Where to take UBE this Feb

smileyface
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am

Where to take UBE this Feb

Postby smileyface » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:59 am

[Edited to remove personal info]
Last edited by smileyface on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kellyfrost
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby kellyfrost » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:33 am

I have not transferred a UBE score or taken the UBE exam. However, I do know a few people who did do this.

It is my understanding that to transfer a UBE score into a jurisdiction, you need to achieve at least that jurisdiction's passing score. In other words, you can't take the UBE in New Mexico and score a passing 260 and transfer your score into Idaho where they require a 280 passing score.

Here are a list of the states with the lowest passing UBE score of 260:
Alabama
Minnesota
Missouri
New Mexico
North Dakota

Kansas requires a 266.

smileyface
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby smileyface » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Hi thanks for your reply.

I am aware of the basics of transferring the UBE and the score needed per jurisdiction.

I think a clearer question of my inquiry is which UBE jurisdiction has higher known pass rates. Not just the score needed.
And maybe which state may be better to have considering I'd need to keep up with CLE requirements and other additional state reqs...

Because take New Mexico as an example. You only need a 260 but the passage rate dropped tremendously. However, if it were the case that the applicant pool was just not as strong as the prepared applicants may be in Colorado.... it may be worth it to take in in NM...

Do you know if there is a thread discussing the comparisons of what is required in different jurisdictions or the cost of bar exam costs compared? I recall bumping into some previous threads that discussed requirements in Minnesota compared to another state ... and such but I can't find it via the search bar...

smileyface
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby smileyface » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:53 pm

:D Just found an article that answered the fee portion of my inquireies:

https://lawyerist.com/84674/state-state ... uirements/

State | Cost | Additional Transfer Requirements | Score Transfer Cost

Alabama---------$575----Course on Alabama law $875
Alaska-----------$800----Alaska Bar Rule 64 affidavit $800
Arizona----------$580----Course on Arizona law $625 + $200 course fee
Colorado---------$710----Six hour course on professionalism $810 November 2011
Idaho------------$600----N/A $800
Kansas----------$1250----Cannot have previously failed the written Kansas exam $1250
Minnesota-------$500 or $950 if licensed in another jurisdiction for at least 6 months + $100 laptop fee----N/A $950
Missouri---------$910----Open book test : MECT and sign Cert of Completion $1240
Montana---------$450----Attend a Montana Law Seminar $400
Nebraska---------$490 + $150 laptop fee----N/A $925
New Hampshire---$725----N/A $725
North Dakota-----$825----N/A $775
Utah-------------$550 (student) $850 (attorney) + $150 laptop fee | If less than 2 years in practice, New Lawyer Training Program. $550 (student) $850 (attorney)
Washington-------$585----Pass the Washington Law Component (online test) $785
Wyoming---------$800----N/A $800
New York---------$250----Online course and exam $250 (domestic) $750 (foreign)

ndp1234
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby ndp1234 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:04 pm

The NCBE posts a good general guide of all the requirements for all states (pass rates are not on there, but I've consulted it a few times to see where I would want to apply to be admitted if I ever find out I passed) here: http://www.ncbex.org/publications/bar-admissions-guide/

I would also factor in the length of time for results, because that's one thing I wish I had thought about before sitting in NY. Deceptively Blonde's site has an unofficial listing and the Bar Admissions guide on Table 9 has the officially reported time frames.

smileyface
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby smileyface » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:44 pm

ndp1234 wrote:The NCBE posts a good general guide of all the requirements for all states (pass rates are not on there, but I've consulted it a few times to see where I would want to apply to be admitted if I ever find out I passed) here: http://www.ncbex.org/publications/bar-admissions-guide/

I would also factor in the length of time for results, because that's one thing I wish I had thought about before sitting in NY. Deceptively Blonde's site has an unofficial listing and the Bar Admissions guide on Table 9 has the officially reported time frames.


Thanks, I hadn't considered timing of results but I'll do that right now. And best wishes on your results!

User avatar
yodamiked
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:07 am

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby yodamiked » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:13 am

The pure number of people taking it in NY makes it somewhat of a more stressful place to take it. I know comparing my experience with my friends who took it in Utah showed a drastic difference. Because of the thousands of people taking the bar at the various NY locations, everything takes way longer. So even having your exams collected for lunch takes up half of your lunch break, not to mention trying to find somewhere to eat. Both lunch breaks, by the time I finally got out of the building and got my pre-purchased lunch, I had maybe 10-15 minutes to eat. Whereas my friends in Utah were literally going to sit down restaurants at lunch time and just hanging out and relaxing during the break. So I would definitely recommend a state with fewer exam takers. It will be more relaxed and chill, and you won't be surrounded by the literally thousands of stressed-out-of-their-minds-applicants.

smileyface
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby smileyface » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:10 pm

yodamiked wrote:The pure number of people taking it in NY makes it somewhat of a more stressful place to take it. I know comparing my experience with my friends who took it in Utah showed a drastic difference. Because of the thousands of people taking the bar at the various NY locations, everything takes way longer. So even having your exams collected for lunch takes up half of your lunch break, not to mention trying to find somewhere to eat. Both lunch breaks, by the time I finally got out of the building and got my pre-purchased lunch, I had maybe 10-15 minutes to eat. Whereas my friends in Utah were literally going to sit down restaurants at lunch time and just hanging out and relaxing during the break. So I would definitely recommend a state with fewer exam takers. It will be more relaxed and chill, and you won't be surrounded by the literally thousands of stressed-out-of-their-minds-applicants.


Yea I did not plan on taking it in NY. I definitely want to transfer my score there but don't want that stress.

A friend of mine said she got a mani/pedi during her MBE break. She suggested I schedule a nail appointment to motivate me to get out before I'm unable to leave my seat :shock: But at this point I may be better off guessing on all answers so finishing early may not be a real possibility for me.

Thank you for having me consider location of test with food possibilities. Perhaps that will help me finalize my decision. I've narrowed down to 4 states now.

smileyface
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby smileyface » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:51 pm

kellyfrost wrote:I have not transferred a UBE score or taken the UBE exam. However, I do know a few people who did do this.

It is my understanding that to transfer a UBE score into a jurisdiction, you need to achieve at least that jurisdiction's passing score. In other words, you can't take the UBE in New Mexico and score a passing 260 and transfer your score into Idaho where they require a 280 passing score.

Here are a list of the states with the lowest passing UBE score of 260:
Alabama
Minnesota
Missouri
New Mexico
North Dakota

Kansas requires a 266.



Thanks for your response--I realized I was not hitting reply on your post so I hope you don't mind I did so now

I have narrowed down my choices to 4 spots (that I have no connection to and never visited).
Approx stats... Please correct me if you have an updated number.

Colorado-----------score 276----pass rate 61%-------expected # of testers 877-------results released 5/5-
Iowa----------------score 266----pass rate 71%-------expected # of testers 150-------results released 4/21
West Virginia------score 270----pass rate 67%-------expected # of testers 151-------results released 4/1
Wyoming-----------score 270-----pass rate 69%-------expected # of testers 80-------results released ???


Colorado
[*] + bc my bf wants to visit anyway
[*] \ maybe I'll get smaller room size accommodation; application seems simple
[*] - results are later and location of test may mean lackluster break options.
[*] I am confused about the holistic grading 1-6 scoring on written parts
[*] extra requirement = 6 hr (in person) course on professionalism

Iowa
[*] - the application includes an intent to practice form where I give 2 references who can attest to my intent to practice in Iowa :shock: But if my intent is to be barred so I can be a lawyer... and I know 99% I will not be move to Iowa... I guess I should write off this state too?...

West Virginia
[*] + Early score release
[*] + Only $400 bar fee

Wyoming
[*] + free retake if you fail :wink: Does this mean someone can get a 265 and transfer that score to a jurisdiction where the score passes AND still get to SIT Wyoming BAR EXAM FREE in an attempt to pass there?
[*] / idk when score is released..
[*] - 6 hr in state cle requirement w/in 6 mos

smileyface
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby smileyface » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:55 pm

Okay, looking at my last post I think it is safe to cross off Iowa, so I'm still between 3:

Colorado-----------score 276----pass rate 61%-------expected # of testers 877-------results released 5/5-
West Virginia------score 270----pass rate 67%-------expected # of testers 151-------results released 4/1
Wyoming-----------score 270-----pass rate 69%-------expected # of testers 80-------results released ???

MrT
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 am

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby MrT » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:13 pm

smileyface wrote:Okay, looking at my last post I think it is safe to cross off Iowa, so I'm still between 3:

Colorado-----------score 276----pass rate 61%-------expected # of testers 877-------results released 5/5-
West Virginia------score 270----pass rate 67%-------expected # of testers 151-------results released 4/1
Wyoming-----------score 270-----pass rate 69%-------expected # of testers 80-------results released ???

It's my understanding that Colorado adds a character limit to their essays. I would probably avoid that.

smileyface
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby smileyface » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:45 pm

MrT wrote:
smileyface wrote:Okay, looking at my last post I think it is safe to cross off Iowa, so I'm still between 3:

Colorado-----------score 276----pass rate 61%-------expected # of testers 877-------results released 5/5-
West Virginia------score 270----pass rate 67%-------expected # of testers 151-------results released 4/1
Wyoming-----------score 270-----pass rate 69%-------expected # of testers 80-------results released ???


It's my understanding that Colorado adds a character limit to their essays. I would probably avoid that.


Wow, :| I'm not sure how I feel about Colorado's character limitations.

I looked it up and it seems most people hate it... But I remember being in school and hearing people rapidly slamming their fingertips on their keyboards during exams and wishing I could type very fast so I could crank out many pages assuming my raised quantity would not diminish my quality.

User avatar
kellyfrost
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby kellyfrost » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:53 pm

Montana.

smileyface
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby smileyface » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:11 am

kellyfrost wrote:Montana.


Yes I think that state may have been good.

But I think I took Montana off my list bc the regular app deadline was earlier this month.

smileyface
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby smileyface » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:43 am

*** Just realized that West Virginia doesn't start UBE until July 2017 ***

User avatar
haus
Posts: 3791
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby haus » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:21 pm

Taking a different angle on this, it would be nice to have easy access to info on how well a jurisdiction administered the exam (seem to recall horror stories related the exam this summer in DC) and the relative convince/comfort of the exam site.

ndp1234
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby ndp1234 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:04 pm

haus wrote:Taking a different angle on this, it would be nice to have easy access to info on how well a jurisdiction administered the exam (seem to recall horror stories related the exam this summer in DC) and the relative convince/comfort of the exam site.



I would check ATL. They always have all the horror stories that seem to occur in the legal world.

rkreymer
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:35 pm

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby rkreymer » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:08 am

So what's your final choice?

SpringWater
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:57 am

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby SpringWater » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:12 am

This.

Does anyone know if each state jurisdiction is responsible for grading the written portion of exams taken in their jurisdiction?

I am thinking of retaking the UBE in a state where there are a small number of applicants. The reason is because I believe the NY graders arbitrarily grade the written portion because there are so many exams to grade, however, at a jurisdiction with considerably less applicants, I am inclined to think that the graders will spend quality time on your essays and give you a more accurate grade.


User avatar
lolabear727
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb + possibly with accomodations

Postby lolabear727 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:13 pm

SpringWater wrote:This.

Does anyone know if each state jurisdiction is responsible for grading the written portion of exams taken in their jurisdiction?

I am thinking of retaking the UBE in a state where there are a small number of applicants. The reason is because I believe the NY graders arbitrarily grade the written portion because there are so many exams to grade, however, at a jurisdiction with considerably less applicants, I am inclined to think that the graders will spend quality time on your essays and give you a more accurate grade.


Did you end up taking it in another jurisdiction? Did you pass and waive in where you wanted to be? Update please! I'm thinking about doing the same thing for February.

blaze1306
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Where to take UBE this Feb

Postby blaze1306 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:05 am

I have little good to say about New Mexico, but only because of "sour grapes". The facility and how the exam is run is spot on, they really know what they are doing...no issues. Passing is relatively high at over 80%, I have not been successful (I have taken it three times and just failed July by 2 points because of a 1 on an MPT) but others seem to do well. The numbers of takers will be low. I know from experience the Feb. bar should be about 60-80 takers. The test is in Albuquerque, a good fly in/fly out city.

If I take it again I am considering Missouri ,DC or Minnesota. I have heard some really bad horror stories about DC...but with mass transit and a million hotels nearby it could be OK. Missouri test is in Jefferson City and that's not easy to get to from Saint Louis, but the pass rate seems good there also.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests