July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bsktbll28082

Silver

July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Post by bsktbll28082 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:11 pm

Didn't see another VA thread so.....

Booked my hotel already. Staying about a mile away from the test location; hope that's okay. Taking Themis.

Youppi

New

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Post by Youppi » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:15 pm

FYI: They don't bother to hire a cop to direct traffic the day of the exam, so traffic gets backed up a few minutes as the lines form around the Berglund Center.

Don't panic. They didn't even let us in the building until at least 15-20 minutes after the time they instructed us to show up.

Best of luck, I passed last July.

doctoroflaw91

Bronze

Post by doctoroflaw91 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Checking in, and trying not to think too much about this yet. It's really hard to do with Barbri emails reminding me that I should start their early-start program.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:15 pm

Submitting app for the bar by the end of this week.

doctoroflaw: everyone I've spoken to said not to start prep too early because: you'll burn out and you can only remember so much for so long.

doctoroflaw91

Bronze

Post by doctoroflaw91 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:23 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:Submitting app for the bar by the end of this week.

doctoroflaw: everyone I've spoken to said not to start prep too early because: you'll burn out and you can only remember so much for so long.

Oh, absolutely. It's not even about burnout so much as it is that I'm soaking up the remainder of 3LOLOL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

playpowerball

New

Post by playpowerball » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:06 pm

if I understand correctly, the form for character and fitness must be submitted by May 10th. The "should be filed no more than 90 days before filing deadline" isnt the hard deadline right?

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:46 am

playpowerball wrote:if I understand correctly, the form for character and fitness must be submitted by May 10th. The "should be filed no more than 90 days before filing deadline" isnt the hard deadline right?
I'm reading your post as: file by 5/10 but do not file before 2/10 (90 days prior).

Also, I thought the C&F was printed with the application? I'm submitting mine together.

ghramotron

New

Deleted

Post by ghramotron » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:18 pm

Deleted
Last edited by ghramotron on Fri May 13, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:27 am

ghramotron wrote:Does anyone have any WV materials available for sale?
We're talking about Virginia, not West Virginia.

Anyone using supplemental sources like Adaptibar?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

VirginiaBarExamTutor

New

Post by VirginiaBarExamTutor » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:01 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:Submitting app for the bar by the end of this week.

I don't think Barbri's "early start" program is of much actual use to anyone. Having passed a few bar exams, including Virginia, I'm more sure than ever that slow and steady wins the race. Just follow the basic program, and most people are fine. I do recommend that for any part of the study syllabus where you can select an activity, that you choose the more interactive study methods like flashcards and quizzes as opposed to watching lectures or outlining. There is some good research out there that shows how much more effective those interactive methods are, even if you are getting some answers wrong in the beginning.

But I agree -- there is no real benefit to starting earlier than the syllabus recommends. Those 'early start' emails are annoying.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:27 am

Checking in. Barbri. Submitted my app/character a few weeks ago. I'm paranoid about knowing that it's actually been accepted and that I'm ready to go for the exam. Yes I did certified mail and I know they received it, but any way to get confirmation that I'm good-to-go for the exam? I know they don't take phone calls.

Also I had my MPRE scores sent as well - any way to confirm they were actually received?

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:36 am

ironbmike wrote:Checking in. Barbri. Submitted my app/character a few weeks ago. I'm paranoid about knowing that it's actually been accepted and that I'm ready to go for the exam. Yes I did certified mail and I know they received it, but any way to get confirmation that I'm good-to-go for the exam? I know they don't take phone calls.

Also I had my MPRE scores sent as well - any way to confirm they were actually received?
At least for the application (and I know this is too late), there is an option to send a self-addressed envelope which they send back to you when they receive it. Maybe you could send them a request in writing? I'm just hoping they got mine and I'm good to go.

For MPRE, I checked my main webpage and it said I sent them when I took the exam.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:40 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:
ironbmike wrote:Checking in. Barbri. Submitted my app/character a few weeks ago. I'm paranoid about knowing that it's actually been accepted and that I'm ready to go for the exam. Yes I did certified mail and I know they received it, but any way to get confirmation that I'm good-to-go for the exam? I know they don't take phone calls.

At least for the application (and I know this is too late), there is an option to send a self-addressed envelope which they send back to you when they receive it. Maybe you could send them a request in writing? I'm just hoping they got mine and I'm good to go.

For MPRE, I checked my main webpage and it said I sent them when I took the exam.
Yeah, I considered the envelope but read that it was essentially the same as doing certified mail. Just says "we received it." I just don't want to show up on test day and have them say "oh, you weren't approved" or "oh, you're not on the list," ya know? The stuff of nightmares.

Maybe I'll send them a letter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:43 am

ironbmike wrote:Yeah, I considered the envelope but read that it was essentially the same as doing certified mail. Just says "we received it." I just don't want to show up on test day and have them say "oh, you weren't approved" or "oh, you're not on the list," ya know? The stuff of nightmares.
Currently worried about exactly that because my license will expire before the exam. So the picture I sent them will no longer be valid and I picture I use to prove my identity will be different. I'm getting it retaken soon and I think I'm going to send them an update. Not sure what the protocol is for this.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:53 am

Curious if anyone is going to focus more on the MBE than essays (even though its 40%/60%). Time-wise, I just don't think it makes sense to try and learn 21 subjects well for the essays when I could focus on learning 7 subjects well for the MBE.

Of course I could be totally wrong.

VirginiaBarExamTutor

New

Post by VirginiaBarExamTutor » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:38 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:Curious if anyone is going to focus more on the MBE than essays (even though its 40%/60%). Time-wise, I just don't think it makes sense to try and learn 21 subjects well for the essays when I could focus on learning 7 subjects well for the MBE.

Of course I could be totally wrong.
I'd suggest that they are just completely different and it makes sense to divide your time pretty much as recommended by your bar prep course. To the extent that you have some choices about your time, the MBE 'simulations' offered in BarBri and Kaplan give you a pretty good idea of how you will score on the MBE. Some people naturally do better with multiple-choice exams than others, but most people find that with practice they will hit a "ceiling" on their MBE score --- a point where no matter how much more effort and practice they do, their MBE score doesn't continue to increase.

The same is usually not true for the essays. Most people can improve their essay score significantly by memorizing the relevant Virginia rules for the "top tier" subjects (those subjects tested on every (or almost every) edition of the exam-- wills, va procedure, federal jurisdiction, family law, criminal) and practicing outlining sample essays that apply those rules.

The key is to prioritize your study of Virginia-specific law so that you study the subject areas, and rules within the subject areas, that are most frequently tested. While there are potentially 21 subject areas, the number of legal rules that the Examiners test within each subject is pretty small. Comparatively, the MBE tests hundreds of legal rules under some of the 7 subject areas. So studying well for the essays is somewhat a game of playing the odds.

tldr: People who 'hit a wall' with their MBE score, usually find they can keep improving their essay score to make up for it.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:26 am

^I did not know most of that. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

annoyingchihuahua

New

Post by annoyingchihuahua » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:29 pm

So, I took the VA Bar Exam in July 2015 and missed it by a couple of points. I sat again in February 2016 and passed. I hope I can answer some questions that you all are having. If you sent your application by certified mail or priority mail and it says it was delivered, rest assured they have your application. The VBBE will send an email several weeks after the deadline to tell you they received it and to ensure that your friends got the same email if they submitted an application. If there are problems with your C & F, then they will notify you. I personally think that everyone sits for the exam and the people with huge C & F issues have hearings in the months following the exam. As far as not trying to learn all of the subjects, believe it or not it is possible despite seeming like an impossible task. It would be a mistake not to try to learn them. And for the person with the expiring license, just send them a new copy. They are nicer than you think and being forthcoming is way better than being nervous about license photo issues around exam time and on exam day. Best of luck to everyone!

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:20 pm

Bit the bullet and bought the CP flashcards. Also looking at leansheets. I think those will be the only supplements I get, maybe the Strategies book too.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:31 pm

Self-studier in the house. What hotel is the best?

annoyingchihuahua

New

Post by annoyingchihuahua » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:04 pm

Hotel Roanoke.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu May 05, 2016 10:10 pm

For the love of god, what does it take to get dates to save in the Start and End year fields on the online app? Firefox, Chrome and IE no

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Sat May 07, 2016 1:39 pm

Checking in. Just submitted (using a statutorily-authorized express option). This should be fun.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:36 pm

justonemoregame wrote:For the love of god, what does it take to get dates to save in the Start and End year fields on the online app? Firefox, Chrome and IE no
Use the drop downs to select the date, don't just enter the years. That was my problem at least. I use Chrome.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Sat May 14, 2016 12:53 am

Best cheap hotels in the area?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”