July 2016 (UBE) Self Study Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
myrtlewinston

Bronze

Re: July 2016 (UBE) Self Study Thread

Post by myrtlewinston » Fri May 13, 2016 9:24 pm

FYI: Adaptibar offers lectures by Jonathan Grossman. If you can, watch them. He breaks the MBE rules down into plain English and has helped me clarify a number of issues.

alpaslan

New

Post by alpaslan » Fri May 13, 2016 9:42 pm

8)
Last edited by alpaslan on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sun May 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Is anyone living in NYC currently?

barprepblues

New

Post by barprepblues » Sun May 15, 2016 9:43 pm

taking the ube for new york this july. does anyone know if we can transfer mbe scores from other states to the ube?

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Sun May 15, 2016 10:46 pm

barprepblues wrote:taking the ube for new york this july. does anyone know if we can transfer mbe scores from other states to the ube?
Not taking NY bar so take this with a huge grain of salt but I heard from someone that you can... DONT TAKE MY WORD, call the NY bar examinationers/NY Supreme Court (whatever it is there) and figure this out. This is one of those things you should be getting the answer from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MzJD

New

Post by MzJD » Wed May 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Hey All! Checking in UBE repeater and I will be self-studying too. I am trying to create a schedule as I will be working this time and last time I was not if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I am going to be using the Barbri CRM from 2015. I will also be using the Rigos books ($50 on Amazon) a piece 4 books. I will also supplement with baroutlines.com which I already paid the $50 and can use for a lifetime. I will start my program next week Monday on the 23rd. If you all have any questions about the UBE feel free to ask as I've already taken it.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Thu May 19, 2016 7:04 pm

if you're still looking for material, see my post in the Sale thread. You won't even need Adaptibar!

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Wed May 25, 2016 10:03 am

Hope studying for all you self-studiers is going well. No complaints here.

lawst_

New

Post by lawst_ » Wed May 25, 2016 10:28 am

What is everyone's study schedule looking like? I'm having trouble creating one for myself since I'm working full time and have an hour+ commute on each end of my day.

This is further complicated by the fact that I really can't afford a full bar prep course so I can't listen to lectures while I work or anything like that. I will be getting Adaptibar asap though, as I'm a third time taker and cannot master the MBE for the life of me.

I have pretty much all the materials I could manage, aside from the bar course itself. I have all 2015 Barbri books, all or most 2015 Kaplan books (from a friend), Critical Pass cards, and the Emanuel's MBE book.

Any help/ideas for creating a schedule appreciated!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Wed May 25, 2016 12:14 pm

Do you have a friend who's taking Barbri or Kaplan? If so, you could follow the course schedule.

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Wed May 25, 2016 12:52 pm

lawst_ wrote:What is everyone's study schedule looking like? I'm having trouble creating one for myself since I'm working full time and have an hour+ commute on each end of my day.

This is further complicated by the fact that I really can't afford a full bar prep course so I can't listen to lectures while I work or anything like that. I will be getting Adaptibar asap though, as I'm a third time taker and cannot master the MBE for the life of me.

I have pretty much all the materials I could manage, aside from the bar course itself. I have all 2015 Barbri books, all or most 2015 Kaplan books (from a friend), Critical Pass cards, and the Emanuel's MBE book.

Any help/ideas for creating a schedule appreciated!

I am following Barbri's for the big picture. You can download it online at their website (I downloaded the NY UBE one: http://www.barbri.com/states/new-york/c ... w-york.jsp)

For a daily schedule here is what I thought I would do:
8:30-9 - Flashcards
9-12 learn content by watching a free online video, reading CMR/friends Barbri notes from last year and comparing those to flash cards
12-1:30 - excercise+lunch
1:30-5ish MBE, essays and more flashcards (I would bulk up the flashcards with stuff I missed on essays or in MBE pratice)
4-7 chill
7-8 Flashcards MBEs

In reality I am actually try to get through all the substantive review straight through, then to familiarize/learn/begin to memorize the knowledge on the second half of my allotted time to that subject. So using evidence and the two days I allocated:
Day 1: 7 hours with breaks as needed straight substantive review (watch free videos, read notes, add to/compare notes with critical pass flashcards)
Day 2:
1 hour flash card review
3-4 hours of MBE then review
2 hours of MEE and review
1 hour flash card review to end

Also, about essays: generally only outline them (maybe write 1 a day, then outline the rest)

DueProcessDoWheelies

Bronze

Post by DueProcessDoWheelies » Wed May 25, 2016 1:21 pm

Anyone who needs an Adaptibar discount code- PM me your email and i'll send it to you ASAP!

Adaptibar is the shit. Helped me bring my MBE up 22 points from July to February 8)

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Thu May 26, 2016 8:08 pm

If any of you want to mix it up occassionally and hear/watch an MBE lecture for free, I have listed to this person's torts, evidence, and crim law/procedure videos on x2 speed after I reviewed the barbri lecture notes I have and critical pass. His videos cover pretty much the same material, albeit more superficially, though I have not found any errors. Happy studying.

http://passthebar.com/free-bar-review/p ... ro-review/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawst_

New

Post by lawst_ » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:10 am

Hey guys -- can anyone message me an Adaptibar code? I'd really like to get signed up today.

Thanks!

blaze1306

Bronze

Post by blaze1306 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:59 am

Ok so I have been studying since February. I graduated in 2013 and put off taking the Bar, February will be my first. I am scared S@#$less of failing so I am doing some type of studying everyday. I just finished the BarBRI Simulated MBE 2012 (400 Muti-choice questions) as well as the Multi State Primer book as well as periodical change of pace with Kaplans PMBR Mutistate workbook ( probably a total of 600 Multichoice questions in all) and Flashcards. I am now moving on to essay questions and I am VERY concerned that I am not getting close to the model answers.

I am taking the New Mexico UBE but these questions and answers from the February test are posted on the Minnesota ( another UBE state) site:
https://www.ble.state.mn.us/resource-ce ... swers.aspx

How do I better prepare myself for these essay? I feel fair about my performance on the Mutichoice but I am worried I'm not on the right track for essay. I know I just stated on them but...wow. How do I prepare an attack plan for the possible subjects? If I had sat for the February bar and seen the first question was the Secured Transaction like the one on the last Bar I may have ran out screaming.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:18 pm

Checking in. Planning on using baroutlines.com and will use the free MEE/MPT questions they offer on the NCBE website, I assume they haven't changed too much, at least structure wise, so should be fine for getting acclimated to the questions (if they have changed someone let me know please). Will probably use adaptibar questions as well, I pmed a few people who said they have discount codes but if anyone else wants to hook me up real quick I'd appreciate it.

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:02 pm

lawst_ wrote:Hey guys -- can anyone message me an Adaptibar code? I'd really like to get signed up today.

Thanks!
If you PM me the address you'd like to use to register for Adaptibar, I can send you the code.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

allthelaw

New

Post by allthelaw » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:42 pm

Wills question.

First time taking the UBE.

Is anyone aware if we need to know UPC for Wills, or just minority and majority rules?

I am studying of my materials from the previous bar I took, but that state was UPC.

Thanks!

Jss

New

Post by Jss » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:12 pm

Are we expected to be able to cite specific statute sections (e.g. UCC ) and case names?

BarTaker

Bronze

Post by BarTaker » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:20 pm

I signed up for Adaptibar. I did 200 practice questions and got an overall 55%... it's a "normal" range for my first time or I'm really wrong? Thanks.

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:23 am

Jss wrote:Are we expected to be able to cite specific statute sections (e.g. UCC ) and case names?
Just the BLL I think, not the statute or case reference. That is how Barbri model answer's are.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:24 am

BarTaker wrote:I signed up for Adaptibar. I did 200 practice questions and got an overall 55%... it's a "normal" range for my first time or I'm really wrong? Thanks.
Seems like a solid start if it was your first one. Keep it up. The percentage isnt what matters at this point, but using the questions as tools to learn the law.

DarlayBoo

New

Post by DarlayBoo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:00 am

Hi all! I'm taking the UBE in MN in July, previously passed the CA Bar way back in July 2011. While I practiced in CA, I'm not able to waive into MN for a variety of very annoying but unavoidable reasons, so here I am back studying for the bar. Whoohoooo :roll:

I did BarMax back in 2011, loved it, thought it was by far the most sane, reasonable, effective program out there. They focus on really nailing the 20% of the material that is 80% of the test, because you neither need nor want to know every possible detail the way BarBri tries to scare you into cramming. Biggest benefit of BarMax though is the giant bank of actual MBE questions. Invaluable, accept no substitutes to real past MBE questions. Anyway, since BarMax gives you lifetime access to the materials, I'll be studying for the UBE this time using my revived CA course access: perfect for the MBE, MPT is fine, and just going to have to round out my MEE study with some additional outlines and the practice questions from the MN website. Little bit of a janky solution, but free and should work well enough. + Honestly, if you nail down the MBEs, the MPT, and the MBE material on the MEE, you really don't have to worry much at all about the rest of it.

I'm not starting studying until next week - my first time I studied about 8 hours a day for 35 days (usually 5 days a week) and that felt really like the right amount. Planning to do a similar schedule this time, minus a little since I'm even less anxious about it all this time, since I have the benefit of knowing I can do this thing. (And if you can do California, you can do any bar.) Might not be enough time for everyone, but I'm lucky to memorize things easily and I'm also good at just sitting down and focusing so my 8 hours = at least 7.5 hours of real studying.

Anyway, I probably won't be on here much, but wanted to just drop back into TLS land (so many years ago I loved these forums), say hi, and assure you all, you can do this thing. Just don't freak out, which is greatly aided by self-studying, since it means a lot less contact with other people who are freaking out. Lone wolf for the win.

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:52 am

DarlayBoo wrote:Hi all!...

Anyway, I probably won't be on here much, but wanted to just drop back into TLS land (so many years ago I loved these forums), say hi, and assure you all, you can do this thing. Just don't freak out, which is greatly aided by self-studying, since it means a lot less contact with other people who are freaking out. Lone wolf for the win.
Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see you pop back in here and there!

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Apparently, Adaptibar's Civ Pro questions are wanting. Any good alternative sources?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”