Georgia Attorney's Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
CivPro2isFun

New

Georgia Attorney's Exam

Post by CivPro2isFun » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Anyone else taking the GA Attorney's Exam in July? Thoughts/hints on prepping? Will be my 3rd (FL and TX)....

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Georgia Attorney's Exam

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:16 pm

Did you recently re-locate? Just curious why you'd put yourself through three exams.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CivPro2isFun

New

Post by CivPro2isFun » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:20 pm

kellyfrost wrote:Did you recently re-locate? Just curious why you'd put yourself through three exams.
Finishing up a clerkship, wasn't sure where I wanted to end up.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:04 pm

CivPro2isFun wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:Did you recently re-locate? Just curious why you'd put yourself through three exams.
Finishing up a clerkship, wasn't sure where I wanted to end up.
Makes sense. I don't know anything about the GA attorney's exam, but hopefully it isn't as bad as the actual bar exam. You've suffered enough and proven yourself.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LittleE

New

Post by LittleE » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:15 pm

CivPro2isFun wrote:Anyone else taking the GA Attorney's Exam in July? Thoughts/hints on prepping? Will be my 3rd (FL and TX)....
Well, statistically, your odds of passing is great! I think the passage rate is 85% or greater every administration.

As far as studying/prepping, make sure you study GA specifics/distinctions and all MBE subjects. GA essays questions are very pointed/specific unlike FL where it is a free for all issue spotting. For the most part, on GA essays, the issues are already defined in the questions so don't waste your time writing about issues they did not ask you for. You will not get extra points. Having taken FL and GA, I think GA is a bit harder b/c it is all essays and you have to allocate your time wisely. Don't know if TX have MPTs, but make sure you practice those as well. Barbri essay books are great for practicing GA essays and you can also look at the bar admissions website for past questions. Hope that helps!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CivPro2isFun

New

Post by CivPro2isFun » Tue May 03, 2016 8:14 pm

LittleE wrote:
CivPro2isFun wrote:Anyone else taking the GA Attorney's Exam in July? Thoughts/hints on prepping? Will be my 3rd (FL and TX)....
Well, statistically, your odds of passing is great! I think the passage rate is 85% or greater every administration.

As far as studying/prepping, make sure you study GA specifics/distinctions and all MBE subjects. GA essays questions are very pointed/specific unlike FL where it is a free for all issue spotting. For the most part, on GA essays, the issues are already defined in the questions so don't waste your time writing about issues they did not ask you for. You will not get extra points. Having taken FL and GA, I think GA is a bit harder b/c it is all essays and you have to allocate your time wisely. Don't know if TX have MPTs, but make sure you practice those as well. Barbri essay books are great for practicing GA essays and you can also look at the bar admissions website for past questions. Hope that helps!
Appreciate the advice!

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Tue May 03, 2016 8:45 pm

The GA distinctions are important. But if you can't remember the distinction, just apply blackletter law. You'll miss a few points but still get some for issue spotting, providing a rule, and showing an analysis. GA gives two MPTs so that should help you gain some points.

Your bar review course should tell you the most frequently tested essay areas for GA. I took the July 2015 bar and my course said torts, contracts, and crim are the top MBE subjects tested on essays (with GA distinctions included). GA civil procedure is also really important. For July 2015, one question was a torts fact pattern but half the questions were really GA civ pro. Another question was entirely GA civ pro.

Lapis123

New

Post by Lapis123 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:08 am

I'm planning on taking the atty exam in February. Does someone mind posting the breakdown of how many times each topic has been tested or recommend any resources outlining GA distinctions? I'm working full-time and currently studying by analyzing past exams (no bar review). I'm lucky if I get two good hours in a day and then a combined 12 hours on the weekends. Anyone have any tips?

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sun May 15, 2016 10:04 am

I don't remember the breakdown percentage-wise so maybe someone else can provide those. But I know you're basically guaranteed to get a torts, contracts, or crim question, or maybe two. GA civ pro is also something you don't want to neglect. Or at least be really great at federal civil procedure and just miss points on distinctions. Family law was also apparently pretty popular. It wasn't tested July 2015. If it wasn't tested in February 2016 and isn't tested again July 2016, then it would probably be due for February 2017.

I studied for the full exam July 2015, but if I were planning on just the attorney exam, I would look into buying the critical pass cards and Lean Sheet study aids. They don't contain the distinctions. But without a bar review course they would really help with black letter law. Lean Sheets contain really condensed outlines for each GA essay subject. The bar review courses is where to get the distinctions, so maybe someone will have an old outline with those closer to February.
Last edited by Mr. Archer on Sun May 15, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lapis123

New

Post by Lapis123 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks, Mr. Archer! I appreciate the advice.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sun May 15, 2016 11:46 am

Lapis123 wrote:Thanks, Mr. Archer! I appreciate the advice.
No problem. I actually meant to write Lean Sheets instead of One Sheets, FYI.

LittleE

New

Post by LittleE » Mon May 16, 2016 2:46 am

Lapis123 wrote:I'm planning on taking the atty exam in February. Does someone mind posting the breakdown of how many times each topic has been tested or recommend any resources outlining GA distinctions? I'm working full-time and currently studying by analyzing past exams (no bar review). I'm lucky if I get two good hours in a day and then a combined 12 hours on the weekends. Anyone have any tips?
In the last 21 bar exams:

BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS* 9X
• Promoters’ relationships w/3rd parties
• Corp. formation
CONTRACTS* 11X
• SoF
CRIMINAL LAW AND PROCEDURE 8X
EVIDENCE 4X (incl'd Feb. 2016)
FAMILY LAW** 9X
• Division of property (divorce)
• Best Interest of Child Standard
FEDERAL CIVIL PROCEDURE/CON. LAW* 14X (incl'd Feb. 2016)
• Sovereign immunity
• Due process
GEORGIA PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE* 8X
NON-MONETARY REMEDIES* 8X
• Interlocutory injunctions
PROFESSIONAL ETHICS* 9X
• Conflict of interest (new/potential clients)
PROPERTY 6X
TORTS** 14X (incl'd Feb. 2016)
• Negligence
• Assumption of risk
TRUSTS, WILLS AND ESTATES 4X (incl'd Feb. 2016)
UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE: (Rare - could be coming soon)
ARTICLE 2 – SALES
ARTICLE 3 – COMMERCIAL PAPER (Negotiable Instruments)
ARTICLE 9 – SECURED TRANSACTIONS

Asterisk (*) = general topic/law highly tested
Bullet (•) = subtopics often tested

Lapis123

New

Post by Lapis123 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:33 pm

Thanks so much for the helpful breakdown! I appreciate it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lapis123

New

Post by Lapis123 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:23 am

I have a question. So, I was planning to take the Feb exam and am in the middle of the Character and Fitness application process. I am now wondering if after passing C&F, I can instead take the July 2017 atty exam? I didn't realize that you only get one shot at passing the attys exam (if not you are stuck sitting for the two day exam). I also want to thank the TLS-er that let me know. Things seem like they are going to be chaotic at work over the next few months and I will probably be in a better position to study for July.

bdowns12

New

Post by bdowns12 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:19 pm

Anybody taking the Feb. 2017 Attorneys' Exam? Currently barred in Maryland. For me, the essays seemed to be my strong suit. One section of the MBE went as expected, and the other section was kind of like "what in the world?" Anyway... given that, I figured the Attorneys' Exam would be a good option for me, however I don't really want to spend money on an entire prep class just for the essays.... thoughts? What have past test takers done? Does anyone know of any study resources that focus on the GA distinctions?

LittleE

New

Post by LittleE » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 am

bdowns12 wrote:Anybody taking the Feb. 2017 Attorneys' Exam? Currently barred in Maryland. For me, the essays seemed to be my strong suit. One section of the MBE went as expected, and the other section was kind of like "what in the world?" Anyway... given that, I figured the Attorneys' Exam would be a good option for me, however I don't really want to spend money on an entire prep class just for the essays.... thoughts? What have past test takers done? Does anyone know of any study resources that focus on the GA distinctions?
Barbri is great for essay prep in GA. GA really likes to test GA specific distinctions as well as MBE subjects so I recommend you study all of the above. I just passed the GA Bar and am selling my Barbri books (plus my personal outlines on GA distinctions). Let me know if you are interested!

bdowns12

New

Post by bdowns12 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:46 am

LittleE wrote:
bdowns12 wrote:Anybody taking the Feb. 2017 Attorneys' Exam? Currently barred in Maryland. For me, the essays seemed to be my strong suit. One section of the MBE went as expected, and the other section was kind of like "what in the world?" Anyway... given that, I figured the Attorneys' Exam would be a good option for me, however I don't really want to spend money on an entire prep class just for the essays.... thoughts? What have past test takers done? Does anyone know of any study resources that focus on the GA distinctions?
Barbri is great for essay prep in GA. GA really likes to test GA specific distinctions as well as MBE subjects so I recommend you study all of the above. I just passed the GA Bar and am selling my Barbri books (plus my personal outlines on GA distinctions). Let me know if you are interested!
I PM'd you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LittleE

New

Post by LittleE » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:34 pm

bdowns12 wrote:
LittleE wrote:
I PM'd you!
I responded!

spatel50

New

Post by spatel50 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Anyone still have their GA distinctions outline they would be willing to sell?

UTLawGuy

New

Post by UTLawGuy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:48 am

I too wouldn't mind some GA specific outlines. Doing BARBRI but I don't have time to outline and like to review on my iPad. They should provide state specific mini reviews on the app.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:29 am

How long did everyone's c&f investigation take? Taking the July exam, sent my c&f stuff in late December but still haven't been assigned to an analyst. A little freaked out they won't get to me in time for the exam

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dchunny614

New

Post by dchunny614 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:47 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:How long did everyone's c&f investigation take? Taking the July exam, sent my c&f stuff in late December but still haven't been assigned to an analyst. A little freaked out they won't get to me in time for the exam
Applied July 5th..Certificate November 3rd

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:56 am

dchunny614 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:How long did everyone's c&f investigation take? Taking the July exam, sent my c&f stuff in late December but still haven't been assigned to an analyst. A little freaked out they won't get to me in time for the exam
Do you remember how long after you applied you were assigned to an analyst? They're really taking their sweet time

dchunny614

New

Post by dchunny614 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:48 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
dchunny614 wrote:
Do you remember how long after you applied you were assigned to an analyst? They're really taking their sweet time
I just checked. It took 1 month and 5 days.

Bcalhoun

New

Post by Bcalhoun » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:06 pm

Hello! I Have my application in to take the Georgia attorneys exam in February 2018. Currently licensed in SC. Does anyone have any GA State law outlines or recent barbri Georgia materials for sale?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”