July 2016 (UBE) Self Study Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nachosrgood

Bronze

July 2016 (UBE) Self Study Thread

Post by nachosrgood » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:02 pm

If you plan on self-studying for a UBE or MBE state, join in!

We can share plans, resources, ideas, mnemonic phrases, and to have a place for support. I don't expect to be studying until mid/late May, but I am getting together my materials now. Figured it was worth sharing the plans and resources now to see if we should be getting anything else together.

I plan on focusing heavily on the MBE subjects. I imagine I will use beef up the baroutlines.com study schedule by reading through the Kaplan/Barbri outline book as it aligns with that schedule baroutlines schedule, reviewing/memorizing with flash cards, supplementing with significant MBE multichoice questions daily, outlining essays fairly regularly, and writing a 5-7 MPTs. Here are the materials I think I will use. What are your plans?

Baroutlines.com ($50 minimalsit bar prep program with videos, outlines, MBE questions, & minimal MEE and MPT material)
Barbri Mini-Reviser)(~200)/Kaplan Subject Outline Book (got the2015 Kaplan Book ~$30)
Adaptibar/Kaplan Q-Bank/Bar Max MBE Question Bank ($200-400)
Critical Flash Flashcards ($130 new, ~$80 used)
Other resources: MN sample essay questions, NCBEX MEE and MPT questions and answers, Lean Sheets as MEE outlines

Edit: updated resources since my OP. Haven't received any responses from baroutlines.com, so I don't think they are still updating material. A friend is giving me there 2015 Barbri so I am using that.

Edit 2:
Additional resources:
My master excel document which was HUGE for me (and could be for you). It was my big picture study schedule, my daily study schedule, a format to input data so you know how you are doing on various MBE multiple choice question types, and some other stuff. PM me with your email and I'll send it to you when I check my account (also if you know how to post it online easily via an anonymous, non drop-box/google drive method, then let me know)

Free MBE videos on the "important stuff" (used for another way to access/hear/learn the material, not as my primary source) : http://passthebar.com/
Note, my first source of learning was reading my friend's Barbri' 1 year old lecture notes and immediately after that just practiced memorizing the critical pass (which really are the lecture notes).-
- https://www.ble.state.mn.us/resource-ce ... swers.aspx
http://mbetutorial.blogspot.com
http://www.openlawlab.com/2013/07/15/re ... xperience/
Last edited by nachosrgood on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 8 times in total.

bluewin888

New

Re: July 2016 (UBE) Self Study Thread

Post by bluewin888 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:16 pm

How many hours will you study daily and weekly? Have you started?

I am starting with Con law.

bluewin888

New

Post by bluewin888 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:17 pm

baroutlines does not have NEW NY stuff yet..

baroutlines is worthy to buy?

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:34 am

Sorry for delay response, back from vacation now. Welcome! Glad to have someone else going through this.
bluewin888 wrote:How many hours will you study daily and weekly? Have you started?

I am starting with Con law.
I haven't started. Probably won't start until late May. I figure I will study 5-6 days a week till 4th of July on a 8am-5/6pm schedule and then push it hard for the last few weeks.

How about you, have you started?

bluewin888 wrote:baroutlines does not have NEW NY stuff yet..

Haven't purchased baroutlines yet, but I imagine it is worth the $50 to find out if it is good. Sealocust used it and recommended it on one of his threads on here, so that definitely means something.

I sent them an email today asking about where they get there MBE/MEE questions from, and when and if they will update material for 2016 (though in honesty there is very little substantive change in one year that we need to worry about in bar studying)
I am trying to pass into the NY bar, but another UBE state. If you are in NY, you need UBE material, so I just choose another baroutlines.com state that UBE in 2015.

I'll post back with whatever I hear back from baroutlines.com

Metal_Inquisition

New

Post by Metal_Inquisition » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:45 pm

Hey all! Will be taking the WA bar exam this July 2016. I got a friend to give me her Kaplan books and will be studying from them. Are you guys going to be making your own schedules or using an old study schedule from ones of the bar study courses? I don't know how to begin so I've been lagging!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:47 pm

Metal_Inquisition wrote:Hey all! Will be taking the WA bar exam this July 2016. I got a friend to give me her Kaplan books and will be studying from them. Are you guys going to be making your own schedules or using an old study schedule from ones of the bar study courses? I don't know how to begin so I've been lagging!
Welcome onboard!

I hear ya! No lagging on your part, this is the perfect place to bounce around ideas, plans, etc., before we have to dive into the actual studying come late May. Getting the resources was pretty easy, I too just have to select/create a study schedule. I imagine I will do some combo of the schedule provided by baroutlines.com and a Kaplan/Barbri that I get from a friend. I want to spend as much of my time doing practice questions and reviewing flashcards as I can, and less reading the outlines. I learn best by doing trial and error when trying to recall the law (flashcards)/apply facts (MBE questions).

Metal_Inquisition

New

Post by Metal_Inquisition » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:01 pm

nachosrgood wrote:
Metal_Inquisition wrote:Hey all! Will be taking the WA bar exam this July 2016. I got a friend to give me her Kaplan books and will be studying from them. Are you guys going to be making your own schedules or using an old study schedule from ones of the bar study courses? I don't know how to begin so I've been lagging!
Welcome onboard!

I hear ya! No lagging on your part, this is the perfect place to bounce around ideas, plans, etc., before we have to dive into the actual studying come late May. Getting the resources was pretty easy, I too just have to select/create a study schedule. I imagine I will do some combo of the schedule provided by baroutlines.com and a Kaplan/Barbri that I get from a friend. I want to spend as much of my time doing practice questions and reviewing flashcards as I can, and less reading the outlines. I learn best by doing trial and error when trying to recall the law (flashcards)/apply facts (MBE questions).

Thanks for the welcome. Anyone have any resources on where we can find sample UBE schedules or something similar? I don't think I can make myself a realistic schedule. Just kidding, I mean I guess I could.....just lazy :( :(

doubltall

New

Post by doubltall » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:38 pm

Metal_Inquisition wrote:
nachosrgood wrote:
Welcome onboard!

Thanks for the welcome. Anyone have any resources on where we can find sample UBE schedules or something similar? I don't think I can make myself a realistic schedule. Just kidding, I mean I guess I could.....just lazy :( :(
I found out today I passed the Wa Bar :D if you need materials, I have a bunch of resources that you may find useful: Critical Pass flashcards, Barbri CMR, both of those in particular are awesome. If you're in Seattle, could figure out a way to sell em to ya for a reasonable price.

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:03 pm

doubltall wrote:
Metal_Inquisition wrote:
nachosrgood wrote:
Welcome onboard!

I found out today I passed the Wa Bar :D if you need materials, I have a bunch of resources that you may find useful: Critical Pass flashcards, Barbri CMR, both of those in particular are awesome. If you're in Seattle, could figure out a way to sell em to ya for a reasonable price.
Not sure if you self-studied, but would appreciate any tips on that if you did. How did you use the critical pass?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:06 pm

bluewin888 wrote:baroutlines does not have NEW NY stuff yet..

I haven't heard from back from baroutlines.com. Leaning to not purchasing the only unique stuff I wanted from them was MEE and MPT materials, and a study schedule. I can get MEE and MPT by subscribing to scribd and getting outlines. I'll make my own shedule based on babri's big picture and blogged recommendation for the daily schedule.

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:11 pm

Metal_Inquisition wrote:
nachosrgood wrote:
Welcome onboard!

As far as creating a schedule goes. I will probably use Barbri's big picture schedule (they post it online or get it from a friend).
As far as my daily schedule, I'll modify this so it is more MBE MC questions, use of critical pass for review and less time doing essays (and plan on doing 5 days a week through June): http://www.beagoat.com/study-schedule/b ... f-studiers

A couple other blogs on scheduling you might check out:
http://www.openlawlab.com/2013/07/15/re ... xperience/

doubltall

New

Post by doubltall » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:27 pm

nachosrgood wrote:
doubltall wrote:
Metal_Inquisition wrote:
nachosrgood wrote:
Welcome onboard!

Not sure if you self-studied, but would appreciate any tips on that if you did. How did you use the critical pass?
Yep, I self studied completely using some of the materials I described. In fact, I felt so confident leaving the exam this Feb that I felt I could even tutor certain parts of the exam materials or advise on exam prep :D

If you or anyone are familiar with the site, I actually made a new subreddit dedicated to the UBE specifically. feel free to start a discussion on there, I have a feeling that community could grow quickly once people become aware of it. I'd be open to chatting there--I rarely check this but I'm on reddit a ton. http://www.reddit.com/r/ubebarexam

seasidemama

New

Post by seasidemama » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:29 am

thinking about taking the bar exam in NY this July - 1st time the NY exam will be UBE.

A little background - I graduated in 2006 and never took the exam. SAHM now looking to get back in the workforce and want to tick this off my list even if I don't know if I necessarily want to practice law per se.

I don't want to spend the $$ on prep courses, but wonder how realistic it is to study on my own.

I do have all my old (2006) barbri books from when I thought I would take the exam - is the conviser multi state still relevant or should I get a newer version?

Just began thinking about this a few days ago and still getting my information on all the changes.

I found this site: http://passthebar.com/free-bar-review/
has excellent resources, lecture videos and questions/answers, but not sure how current the material is.

other than that, I was considering purchasing question sets or lectures from adaptibar.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:36 pm

seasidemama wrote:thinking about taking the bar exam in NY this July - 1st time the NY exam will be UBE.

A little background - I graduated in 2006 and never took the exam. SAHM now looking to get back in the workforce and want to tick this off my list even if I don't know if I necessarily want to practice law per se.

I don't want to spend the $$ on prep courses, but wonder how realistic it is to study on my own.

I do have all my old (2006) barbri books from when I thought I would take the exam - is the conviser multi state still relevant or should I get a newer version?

Just began thinking about this a few days ago and still getting my information on all the changes.

has excellent resources, lecture videos and questions/answers, but not sure how current the material is.

other than that, I was considering purchasing question sets or lectures from adaptibar.

Welcome!
Not an expert here, haven't taken any bar yet, just my 2cents.
I would spend some out of pocket money to get a new mini-conviser review from Barbri, maybe update your MBE questions (or pay for BarMax or Adaptibar MBE question bank).

I think you have to decide self study vs class on whether you are able to learn self-studying, are disciplined, and if you feel like you still have a grasp of the law (the last one might be the biggest question mark for you).

Might be worth considering what is the worst case scenario if you don't pass the first go around? As a SAHM, you can always try again next test and get a course if you need to. I wouldn't spend the money, especially since you might not even go into law.

Thanks for the passthebar.com site. I might use it for an occasional video (most the law hasn't changed too much) but I wouldn't rely on that, personally I am going to review paper outlines to refresh/learn content, then later on memorize it via flashcards and MBE practice questions.

Edit: passthebar.com seems as useful as anything I would expect from baroutlines.com, but it is free. Combine that with the fact that baroutlines.com never responded to my email, I am definitely not paying $50 baroutlines.com

Edit 2: On closer inspection, while the youtube video on passthebar.com are from 2012-2013, I imagine the content is from the 2008-2012 era because the essay example he uses is a California bar essay from 2007. Also, the essay and performance test are California specific, so I am going to stay away from that because those are quite different than the MEE and MPT in UBE states. That time period doesn't seem too old (though on the older side) for the MBE, but it is probably a good idea to cross-reference with newer outline book. Nevertheless, the micro review seems an appropriate narrow review for MBE subjects if you like watching video instead of reading. I might watch the ~3 hours of video/topic on one day for a narrow (~2 hours on 1.5 youtube playback), general understanding, then read my Kaplan/Barbri outline on the same subject for on the second morning, then move on to a new MBE subject on day 3.
Last edited by nachosrgood on Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

eaternation

New

Post by eaternation » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:42 pm

Checking in.

Anyone else taking colorado? Feel free to PM if so.

Using themis.

seasidemama

New

Post by seasidemama » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:14 am

nachosrgood wrote:
seasidemama wrote:thinking about taking the bar exam in NY this July - 1st time the NY exam will be UBE.

Welcome!
Not an expert here, haven't taken any bar yet, just my 2cents.
I would spend some out of pocket money to get a new mini-conviser review from Barbri, maybe update your MBE questions (or pay for BarMax or Adaptibar MBE question bank).

I think you have to decide self study vs class on whether you are able to learn self-studying, are disciplined, and if you feel like you still have a grasp of the law (the last one might be the biggest question mark for you).

Might be worth considering what is the worst case scenario if you don't pass the first go around? As a SAHM, you can always try again next test and get a course if you need to. I wouldn't spend the money, especially since you might not even go into law.

Thanks for the passthebar.com site. I might use it for an occasional video (most the law hasn't changed too much) but I wouldn't rely on that, personally I am going to review paper outlines to refresh/learn content, then later on memorize it via flashcards and MBE practice questions.

Edit: passthebar.com seems as useful as anything I would expect from baroutlines.com, but it is free. Combine that with the fact that baroutlines.com never responded to my email, I am definitely not paying $50 baroutlines.com

Edit 2: On closer inspection, while the youtube video on passthebar.com are from 2012-2013, I imagine the content is from the 2008-2012 era because the essay example he uses is a California bar essay from 2007. Also, the essay and performance test are California specific, so I am going to stay away from that because those are quite different than the MEE and MPT in UBE states. That time period doesn't seem too old (though on the older side) for the MBE, but it is probably a good idea to cross-reference with newer outline book. Nevertheless, the micro review seems an appropriate narrow review for MBE subjects if you like watching video instead of reading. I might watch the ~3 hours of video/topic on one day for a narrow (~2 hours on 1.5 youtube playback), general understanding, then read my Kaplan/Barbri outline on the same subject for on the second morning, then move on to a new MBE subject on day 3.

Thanks so much for all the info! I might try your advice on one of the topics this week and go through some questions to see how well I do before I decide to register.

I feel that I need some lectures to get me back in the game so to speak, although I do my best studying with reading/outlining for recollection purposes. Whether I still have a grasp of the law is a good question. I watched some of the torts lecture yesterday and reviewed a bit of my old CMR and I actually feel like it's riding a bike.. I guess you never really forget the analysis part of it and the main points of law. My main fear is that I won't be able to memorize all the points required for the essays. I think that if I take the next three months to study, I will do fine on the multiple choice but my main fear is the essays..

Any resources available on interactive tests or Q&A's?

Thanks again!

EDIT - looking more into details of July NY exam - need 266 of 400 to pass, 50% MBE, 30% MEE, 20% MPT. Theoretically, if I can do really well on the MBE and get some points on the essays I should be able to pass.. Not worried too much about MPT can probably get points just for format and issue spotting & headings (correct me if I'm wrong..) worked a few years as a litigation intern and the stuff should be easy for me.

DeseoQueSea

New

Post by DeseoQueSea » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:12 pm

If anyone is self-studying for the CA bar, which books are you using? Has anyone used or heard of 2016 California Bar Exam Total Preparation Book by California Bar Tutors? Is it legit?

What other materials are you guys using to self-study for the MBE and CA bar parts?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:18 pm

For people self-studying I often recommend the Barbri Conviser Mini Review. This is just for learning the law (as it has no practice questions). I've seen a ton of books and among them all this one does an excellent job of not skimping on the details you need while also not providing information that goes beyond what you'll need for the test.

Sean

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:35 pm

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:For people self-studying I often recommend the Barbri Conviser Mini Review. This is just for learning the law (as it has no practice questions). I've seen a ton of books and among them all this one does an excellent job of not skimping on the details you need while also not providing information that goes beyond what you'll need for the test.

Sean
Ok, thanks for the suggestion. I purchased the 2015 Kaplan for ~$30, but sounds like it is worth the ~$200 for the 2015 Barbri CMR?

I took a look at your site, looks like it has lots of cool tidbits!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:51 pm

It would be nice if the book wasn't so expensive, but, yes, in my opinion it's worth the price.

Thanks, hope you find the blog helpful!

seasidemama

New

Post by seasidemama » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:34 pm

How are you approaching self study w/civ pro? (changes as of July exam)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:42 pm

seasidemama wrote:How are you approaching self study w/civ pro? (changes as of July exam)
TBH not sure exactly what the changes are. You know if it is anymore than this: http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/summar ... -to-16008/
I'll probably check in with a friend taking Barbri if they were told anything in particular about it. In the end I'll probably update my outlines with the summary from the above link.

You have any thoughts?

seasidemama

New

Post by seasidemama » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:02 pm

nachosrgood wrote:
seasidemama wrote:How are you approaching self study w/civ pro? (changes as of July exam)
TBH not sure exactly what the changes are. You know if it is anymore than this: http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/summar ... -to-16008/
I'll probably check in with a friend taking Barbri if they were told anything in particular about it. In the end I'll probably update my outlines with the summary from the above link.

You have any thoughts?
I think that's the outline of the changes. Found a nice blog to take a look at: http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com. One of the posts has a more comprehensive link to the changes : http://www.jonesday.com/significant-cha ... 9-25-2015/

but the link you posted is there too,

I'm thinking where to get decent practice questions on this since it's so new.
Last edited by seasidemama on Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam0406

New

Post by Sam0406 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:29 pm

seasidemama wrote:
nachosrgood wrote:

You have any thoughts?
I think that's the outline of the changes. Found a nice blog to take a look at: http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com. One of the posts has a more comprehensive link to the changes : http://www.jonesday.com/significant-cha ... 9-25-2015/

but the link you posted is there too,

I'm thinking where to get descent practice questions on this since it's so new.
Now I'm worried even more about the July bar. I wasn't even aware of the changes....

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:51 am

Sam0406 wrote:

Now I'm worried even more about the July bar. I wasn't even aware of the changes....
No need to be worried. You got everything you need right here! That's why we share.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”