NY Admission Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Re: NY Admission Application

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:13 am

ChocolateTruffle wrote:
ndp1234 wrote:I believe I read in another TLS post from someone else that had gone through the 2d Department process that only the character affidavits have be within 60 days of submission. The employment affidavits have no particular date of staleness to my knowledge. But you can always call and ask because the First Department has such weird rules...
God, so many rules! Do you know what the 3rd department says? Why the hell would it have to be within 60 days of submission? Like someone's character would change so drastically in such a short period of time. :roll: Ugh.
For the Third Department, I sent in my application right when it sent out that letter in late August. I got an e-mail saying my application was complete. My moral character letters were from the end of May.

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:29 am

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
ChocolateTruffle wrote:
ndp1234 wrote:I believe I read in another TLS post from someone else that had gone through the 2d Department process that only the character affidavits have be within 60 days of submission. The employment affidavits have no particular date of staleness to my knowledge. But you can always call and ask because the First Department has such weird rules...
God, so many rules! Do you know what the 3rd department says? Why the hell would it have to be within 60 days of submission? Like someone's character would change so drastically in such a short period of time. :roll: Ugh.
For the Third Department, I sent in my application right when it sent out that letter in late August. I got an e-mail saying my application was complete. My moral character letters were from the end of May.
Awesome, thank you!

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:40 am

Who are we supposed to use for character affidavits? I don't know any lawyers in New York for more than a year who aren't affiliated with my school or employer.

o0o0o0o

New

Post by o0o0o0o » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:44 am

Mlk&Ckies wrote:Who are we supposed to use for character affidavits? I don't know any lawyers in New York for more than a year who aren't affiliated with my school or employer.
Doesn't need to be a New York lawyer. Also probably doesn't need to be a lawyer at all--seems like they just prefer that one come from a lawyer.

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:58 am

None of the character affidavits have to be attorneys. From what I've read people have used childhood friends in non-attorney positions. I think they value the longer relationships rather than some random attorney you happened to meet. IMO That's why they have the law related employment affidavits.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:10 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:Who are we supposed to use for character affidavits? I don't know any lawyers in New York for more than a year who aren't affiliated with my school or employer.
Because you seem unable to find the instructions, I have quoted the text from the affidavit (with emphasis in the relevant parts). Note that even when it refers to attorneys in good standing, those attorneys need not be both barred in New York and in good standing.
Applicant must submit two (2) original good moral character affidavits as part of an application for admission (see 22 NYCRR 520.12). The affidavits should be completed by reputable persons who have known applicant for not less than two years. The affidavits should not be completed by persons who also complete employment affidavits on applicant’s behalf. The affidavits should not be completed by persons associated with applicant’s present employer or persons related to applicant by blood or marriage or by other applicants or by members of the faculty or administrative staff of any law school attended by applicant. Preferably, one affidavit should be completed by an attorney in good standing. The person completing the affidavit should return it to the applicant, who should file it with and at the same time as his or her application for admission questionnaire.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:17 pm

ndp1234 wrote:None of the character affidavits have to be attorneys. From what I've read people have used childhood friends in non-attorney positions. I think they value the longer relationships rather than some random attorney you happened to meet. IMO That's why they have the law related employment affidavits.
I recommend using your pediatrician. It is a great way of showing your growth through the years.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:43 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Because you seem unable to find the instructions, I have quoted the text from the affidavit (with emphasis in the relevant parts). Note that even when it refers to attorneys in good standing, those attorneys need not be both barred in New York and in good standing.
Applicant must submit two (2) original good moral character affidavits as part of an application for admission (see 22 NYCRR 520.12). The affidavits should be completed by reputable persons who have known applicant for not less than two years. The affidavits should not be completed by persons who also complete employment affidavits on applicant’s behalf. The affidavits should not be completed by persons associated with applicant’s present employer or persons related to applicant by blood or marriage or by other applicants or by members of the faculty or administrative staff of any law school attended by applicant. Preferably, one affidavit should be completed by an attorney in good standing. The person completing the affidavit should return it to the applicant, who should file it with and at the same time as his or her application for admission questionnaire.
Wow youre so smart definitely lucky to share a profession with you

e: I don't know any lawyers outside New York who fit the bill anyway, so so sorry if my sloppy drafting caused you agita. Also, please excuse me for thinking that an explicit, stated preference by the Board of Law Examiners should perhaps be taken more seriously than a flip suggestion. Thank you for preventing my obviously ill-informed question from derailing this very important thread.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:43 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Wow youre so smart definitely lucky to share a profession with you

e: I don't know any lawyers outside New York who fit the bill anyway, so so sorry if my sloppy drafting caused you agita. Also, please excuse me for thinking that an explicit, stated preference by the Board of Law Examiners should perhaps be taken more seriously than a flip suggestion. Thank you for preventing my obviously ill-informed question from derailing this very important thread.
You're both excused and welcome.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:46 pm

Well I guess preferably means mandatory. Of course when I read the instructions I didn't know I was expected to substitute an incorrect meaning for a word.

I guess next time I'll know better.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:52 pm

ndp1234 wrote:Well I guess preferably means mandatory. Of course when I read the instructions I didn't know I was expected to substitute an incorrect meaning for a word.

I guess next time I'll know better.
See also Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 143 U.S. 457 (1892).

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:33 pm

Am I the only one who hasn't submitted any paperwork yet? Second Department.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:53 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:Am I the only one who hasn't submitted any paperwork yet? Second Department.
sent in the certificate form thingy and thats about it

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:19 am

LionelHutzJD wrote:Am I the only one who hasn't submitted any paperwork yet? Second Department.
I haven't. Third Department. I am just in the process of getting my employment affidavits and such. Still need to get my law school certification.

Hakki

New

Post by Hakki » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:15 pm

If I filed a change of address to a Manhattan address, am I now in the First Department?

I was initially assigned to the Second Department, then moved to Manhattan and just started work as a lawyer in Manhattan. I submitted a change of address request that was received. When I fill out my NY Bar admission application and the law-related employment affidavits, do I now check off the box for 1st Department?

Thanks!

Zongo

New

Post by Zongo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:21 am

What is the difference between 27 and 36 (other than the 5 year limitation)? I had a minor incident roughly 4 years ago that I disclosed in the criminal record portion of question 27. I just don't understand why it needs to be repeated again in 36. Obviously to be safe I will disclose again in 36, but am I missing something here?

Also, for 27 I do not have enough space to fully write about details and explanations for a few juvenile citations I received. Should I just attach an additional document and reference it in the space provided? Does anyone have any experience with this?

JoeySkoko

New

Post by JoeySkoko » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:43 pm

speeding tickets.. Do we have to get any sort of transport history from the relevant jurisdiction/s?

I only have one or two - is it enough to say:

2011 - Speeding fine - $110 - Paid

? Will they follow up and ask for more info?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:46 pm

JoeySkoko wrote:speeding tickets.. Do we have to get any sort of transport history from the relevant jurisdiction/s?

I only have one or two - is it enough to say:

2011 - Speeding fine - $110 - Paid

? Will they follow up and ask for more info?
I also included the location. Mine wasn't for speeding, but if it were I would also include your ticketed speed and the speed limit in the area... seem like relevant details?

JoeySkoko

New

Post by JoeySkoko » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:09 pm

yes I have found out the limit and my speed from an old email but don't have a copy of the ticket.

i just wondered if they will ask for an official record statement as if they will I should get it in advance as I'm from an overseas country and may take a while.

rkreymer

Bronze

Post by rkreymer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:42 pm

How do you guys remember what citations, for what, and when you received? I pulled a copy of my certified driver's record and it's blank even though I did have a ticket or two just have no clue as to the details.

Zongo

New

Post by Zongo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:00 pm

This is nutty, but do the forms (pro bono and character) have to be mailed to and back. I sent my pro bono affidavit to the office upstate where I completed the pro bono by email. I got it notrarized, scanned it and sent it to them. The office sent it back to me by mail, but the notarized portion was from when i scanned it. I see on the instructions that they need to be original, but not sure if that means that they can't be sent electronically to the ones filling them out. Any insight?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:06 pm

rkreymer wrote:How do you guys remember what citations, for what, and when you received? I pulled a copy of my certified driver's record and it's blank even though I did have a ticket or two just have no clue as to the details.
You have to request what's called a lifetime abstract or driving record history. You probably pulled the plain abstract that only goes back 4 years (this is the one that can easily be done online).

And you have to physically mail the request and can't get it online or at a local DMV office. Believe me I ended up with arguments with DMV "officials" over how stupid this was and of course no one knew how to do their job right. Long story short my local DMV cashed my money order and gave me the plain abstract I didn't ask for according to the form they require me to fill out.

Here's a link to the form and instructions for NY: https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv15.pdf

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:15 pm

Zongo wrote:This is nutty, but do the forms (pro bono and character) have to be mailed to and back. I sent my pro bono affidavit to the office upstate where I completed the pro bono by email. I got it notrarized, scanned it and sent it to them. The office sent it back to me by mail, but the notarized portion was from when i scanned it. I see on the instructions that they need to be original, but not sure if that means that they can't be sent electronically to the ones filling them out. Any insight?
I think that answers the question. Doubtful they'd say that and allow scanned copies of a notary's stamp. If you're lucky, they won't notice if its just that one page.

rkreymer

Bronze

Post by rkreymer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:13 pm

ndp1234 wrote:
rkreymer wrote:How do you guys remember what citations, for what, and when you received? I pulled a copy of my certified driver's record and it's blank even though I did have a ticket or two just have no clue as to the details.
You have to request what's called a lifetime abstract or driving record history. You probably pulled the plain abstract that only goes back 4 years (this is the one that can easily be done online).

And you have to physically mail the request and can't get it online or at a local DMV office. Believe me I ended up with arguments with DMV "officials" over how stupid this was and of course no one knew how to do their job right. Long story short my local DMV cashed my money order and gave me the plain abstract I didn't ask for according to the form they require me to fill out.

Here's a link to the form and instructions for NY: https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv15.pdf

Thank you!

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:55 pm

ndp1234 wrote:

Do you know if this will turn up records from other states? Because I received two speeding tickets in Indiana, both with an Indiana license; one ticket in NY with an Indiana license; and one ticket in NY with a Connecticut license. Will this request turn up all those tickets? Because I cannot remember the dates for any of them, so can't fill out the bar application form appropriately.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”