NY Admission Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ndp1234

Bronze

Re: NY Admission Application

Post by ndp1234 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:37 am

raptors_delight wrote:Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the Second Department to confirm receipt after a complete application has been delivered? And what happens next?
I think this depends on when you send it in. If you send it in early, my guess is that it doesn't take too long. I sent my completed packet before the July results came out (about one week before) and I got a call on the Monday after results came out that they can't further process my app without the affidavit slip for the OCA fee and a copy of my certification letter, which I had to mail.

Not sure if that counts as "confirming" receipt but it was a pretty quick turnaround. Also not sure if they contact you right away unless there's something missing or there's an issue.

coconutroll

New

Post by coconutroll » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:38 am

HonestAdvice wrote:
coconutroll wrote:Can anyone kindly tell me when is the ceremony schedule for the First Department (and the deadline for 1st)? I couldn't find calendar from their web.

Now I'm in the Third, but I'm considering to transfer to First because of my situation.

It'll be really really helpful if someone tells me.
They don't pre-plan the dates. It seemed to be based on when they could get judge(s), and assemble a group for the Scared Straight lecture. They're going to slot you where they slot you, and then request add'l stuff with a deadline or give you an interview date. It's not an immediate process. Depending on the week, the interview and ceremony can be a week apart. They also give a presentation talking about ethics, and telling stories about lawyers who broke them. Most of the stories are ridiculously unethical and entertaining. A few are very sad, and provide insight into how generally good people get disbarred.

Thank you so much for your info. I appreciate it.

raptors_delight

New

Post by raptors_delight » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:09 pm

ndp1234 wrote:
raptors_delight wrote:Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the Second Department to confirm receipt after a complete application has been delivered? And what happens next?
I think this depends on when you send it in. If you send it in early, my guess is that it doesn't take too long. I sent my completed packet before the July results came out (about one week before) and I got a call on the Monday after results came out that they can't further process my app without the affidavit slip for the OCA fee and a copy of my certification letter, which I had to mail.

Not sure if that counts as "confirming" receipt but it was a pretty quick turnaround. Also not sure if they contact you right away unless there's something missing or there's an issue.
That's helpful. Thanks!

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Does the application have to be single sided, or is double sided ok?? Thanks!

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:43 pm

Ok, I don't see it written anywhere that it has to be single-sided, so I'm doing it double-sided!

I've finally finished my application, so I am going to print it and notarize it.

For the Third Department...

Is the Express Mail address only if I'm mailing it by express mail, or can I mail it by regular post but to the Express Mail address? I'm assuming they check that more often than the PO Box address? Stupid question, I know :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:56 pm

ChocolateTruffle wrote:Ok, I don't see it written anywhere that it has to be single-sided, so I'm doing it double-sided!

I've finally finished my application, so I am going to print it and notarize it.

Is the Express Mail address only if I'm mailing it by express mail, or can I mail it by regular post but to the Express Mail address? I'm assuming they check that more often than the PO Box address? Stupid question, I know :oops:
I'm a proponent of hand delivering important documents. I don't have proof this is true, but my feeling is putting a face and pleasant personality to the name gets you reviewed quicker than random mail.

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:35 am

I don't think I'll be driving a few hours just to hand deliver an application!

So I have extra pages of employment history. Do I put those with the rest of the employment history in the application, or do I put them at the end of the application? I basically printed pages 4-6 again, so there is a bit at the top that I crossed out and a bit at the end I crossed out that is not part of the employment history on the repeat pages. But if I put them right after the employment history section in my application, then the first part of question 16 will be separated from the second part of it which appears on page 7... Opinions?! Thanks!

QuasiINrem

New

Post by QuasiINrem » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:57 pm

ChocolateTruffle wrote:I don't think I'll be driving a few hours just to hand deliver an application!

So I have extra pages of employment history. Do I put those with the rest of the employment history in the application, or do I put them at the end of the application? I basically printed pages 4-6 again, so there is a bit at the top that I crossed out and a bit at the end I crossed out that is not part of the employment history on the repeat pages. But if I put them right after the employment history section in my application, then the first part of question 16 will be separated from the second part of it which appears on page 7... Opinions?! Thanks!
I put my extra employment pages with the employment history not at the back. I needed 3 extra pages. I'm figured they can just always go back to my answers onquestion 16 after checking my employment history

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:52 am

HonestAdvice wrote:
ChocolateTruffle wrote:Ok, I don't see it written anywhere that it has to be single-sided, so I'm doing it double-sided!

I'm a proponent of hand delivering important documents. I don't have proof this is true, but my feeling is putting a face and pleasant personality to the name gets you reviewed quicker than random mail.
lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:45 am

Oh crap, I mailed my application but forgot to sign the addendum to my application!! I signed the extra pages of employment history, but I had an addendum for speeding tickets which I forgot to sign!!!! Will that be a huge problem? :oops:

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:07 pm

hmm... didn't know we were supposed to sign addenda #oops

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:58 pm

Does anyone in the 1st department remember when the certification email was sent out? I can't seem to find it in my inbox.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:29 pm

MCFC wrote:Does anyone in the 1st department remember when the certification email was sent out? I can't seem to find it in my inbox.
August 17th

eta oh wait do you mean the cert you have to include with your app? That's the attachment that told you you passed the bar. You should remember when that was

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:35 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:
MCFC wrote:Does anyone in the 1st department remember when the certification email was sent out? I can't seem to find it in my inbox.
August 17th

eta oh wait do you mean the cert you have to include with your app? That's the attachment that told you you passed the bar. You should remember when that was
Yeah, I meant the latter.

Thanks, for some reason I was under the impression it was a separate document.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:38 pm

MCFC wrote:
Mlk&Ckies wrote:
August 17th

Mine says "the bar hereby certifies you to the following department" in the first paragraph, so I'm assuming this is the right document. If yours doesn't say that, it's because you're missing the MPRE, the NYLE or the law school form.

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:45 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:
MCFC wrote:
Mlk&Ckies wrote:
August 17th

Mine says "the bar hereby certifies you to the following department" in the first paragraph, so I'm assuming this is the right document. If yours doesn't say that, it's because you're missing the MPRE, the NYLE or the law school form.
Yeah mine says all those things. I'm just dumb and thought they were sending a separate email.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:09 pm

MCFC wrote:
Mlk&Ckies wrote:
MCFC wrote:
Mlk&Ckies wrote:
August 17th

Yeah mine says all those things. I'm just dumb and thought they were sending a separate email.
Don't be so self deprecating. You're almost a lawyer!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

raptors_delight

New

Post by raptors_delight » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:31 pm

Crap. Didn't sign any of my riders. What are the odds I'm going to be asked to send in signed copies?

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:58 am

Think this is probably common. I didn't sign either but my attachments are records and not necessarily any statements I've made outside of my application. I think it's pretty clear which questions they pertain to.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:15 am

P sure the instructions explicitly say riders have to be signed and have to say which question they are responding to. This is a weird thing to be blasé about.

ellewoods123

Bronze

Post by ellewoods123 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:20 am

So far behind in this game - confirming that if I received my pass notice from the third dept, then that's my dept right? I am slightly confused only because when I registered for the bar exam I was living in NYC and used that address..never filed a change of address, but my pass notice has my nj address. So, third dept, right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:23 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:P sure the instructions explicitly say riders have to be signed and have to say which question they are responding to. This is a weird thing to be blasé about.
In my application for the question about speeding tickets I wrote "Refer to addendum for additional speeding tickets." Then on the addendum I wrote my name, Bole ID #, and which question the addendum relates to. Then I just listed the information about my additional speeding tickets. I can't believe I forgot to sign it, because I signed the additional pages of employment history! Hope it's not a huge problem :oops:

Zongo

New

Post by Zongo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:52 pm

Anyone else get interview/swearing in dates for 1st dept. My co-worker got his (we sent them in together), but I didn't receive anything. Is he the only one?

o0o0o0o

New

Post by o0o0o0o » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:28 pm

Zongo wrote:Anyone else get interview/swearing in dates for 1st dept. My co-worker got his (we sent them in together), but I didn't receive anything. Is he the only one?
Yes, coworker and I both got this letter from the First Dept, but it's a bit confusing. It says interview 1/17, orientation program 1/18, admission ceremony on 1/23, and that we'll also receive a notice re: scheduling the "oath ceremony," which I didn't realize would be different than the "admission ceremony."

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:41 am

FYI - Just got an email from "AD2CCF" and thought it was spam. It was notifying me of a two day program at the beginning of December for the interview and the ceremony the day after (12/6 and 12/7) for people currently out of town (I'm in Albany at the moment - application to 2d Dept.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”