is anyone else finding this with sample answers? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rcharter1978

Gold

is anyone else finding this with sample answers?

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:00 am

I'm going over a few sample answers and I feel like a few of them may misstate the law, or have conflicts about the law in essay.

Am I absolutely misreading, or is anyone else finding that this may be the case? I hate the idea of putting something into my head and later finding out its actually a potential misstatement of law. Because then it takes forever to get it out of my head.

healthnut

New

Re: is anyone else finding this with sample answers?

Post by healthnut » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:11 am

rcharter1978 wrote:I'm going over a few sample answers and I feel like a few of them may misstate the law, or have conflicts about the law in essay.

Am I absolutely misreading, or is anyone else finding that this may be the case? I hate the idea of putting something into my head and later finding out its actually a potential misstatement of law. Because then it takes forever to get it out of my head.
If you're talking about sample essays provided by the state: Remember, sample essay does not mean perfect essay. They're real-life folks taking the exam just as you do every practice essay and that leads to mistakes, conflicts, and a whole lot of BS. The most important aspect of evaluating sample essays (besides the basic black letter law TOPICS--not necessarily their content) is the format. You'll probably notice most samples are laid out rather strategically and in an organized fashion.

If you're talking about sample essays provided by the prep program: This is why it's important to always compare multiple sample essays and get advice in multiple ways. When I studied for the CBX, I had a subscription to baressays.com and compared every Themis essay to sample essays on that site. Additionally, I submitted multiple extra essays for grading to Themis so I covered multiple aspects and grader theories. Finally, do the research yourself--trust yourself. If it seems off, research it, get some advice from a friend, or contact someone at the prep company. There are many resources--you just have to seek them out! :) GL!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:15 am

healthnut wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:I'm going over a few sample answers and I feel like a few of them may misstate the law, or have conflicts about the law in essay.

If you're talking about sample essays provided by the state: Remember, sample essay does not mean perfect essay. They're real-life folks taking the exam just as you do every practice essay and that leads to mistakes, conflicts, and a whole lot of BS. The most important aspect of evaluating sample essays (besides the basic black letter law TOPICS--not necessarily their content) is the format. You'll probably notice most samples are laid out rather strategically and in an organized fashion.

If you're talking about sample essays provided by the prep program: This is why it's important to always compare multiple sample essays and get advice in multiple ways. When I studied for the CBX, I had a subscription to baressays.com and compared every Themis essay to sample essays on that site. Additionally, I submitted multiple extra essays for grading to Themis so I covered multiple aspects and grader theories. Finally, do the research yourself--trust yourself. If it seems off, research it, get some advice from a friend, or contact someone at the prep company. There are many resources--you just have to seek them out! :) GL!
Bless your sweet soul for clearing this up. I was going bananas over here. I see your point about organization too, my essays are long and unwieldy. I do like the simplicity of the rule statements since mine are always long and convoluted with colons everywhere. I love a good colon, but I gotta stop (and yes, pun intended!)

healthnut

New

Post by healthnut » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:21 am

rcharter1978 wrote: Bless your sweet soul for clearing this up. I was going bananas over here. I see your point about organization too, my essays are long and unwieldy. I do like the simplicity of the rule statements since mine are always long and convoluted with colons everywhere. I love a good colon, but I gotta stop (and yes, pun intended!)
Anytime! And, if anything, those samples should give you a little confidence that you can screw up that bad/BS that much and still be considered as a passing sample! ;)

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:41 am

healthnut wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote: Bless your sweet soul for clearing this up. I was going bananas over here. I see your point about organization too, my essays are long and unwieldy. I do like the simplicity of the rule statements since mine are always long and convoluted with colons everywhere. I love a good colon, but I gotta stop (and yes, pun intended!)
Anytime! And, if anything, those samples should give you a little confidence that you can screw up that bad/BS that much and still be considered as a passing sample! ;)
It should :) It doesn't :(

At least I know, because it was making me question myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”