July 2016 (UBE) Self Study Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nachosrgood

Bronze

Re: July 2016 (UBE) Self Study Thread

Post by nachosrgood » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:54 am

seasidemama wrote:
nachosrgood wrote:

I'm thinking where to get descent practice questions on this since it's so new.
In the scope of things, it is a small amount of material, so I am not really concerned. We'll know what the law is with regards to MBE and MEE and we can be conscientious about the new law when you do practice questions.

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:46 am

As someone getting ready to take her third state bar exam (long story) using both bar prep course and self-studying, I personally think that bar prep courses are NOT worth it. For the UBE bar exam that I'm taking this summer, I'm planning on using Barbri's CMR & practice MPTs, Emmanuels, Critical Pass, and Adaptibar. I found that eBay and Amazon are good places to get the books. I also have a $50 Adaptibar discount code if anyone wants one. Just PM me with your email address, and I'll get you the code. Happy studying!

Sam0406

New

Post by Sam0406 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:02 pm

Does anyone have access to newest version of Barbri CMR? (I was told there are changes made to certain section of the law). I am a repeater and have used up my barbri repeat....otherwise I have to spend $$$ again just to get that book...... any option/advice?

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:26 pm

Sam0406 wrote:Does anyone have access to newest version of Barbri CMR? (I was told there are changes made to certain section of the law). I am a repeater and have used up my barbri repeat....otherwise I have to spend $$$ again just to get that book...... any option/advice?
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're asking, but I've heard that you can buy the books from Barbri al carte, rather than buying the whole bar prep course. It might be an urban law school legend though!

Sam0406

New

Post by Sam0406 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:40 pm

squiggle wrote:
Sam0406 wrote:Does anyone have access to newest version of Barbri CMR? (I was told there are changes made to certain section of the law). I am a repeater and have used up my barbri repeat....otherwise I have to spend $$$ again just to get that book...... any option/advice?
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're asking, but I've heard that you can buy the books from Barbri al carte, rather than buying the whole bar prep course. It might be an urban law school legend though!

Thanks, unfortunately they do not offer the option. I was told that I have to pay for the full course even if I just want a few books. I might have to since they changed the outlines for the summer..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi! Checking in. Took the July 2015 exam, but didn't pass.
Sat out Feb 2016 because of the UBE. Can't decide whether or not to take a course. Burnt once by Barbri.

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:05 pm

I am gonna have the 2015 Barbri CMR.
There might be one of the 2016 on eBay if that is what you are looking for (think I saw one the other week).

Curious about what you heard that is different, is anything different other than the Civ Pro stuff we discussed a bit earlier in this thread?

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:11 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:Hi! Checking in. Took the July 2015 exam, but didn't pass.
Sat out Feb 2016 because of the UBE. Can't decide whether or not to take a course. Burnt once by Barbri.
Welcome! Oughf... tough question. Hard to say without more information, but even with that, I am not an expert so not sure if I could give any advice... Here are the things I wouldd be thinking about: How close was I? Do I just need to improve MBE or is it the other sections? Did I have self focus problems? How much can I afford?

Sam0406

New

Post by Sam0406 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:34 am

nachosrgood wrote:
I am gonna have the 2015 Barbri CMR.
There might be one of the 2016 on eBay if that is what you are looking for (think I saw one the other week).

Curious about what you heard that is different, is anything different other than the Civ Pro stuff we discussed a bit earlier in this thread?
I have 2015 CMR too, I was told the Summer 2016 has changes from a few other section of the law as well. But I'm mostly concerned with the new civ pro section, just as to how much and exactly what we need to restudy? So I am contemplating whether I do need to pay so I can get the newest version of the book. Barbri said they included additional changes apart from supplement they provided in the s15/w16 book.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Worthless1

New

Post by Worthless1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:36 pm

What self-study materials are you all using to learn black letter law for the additional topics tested on the MEE (trusts and wills, security interests, corporations, etc)?

Thanks so much.

udonisandtrinity

Bronze

Post by udonisandtrinity » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:08 pm

Worthless1 wrote:What self-study materials are you all using to learn black letter law for the additional topics tested on the MEE (trusts and wills, security interests, corporations, etc)?

Thanks so much.
I'm taking Kaplan. I have all the materials for the MBE and MPT.

seasidemama

New

Post by seasidemama » Mon May 02, 2016 2:51 am

For those looking for refresher lecture on civ pro mbe, I thought I'd share this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kkbyLxQP3k

this is for the Feb exam, so new rules are not covered. But I would watch this channel for updates for July as well.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Tue May 03, 2016 11:14 am

nachosrgood wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:Hi! Checking in. Took the July 2015 exam, but didn't pass.
Welcome! Oughf... tough question. Hard to say without more information, but even with that, I am not an expert so not sure if I could give any advice... Here are the things I wouldd be thinking about: How close was I? Do I just need to improve MBE or is it the other sections? Did I have self focus problems? How much can I afford?
Hi! My piggybank could use the money, but I'm concerned about the new MEE material.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dxchpwd

New

Post by dxchpwd » Tue May 03, 2016 12:20 pm

Since NY adopted UBE, are we allowed to sit for the UBE in any state now? I sat for NY in Feb and didn't pass. Retaking it in July, but don't know if I have to go all the way to NY or can I sit for it at my home state, DC. DC is a UBE state as well. Please advise.

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Tue May 03, 2016 2:57 pm

I'm also taking the UBE state, but am considering later transferring my UBE score to NY. You can transfer your UBE score to NY, assuming you meet NY's minimum (even if you didn't meet the minimum in the state where you took it) and pay the $250. You'll also have take a short NY specific exam after and meet all of NY's other admission's requirements.

Here's some more info: http://www.nybarexam.org/UBE/UBE%20FAQs_5_8_2015.pdf

I'm opting to save time and $ on lodging/transportation by opting to take it where I currently live.
dxchpwd wrote:Since NY adopted UBE, are we allowed to sit for the UBE in any state now? I sat for NY in Feb and didn't pass. Retaking it in July, but don't know if I have to go all the way to NY or can I sit for it at my home state, DC. DC is a UBE state as well. Please advise.

seasidemama

New

Post by seasidemama » Wed May 04, 2016 4:43 am

In researching material for self study, I have been reading many posts recommending one program or another. I saw a lot of positive reviews of adaptibar on this forum which prompted me to look into it some more. For those of you considering it, here is some general info about adaptibar I didn't know from reading other posts:

I have been looking into getting the official NCBE questions at $50 a piece as the majority of test takers say that regardless of bar prep course these are the best to study since the are actual questions from past exams. For those of you who haven't looked into adaptibar, their full question bank option includes all 4 exams, so more than half of the price of the program is basically free if you were planning to buy all 4 exams from NCBE. Especially if you use a discount code.

Also, they offer a trial version with limited questions to give you a feel for their questions and software before you decide if it is right for you (official NCBE questions not included here).

Finally, they have a 105% money back guarantee or alternately a free re-enrollment if you do not pass. The condition is that you answer 1300 questions at 70% accuracy - if you then fail the guarantee kicks in...

Well, this convinced me of at least signing up for the trial version and I am really liking it so far. Good questions and explanations and there is a very helpful interface (sample) for knowing your strengths/weaknesses and being able to select questions per topic as needed, with timer, progress bar etc.

If anyone needs a $50 discount code, pm me - there is an option to put in this code when you sign up for your trial membership.

I'm pretty sure I will be purchasing the full program, especially since they also have 200 updated civ pro questions which will be hard to come by elsewhere with all the changes.

seasidemama

New

Post by seasidemama » Mon May 09, 2016 9:05 am

I hear an echo in here... :roll:

Is everyone very busy studying or not yet truly started?

I'm at the refresher state.. gone over contracts, torts, con law & Crim Law and started doing those questions. Having mental block with criminal law and wondering how everyone is doing in memorizing these statutes and rules/standards. I did really well in school on this subject, but it was open book. What are the tricks to memorizing these (other statute specific subjects too.) :?: does it just ultimately sink in after repetitive review/question practice?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dxchpwd

New

Post by dxchpwd » Mon May 09, 2016 9:58 am

Guys,

Anybody knows the link to apply for UBE in DC?

Thanks!

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Tue May 10, 2016 10:37 am

seasidemama wrote:I hear an echo in here... :roll:

I'm at the refresher state.. gone over contracts, torts, con law & Crim Law and started doing those questions. Having mental block with criminal law and wondering how everyone is doing in memorizing these statutes and rules/standards. I did really well in school on this subject, but it was open book. What are the tricks to memorizing these (other statute specific subjects too.) :?: does it just ultimately sink in after repetitive review/question practice?
Sounds like you are ahead of the curb.

I am not starting for another couple weeks. I am gonna ramp up memorizing the law in July. June is time to make sure I refresh, do as many MBEs and MEEs as I can, and do some flash card memorization.

Metal_Inquisition

New

Post by Metal_Inquisition » Tue May 10, 2016 12:55 pm

nachosrgood wrote:

I am not starting for another couple weeks. I am gonna ramp up memorizing the law in July. June is time to make sure I refresh, do as many MBEs and MEEs as I can, and do some flash card memorization.

I am having the absolute worst time trying to start. I literally average about an hour a day. Last time I took the CA bar exam (second time...don't know if I passed yet) I had to start using a timekeeper app to help me get started. It really showed me how much actual work I was doing, and kind of shamed me into doing more. Then it became a game to see how many honest hours I could rack up each day.

Anyway looks like I am going to have to start re-using that app. If anyone is interested, the app I used is called Eternity on my phone. But there are plenty of other time keeping apps that I'm sure work great.

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Tue May 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Metal_Inquisition wrote:
nachosrgood wrote:

I am having the absolute worst time trying to start. I literally average about an hour a day. Last time I took the CA bar exam (second time...don't know if I passed yet) I had to start using a timekeeper app to help me get started. It really showed me how much actual work I was doing, and kind of shamed me into doing more. Then it became a game to see how many honest hours I could rack up each day.

Anyway looks like I am going to have to start re-using that app. If anyone is interested, the app I used is called Eternity on my phone. But there are plenty of other time keeping apps that I'm sure work great.
I feel you, I am gonna use a focusing app to lock me out of other computer apps and non-productive web sites. Thanks for the tip, I'll look it up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

seasidemama

New

Post by seasidemama » Wed May 11, 2016 12:16 pm

nachosrgood wrote:
Metal_Inquisition wrote:
nachosrgood wrote:

I feel you, I am gonna use a focusing app to lock me out of other computer apps and non-productive web sites. Thanks for the tip, I'll look it up.

Starting early is more of a necessity than option since I graduated 10 years ago and need time to re-remember things.
I started doing adaptibar questions on the subjects I went over and am hovering at about 70% - some of which I know the rule for a fact but a fair % of the questions I feel I guess through instinct & elimination. I hope that as time goes on I will feel more confident on the subjects with specific rules that need memorization (those I get tripped up on) ex: what intent needed for what crimes etc. Started going over property and my head is spinning...

I feel the adaptibar QB is really helping me get focused rather than just trying to memorize blindly and since they include the 4 official NCBE exams which I was gonna buy anyway, $145 was a good investment IMO (if anyone needs the $50 discount code, pm me). Debating whether to purchase the flash cards but right now leaning towards not getting them - maybe will use an app to make my own.

My main concern is Civ Pro. The best I could find is a Bar review lecture for the Feb MBE (on youtube, I posted a link in a previous post) but that doesn't include the new rules. Will have to make an outline and edit the changed rules.

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Wed May 11, 2016 1:57 pm

seasidemama wrote: Starting early is more of a necessity than option since I graduated 10 years ago and need time to re-remember things.
I started doing adaptibar questions on the subjects I went over and am hovering at about 70% - some of which I know the rule for a fact but a fair % of the questions I feel I guess through instinct & elimination. I hope that as time goes on I will feel more confident on the subjects with specific rules that need memorization (those I get tripped up on) ex: what intent needed for what crimes etc. Started going over property and my head is spinning...

I feel the adaptibar QB is really helping me get focused rather than just trying to memorize blindly and since they include the 4 official NCBE exams which I was gonna buy anyway, $145 was a good investment IMO (if anyone needs the $50 discount code, pm me). Debating whether to purchase the flash cards but right now leaning towards not getting them - maybe will use an app to make my own.

My main concern is Civ Pro. The best I could find is a Bar review lecture for the Feb MBE (on youtube, I posted a link in a previous post) but that doesn't include the new rules. Will have to make an outline and edit the changed rules.
Ah, ok. Still seems like you are in a good spot. I am gonna do the same think for Civ Pro, I am pretty confident it will be fine, but I'll post here if I get other civ pro tips/info from my friends taking Barbri.

I'm using BarMax, I'll post later once I've used them to let people know what I think about their MBE bank. Def the cheapest option.

blaze1306

Bronze

Post by blaze1306 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:14 pm

Hello...I am new to the site. I am self studying for the UBE here in New Mexico as I work at the prosecutors office. A prosecutors position is contingent on bar passage and I am using PMBR and BarBri from a few years ago used by former test takers here in the office. The books are a few years old (3-5) and I am a little concerned they may be outdated. From what I have seen I hope they are still relevant for the UBE. I plan on buying a Civ Pro book to cover that subject. Any thoughts?

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Fri May 13, 2016 5:38 pm

blaze1306 wrote:Hello...I am new to the site. I am self studying for the UBE here in New Mexico as I work at the prosecutors office. A prosecutors position is contingent on bar passage and I am using PMBR and BarBri from a few years ago used by former test takers here in the office. The books are a few years old (3-5) and I am a little concerned they may be outdated. From what I have seen I hope they are still relevant for the UBE. I plan on buying a Civ Pro book to cover that subject. Any thoughts?
They should be fine and that is a good decision to use new civ pro material as the law has changed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”