Type or Handwrite for Essay Portion of Bar? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
aimo5656

New

Type or Handwrite for Essay Portion of Bar?

Post by aimo5656 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:40 pm

I'm not fast when it comes to typing, but that is not to say that I type slow. I type at an average speed but I am faster when it comes to handwriting.
I would like to know from those who have handwritten the bar exam and those that have typed: is there an advantage in doing one over the other on the bar exam? Is the writing portion scored higher for those who have typed their essays and MPT vs those that have handwritten?

starryski

Bronze

Re: Type or Handwrite for Essay Portion of Bar?

Post by starryski » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:07 pm

aimo5656 wrote:I'm not fast when it comes to typing, but that is not to say that I type slow. I type at an average speed but I am faster when it comes to handwriting.
I would like to know from those who have handwritten the bar exam and those that have typed: is there an advantage in doing one over the other on the bar exam? Is the writing portion scored higher for those who have typed their essays and MPT vs those that have handwritten?
i dont know about scoring, but i like having the option of copy and paste, deleted etc, handwriting is just not an option for me. download some typing programs and practice? it takes no time at all to learn how to type fast in my opinion,.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:31 pm

I typed and in doing so I definitely jumped around in my answer. I would outline my answer and then fill in around it. Also as I was typing part of my answer, if I thought of something else I would jump down and put it in its place. Also I could easily change my conclusion (which was my first sentence) if I changed my mind mid-answer.

That said, I handwrote my practice answers when I was preparing for the bar, but then it didn't matter if they were all over the place or I had an entire paragraph that was out of place with an arrow pointing to where it should go in my argument.

If you're seriously considering handwriting, pick a subject you know well and get two sample (as in old pre-tested) questions from that subject. Then take them under timed conditions with one handwritten and one typed to see if you're any more crunched when typing than handwriting.

FWIW, I would estimate, based on my test location, that about 10% of Texas examinees handwrite.

Oh, and keep in mind that if you type it will cost about $150 more between the software and the law examiners laptop fee.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:06 pm

I can't think of any reason to handwrite if you don't have to. And while I can't prove this for the bar exam, I think there's a psychological difference between grading something that's printed out and looks clean and organized, versus grading something handwritten. There's also no risk with typing that your grader can't read your handwriting, either.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:30 pm

I handwrote my bar essays and passed. If your computer is reliable (mine wasn't) and all of your other tests were taken on the computer, then I would not change anything for the Bar Exam. The additional cost to type at this point is a moot point.

Although I was able to finish all of the essays, with a few minutes to spare here is what I found:
1) I didnt have time to correct or re-answer a question. IF in the middle I didnt like where I was going with the question, or realized the response would be better used in another place (realized it could have been a different issue, or forgot a part of the rule), I didnt want to waste time and cross it all out and go back. Obviously I didn't have the ability to copy paste either.

2 It was easier to make the rules, elements, and emphasis better. (just write bigger and underline). But this could also be done with a click of a mouse.

3) but there is no way you can outline your responses before starting to type. So, if you are an outliner before you write type of test taker you will have to compensate accordingly. Although it is easier to outline a quick response should you run out of time

4) the realization that you don't have to worry about uploading issues, or lugging a computer around was great. Once I was done with a session, it was turned in and there was nothing else I could or needed to do.

5) The hand cramp struggle is real. And lasts the next day. But you still should be able to carry a celebratory beverage in your hand after the end of the bar exam

6) Before the bar, I handwrote and typed out the essays. ( Would recommend doing this even if you do decide to type- that way you know that you can do this and what you need to do in the event of a computer malfunction). Realized that my handwriting was legible and it didnt take too much longer than I thought.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:30 am

I loved typing the essay portion of the Texas bar exam. I had the ability to quickly cut and paste to re-organize my response and no hand cramp during the all-day test. Why risk losing points through "messy" handwriting on the bar exam?

Nevergiveup15

New

Post by Nevergiveup15 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:40 am

I'm also in two minds whether to handwrite or type. I handwrote the July 15 NY exam and thinking to switch and type the essays for the Feb 16 retake. I can see the appeal to type instead - esp when it comes to structuring your answer and inserting additional comments. Would be interested to hear from others who have done both...

crimsontide

New

Post by crimsontide » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:35 am

I failed while typing, but this time around I handwrote--and passed. Funny thing is, my MBE was in the (very low) 120s range so my essays must have gotten me through. Underlining and making things readable is key, and its important to be succinct instead of rambling (my main mistake the first go-around). I typed essays while studying (to avoid over-exerting my hands) then handwrote on the actual thing.

epsteinson

New

Post by epsteinson » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:28 pm

I handwrote (because I had to not because I wanted to) and passed. One thing that helped me out was that I wrote out a lot of the legal rules by hand to help memorize certain concepts that were frequently tested. Unfortunately, none of those concepts were actually on the essays. If you can get into the habit of outlining quickly, writing out important rules very quickly, and having concise yet thorough analysis, then you'll be alright.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYCrookie

New

Post by NYCrookie » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:08 pm

This is an old link but I wanted to weigh in, since I read this before taking the Bar exam and I've just received my PASS email.

I chose handwriting because I had never typed in an exam before (I didn't go to university in the US, I practiced overseas and moved here recently). I was worried about tech problems, and wasn't sure about whether I would be able to think about an exam in the right way typing when I was so used to handwriting. I didn't realize just HOW common it is to take tests on laptops in the US, and how heavily skewed the % of people using a laptop to take the test is. I got really panicked in the weeks leading up to the exam about whether I'd disadvantaged myself by electing to handwrite.

I ultimately passed very comfortably, and in fact my MPT/MEE mark was higher than my MBE portion. That said, if I were taking the test again, I would probably elect to type. Why? Mostly because of the MPT - in which I think it is an advantage to be able to re-organize things. I don't actually think it's an advantage in the MEE section, in which you either know the relevant law or you don't, and if you're handwriting you just start writing and the answer develops - whereas on a laptop you might sit there trying to formulate a response or WORSE delete things and keep re-starting if you're not clear on what the answer is.

Moral of the story? If you are reading this before laptop enrollment is over, I probably recommend enrolling in the laptop program. If, like I was, you are reading this when the time has passed - you are NOT at a disadvantage, it is absolutely possible to do better than your laptop-using test room colleagues. I do however think it helped me really memorize the law fully though, writing things out over and over again. It just meant that Day 1 was a physical test as well as a mental one, because I had to keep blood flowing to my hand and get rid of cramps!

Hope this helps :)

(PS - my handwriting is not excellent, especially in exams!!)

ernestgoodman

New

Post by ernestgoodman » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:19 am

I took California bar exam 4 times. Each time I handwrote essays and PT. J18 - I missed by very narrow margin of 7 points. Last time, for F19 I decided to type. I am experienced typist, however I practiced touch typing over 3 month putting 2-3 hours daily. One month before bar exam I was able to type 5-6 hours in raw with dissent speed 60-80 wpm. Over 3 month period I typed about 30 essays and 5 PTs total. My typing speed significantly increased. I checked my speed - it was about 80 wpm.
I noticed that each year there are less people who hanwrite the test. I guess 10% or so handwrite the bar. Those are primarily older generations who are not tech friendly or foreigners.
Please don't get me wrong. Some of them are very smart. But, they chose wrong way to handle such a difficult test as a bar exam.
I noticed that I was never able to handwrite more than 600 words per essay. I googled and found out that maximum handwriting speed is 17 wpm and cannot be increased at all no matter how long you practice. I accurately counted how many words I wrote in each essays (Bar examiners mail to you your written essays and PT).
Some essays were about 500 words. Moreover it took a lot of energy and effort to write those 500 words. My hand cramps up, back hurts.
Exemplify, a new software used for bar exam, allows you to count characters and words. Surprisingly, in February 19 I was able to type 1600 word essay over 1 hour time period. My smallest essay was about 1000 words. Some essays were 1200 and 1350 words long. After 6.5 hours typing I was not tired at all. I discovered that typing is significantly faster and less painful.
As you can see when you type you can input 2 or even 3 times bigger amount of words. I was about to put 1000 more words to one of my essays. Obviously you are able to put more issues, applications and conclusions. My essays were so lengthy and impressive.
Graders do not realize that it is extremely hard to handwrite essays. Nowadays all lawyers type. All graders are lawyers. They dont know or don't care that handwriting is a real torture. (I would give extra points to all handwriters). Only one thing they definitely can notice that your essays are small. This is an obstacle for handwriters.
Bar exam is not fair for those who handwrite essays.
Another thing is that typing allows to copy and paste. This is huge advantage especially when you have several similar questions with different parties in one set of facts. Issues could be similar.
For example multiple parties suffered injuries because of negligence. You type negligence elements for one plaintiff, applications and conclusions. All you need to do, for another party, is copy, paste and change name of plaintiff. You can quickly double your essay by copying, pasting and editing.
If you fast in typing you can type really big essays. Even though you dont know rule, you still can intelligently obfuscate lack of knowledge. Just type something intelligent and you will be okay.
My advice based on my experience is simple: if you want to pass California bar exam practice touch typing and take laptop examination.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:41 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I can't think of any reason to handwrite if you don't have to. And while I can't prove this for the bar exam, I think there's a psychological difference between grading something that's printed out and looks clean and organized, versus grading something handwritten. There's also no risk with typing that your grader can't read your handwriting, either.
Using simple logic, handwriting your essays confers such a terrible disadvantage that there must be some sort of grading rubric to make up for the disparity. I'm not saying they give you auto-points, but they can't possibly expect you to perform on a level playing field with a typist. I think the two formats are comparing apples and oranges. I wouldn't be surprised if there were two entirely different grading sheets, one for typists and one for hand writers.

Has anyone some light to shine on this speculation?

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:09 pm

Smiddywesson wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I can't think of any reason to handwrite if you don't have to. And while I can't prove this for the bar exam, I think there's a psychological difference between grading something that's printed out and looks clean and organized, versus grading something handwritten. There's also no risk with typing that your grader can't read your handwriting, either.
Using simple logic, handwriting your essays confers such a terrible disadvantage that there must be some sort of grading rubric to make up for the disparity. I'm not saying they give you auto-points, but they can't possibly expect you to perform on a level playing field with a typist. I think the two formats are comparing apples and oranges. I wouldn't be surprised if there were two entirely different grading sheets, one for typists and one for hand writers.

Has anyone some light to shine on this speculation?
My understanding is there are separate graders for handwriters and typist. Someone who grades a typed essay does not grade a handwritten ones and vice versa. Whether or not there is a separate rubric...don't know.

I handwrote the July NY UBE and scored a 155 on the MEE/MPT...for what it is worth.

...but I wouldn't do so again. The ability to cut and paste and move on but "save" your spot if you get stuck is valuable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”