NY Admission Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ndp1234

Bronze

Re: NY Admission Application

Post by ndp1234 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:19 pm

I don't think so. You will definitely need to order from multiple states, but not sure if it goes by driver's license state or state where you got the tickets.

You can get more info here, in case it helps: https://dmv.ny.gov/lifetime-driving-records

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:19 pm

ndp1234 wrote:I don't think so. You will definitely need to order from multiple states, but not sure if it goes by driver's license state or state where you got the tickets.

You can get more info here, in case it helps: https://dmv.ny.gov/lifetime-driving-records
Thanks!

On the application, what do you write for a speeding ticket under "Charge or Charges" ?

I remember the dates of my four speeding tickets and where I got them, so I'm wondering if I can just put those down from memory instead of requesting reports from two or three different DMVs as I am currently unemployed and don't want to spend more money than I have to!

So do you think I could put down Speeding ticket, and then under "Disposition thereof and underlying facts" give the dates and locations of my speeding tickets?

The instructions are not very good for this part of the application!

CicerBRo

Bronze

Post by CicerBRo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Dumb question but here it is: Can we hand-write the NY Admission applications? For whatever idosyncratic reason, I prefer to handwrite.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:50 pm

CicerBRo wrote:Dumb question but here it is: Can we hand-write the NY Admission applications? For whatever idosyncratic reason, I prefer to handwrite.
The general rule is that handwriting is acceptable, but there's a more elaborate signature process. You need to not only sign but also have to include and date a kiss on each page. The lipstick requirements vary by department. The first requires Rose Red. The second department requires strawberry, a slighter bright shade. As you probably already know, third department, of course, requires burgundy. And the fourth department makes you cry wee wee wee all the way home. The notary has to witness your kiss or from the bar's point of view, it never happened.

JoeySkoko

New

Post by JoeySkoko » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:17 pm

I'm in First Department where we aren't meant to submit until AFTER results (and touch wood, passing).

A lot of my materials are coming from overseas, so I'm trying to get a head start.

Is there any issues with my law school forms (getting sent direct from the law school) arriving at the Bar association BEFORE the release of my results (as in, if I mail them now for them to complete them)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:19 am

Does anyone know if the second department takes the materials before the results of the exam come out?

raptors_delight

New

Post by raptors_delight » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:31 am

pvnyc wrote:Does anyone know if the second department takes the materials before the results of the exam come out?
They do. It's mentioned somewhere in the instructions specific to the Second Department.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:47 pm

JoeySkoko wrote:I'm in First Department where we aren't meant to submit until AFTER results (and touch wood, passing).

A lot of my materials are coming from overseas, so I'm trying to get a head start.

Is there any issues with my law school forms (getting sent direct from the law school) arriving at the Bar association BEFORE the release of my results (as in, if I mail them now for them to complete them)?
No, but you won't be complete until you pass and have everything in.

CicerBRo

Bronze

Post by CicerBRo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:23 pm

I submitted a change of address form after moving to Manhattan (so that I could transfer from the 3rd to the 1st Department and hopefully get sworn in here in NYC instead of traveling up to Albany) and got an email last week telling me that in order for it to go through I would have to mail them proof (like a lease or something). Today I was getting ready to mail them said proof when I got an email saying that my change of address had been successfully processed and my department changed to the first.

Does that mean I'm good or should I still mail them something?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anshulkalra

New

Post by anshulkalra » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:58 am

Hello Guys,

I need your advice regarding employment affidavits.

Foreign student here. Currently based in the UAE. Passed the NY Bar in feb, 2016. While I was studying for the Bar, I was employed at a law firm as paralegal for almost 4 years. After the exam, changed jobs and worked as a paralegal in corporate dept. This month I resigned from my current job and going back to previous job to work as a paralegal in their dispute resolution dept. Since I am under one month notice period now with my current job and also expect to send my applications by next week, do you think I should add my re-joining of previous law firm in additional legal employment affidavit.

Regarding traffic fines, even though I do not have any existing tickets, am I required to disclose the previous tickets I paid off?

Lastly, I have had one to two reminder letters from bank to pay my student loan instalment back in 2014. I have been in top of my loan payments since then and never had any issues with the bank. In fact my loan would be fully paid off within the next couple of months. Do I need to disclose the fact that I received reminder letters from Bank back in 2014?

Would highly appreciate guidance.

Thanks

ejiang

New

Post by ejiang » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:05 pm

Passed NY July Exam. I am currently compiling the package for admission. I am registered to take the Dec. 15 NY Online Exam. Does any one know that may I submit the admission package before I take the online exam if i have everything else ready? THanks!

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:12 pm

ejiang wrote:Passed NY July Exam. I am currently compiling the package for admission. I am registered to take the Dec. 15 NY Online Exam. Does any one know that may I submit the admission package before I take the online exam if i have everything else ready? THanks!
What department are you? Most (I think actually all except maybe First Department because they have special rules) let you submit without being certified for admission (i.e. having completed all the exams with passing scores). I submitted my Second Department packet the week before we got results and I got a call yesterday that I need to submit my certification letter and the affidavit slip that I paid the OCA registration fee. The lady had a thick accent, but I think she prefaced it with something along the lines of "now that you are certified..." so she probably only called me because she knew I was now certified.

You could call the C&F for your department to make sure though. They're not awful to talk to (at least in the 2d Dept).

coconutroll

New

Post by coconutroll » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:46 am

Can anyone kindly tell me when is the ceremony schedule for the First Department (and the deadline for 1st)? I couldn't find calendar from their web.

Now I'm in the Third, but I'm considering to transfer to First because of my situation.

It'll be really really helpful if someone tells me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nyc0522

New

Post by nyc0522 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:44 pm

Is anyone else having massive formatting issues with the affidavits? Whenever I download, fill it out, save it, then e-mail it to an old employer, the formatting is getting corrupted in the process. I'm on a mac if that makes any difference.

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:54 pm

nyc0522 wrote:Is anyone else having massive formatting issues with the affidavits? Whenever I download, fill it out, save it, then e-mail it to an old employer, the formatting is getting corrupted in the process. I'm on a mac if that makes any difference.

Are you downloading the document, or filling it out in your browser? I had to download it, open it using the "System Viewer" or through Adobe Reader. Then you should be able to edit, save and email it normally.

just_me

New

Post by just_me » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:16 pm

Is anyone aware of whether affidavits have to be hand signed? Or is an electronic signature acceptable (by which I guess I effectively just mean people type their name in the signature area)?

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:44 pm

just_me wrote:Is anyone aware of whether affidavits have to be hand signed? Or is an electronic signature acceptable (by which I guess I effectively just mean people type their name in the signature area)?

Seeing as the signature has to be notarized (i.e. signed in front of a notary and witnessed by a notary) I don't think electronic signatures are acceptable. Also, they require the original signatures, that's why they ask for the originals.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

just_me

New

Post by just_me » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:01 pm

ndp1234 wrote:
just_me wrote:Is anyone aware of whether affidavits have to be hand signed? Or is an electronic signature acceptable (by which I guess I effectively just mean people type their name in the signature area)?

Seeing as the signature has to be notarized (i.e. signed in front of a notary and witnessed by a notary) I don't think electronic signatures are acceptable. Also, they require the original signatures, that's why they ask for the originals.
That makes sense, thank you!

I feel really bad about asking each person who's doing an affidavit for me to also take time out, go find a notary, and arrange an appointment to have them witness the signature. Had originally thought I could potentially just take all the completed documents requiring a notary stamp to a notary myself, but it seems not :(

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:31 am

Only your former legal employers need notarized signatures, and tons of attorneys are notaries or at least employ one. It shouldn't be much harder than asking someone to mail a document, don't fret.

QuasiINrem

New

Post by QuasiINrem » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:12 pm

Does anyone have the swearing in dates for 2nd department? Took July 2016 bar

raptors_delight

New

Post by raptors_delight » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:10 pm

How quickly does the Second Department usually take to confirm receipt after they receive a complete application? And what happens next?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

raptors_delight

New

Post by raptors_delight » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:14 pm

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the Second Department to confirm receipt after a complete application has been delivered? And what happens next?

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:40 pm

coconutroll wrote:Can anyone kindly tell me when is the ceremony schedule for the First Department (and the deadline for 1st)? I couldn't find calendar from their web.

Now I'm in the Third, but I'm considering to transfer to First because of my situation.

It'll be really really helpful if someone tells me.
They don't pre-plan the dates. It seemed to be based on when they could get judge(s), and assemble a group for the Scared Straight lecture. They're going to slot you where they slot you, and then request add'l stuff with a deadline or give you an interview date. It's not an immediate process. Depending on the week, the interview and ceremony can be a week apart. They also give a presentation talking about ethics, and telling stories about lawyers who broke them. Most of the stories are ridiculously unethical and entertaining. A few are very sad, and provide insight into how generally good people get disbarred.

didntretake

New

Post by didntretake » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:44 pm

I called the First Department today and found out that you need an law related employment affidavit for working as a TA in law school where all you did was help 1Ls with class. So that's annoying.

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:55 am

The IRS Wage and Income Transcripts (which are free, I cannot afford to pay $50 a pop for tax return copies) do not list the dates of employment. Can I just guesstimate on dates, because I cannot remember?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”