NY Admission Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Nybar2015

New

NY Admission Application

Post by Nybar2015 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:32 pm

Please help me with these two questions in the NY Bar admission form:

1. Are there any unsatisfied judgments against you?
My ans: Since the question says "are there" (not were there), I understand that they are asking for current unsatisfied judgments.
Currently I dont have any unsatisfied judgments but I had a letter from a debt collection agency that I owed $150 for a transaction which I totally forgot as I was out of the country for 5 years (not an excuse). Anyways I paid the debt and its sorted. Do I still need to disclose this fact when the question asks if I have any current unsatisfied judgments?

2. Do you owe any debt for $300 or more, which is past due for over 90 days?
My ans: I currently dont have any debts. In the past (4-5 years ago), I had 4 late credit card payments but all of them were paid. Do I still need to disclose this fact??

Wondering if I should consult a C&F Attorney before I sumit my application. thanks

HP5450

New

Re: NY Admission Application

Post by HP5450 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:54 am

Hell no. It's asking about your current financial condition. Don't waste your money on an attorney to explain that your impulse is correct.

Nybar2015

New

Post by Nybar2015 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:33 pm

thank you so much. I feel a little relieved and hope it wont be an issue.

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:47 pm

Using this thread to ask my question also.

How are people listing their moving violations on the application? Are you listing them with dates? The DMV only goes back 5 years and they require a 10 year history for traffic violations :/

I know I have one that happened like 8 years ago, and then two recent ones. (I live in NYC, that's why I have so many :roll: )

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:35 pm

ndp1234 wrote:Using this thread to ask my question also.

How are people listing their moving violations on the application? Are you listing them with dates? The DMV only goes back 5 years and they require a 10 year history for traffic violations :/

I know I have one that happened like 8 years ago, and then two recent ones. (I live in NYC, that's why I have so many :roll: )
List them to the best of your ability, even if you have to guess. I put the following on my NY application and it went through without any questions:

"Around 2005, in [CITY], [STATE] I was given a “fix-it” ticket for not having a front license plate. I paid a fine.

Around 2006, in [CITY], [STATE] I was given a “fix-it” ticket for having tinted windows. I removed the tint and the ticket was dismissed.

Around 2006, in [CITY], [STATE] I was cited for expired vehicle registration. I paid the fine.

Around 7/2007, in [CITY], [STATE] I was cited for speeding, 85 miles per hour in a 65 zone, and for no proof of insurance. Both tickets were dismissed because I attended traffic school and provided proof of insurance.

I believe that I have accurately captured all traffic violations to the best of my ability based on the records available and my recollection of the matters."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Thanks!

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi guys,

Stupid question. Does Part III need to be filled out by employers where we had unpaid legal summer internships too? Just wanted to make sure before I contact any employers!

Thanks!

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:39 pm

Unfortunately yes, it says compensated or uncompensated employment including law school clinics and externships.

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:48 pm

ndp1234 wrote:Unfortunately yes, it says compensated or uncompensated employment including law school clinics and externships.
Oh, thank you! I couldn't find the answer on the application. :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawgirl111

New

Post by lawgirl111 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:04 pm

Did anyone have trouble getting legal affidavits from an employer? One of mine from 6 years ago has gone off the radar and I've emailed, called, can't go there in person because I'm in a different state now lol. I think I'm going to have to send the app in with one missing because it's looking like I won't get it in by the Oct 3rd deadline...so annoying that I might get delayed in getting in (if I passed knock on wood) because an employer won't get it back to me!!

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:33 pm

lawgirl111 wrote:Did anyone have trouble getting legal affidavits from an employer? One of mine from 6 years ago has gone off the radar and I've emailed, called, can't go there in person because I'm in a different state now lol. I think I'm going to have to send the app in with one missing because it's looking like I won't get it in by the Oct 3rd deadline...so annoying that I might get delayed in getting in (if I passed knock on wood) because an employer won't get it back to me!!
October 3 deadline? What?! We need our affidavits returned to us by October 3? But why?? The bar results won't even be out by then?

lawgirl111

New

Post by lawgirl111 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:05 pm

ChocolateTruffle wrote:
lawgirl111 wrote:Did anyone have trouble getting legal affidavits from an employer? One of mine from 6 years ago has gone off the radar and I've emailed, called, can't go there in person because I'm in a different state now lol. I think I'm going to have to send the app in with one missing because it's looking like I won't get it in by the Oct 3rd deadline...so annoying that I might get delayed in getting in (if I passed knock on wood) because an employer won't get it back to me!!
October 3 deadline? What?! We need our affidavits returned to us by October 3? But why?? The bar results won't even be out by then?
This doesn't apply to the first department sorry didn't mean to freak you out!! but yeah my department (3rd) said we can "supplement" our app with the bar results when they come in but to send other materials before if we want to be sworn in in Jan.. Annoying

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:06 pm

lawgirl111 wrote:
ChocolateTruffle wrote:
This doesn't apply to the first department sorry didn't mean to freak you out!! but yeah my department (3rd) said we can "supplement" our app with the bar results when they come in but to send other materials before if we want to be sworn in in Jan.. Annoying
Wait... Can you please provide the link to the Third Department requiring 10/3?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawgirl111

New

Post by lawgirl111 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:12 pm

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad4/cler ... admin.html

That's a link for the 4th Department I can't find a link to the 3rd but I got a letter in the mail saying this for 3rd dept. If I have the date wrong I would be ecstatic- I'm and work and don't have access to the letter RN- anyone know??

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:34 pm

My Third Department letter from August 18, 2016 says:
The next admissions ceremony in the Third Department has been scheduled for Thursday, January 19, 2017. In order for you to be considered for admission on this date, it will be necessary for the Attorney Admissions Office to have received your completed application papers no later than Friday, December 9, 2016.
(emphases in original). Moreover, it continues:
Since there is a limit on the number of applicants who can be admitted at the January 19, 2017 ceremony, and applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis, you are urged to complete and mail your application as soon as possible, and certainly well in advance of December 9 if you want to be considered for scheduling for admission at the January 19 ceremony
Find the full letter here.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:39 pm

Oct 3 deadline..... you almost gave me a heart attack!!!
Is the ceremony a formality thats not required to be admitted to practice? I've seen pictures of friends being sworn in individually by a judge

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:29 pm

mvp99 wrote:Oct 3 deadline..... you almost gave me a heart attack!!!
Is the ceremony a formality thats not required to be admitted to practice? I've seen pictures of friends being sworn in individually by a judge
Also curious how much work I'll have to miss. Is the Third Department's swearing-in something we actually have to attend or a mere formality?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:00 pm

Swearing in is mandatory AFAIK. The Third Dept. ceremony took a decent chunk out of my day since I was coming from Manhattan. I took the day off basically but still got some work done on the train ride there/back.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:09 pm

thegrayman wrote:Swearing in is mandatory AFAIK. The Third Dept. ceremony took a decent chunk out of my day since I was coming from Manhattan. I took the day off basically but still got some work done on the train ride there/back.
Thanks! (Seems TCR as I asked in another thread and got a definitive answer that it was mandatory in that the Third Department literally calls it a "mandatory swearing-in ceremony" and that there is a sign-in/signature sheet.)

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:59 pm

Who else is wondering if the UBE transfer score option will be available on a Saturday as promised? Was foolishly waiting to see if results for NY takers would come in this week :roll:

rkreymer

Bronze

Post by rkreymer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:36 pm

ndp1234 wrote:Who else is wondering if the UBE transfer score option will be available on a Saturday as promised? Was foolishly waiting to see if results for NY takers would come in this week :roll:
Highly doubt NY will presently surprise everyone :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:55 pm

On the financial judgment question: NY has a cutoff. I think it's gotta be a judgment for $300 or more so you likely don't need to disclose. My best guess is they aren't concerned about small debts that you reasonably forgot about, and were not reminded of. They're concerned about things indicating that you get yourself in financial jams. Most of the lawyers who get disbarred are disbarred for financial reasons, and most aren't necessarily dishonest but are of the "dip into client escrow to pay 1,000 here, put it back when this clears on xx date" variety. It surprises people but a legitimate inability to pay debts is probably a bigger red flag than something like shoplifting, because they're there to safeguard potential clients, not the battery aisle at Walmart.

o0o0o0o

New

Post by o0o0o0o » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:10 am

Does anyone know whether our law-related employer affidavits need to be completed within a certain amount of time before they are submitted? I heard someone thought it was 2 months and am trying to see if this is correct.

I am in the First Department.

Situation is that I got a couple of affidavits at the end of August. Earliest I could apply for admission would be around Nov 1 or whenever results are announced. Two months will have elapsed between the date the affidavits are signed and the date of submission. Any problem here? I didn't see anything in the instructions for admission that suggested there's any hard requirement for how long ago affidavits can have been completed but am just asking because I'd obviously prefer to only have to submit the C&F application once. Thanks.

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:52 pm

I believe I read in another TLS post from someone else that had gone through the 2d Department process that only the character affidavits have be within 60 days of submission. The employment affidavits have no particular date of staleness to my knowledge. But you can always call and ask because the First Department has such weird rules...

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:46 am

ndp1234 wrote:I believe I read in another TLS post from someone else that had gone through the 2d Department process that only the character affidavits have be within 60 days of submission. The employment affidavits have no particular date of staleness to my knowledge. But you can always call and ask because the First Department has such weird rules...
God, so many rules! Do you know what the 3rd department says? Why the hell would it have to be within 60 days of submission? Like someone's character would change so drastically in such a short period of time. :roll: Ugh.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”