New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Usa0523

New

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Post by Usa0523 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:53 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:
blaze1306 wrote:I said I would post my results here they are:

MEE
Torts 3
Con Law 2
Secured Trans 4
Decedents Estates 4
Evidence 5
Civ Pro 3

MPT
Peek et al v. Stern 2
In re Zimmerman 1

UBE TOTAL=258
Needed to pass-260
Written scaled-129.7
MBE scaled -128.7

I am absolutely furious I got a 1 on the MPT...I wrote the most of all on that MPT, I used cases... formatted correctly. I did not deserve a 1!

You need to work on MPT and find a better forum, get out of a state with a 260 pass score because the standards on MEE and MPT somehow seem heightened in a 260 state. Take it in a state that requires a higher score, the subjectivity is killing you with the minimum score. You can do this, I just don't think passing with NM graders is going to be all that easy.

Edit: before you start bashing, who says a NY grader might not given a 2 on Zimmerman and a 3 on Con Law. It's sad that one has to consider forum shopping on a bar exam, but while each state has its own graders and embedded standards (from the old days, old practices die hard), it might just come down to that.

Does anyone have insight on MPT grading? I thought you got a 1 if you wrote next to nothing...so dumb that that cost you a passing score. Sorry to see that. Also which MPT was that? I'm paranoid now that the MPT won't help me but could cost me

blaze1306

Bronze

Post by blaze1306 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:37 pm

Usa0523 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:

MEE
Torts 3
Con Law 2
Secured Trans 4
Decedents Estates 4
Evidence 5
Civ Pro 3

MPT
Peek et al v. Stern 2
In re Zimmerman 1

UBE TOTAL=258
Needed to pass-260
Written scaled-129.7
MBE scaled -128.7

I am absolutely furious I got a 1 on the MPT...I wrote the most of all on that MPT, I used cases... formatted correctly. I did not deserve a 1!

You need to work on MPT and find a better forum, get out of a state with a 260 pass score because the standards on MEE and MPT somehow seem heightened in a 260 state. Take it in a state that requires a higher score, the subjectivity is killing you with the minimum score. You can do this, I just don't think passing with NM graders is going to be all that easy.

Edit: before you start bashing, who says a NY grader might not given a 2 on Zimmerman and a 3 on Con Law. It's sad that one has to consider forum shopping on a bar exam, but while each state has its own graders and embedded standards (from the old days, old practices die hard), it might just come down to that.

Does anyone have insight on MPT grading? I thought you got a 1 if you wrote next to nothing...so dumb that that cost you a passing score. Sorry to see that. Also which MPT was that? I'm paranoid now that the MPT won't help me but could cost me

The MPT that screwed me was In Re Zimmerman the one about the bird sanctuary.
Scale was 1-6 and I firmly believe I did NOT deserve a 1.

dimetech

New

Post by dimetech » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:49 pm

blaze1306 wrote:
Usa0523 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:

MEE
Torts 3
Con Law 2
Secured Trans 4
Decedents Estates 4
Evidence 5
Civ Pro 3

MPT
Peek et al v. Stern 2
In re Zimmerman 1

UBE TOTAL=258
Needed to pass-260
Written scaled-129.7
MBE scaled -128.7

The only way I can fathom you got a 1 is if you didn't talk about statutory interpretation at all, cuz that was basically the whole point of that PT. Other than that, that's pretty unfortunate dude. Also, try to think of it this way: you could have either gotten another point or 2 on the PT, or literally have gotten one extra MBE question correct. Try not to be too hard on yrself. Yr close.

Usa0523

New

Post by Usa0523 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:05 pm

I mean I feel like there is more than one thing to talk about where you'd get at least partial credit, idk. A 1 on an MPT seems really tough

Bimmerfan

New

Post by Bimmerfan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:33 am

blaze1306 wrote:
Usa0523 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:

MEE
Torts 3
Con Law 2
Secured Trans 4
Decedents Estates 4
Evidence 5
Civ Pro 3

MPT
Peek et al v. Stern 2
In re Zimmerman 1

UBE TOTAL=258
Needed to pass-260
Written scaled-129.7
MBE scaled -128.7

Blaze - did you improve your score on each subsequent exam attempt? you only missed passing July 17 by two points, but I do fully understand wanting to give up and not have to go through the hoops of sitting for another exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blaze1306

Bronze

Post by blaze1306 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:25 am

Bimmerfan wrote:
blaze1306 wrote:
Usa0523 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:

MEE
Torts 3
Con Law 2
Secured Trans 4
Decedents Estates 4
Evidence 5
Civ Pro 3

MPT
Peek et al v. Stern 2
In re Zimmerman 1

UBE TOTAL=258
Needed to pass-260
Written scaled-129.7
MBE scaled -128.7

Blaze - did you improve your score on each subsequent exam attempt? you only missed passing July 17 by two points, but I do fully understand wanting to give up and not have to go through the hoops of sitting for another exam.

3 exams 11, 16 and now 2 points away.

I cant imagine having to do the entire thing over again and another 5 months of studying for 2 points.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:41 am

blaze1306 wrote:
Bimmerfan wrote:
blaze1306 wrote:
Usa0523 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:

MEE
Torts 3
Con Law 2
Secured Trans 4
Decedents Estates 4
Evidence 5
Civ Pro 3

MPT
Peek et al v. Stern 2
In re Zimmerman 1

UBE TOTAL=258
Needed to pass-260
Written scaled-129.7
MBE scaled -128.7

I cant imagine having to do the entire thing over again and another 5 months of studying for 2 points.

I'm so sorry, you worked so hard to get so close. Chin up, you'll get there.

dimetech

New

Post by dimetech » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:01 am

blaze1306 wrote:
Bimmerfan wrote:
blaze1306 wrote:
Usa0523 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:

MEE
Torts 3
Con Law 2
Secured Trans 4
Decedents Estates 4
Evidence 5
Civ Pro 3

MPT
Peek et al v. Stern 2
In re Zimmerman 1

UBE TOTAL=258
Needed to pass-260
Written scaled-129.7
MBE scaled -128.7

Don't study for 5 months. That's an issue right there. You need to be "hot" when the bar hits. 2.5-3 months max.

blaze1306

Bronze

Post by blaze1306 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:19 am

dimetech wrote:
blaze1306 wrote:
Bimmerfan wrote:
blaze1306 wrote:
Usa0523 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:

MEE
Torts 3
Con Law 2
Secured Trans 4
Decedents Estates 4
Evidence 5
Civ Pro 3

MPT
Peek et al v. Stern 2
In re Zimmerman 1

UBE TOTAL=258
Needed to pass-260
Written scaled-129.7
MBE scaled -128.7

Don't study for 5 months. That's an issue right there. You need to be "hot" when the bar hits. 2.5-3 months max.

That's assuming I have time to spend 8-10 hours a day for 2.5 months, I don't have that kinda time. The only way I will finish Themis again is by starting now and doing a few hours a day plus weekends

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jibjib40

New

Post by Jibjib40 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:20 pm

@blaze https://youtu.be/W4ZlA0GmE2Q

You were really close. It took me two tries on FLA this go around. It took me three tries on NY before I made it.

I'm one of the best attorneys in my office. And I'm not saying that to boast. This test is not a reflection of your reality or your ability. I'm sure you've heard people tell you this but a lot of them make it seem like they passed with ease! Easier said then done for some of us. But I can echo their sentiments regarding what value to assign to the test as it relates to you as a person or practicing attorney.

My quick story: I always suffered from test anxiety and began taking medication. It made a world of difference for me bc game day was like any other day. I had a clear head and didn't panic when things were not going well at points in the exam. That's my situation but if you feel the weight of the world taking this thing maybe you have it to and don't know. Or maybe something else. Never be afraid to speak to someone.

Sorry for giving my two cents without request, but I've been in your place and want you to succeed. You can succeed.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:40 pm

Jibjib40 wrote:@blaze https://youtu.be/W4ZlA0GmE2Q

You were really close. It took me two tries on FLA this go around. It took me three tries on NY before I made it.

I'm one of the best attorneys in my office. And I'm not saying that to boast. This test is not a reflection of your reality or your ability. I'm sure you've heard people tell you this but a lot of them make it seem like they passed with ease! Easier said then done for some of us. But I can echo their sentiments regarding what value to assign to the test as it relates to you as a person or practicing attorney.

My quick story: I always suffered from test anxiety and began taking medication. It made a world of difference for me bc game day was like any other day. I had a clear head and didn't panic when things were not going well at points in the exam. That's my situation but if you feel the weight of the world taking this thing maybe you have it to and don't know. Or maybe something else. Never be afraid to speak to someone.

Sorry for giving my two cents without request, but I've been in your place and want you to succeed. You can succeed.
I have similar experience as a testaphobe, but it's only the tests where you have no clue going into it. It took me 3 tries on the LSAT and 4 law school applications to get out top of class. For me being overprepared and having the grace of God following me helped significantly on my second successful bar exam in July in FL.

As for preparing, I had a job and started prepping April 1 and just went ham at it, binging lectures on the weekends and doing MBE questions with lots of coffee and toothpicks under my eyelids. Making attack outlines as I went helped significantly, I also am a single parent to an 8 year old.

ramone1954

New

Post by ramone1954 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:10 pm

blaze1306 wrote:
Bimmerfan wrote:
blaze1306 wrote:
Usa0523 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:

MEE
Torts 3
Con Law 2
Secured Trans 4
Decedents Estates 4
Evidence 5
Civ Pro 3

MPT
Peek et al v. Stern 2
In re Zimmerman 1

UBE TOTAL=258
Needed to pass-260
Written scaled-129.7
MBE scaled -128.7

I would just appeal it. You're well within the 6-point range. It's very possible that you are given two points more on the written portion.

blaze1306

Bronze

Post by blaze1306 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:56 pm

ramone1954 wrote:
blaze1306 wrote:
Bimmerfan wrote:
blaze1306 wrote:
Usa0523 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:

MEE
Torts 3
Con Law 2
Secured Trans 4
Decedents Estates 4
Evidence 5
Civ Pro 3

MPT
Peek et al v. Stern 2
In re Zimmerman 1

UBE TOTAL=258
Needed to pass-260
Written scaled-129.7
MBE scaled -128.7

I would just appeal it. You're well within the 6-point range. It's very possible that you are given two points more on the written portion.
There are no appeals in UBE jurisdictions. Supposedly if you are within the 5-6 points of passing you exam is reviewed for "errors in calculations", But there is no grounds to appeal a substantive score...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”