Real MBE Scores Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Nrmm

New

Re: Real MBE Scores

Post by Nrmm » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:31 am

I am a Foreign Lawyer,take the bar with LL.M.
Because English is my second language,I read slower and ran out of time on MBE (randomly choose around 5 both AM,PM)

Barbri stimulated = 141
MBE (NY) = 150

imnottelling

New

Post by imnottelling » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:17 am

Simulated Barbri MBE: 142/200 (I think?)
I was consistently getting between 66-72% on longer sets (50+ answers). On fluke days (maybe twice), I would score between 78-82%.
Scaled MBE score: 168.2

Thought the first section was difficult, but doable. Well prepared by Barbri. The second section broke my soul. I remember saying "fuck" under my breath in the middle of it. I thought there were a good 60 questions where I was in between 2-3 answers.

Passed July 2016 NY Bar.
Last edited by imnottelling on Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:26 am

Barbri Midterm: 143/200
Refresher: 73/100
Actual MBE: 168 scaled.

Did heaps of Adaptibar questions (except civpro) and most of barbri. Was around 75% on adaptibar. Felt super prepared. Thought I crushed the first section, had more problems with the second. Left the exam pretty confidant.

lawyer2000

New

Post by lawyer2000 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:31 am

First 100 questions of barbri simulated: 76
Scaled mbe: 168.2
Total ube: 328

Felt terrible after essays. Felt okay with Mbe.

ellewoods123

Bronze

Post by ellewoods123 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:50 am

Barbri Simulated: 141
Real MBE: 152.7

Felt okay about the MBE, but would not say I felt confident after it.

Felt absolutely horrible about the written portion. Didn't finish an MPT and wrote gibberish for the sec trans essay question.

Passed NY with a 308.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

New

Post by 04815162342 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:07 am

Used Barbri for test prep, also took the Kaplan simulated final (from their three-day course).

Barbri midterm: 114
Kaplan final: 115
Actual MBE: 135
Total: 291

Did not feel good about anything. Took an entire week off in early July after a death in the family. Didn't feel good about the MBE and don't remember getting that "string of Ds" that everyone talked about. I've always been a good writer, but since I was short on time, I used the efficientbarprep essay topic predictions, only 2 of which were correct. So I pretty much bullshitted every single essay, and the only one I felt okay about was civ pro.

chicagolawyer1

New

Post by chicagolawyer1 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:16 am

-which bar prep company's practice test you took and any practice test score: BARBRI, 133
-real MBE score: 160.1
-how you felt post-MBE: not great. MBE is hard for everybody.
-the state you took: New York, UBE, total score: 338
-anything else you think is notable: I worked full time. I actually firmly believe working full time made be use my studying time more effectively and more efficiently. I studied from 6pm to midnight during the weeknights, all day on the weekends, and crammed 3 weeks beforehand (took work off). I watched all the lectures on double speed because those are by far the least helpful part of BARBRI (or any study software). But, still useful to lay the groundwork. I did all recommended practice essays BARBRI suggested, THOUGH I DID NOT WRITE THEM OUT. I think this is something you personally need to decide for yourself; I am a good test taker, and did well on law school exams, so practicing "Writing out answers" wasn't useful for me. I found it extremely beneficial to issue spot, and then read the model answers. I read and issue spotted every single model answer and essay BARBRI provided. HIGHLY recommend this. I was prepared for any little niche issue on an essay and I got 178 out of 200 points on the MEE/MPT portion. As for the MBE, I also did all practice sets BARBRI recommended. Take the time to read every single question and why you got it wrong -- read why ALL other answers are wrong and internally understand why the correct answer is correct. 90% of your studying time is understanding the material, the last 2 weeks are pure memorization of basic rules. I ordered the CriticalPass flashcards for this, and found them extremely helpful. I didn't have time to make my own flashcards working full time.

In the end, know your own weaknesses. I knew MPT would be very strong for me, so I did one practice of those. I knew I was a good essay writer, so I didn't waste my time writing out answers even though BARBRI told me to. I knew I would benefit most from practice MBE questions, studying why the answers are correct and others are wrong, and issue spotting every essay provided. Don't follow BARBRI or any test software blindly. Use it as a guide, and tailor it to your weaknesses and strengths. Don't get in your own head. I guarantee you are smarter than the test, and can pass.

didntretake

New

Post by didntretake » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:29 pm

Passed New York
Barbri Simulated - approx. 126
Real MBE - 165.6
Didn't feel particularly good or bad, just mostly dead inside my soul
Did about 500-600 Adaptibar questions, was hitting about 70%, and found them very helpful

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:53 pm

Took Themis. I do not have access to my original simulated scores. But I remember being below average most of the time (~55%) on the simulated exams as well as all the PQ sets. Took Virginia. Felt okay both days. Had ample extra time on MBE day- just sat at the table for like an hour for each session. Finished just over 90% of Themis, but did not fully write out many essays. Drilled MBE questions- I did about 2000. Also did Strategies & Tactics. 'Studied' about 10-12 hours a day. Fully read large outlines and other outlines for each subject. Listened to all lectures at 2x. Studied the morning of the exam.

I believed I passed because I did what Themis told me to do, but I was worried there was a small chance I did not pass. I ended up passing, but Virginia does not release scores unless you failed.

I would recommend Themis. It provides just the right about of stress. And I would recommend S&T, although there are repeat questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:14 pm

Barbri
Midterm: 150/200 raw score. Forget scaled score. Did they give us one?
MBE: 169.9
NY/MA
Overall: 332

Felt mixed post-MBE. Didn't struggle for time but didn't feel as easy as the midterm.
Felt terrible after the essays. Didn't leave any blank or anything but definitely had no idea what to say on secured transactions for example. Felt OK on MPT given complete lack of practice.
Last edited by onionz on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:14 pm

Passed NY - Barbri

Simulated midterm: 137/200
Refresher: 67/100
Real MBE: 142.9
UBE: 295

Felt like I was narrowing down most of the questions to two choices and almost guessing on all of them.

Finished all written and mbe sections. Felt very good about MPT and shitty about MEE.

JoeySkoko

New

Post by JoeySkoko » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Passed NY - Barbri

Simulated midterm: 147/200
Refresher: 64/100
Real MBE: 170
UBE: 345

Finished with an hour to spare on both. The only ones I went back and changed I later realised i was wrong haha. Thought afternoon was worse.

Finished all written and mbe sections. Felt very good about MPT and pretty meh about MEE - especially question 1 and the secured transactions one.

QuasiINrem

New

Post by QuasiINrem » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:51 pm

Passed NY bar. Themis. Finished 100% but more like 95%
Answered all except 2 practice essays
Answered all MPTs
Finished all MBE questions (60-65% range) plus additional 700 (80-85% range) adaptibar

Mock MBE - 112/400
Actual scaled - 145.9
Total 287

After the test I felt good about the first day. Felt like shit for MBE and already studied like a work horse. Was an emotional week a few days before the release. Almost got fired from my job because I checked TLS every freaking minute. IT flagged it. But doesn't matter now I passed and I'm glad I did what I did.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grifflax

New

Post by Grifflax » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Passed NY
Completed 99% of Barbri.
Mock MBE -103... was pretty stressed after this.
Exam MBE : 142.2.

Total 292

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:54 pm

NY -- Barbri

I completed 99% + completed an extra 200 question set from Emmanuel's.

Simulated: 136
Refresher: 79 (anomaly)
Emmanuels: 139

MBE: 152.1
MEE/MPT: 168
UBE: 320

Felt great about MEE but barely finished (I only had 20 minutes remaining going into the CivPro question). I had guessed on a few rules for secured transactions and contracts that I checked later and ended up nailing. MPT was a weak spot for me during prep. Luckily I started on the second one (tax) and spent an extra 10 minutes on it. Was able to completely finish both.

For the MBE, I felt great in the AM but had some serious ADD in the PM. Finished both with ~30 minutes remaining. Overall, I was fairly confident I passed.

Zongo

New

Post by Zongo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Barbri simulated: 142 correct
Mbe actual score scaled: 169
Total ube (ny): 328

I did 99% of the Barbri psp. Also, did two of the released sets of questions by ncbe (around 75-80 percent correct). I felt confident with my first half of the mbe, not great (but ok) with the second half. I felt like I bullshitted the essays, seemed like a daze. My computer froze at beginning of mpts and lost about 15 minutes. Ended up doing ok. Happy with the pass

MinnieMouse

New

Post by MinnieMouse » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:04 pm

Foreign educated lawyer here. Did the LLM and PASSED the NY Bar on my first time.

I took Barbri and completed almost 90% of the program. I also used Adaptibar practice questions.

After the Bar I felt very confident about my essays and MPT but the PM portion of the MBE day made me feel that I failed completely. My feeling was that I was guessing most of the time.

My total UBE score was 293 and MBE scaled score 140.8 (no idea of my real MBE score). On my Barbri midterm I scored 110.

The feeling of receiving the email saying CONGRATULATIONS is beyond this world. I cried like a baby here and jumped so high when I got the email that I broke my ankle (!!). Seriously: cast + clutches + champagne to celebrate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

canijustsleep

New

Post by canijustsleep » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:24 pm

NY, Themis:

Officially completed something like 85% of the course. I never did the full MEE and it was sitting at the top of my queue for a while, so I didn't get credit for a lot of review.

Completed all but one MBE set, 79% average overall for the entire course, 142 raw on the midterm. During the last week, I had several sets where I felt aggressively angry and apathetic the entire time - I usually scored in the 60s on those. I felt that way all day on MBE day and just couldn't calm down. During the afternoon session, I went through and counted how many questions I was 100% sure about and got 22. Plus, from the chatter on this forum it seemed like every single time I'd been between two choices, I guessed wrong. So, I was terrified.

Passed with a 345, 168.2 MBE.

Overall, I would recommend Themis. I had instincts for every single essay question and was able to spend the entire time just spitting out whatever had popped into my head. I wasn't sure how good those instincts were at the time, but apparantly they were right on. No MBE question was a complete surprise: I always knew what they were asking even if I wasn't at all sure what the right response was. There were a few where I could picture where the answer was in the Themis outline (ahem fair housing act), but couldn't remember what it said - which is on me, not Themis.
Last edited by canijustsleep on Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:00 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:Passed NY - Barbri

Felt like I was narrowing down most of the questions to two choices and almost guessing on all of them.

Finished all written and mbe sections. Felt very good about MPT and shitty about MEE.
Congrats.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:02 pm

Passed NY, did about 90% of Barbri, but I want to say that a lot of that was checking off without doing, especially review/prep for lectures.

I think my simulated MBE was 150ish.

Real thing - Scaled MBE: 169.9.
Total: 333

Just trust the process. Do Themis/Barbri to a decent completion and you will probably be fine.

I felt not awesome about the exam (but I always feel shitty about tests, my whole life) but felt okay based on indicators on passing (school, rank, LSAT, etc). It was higher than I expected though.

AndroidLawyer

New

Post by AndroidLawyer » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:22 am

NY UBE

Barbri Simulated: 156
Scaled MBE: 166.5
Total UBE: 324

Did 93% of Barbri PSP. Also did some of the practice problems and practice exams in Emanuels.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:44 am

Passed NY UBE with Themis. Super happy with Themis.

Midterm: 122
Real MBE 148.9
Total: 281 (needed 266)

Did every single Themis PQ set - I think it added up to like 2500 PQs and all the essays. Reviewed the model answers to all the practice essays the week before. Also used critical pass starting second week of July on for memorization drills.

Felt horrible about the essay portion - went home and cried for like 3 hours. Couldn't sleep for the next day. Left the secured trans question blank.

Felt good about MBE - thought it could have been worse.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:08 am

mvp99 wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:Passed NY - Barbri

Congrats.
Thanks man you too. I strongly believe our thread this summer gave me, and probably all of us an edge.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:12 am

ellewoods123 wrote:Barbri Simulated: 141
Real MBE: 152.7

Felt okay about the MBE, but would not say I felt confident after it.

Felt absolutely horrible about the written portion. Didn't finish an MPT and wrote gibberish for the sec trans essay question.

Passed NY with a 308.
CONGRATS!!!

AlabamaLawyer1988

New

Post by AlabamaLawyer1988 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:10 am

Kaplan Bar Review
Practice MBE......108 on the midterm and a 114 on the final
Actual MBE....138.6
Walked out of the exam thinking I literally missed every single question and that the style of the real MBE questions were wayyyyyy different that the practice questions.
Passed Alabama with room to spare.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”