What annoyed you during your state's administration of the Bar Exam? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
NYKfanAIesq

New

What annoyed you during your state's administration of the Bar Exam?

Post by NYKfanAIesq » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:28 pm

Morning and Afternoon Session of MBE: a lady coughed uncontrollably.

LAW813FL

Bronze

Re: What annoyed you during your state's administration of the Bar Exam?

Post by LAW813FL » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:31 pm

NYKfanAIesq wrote:Morning and Afternoon Session of MBE: a lady coughed uncontrollably.
The only thing that annoyed me was that I had to take a stupid test with lots of hard questions.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:44 pm

NYKfanAIesq wrote:Morning and Afternoon Session of MBE: a lady coughed uncontrollably.
Since I nitpick the shit out of life, here goes:

1) A classmate of mine said her neighbor's breath smelled like something died (and they were feet apart and she apparently smelled it all day on Day 1 &

2) The Sac Convention Center was freezing on Day's 1 and 2, but then they turned off all air and circulation on AM session for Day 3 (which was uncomfortable). Turned it back on to freezing PM session. There was apparently not middle ground for circulation and temp.

3) I sat below a vent that blew directly at me, which blew papers constantly during the PT's. I had to weight stuff down and had some papers hit my neighbor (and I'm sure she was equally annoyed by this shit).

4) The woman giving the instructions drove me crazy. I'm sure part of it has to do with her being required to spell everything out so no one can bitch about not hearing her or not hearing her correctly, but she was still annoying.

5) A guy sitting in front of me wore the same pink shorts every day. Not annoying, but, ya...Pink shorts. Same pair. Three fucking days in a row.

6) No water at tables. Why the fuck is this still a rule.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:02 pm

Freezing cold. As in, unbelievably cold. I couldn't stop shivering and during every break my teeth chattered like crazy. Our instructions specifically said the space would be warm so to dress appropriately. The proctors showed up with scarves, winter jackets, and blankets.

Oh, and my state provided pencils for the MBE but they were used/dull, which was annoying. During the PM section my proctor got a hold of some nice sharp, new pencils and gave them to us which greatly upset some other people.

And we had a surprisingly hostile debate about whether the handwriting sample had to be in cursive.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:24 pm

Killingly wrote:Freezing cold. As in, unbelievably cold. I couldn't stop shivering and during every break my teeth chattered like crazy. Our instructions specifically said the space would be warm so to dress appropriately. The proctors showed up with scarves, winter jackets, and blankets.

Oh, and my state provided pencils for the MBE but they were used/dull, which was annoying. During the PM section my proctor got a hold of some nice sharp, new pencils and gave them to us which greatly upset some other people.

And we had a surprisingly hostile debate about whether the handwriting sample had to be in cursive.
Oh, dull pencils are the worst! We can't use mechanical pencils, or bring sharpeners in, so I literally had 20 super sharp pencils and I went through at least 10 of them because the second a pencil gets dull I want to swap out.

Our room was freezing too, which was odd because it was like 500 degree outside.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:29 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
Killingly wrote:Freezing cold. As in, unbelievably cold. I couldn't stop shivering and during every break my teeth chattered like crazy. Our instructions specifically said the space would be warm so to dress appropriately. The proctors showed up with scarves, winter jackets, and blankets.

Oh, dull pencils are the worst! We can't use mechanical pencils, or bring sharpeners in, so I literally had 20 super sharp pencils and I went through at least 10 of them because the second a pencil gets dull I want to swap out.

Our room was freezing too, which was odd because it was like 500 degree outside.
They FORBADE us from bringing our own, which was why it so disappointing to see pencils that were probably used for the years past and not resharpened. When my proctor went rogue to get our section better ones people flipped out.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:15 pm

Killingly wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

They FORBADE us from bringing our own, which was why it so disappointing to see pencils that were probably used for the years past and not resharpened. When my proctor went rogue to get our section better ones people flipped out.
Worst! Not only had those pencils probably been used for years, they are probably the cheapest ones they could find without good erasers. I can imagine people flipping out too. I wonder why they won't let you bring your own pencils in? I know in CA we cant use mechanical pencils because I guess they make too much noise or something, but to not even allow you to bring your own regular pencils? I wonder what the thought process was behind that.

annapach

New

Post by annapach » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:50 pm

scooting noise of the chairs

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Last edited by gaagoots on Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:42 pm

1. There were two or three flies just buzzing around all over the place. One fly seemed to have it in for me during the MPT. That thing would not. go. away. But, I don't think it affected my performance (hopefully).

2. Our bar exam site was close to the fire department or something, because we heard fire truck sirens go off close to the room at least three or four times between the two days. That got annoying too.

Overall, it went better than expected.

N.P.H.

New

Post by N.P.H. » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:48 pm

The line for the bathroom. I didn't understand why they didn't have multiple sheets you can check out and in on (as long as you check out and in w/ the same sheet, it should be fine).

Otherwise, proctors were extremely nice and professional. Everyone around me was quiet. Large clock in front was legit.

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:51 pm

I distinctly remember hearing a dog barking or whining for like 3 minutes and then nothing.

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:34 am

Several things annoyed me with the ny javits center test site. For one there were freaking pigeons walking around the test center like ish was sweet lol... Two when you have people finishing a section way before me and leaving lol, like with 45 minutes to an hour early... Last but not least on ny day, in the am, they ended the test 1 minute early... man I was so freaking mad, because I could not bubble in my last two answers on the NYMC... My computer said 12:29 and they called time... I'm still mad lol... Overall, everything went smooth.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:41 am

nyny wrote:Several things annoyed me with the ny javits center test site. For one there were freaking pigeons walking around the test center like ish was sweet lol... Two when you have people finishing a section way before me and leaving lol, like with 45 minutes to an hour early... Last but not least on ny day, in the am, they ended the test 1 minute early... man I was so freaking mad, because I could not bubble in my last two answers on the NYMC... My computer said 12:29 and they called time... I'm still mad lol... Overall, everything went smooth.
Word on the street is that people who leave early are generally from testing companies that want to get an idea of what the questions are. And they have to leave early while its still fresh in their minds. BUT not so early as to arouse suspicion. I'm not sure if that's true, that was just the word on the street. Because I noticed people doing that at my test center too. And I know you should only pay attention to what you're doing and not anyone else, but its easy to freak out a little when people are rolling out an hour early and you've (I've) only finished reading the third essay question.

Did they not give you a 5 minute warning? Boo on that, I thought they had to do that :(

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:47 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
nyny wrote:Several things annoyed me with the ny javits center test site. For one there were freaking pigeons walking around the test center like ish was sweet lol... Two when you have people finishing a section way before me and leaving lol, like with 45 minutes to an hour early... Last but not least on ny day, in the am, they ended the test 1 minute early... man I was so freaking mad, because I could not bubble in my last two answers on the NYMC... My computer said 12:29 and they called time... I'm still mad lol... Overall, everything went smooth.
Word on the street is that people who leave early are generally from testing companies that want to get an idea of what the questions are. And they have to leave early while its still fresh in their minds. BUT not so early as to arouse suspicion. I'm not sure if that's true, that was just the word on the street. Because I noticed people doing that at my test center too. And I know you should only pay attention to what you're doing and not anyone else, but its easy to freak out a little when people are rolling out an hour early and you've (I've) only finished reading the third essay question.

Did they not give you a 5 minute warning? Boo on that, I thought they had to do that :(
Oh really lol, I never heard of that possibility hahaha... Bar companies are going undercover lol.
But

But they did give a warning, but in my testing center there isn't a clock for us all to see like most places to know the exact time. It is what it is

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:56 am

nyny wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

Oh really lol, I never heard of that possibility hahaha... Bar companies are going undercover lol.
But

But they did give a warning, but in my testing center there isn't a clock for us all to see like most places to know the exact time. It is what it is
Yeah - I was shocked when I heard it mentioned. And then a few times. And then it started to kinda make sense, but then it didn't. I'm not sure what to think. There was no clock in my test center, but the guy ended up giving like a countdown at 1 minute and another at 30 seconds. But yeah, it is what it is and it was only two. They were probably the experimental questions anyways!

NYKfanAIesq

New

Post by NYKfanAIesq » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:58 am

There was a short stocky lady who would frequently get up and go to the bathroom, but on the way back she would always strenuously run back to her seat. :x

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:45 am

NYKfanAIesq wrote:There was a short stocky lady who would frequently get up and go to the bathroom, but on the way back she would always strenuously run back to her seat. :x

OMG -- were you in Ontario? I know EXACTLY who you are talking about, you MUST have been in Ontario because I can't imagine there are more than two of them running around taking the bar exam. It was almost like some super fast speed walking.....her steps were small, but her speed was so fast.

petsoundspop

New

Post by petsoundspop » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:27 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
NYKfanAIesq wrote:There was a short stocky lady who would frequently get up and go to the bathroom, but on the way back she would always strenuously run back to her seat. :x

OMG -- were you in Ontario? I know EXACTLY who you are talking about, you MUST have been in Ontario because I can't imagine there are more than two of them running around taking the bar exam. It was almost like some super fast speed walking.....her steps were small, but her speed was so fast.

In California, the guy sitting next to me had some of the nastiest breath I've ever encountered. I seriously thought he was eating shit for breakfast or something. Also, the guy in front of me left at least an hour early every single day, totally and completely calm and collected. It freaked me out a bit, especially on the MBE day.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:35 pm

petsoundspop wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

In California, the guy sitting next to me had some of the nastiest breath I've ever encountered. I seriously thought he was eating shit for breakfast or something. Also, the guy in front of me left at least an hour early every single day, totally and completely calm and collected. It freaked me out a bit, especially on the MBE day.
LOL -- you never know, people had all sorts of secret tricks and methods. I would not put it past someone to eat shit if they thought it would help them pass. Heck, I might have considered it for PT-A or Essay Question 5......j/k....but I would have eaten something from Fear Factor if it would have helped.

Were you at the Ontario center? There were a few people leaving early, one guy in particular. He really made me feel like a loser, than he made me frantic.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:36 pm

The guy two seats down from me kept shaking his foot and hitting the table during the AM session on the third day. I don't know what he took the night before, but he was just ridiculously amped up and he would not stop shaking his foot and jiggling the table. Luckily the proctor was able to separate the tables so he could come down from his high without bothering me.....the guy next to him must have wanted to strangle him because he was in full jiggle mode when I glanced back over.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYKfanAIesq

New

Post by NYKfanAIesq » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:43 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:

HAHA, no I was in Maryland.

ditch digger

Bronze

Post by ditch digger » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:51 pm

The essay portion of my bar exam was broken up into four 90 minutes sections. During the ten minute break between each section, the guy behind me would discuss his answers to the essays we just answered.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:41 pm

I also remember during Day 1 AM session some guy getting on the loud speaker during the exam and saying "Check, 1, 2, 3" for about 30-40 seconds. WTF

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:42 pm

petsoundspop wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

Were you in Sacramento by chance? A buddy of mine reported the EXACT same thing with some dude with shit-for-breath. haha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”