New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
passx3

New

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Post by passx3 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:41 pm

BillCooper wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:To me, you're underestimating the idea that gaming a standardized test is a skill that someone who gets a 170 on the LSAT understands. Someone who got a sub 150 score probably doesn't understand.

Blaze -- by your own account you didn't really study on how to game the LSAT and you didn't take a bar review course. So you never really have studied the strategies associated with law school standardized testing. The fact that you bombed the MBE portion bolsters that point.

The same, IMO could be said for students who couldn't get a 150 on the LSAT. Since students raise their LSAT scores through studying/tutoring/prep classes, there is no particular reason to think they are smarter -- because on diagnostic testing they may have scored in the sub 150's before tutoring. But they learned the tips, tricks, strategies, study methods that raised their score to a real 160-170.

I don't think there is any conspiracy other than that. If the UBE was looking to screw minority students I think they would do it with the essay portion, which you did well on.

I do think GPA matters because if you're constantly at the bottom of your class at a lower ranked law school it probably means you didn't learn anything or retain any of the information that you'll need for the bar exam. Bottom of class students at Harvard are going to be different than bottom of the class students at a lower ranked school. We can discuss why if you disagree.

You simply need to learn the MBE and you'll be fine.

Can't agree more. I was a complete moron, borderline mentally retarded idiot in law school that finished at the bottom of my class. After a month of studying, I cut a 144 on the MBE. It's simply (a) learning the elements of the law, and (b) learning the tricks and snares of the MBE.
Wasn't bottom of my class, but I have to echo this sentiment. Any idiot can get a 145+ MBE. Do all of the Adaptibar questions, read all of the explanations in detail, do all of the Kaplan MBE course, and there will be no surprises on the MBE. You will have seen it all before and the right answers will jump out at you. This was my method, got a 167 while working full time.

guzmanator

New

Post by guzmanator » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:02 pm

This question is for everyone that has already passed the UBE bar exam. I am taking the NM bar this February. For various reasons, I was unable to begin the Barbri course until late last week, and so am very behind (and more than freaking out about it :shock: Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to go about studying for this in the most effective way with the time I have left? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

ramone1954

New

Post by ramone1954 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:50 pm

I think you all had bits of reason in your comments. This is not the first time UNM Law has had a low bar passage. So it all comes down to the type of class that was admitted; some students did not take the bar exam seriously in the UNM Class of 2016. Those that did pass were the "harder"-working students. The Class of 2017 was a focused class with good work ethic (from personal experience). The bar exam scores are moving upward for UNM Law first-time takers (http://lawschool.unm.edu/students/bar/results.html). This upward movement could also be because UNM started teaching more UBE-subject courses, and many of the courses have multiple-choice questions now, rather than sole essay questions.

As for the Law Review, it baffles me that students think they can just cruise law school without attempting either the Moot Court or Law Review write-on. Sure, you can get a job/clerkship, but not necessarily everyone that skipped the write-ons will be at a top firm or with a decent judge.

The school will have to wait for the July 2017 bar exam results to determine whether it is doing things correctly and whether the low bar-passage was just a fluke because of the Class of 2016.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:50 pm

This isn't rocket science, folks. The scores are decreasing because people are spending more time on Facebook and Instagram than they are immersed in their legal studies. And lets not forget that law school used to be a four-year commitment. Now, you can do it in three years. I think that makes a difference as well.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:55 pm

... the AALS mandated that law requires a 3 year course of study in 1906. The LLB (4 year undergrad degree in law) hasn't been a thing since the 1970s.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:06 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:This isn't rocket science, folks. The scores are decreasing because people are spending more time on Facebook and Instagram than they are immersed in their legal studies. And lets not forget that law school used to be a four-year commitment. Now, you can do it in three years. I think that makes a difference as well.
Did you fail because you spent too much time on Facebook and Instagram, or are you just dumb?
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:07 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:This isn't rocket science, folks. The scores are decreasing because people are spending more time on Facebook and Instagram than they are immersed in their legal studies. And lets not forget that law school used to be a four-year commitment. Now, you can do it in three years. I think that makes a difference as well.
Did you fail because you spent too much time on Facebook and Instagram, or are you just dumb?
Why not both?.gif

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:29 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:... the AALS mandated that law requires a 3 year course of study in 1906. The LLB (4 year undergrad degree in law) hasn't been a thing since the 1970s.

I have a four-year degree.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:33 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Fail what? Dumb? I'm not the one who can't engage in a conversation without name-calling. How old are you? Three? I don't know what you do for a living, but you will never, ever, be a lawyer. Give up. Oh, and don't answer, I won't be back to this forum. TLS has gotten as bad as the others. No grownups anywhere in sight.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:49 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:... the AALS mandated that law requires a 3 year course of study in 1906. The LLB (4 year undergrad degree in law) hasn't been a thing since the 1970s.

From an ABA-accredited US full-time program? You are absolutely outside the norm and have been for probably 40 years. I also doubt your program has better bar passage rates than three-year programs.

(Also saying that people fail because they spend too much time on Instagram or Facebook is a only slightly subtler form of name-calling.)

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Fail what? Dumb? I'm not the one who can't engage in a conversation without name-calling. How old are you? Three? I don't know what you do for a living, but you will never, ever, be a lawyer. Give up. Oh, and don't answer, I won't be back to this forum. TLS has gotten as bad as the others. No grownups anywhere in sight.
Mid-30s, practicing attorney, passed the bar the first time, checking in.

I'm name calling because you're citing Facebook and Instagram as reasons for failing the bar, when you have actually failed the bar. Also that was phrased as a question, so it wasn't technically name calling.

As a bonus you referenced four years of law school, which hasn't been a thing in over a century.

ETA:

For reference:
InterAlia1961 wrote:Failed. !@#$@#$
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... A#p9986251
InterAlia1961 wrote:First-time Adaptibar user. This is my FOURTH try at the CBX. Passed the MBE all three times. Failed the written portion on the re-read all three times. I'm not loving Adaptiar's questions.Take question 132/torts/other torts. There, the defendant cannot be convicted of defamation. They may be convicted of the tort of Invasion of Privacy, which encompasses Misappropriation of Image and False Light Representation, which is what we are dealing with in this question. It's not defamation unless the party to which the communication is directed understands it to be defamatory. In question 132, there is no defamatory communication.

If someone can show me how this is defamation, I would appreciate it.
Glass houses sink ships and whatnot.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:32 am

Damn, failures calling others dumb for failing... and then complaining about name calling. Pathetic.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:40 pm

Wanna call me a failure?

Took me 3 tries to break 150 on LSAT

Final law school GPA above 4.0 at night, final rank 1/222. Passed UBE every state first shot.

What was that about LSAT?

I guess I am a failure b/c I could never figure out the LSAT only cuz of what you say, but my law school stats are different. I guess I'm not a failure after all....the LSAT is the failure to me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:26 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:Wanna call me a failure?

Final law school GPA above 4.0 at night, final rank 1/222. Passed UBE every state first shot.

I guess I am a failure b/c I could never figure out the LSAT only cuz of what you say, but my law school stats are different. I guess I'm not a failure after all....the LSAT is the failure to me.
Why would you be a failure?

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:19 pm

MODS PLZ

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:10 am

lavarman84 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:Wanna call me a failure?

Why would you be a failure?
Just following the logic of some folks above.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:19 pm

InterAlia is the only failure in this thread. Let's agree on that and get back to how weird New Mexico is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blaze1306

Bronze

Post by blaze1306 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:05 pm

Ok... New Mexico July 2017 bar results are out and I failed for the third straight time. I think I'm done. I am ready to accept that the practice of law is not for me. This is the lowest I have felt since I began law school and now I've had enough. This test has my number, and the most frustrating thing about it is I don't know how to fix it. I should get my scores by this weekend but honestly I don't care. If I failed by 1 point or 50 its still a fail.

I'm ready to accept that maybe I'm not smart enough.

Its some how cathartic to know that for the first time in almost two years, I wont be studying for the bar or waiting for disappointing results. This doesn't have anything to do with my law school (Tier 4 and graduated in 2013), or how I studied ( I took the Themis course this time) I just cannot succeed at this test.

I have a JD and even though it means next to nothing, now I will move on to something else, move out of New Mexico, to a part of the country I want to live in and continue my life without being an attorney.

There have been a number of people on this site with encouragement through my failures and I really appreciate that, may the community continue to prosper and thrive.
PEACE

blaze1306

Bronze

Post by blaze1306 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:29 pm

I said I would post my results here they are:

MEE
Torts 3
Con Law 2
Secured Trans 4
Decedents Estates 4
Evidence 5
Civ Pro 3

MPT
Peek et al v. Stern 2
In re Zimmerman 1

UBE TOTAL=258
Needed to pass-260
Written scaled-129.7
MBE scaled -128.7

I am absolutely furious I got a 1 on the MPT...I wrote the most of all on that MPT, I used cases... formatted correctly. I did not deserve a 1!

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:23 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:

From an ABA-accredited US full-time program? You are absolutely outside the norm and have been for probably 40 years. I also doubt your program has better bar passage rates than three-year programs.

(Also saying that people fail because they spend too much time on Instagram or Facebook is a only slightly subtler form of name-calling.)

I have a 4 year degree, then again I went part time at night.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:27 pm

blaze1306 wrote:I said I would post my results here they are:

MEE
Torts 3
Con Law 2
Secured Trans 4
Decedents Estates 4
Evidence 5
Civ Pro 3

MPT
Peek et al v. Stern 2
In re Zimmerman 1

UBE TOTAL=258
Needed to pass-260
Written scaled-129.7
MBE scaled -128.7

I am absolutely furious I got a 1 on the MPT...I wrote the most of all on that MPT, I used cases... formatted correctly. I did not deserve a 1!

You need to work on MPT and find a better forum, get out of a state with a 260 pass score because the standards on MEE and MPT somehow seem heightened in a 260 state. Take it in a state that requires a higher score, the subjectivity is killing you with the minimum score. You can do this, I just don't think passing with NM graders is going to be all that easy.

Edit: before you start bashing, who says a NY grader might not given a 2 on Zimmerman and a 3 on Con Law. It's sad that one has to consider forum shopping on a bar exam, but while each state has its own graders and embedded standards (from the old days, old practices die hard), it might just come down to that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blaze1306

Bronze

Post by blaze1306 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:19 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:

MEE
Torts 3
Con Law 2
Secured Trans 4
Decedents Estates 4
Evidence 5
Civ Pro 3

MPT
Peek et al v. Stern 2
In re Zimmerman 1

UBE TOTAL=258
Needed to pass-260
Written scaled-129.7
MBE scaled -128.7

You need to work on MPT and find a better forum, get out of a state with a 260 pass score because the standards on MEE and MPT somehow seem heightened in a 260 state. Take it in a state that requires a higher score, the subjectivity is killing you with the minimum score. You can do this, I just don't think passing with NM graders is going to be all that easy.

Edit: before you start bashing, who says a NY grader might not given a 2 on Zimmerman and a 3 on Con Law. It's sad that one has to consider forum shopping on a bar exam, but while each state has its own graders and embedded standards (from the old days, old practices die hard), it might just come down to that.

Since I was so close I am intrigued by the idea of maybe DC or Colorado I don't seem to be getting a decent shake from the graders here...I'd like to hear some arguments.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:27 pm

blaze1306 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:

MEE
Torts 3
Con Law 2
Secured Trans 4
Decedents Estates 4
Evidence 5
Civ Pro 3

MPT
Peek et al v. Stern 2
In re Zimmerman 1

UBE TOTAL=258
Needed to pass-260
Written scaled-129.7
MBE scaled -128.7

Since I was so close I am intrigued by the idea of maybe DC or Colorado I don't seem to be getting a decent shake from the graders here...I'd like to hear some arguments.
DC is horrendous with their testing site, horror stories run a plenty, late starts, lost test booklets, etc. NJ may be a viable option if you can keep focused as that site is in Atlantic City.

Kalani111

New

Post by Kalani111 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Yep, even mild MPT improvement and you will pass. Don't give up when you are two points away.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Improve on MPT, goto another state, and who knows....end up with a fully transferable score.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”