Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

KeepingItLegal
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby KeepingItLegal » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:52 pm

There's very little "celebration" resulting from this bar prep course. Nightmare, misrepresentation, and fraud would be more appropriate descriptive words.

Here's the bottom line. CBR sucks students in through the use of motivational and free podcasts. Jackson Mumey, the proprietor, narrates all aforementioned podcasts. He sounds genuine, likable, and passionate about ensuring that all bar candidates approach the study process with fearlessness and a positive mental attitude. In fact, it was this unique positive mental attitude approach that got me hooked.

I was a repeater, attorney candidate. And let's be honest, y'all, the CA bar exam is no joke. So I was looking for an edge (having previously slugged my way through BarBri simply to feel overwhelmed and disillusioned). CBR sounded too good to be true. Well, if something sounds too good to be true, it is.

Though marketed otherwise, the CBR courses are expensive. As an attorney candidate, my course was a bit less than the full course for those taking the MBE. However, it was still A LOT.

I was broke. Purchasing any course was a big sacrifice. I bought the cheapest CA course available (which included substantive lectures, some positive motivational videos, and electronic access ONLY to the substantive materials). Red flag number one. No printed materials unless you wanted to pay another $250. I also purchased three Skype tutoring sessions with Jackson himself (at the ripe cost of $250 per hour).

Jackson prides himself on being highly accessible to his students, and offers 15-minute scheduling/studying sessions free of charge (such a deal). Well, it was nearing bar exam time, and I had not used the three pre-paid sessions yet (think total initial investment cost of $750). During a 15-minute free Skype study session, I saw an entirely different side of Jackson. He became the egomaniacal, self-righteous tyrant that I previously read about in a few other student reviews (but naturally disregarded thinking those situations were anomalies). False. He started to yell (yes yell) and swear at me. And get this --- refused to use any of the pre-paid sessions to critique my written work unless it was drafted using his "proprietary" method. His "proprietary" method BLOWS. I practiced law for 7 years already. I think I know how to write. And I passed 2 other bar exams.

Jackson's vehement hatred of IRAC is almost bizarre. He kept yelling during this last Skype session "I'm the expert, I'm the expert." Ok, Jackson, you are the expert. And the liar. And the fraud.

Suffice it to say after that highly offensive Skype encounter, I had no intention of scheduling any future sessions with him.

I took the CA bar. I think I likely passed. Regardless, it was not because of CBR or Jackson Mumey (who has proven to be caustic and generally emotionally imbalanced jerk).

I very professionally sent an email (and followed up with a similar phone call) respectfully requesting a refund for the $750 paid for the three tutoring that I never received. Here's the kicker ... My request was denied. Apparently this situation was all my fault. My only options were to "gift" the sessions to another future CBR student (ummmm, what?!?!) or (this is the good part) to save the credit for when I retake the bar (implying that I would not pass).

I will not reduce myself to Jackson's level of profanity, but ... Come now.

The bottom line is that without further legal action on my part (I'm in CA and CBR is in FL), I'm screwed. They are keeping $750 for services that were NOT RENDERED.

Do not do not do not give a penny to these frauds. They are not only unethical but espouse lousy "proprietary" methodology. Aside from some creative videos designed to alleviate testing anxiety, they have nothing substantive of merit to offer. Their written materials are laughable as is this "proprietary" writing style that Jackson has convinced himself is the only way to pass. News flash: I passed the bar already in two other jurisdictions using IRAC. Not his BS "proprietary" method.

Save your money. This outfit is a fraud. And I am out of $750.

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 29548
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby Nebby » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:32 am

You should meet an attorney and see what you can do about getting your money back.

not guilty
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby not guilty » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:53 am

The Scientology of Bar Prep it was once stated.

User avatar
rcharter1978
Posts: 4308
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby rcharter1978 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:27 am

Its great that you're here to warn others -- it stinks that there would be such vultures willing to feed off of the desperation of others.

I'm not sure if you signed anything, but I doubt you'll get your money back. He may have been a shitty person and tutor, but unfortunately he is who you signed up for. I've never ever heard of this company and now I'm glad I didn't. The name alone would make me think twice.

In the unlikely event you have to do it again, I would say just buy used CA Barbri materials right after results are released (its easier to get them cheaper this way) and maybe subscribe to BarEssays ($250). BarEssays will give you templates/outlines/past failing essays (55 and below), past barely passing essays(62.5-65)/past really good passing essays (65+) and model answers.

BarEssays will also allow you to search by subject. Its pretty useful.

You're already an attorney so you're likely a good writer. I needed a tutor because, for me, writing for the bar was different than writing for law school. The analysis section was so much shorter on the bar, in law school you could get points for a really creative argument, but its not really that way on the bar exam. Its short, sweet, and keep it moving. But because you already know how to write you'll see the differences between a 55 vs. 65 right off the bat.

But -- you probably passed, you already passed other bar exams and you know how to write.

So sorry you had to go through such a stressful experience.

User avatar
Yvonnella
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 am

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby Yvonnella » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:04 pm

You still felt the need to pay for another bar review course after passing two other bar exams?

fearless16
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:47 am

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby fearless16 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:23 pm

I've used him before for a previous administration. It was awful. The materials was barely passable and his little motivational "prayer" emails were beyond offensive.

txbartaker
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby txbartaker » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:49 pm

Hello. I was seriously thinking to sign-up for Celebration, but I will not, after reading on your bad experience. Thanks a lot.

spud3000
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby spud3000 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:36 am

So no clue what terms/conditions you signed into, but sounds like a breach of contract. Why not draft a quickie pro se complaint for CA small claims court (if there is such a thing) and send it to him. If he doesn't pay the money back, file that bad boy and serve him. You will be out filing and service costs, but might get your $$ back.

LockBox
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby LockBox » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:31 pm

I don't know anything about CBR - but I will say, bar takers (and especially retakers) are in a vulnerable position vis-a-vis bar prep providers. While i'm sure many (perhaps the majority) of bar prep providers both corporate and individual are decent and capable, there are others out there who basically prey on individuals in the vulnerable position of needing to pass this exam in order to work.

My advice regardless of which provider you go with is do your due diligence and even then understand that paying for a service will never guarantee results.

InterAlia1961
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby InterAlia1961 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:54 pm

I posted here before about Celebration Bar Review and the post was removed. If you used them, you got ripped off, period. I used them for the CBX. Their material was full of errors about the law. The last straw was this little gem,"A statement made in a settlement offer can be excised as an admission." Holy balls!!!!! The material didn't make sense, had a plethora of grammatical errors, and wasn't organized worth a crap either. The guy kept trying to up-sell me on everything. He even claims if you listen to some high-dollar guru crapola it will help you pass. He once said that you didn't need to know any law to pass the bar exam, and recommended reading the book Blink as proof.

If you're considering this guy, RUN. I'm considering writing both the Florida and California Attorneys General. The owner of this halfwit bar review course doesn't even practice law. He runs a coffee shop in Celebration, FL.

InterAlia1961
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby InterAlia1961 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:54 pm

fearless16 wrote:I've used him before for a previous administration. It was awful. The materials was barely passable and his little motivational "prayer" emails were beyond offensive.


Yep.

Usa0523
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby Usa0523 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:21 pm

I definitely understand where you're coming from with a lot of it, but for the sake of balance, there are ppl who use their course and pass. It's not as if everyone fails who takes that course. There is a whole list of videos of people who had failed 2-15 times and use CBR and pass. That's not to say it's the best program out there, but it's not as if you're guaranteed to fail if you take them. I know one of the editors of the material is a UVA law grad. I will say they definitely aren't your typical course and they are proud of that fact. It's not for everyone though.
Just wanted to throw this in here. Good luck to everyone!

InterAlia1961
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby InterAlia1961 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:42 pm

Usa0523 wrote:I definitely understand where you're coming from with a lot of it, but for the sake of balance, there are ppl who use their course and pass. It's not as if everyone fails who takes that course. There is a whole list of videos of people who had failed 2-15 times and use CBR and pass. That's not to say it's the best program out there, but it's not as if you're guaranteed to fail if you take them. I know one of the editors of the material is a UVA law grad. I will say they definitely aren't your typical course and they are proud of that fact. It's not for everyone though.
Just wanted to throw this in here. Good luck to everyone!


No one who uses his course has ever passed the CBX. Go ahead, ask him, I did. He told me that he wasn't obligated to release that information. I asked him what his pass rate was, and he wouldn't tell me that either.

Again, no one has EVER passed the CBX using Celebration Bar Review. If someone has, prove up. Not just an anonymous post, Pm me with a name.

Usa0523
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby Usa0523 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:07 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YmM69CH0r1Q

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NfWDQDpbHZc

Here are some public examples. Could be the only two haha I don't know.

InterAlia1961
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby InterAlia1961 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:54 pm

Usa0523 wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YmM69CH0r1Q

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NfWDQDpbHZc

Here are some public examples. Could be the only two haha I don't know.


Okay, so the first one was someone who sat for the attorney's exam, meaning she didn't take the MBE. There's another one of some woman who claims to have passed on the first try using Celebration. Chances are she was just bright enough and just lucky enough to pull it off. It had nothing to do with CBR. It's a complete rip off. Just avoid this review course. If you're on a budget, buy a solid review course from Amazon or Ebay, or pay Adapti-bar for their questions. And I noticed the date on these testimonials. It was after I challenged Mumey on his pass rate. I'll bet those are the only two he could find. He's a hack.

Usa0523
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby Usa0523 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:46 pm

The MBE is the MBE. Review courses are gonna have the same stuff for that preparation for the most part. Sure there may be some slight differences here and there but when it comes down to it you just have to do prac questions.

Just bright enough? I mean come on. You say no one has used CBR and passed CA Bar and ask for names. I give you some and your response is well she's just smarter than the average bear. You didn't ask for names of people who aren't too bright and passed.

Look I agree with you for the most part haha so I don't wanna argue about it. CBR is prob not the best bar prep company out there. Granted. But your bias against them is palpable.

Mikeandcris
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:34 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby Mikeandcris » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:45 pm

I'm a CA attorney who graduated from law school in 1985. After practicing in CA all that time, I decided to take the Colorado Bar. After searching online I found Celebration Bar Review. For me, it was perfect because I worked full time and only missed a week of work to travel to CO and take the test. I started with Celebration around March 1 and followed it's syllabus to a "T". I took the "non mentored option" (@$975.00) but took advantage of the online group meetings and weeking online web sessions with Jackson Mumey. I give the course an A+. The folks who work there are genuine and caring and the support from fellow students is tremendous. I passed my July bar with room to spare and owe all of it to the folks at Celebration. Mike in CA.

ConfusedL1
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby ConfusedL1 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:25 am

Mikeandcris wrote:I'm a CA attorney who graduated from law school in 1985. After practicing in CA all that time, I decided to take the Colorado Bar. After searching online I found Celebration Bar Review. For me, it was perfect because I worked full time and only missed a week of work to travel to CO and take the test. I started with Celebration around March 1 and followed it's syllabus to a "T". I took the "non mentored option" (@$975.00) but took advantage of the online group meetings and weeking online web sessions with Jackson Mumey. I give the course an A+. The folks who work there are genuine and caring and the support from fellow students is tremendous. I passed my July bar with room to spare and owe all of it to the folks at Celebration. Mike in CA.



Lol. Yeah OK sure Mr. "Mike in CA" who is totally not "Mike at Celebration"

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3454
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:10 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:Lol. Yeah OK sure Mr. "Mike in CA" who is totally not "Mike at Celebration"

The prep must have been really good for that lurker to finally make an account and make his first post.

gaddockteeg
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby gaddockteeg » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:07 pm

Out of curiousity, what's his "method" for writing? If he advocates against IRAC, what does he want he want you to use?

Babum
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby Babum » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:43 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:Out of curiousity, what's his "method" for writing? If he advocates against IRAC, what does he want he want you to use?


I mean, I don't know what he advocates for, but I'm personally a fan of CRAC rather than IRAC (really just CRA, but that's another story). Just to say that IRAC is not the only option.

ur_hero
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:52 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby ur_hero » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Mikeandcris wrote:I'm a CA attorney who graduated from law school in 1985. After practicing in CA all that time, I decided to take the Colorado Bar. After searching online I found Celebration Bar Review. For me, it was perfect because I worked full time and only missed a week of work to travel to CO and take the test. I started with Celebration around March 1 and followed it's syllabus to a "T". I took the "non mentored option" (@$975.00) but took advantage of the online group meetings and weeking online web sessions with Jackson Mumey. I give the course an A+. The folks who work there are genuine and caring and the support from fellow students is tremendous. I passed my July bar with room to spare and owe all of it to the folks at Celebration. Mike in CA.


[For the sake of argument and disregarding the fact that this is a fake account created purely to detract from the fact that this bar program is a scam:]

Sorry, but no one who passes the CBX can know that they passed it with "room to spare." You don't even get your scores back. Maybe one might THINK or FEEL like they did.

verejacob
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:55 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby verejacob » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:28 pm

ur_hero wrote:
Mikeandcris wrote:I'm a CA attorney who graduated from law school in 1985. After practicing in CA all that time, I decided to take the Colorado Bar. After searching online I found Celebration Bar Review. For me, it was perfect because I worked full time and only missed a week of work to travel to CO and take the test. I started with Celebration around March 1 and followed it's syllabus to a "T". I took the "non mentored option" (@$975.00) but took advantage of the online group meetings and weeking online web sessions with Jackson Mumey. I give the course an A+. The folks who work there are genuine and caring and the support from fellow students is tremendous. I passed my July bar with room to spare and owe all of it to the folks at Celebration. Mike in CA.


[For the sake of argument and disregarding the fact that this is a fake account created purely to detract from the fact that this bar program is a scam:]

Sorry, but no one who passes the CBX can know that they passed it with "room to spare." You don't even get your scores back. Maybe one might THINK or FEEL like they did.


:wink:

User avatar
DogDay90
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:19 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby DogDay90 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:45 pm

I have no doubt that the account belongs to someone at Celebration, and it sounds like the service is a borderline scam, but to be fair, the post says they passed the CO bar exam, not the CBX.

Usa0523
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Buyer Beware -- Celebration Bar Review

Postby Usa0523 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:48 am

Haha exactly, like I said in a previous post, the bias against the course in this thread is palpable.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jjg123 and 15 guests