too early. The nerves started to kick in. Tomorrow I plan to arrive just before 8. I was surprised on how many people were not seated by 8:30 but I guess parking and other factors can be a bitch. All in all it wasn't too disruptive.

maztastic247

New

Post by maztastic247 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:40 pm

Good luck tomorrow everyone!

Don't let the craziness that was today's exam (especially the Crim P&E) shake your confidence for tomorrow. What's done is done so there is no use stressing over something you can't change. Focus on the next task at hand, walk in tomorrow and kill the MBE!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cookiemints

New

Post by cookiemints » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:47 pm

My brain already feels so fried reviewing for the MBE. I'm not sure what to study anymore. Critical pass? MC problems? Outlines? :cry:

favrefire4

Silver

Post by favrefire4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Get some sleep. That'll be far more valuable.

pitted

New

Post by pitted » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:10 pm

It is probably in your best interest to stop studying and give your brain a rest. The MBE is outrageously tiring as the fact patterns are not short.

kawikav

New

Post by kawikav » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:18 am

Good luck today, everyone!! May it be better than that P/E!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sclass

New

Post by sclass » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:50 pm

Get up at 5:00am

Give me "All your strength, all your power, all your love. Everything you've got." for the MBE. No regrets, 5 correct in a row, up for air, deep breath.

"You gotta hate what your shooting at!"

"Get from around here...I never want to see you [in this auditorium] again!"

why do you want this so badly? because they said i couldn't have it

Good night cupcake! snowflake! honeybun!

Jesus loves lawyers too

favrefire4

Silver

Post by favrefire4 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:03 pm

What're people thinking for tomorrow?

TXforeignlawyer

New

Post by TXforeignlawyer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:03 pm

For me, first half was a bit weird, second half better.

TXforeignlawyer

New

Post by TXforeignlawyer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:09 pm

I have pretty much looked at a flash card each for St, Comm Paper, Family, Trusts and guardianship.

I've not yet looked at my cards for Wills, Consumer. Feel like I can't take anymore in so plan to relax and look at them tomorrow at breakfast for half an hour.

How about you?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bbran340

New

Post by bbran340 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:32 pm

TXforeignlawyer wrote:I have pretty much looked at a flash card each for St, Comm Paper, Family, Trusts and guardianship.

I've not yet looked at my cards for Wills, Consumer. Feel like I can't take anymore in so plan to relax and look at them tomorrow at breakfast for half an hour.

How about you?
I feel the exact same. This test is exhausting and I'm not sure how much more my brain can take tonight. I'm doing a little review then going to look over some stuff in the morning.

Congrats everyone on surviving day two! Only one more day until freedom!

TXforeignlawyer

New

Post by TXforeignlawyer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Yeah I feel like it's counter-productive trying to cram any more in. I found yesterday that a little relaxing and getting the test out of my mind helped me sleep better and I woke up more energized today!

jcsmith

New

Post by jcsmith » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:18 pm

Legally blonde is on right now. :lol:

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:39 pm

Since y'all will read this after it's all over at this point, congratulations on finishing! Simply getting through to this side is an accomplishment in itself.

Now go have a beer, take in a movie, or bingewatch something.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”