can someone explain the Barbri percentile rankings? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ellewoods123

Bronze

can someone explain the Barbri percentile rankings?

Post by ellewoods123 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:43 pm

I can't decide if I'm in a bad place or not. I've been working through the workshops/mpqs, and for *most* I'm hitting the target. however, there have also been sets where I'm either 1 or 2 below target (so instead of being in ~60% correct, I'm around 50-55). So, that has me worried. But here's my confusion - in my state (NY) with a pass rate of about 70% - barbri tells you you're goal is to be within the 30th or 40th percentile. So I'm scoring slightly below the average Barbri students - but, can I have some comfort in believing that I can still fall above the 30th percentile overall?

I just need some reassurance. appease me.

*edit - for the record I started early because I have to take some time off this month, so I'm ahead in subjects/mpqs assigned

BVest

Platinum

Re: can someone explain the Barbri percentile rankings?

Post by BVest » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:29 pm

ellewoods123 wrote:I can't decide if I'm in a bad place or not. I've been working through the workshops/mpqs, and for *most* I'm hitting the target. however, there have also been sets where I'm either 1 or 2 below target (so instead of being in ~60% correct, I'm around 50-55). So, that has me worried. But here's my confusion - in my state (NY) with a pass rate of about 70% - barbri tells you you're goal is to be within the 30th or 40th percentile. So I'm scoring slightly below the average Barbri students - but, can I have some comfort in believing that I can still fall above the 30th percentile overall?

I just need some reassurance. appease me.

*edit - for the record I started early because I have to take some time off this month, so I'm ahead in subjects/mpqs assigned
Not answering your specific question, but as I recall, the percentiles change as more people take the questions (as in they're based on current barbri students; not historical numbers), so the fact that you're ahead will make your percentiles less meaningful generally.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpollock11

New

Post by rpollock11 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:52 pm

Did you ever end up finding out the answer to this question? Did you pass? I'm in basically the same position here in Arizona right now. Some reassurance would be really helpful. Thanks!

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:51 pm

I recently took and passed the New York bar. If you are consistently scoring above the 30th percentile, you will almost certainly pass. If you are scoring between 20-30, you will probably pass, but your issues with the test/material may give you trouble. If you are below the 20th percentile, you need to get help because you are probably not getting a passing score.

The percentile thing should probably be written by grades instead of percentiles, because I wasn't also extremely confused until I asked my BarBri rep about it 2 weeks before the exam. As a point of reference, I consistently scored between the 40-50 percentile marks and passed with a lot of room to spare.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:54 pm

I totally understand your uncertainty, it made an already stressful time even worse. That was my only real complaint about BarBri (I already knew they gave students way too much material and factored that into my studying from the start).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:40 pm

Where are you getting the percentile rankings from?

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:47 pm

okaygo wrote:Where are you getting the percentile rankings from?
Go to StudySmart, click "view results", and then select the "percentile rank" tab.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:49 pm

Thanks!

Tiredbuthappyitsover

New

Post by Tiredbuthappyitsover » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:28 pm

What hindsight taught me, hindsight being 20/20, is that the barbri percentile rankings probably actually matter (including StudySmart). My percentiles for MBE weren't very good overall, and I ranked in the 20th percentile of all test takers for the full length exam and I ended up failing the real thing by a few points. In February, I ditched barbri for another program and studied differently, so my practice scores were better and I ended up passing with 30 points to spare.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”