Feb 2016 Bar Exam discussion Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
941law

Bronze

Re: Feb 2016 Bar Exam discussion

Post by 941law » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:26 pm

man, the quote system is awful on this forum.

you can edit it yourself (by deleting) fwiw

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:45 pm

rcharter1978 wrote: An alternate reality where people are supportive and listen? I don't see how expecting one thing and getting another puts me in an alternate reality. It very much puts me in an actual reality where I expect one thing and get another. That is not an alternate reality, in actual reality you often expect one thing and get another. Undertaking to give people false hope is ridiculous and unhelpful. Its superficially helpful, but underneath the surface the only thing you're doing is giving someone a false hope, which will only make the sting of the painful reality worse. But some people can't, or don't think beyond the superficial.

I'm not going to lie to people, because I'm not going to have a hard conversation twice, I'm only going to have it once. I'm not going to put people in a position to excitedly text and call me in November because I've BS'ed them into thinking I've passed. Thats not a fun position for myself or for the other party.

But hey, lying and falsity and BS and false bravado are certainly methods that people in law school have used over the years so perhaps it is what works for them.
1) No, one where the responses you get are alternative from the ones you want. You know how they're going to respond by past experiences, so it shouldn't be that difficult to re-gauge your expectations. Again, I see no sense in complaining about those responses.

2) Again, I just said: No one is telling you to lie.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:49 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
Again, I'm not going to lie to people or BS people. I'm also not going to run away when they ask me a question. You tell them you feel confident, I do not, because I don't, and because I'm not a liar.

But here is a question you might be able to answer for me -- does the TLS forum have a way for me to block certain users? I don't have much time for annoying blowhards.....and if I encounter any in the future it would be good to know how to simply block them. Thanks in advance. :)
Again, I didn't tell you to lie. Let me repeat myself since you seem to have trouble understanding both what I actually said and the underlying intent (which was meant to be helpful when talking to such people): I did not tell you to lie.

And, ya, block me. I have no idea how to do it because I give approximately zero fucks about people with differing opinions speaking to me, etc., but I'm sure through hard work you can figure it out ;)

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:00 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote: An alternate reality where people are supportive and listen? I don't see how expecting one thing and getting another puts me in an alternate reality. It very much puts me in an actual reality where I expect one thing and get another. That is not an alternate reality, in actual reality you often expect one thing and get another. Undertaking to give people false hope is ridiculous and unhelpful. Its superficially helpful, but underneath the surface the only thing you're doing is giving someone a false hope, which will only make the sting of the painful reality worse. But some people can't, or don't think beyond the superficial.

I'm not going to lie to people, because I'm not going to have a hard conversation twice, I'm only going to have it once. I'm not going to put people in a position to excitedly text and call me in November because I've BS'ed them into thinking I've passed. Thats not a fun position for myself or for the other party.

But hey, lying and falsity and BS and false bravado are certainly methods that people in law school have used over the years so perhaps it is what works for them.
1) No, one where the responses you get are alternative from the ones you want. You know how they're going to respond by past experiences, so it shouldn't be that difficult to re-gauge your expectations. Again, I see no sense in complaining about those responses.

1) Thats not an alternate reality, thats just reality. I'm here to vent, and as I've mentioned before I think that is a perfectly valid use of this thread.

2) I think you clearly are suggesting that. But that's not me, unless you just wanted to let the forum know how great your canned response is. Either way, doesn't matter.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:10 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
Again, I'm not going to lie to people or BS people. I'm also not going to run away when they ask me a question. You tell them you feel confident, I do not, because I don't, and because I'm not a liar.

But here is a question you might be able to answer for me -- does the TLS forum have a way for me to block certain users? I don't have much time for annoying blowhards.....and if I encounter any in the future it would be good to know how to simply block them. Thanks in advance. :)
Again, I didn't tell you to lie. Let me repeat myself since you seem to have trouble understanding both what I actually said and the underlying intent (which was meant to be helpful when talking to such people): I did not tell you to lie.

And, ya, block me. I have no idea how to do it because I give approximately zero fucks about people with differing opinions speaking to me, etc., but I'm sure through hard work you can figure it out ;)
Suggesting that I tell people that I'm confident when they are asking about how the exam went is a lie, because I'm not confident. You attempted to hold up your canned response to people as some sort of model of how to respond to people, it's not, because I'm not going to lie and I'm not confident.

You know, its funny, I don't really mind differing opinions, but there is a pretty big divide between "someone with differing opinion" and "annoying blowhard." The former I find interesting, but its not worth any effort to engage with an annoying blowhard so its better for me to simply block them, if that's possible. And there are people who clearly fall into the annoying blowhard category.

However, why you would automatically assume the "annoying blowhard" is you is a mystery. Or, maybe not a mystery. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:05 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:

1) Thats not an alternate reality, thats just reality. I'm here to vent, and as I've mentioned before I think that is a perfectly valid use of this thread.

2) I think you clearly are suggesting that. But that's not me, unless you just wanted to let the forum know how great your canned response is. Either way, doesn't matter.[/quote]

I didn't not say, nor suggest, you couldn't vent. I provided a suggestion to mitigate those sorts of responses. The spirit was meant to be helpful, so either I failed in communicating that appropriately or you took in the wrong way. I guess the latter, but I'm often wrong ;)

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:08 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
Suggesting that I tell people that I'm confident when they are asking about how the exam went is a lie, because I'm not confident. You attempted to hold up your canned response to people as some sort of model of how to respond to people, it's not, because I'm not going to lie and I'm not confident.

You know, its funny, I don't really mind differing opinions, but there is a pretty big divide between "someone with differing opinion" and "annoying blowhard." The former I find interesting, but its not worth any effort to engage with an annoying blowhard so its better for me to simply block them, if that's possible. And there are people who clearly fall into the annoying blowhard category.

However, why you would automatically assume the "annoying blowhard" is you is a mystery. Or, maybe not a mystery. :)
Again, I did not say tell people you're confident. I merely provided my own way of dealing by finding a silver lining in how I feel. You can/should do the same thing, in your own way. It might be confidence, it might be merely a hope, etc.

And, by all means: Continue down the path of the darkside. I find your ad homs rather humorous, as you're the first to call me a blowhard (well, at least numerous times). Like I said in another reply: My point was to provide a sort of remedy that I've found in dealing with responses that have good intentions, but make you feel worse. Everyone in the forum appears to be needlessly freaking out and down about it, where there is no sense in acting as such. Hence my reply.

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:15 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
LAW813FL wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
LAW813FL wrote:
941law wrote:
starryski wrote:i will definitely try to work on more MBEs this time around. I did around 1400, but i feel like i should have done double that.
I'm just not sure this line of thinking is correct. We have people on here saying they did +3,000 and were still blindsided by the exam.
Ya if I have to take this thing again, I'm going to be smarter with mbe prep. Hit more fringe issues instead of just doing a ton of questions. Gotta study smarter not harder
I've heard some people say that they learn the fringe issues better with the MBE questions because the MBE questions are more focused on the exceptions and smaller fringe areas. You don't agree with that, or do you think that you study the fringe issues better by studying them through outlines/essays/flash cards/something else?
I mean that Kaplan had a billion questions about the "big ticket items" that didn't really show up on the exam as much as I was told. So issues that I didn't spend as much time on are where I am going to beef up, instead of just doing a ton of questions.
Interesting, I was thinking about trying to get the Kaplan QBank, but if its not that helpful I may hold back. Did you only do Kaplan? I'm also interested in Adaptibar, so I'm wondering if people thought that helped with the MBE's.
I did Adaptibar, but still felt blindsided by the MBE. Granted, I only did about 900 Adaptibar questions (plus 1500 Barbri questions), but still, I don't think Adaptibar saves the day.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:50 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
I did Adaptibar, but still felt blindsided by the MBE. Granted, I only did about 900 Adaptibar questions (plus 1500 Barbri questions), but still, I don't think Adaptibar saves the day.
Hmmm - interesting, I thought Adaptibar was actually past MBE questions though? Did you feel blindsided in how the questions were written, or the subject matter covered by the questions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:12 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
Hmmm - interesting, I thought Adaptibar was actually past MBE questions though? Did you feel blindsided in how the questions were written, or the subject matter covered by the questions?
They are past MBE questions, but I agree that this past MBE was very different from adaptibar questions. They seemed to be written differently, but of course it may just be from all the test day anxiety and whatnot.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:30 pm

LAW813FL wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
They are past MBE questions, but I agree that this past MBE was very different from adaptibar questions. They seemed to be written differently, but of course it may just be from all the test day anxiety and whatnot.
Hmm, thats interesting -- I wonder if thats by design? Maybe the secret is quantity no matter what the source.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:41 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
I heard from a few people that said they felt like Adaptibar was right on, but maybe they were bsing

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:01 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
I heard from a few people that said they felt like Adaptibar was right on, but maybe they were bsing
I did Adaptibar too, and felt it prepared me for the civ pro questions, even though Adaptibar's civ pro questions were horrible, if that makes sense. What I mean is that Adaptibar really went hard on the small issues in civ pro like, collateral estoppel, res judicata, and motion practice, and there were a ton of Civ pro questions on the small stuff, and not as many on the big topics that we spent weeks on as 1Ls (personal juris, subject matter juris, erie, etc.).

All in all some of the actual MBE questions were poorly written I feel, and if you did not know the law they were testing exactly you would of gotten it wrong. You had to know the law because their were little separation between right and wrong answers on this test.

I think the National Bar Examiners have caught up with the bar prep companies, when it comes to the MBE, because those released former exam questions in Adaptibar (other companies also get the same released questions, they tend to add their own or vary it, whereas Adaptibar gives you the exact released questions) were had clear wrong answers... the bar exam was something different.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:08 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
I used Adaptibar and it helped because in February my weakness was the MBE. So this time I did about 1,650 Adaptibar questions (about 90%) and tried to really figure out the mechanics and tricks of each question. it did help, but did it help enough? IDK

One thing I'll say, the adaptibar civ pro questions were terrible. Some were about two or three paragraphs long and usually it would cover stuff I couldn't find in an outline. I had a low accuracy rate in civ pro. When the explanations were given, they would usually cite cases, something completely unhelpful for bar prep. It was still great preparation though because it really forced you to become an expert in civ pro to be able to answer the questions.

But, surprisingly, the actual mbe questions weren't much easier. In fact, there were only a few (less than 5) questions on subject matter and personal jurisdiction, something you'd expect half the questions to be on. every question was on pre-judgment and post-judgment motions, discovery, and appeals. It was not easy.

They basically asked what are the hardest areas for each mbe subject and about 90% of the questions were from those areas (e.g., property 90% on mortgages, promissory notes, RAP). Even though I felt really strong on con law there were so many questions on delegation of powers and executive authority, things that even if you know what is going on, it's still hard to pick the right answer. Well, what can ya do.

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:50 am

waxecstatic wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
I used Adaptibar and it helped because in February my weakness was the MBE. So this time I did about 1,650 Adaptibar questions (about 90%) and tried to really figure out the mechanics and tricks of each question. it did help, but did it help enough? IDK

One thing I'll say, the adaptibar civ pro questions were terrible. Some were about two or three paragraphs long and usually it would cover stuff I couldn't find in an outline. I had a low accuracy rate in civ pro. When the explanations were given, they would usually cite cases, something completely unhelpful for bar prep. It was still great preparation though because it really forced you to become an expert in civ pro to be able to answer the questions.

But, surprisingly, the actual mbe questions weren't much easier. In fact, there were only a few (less than 5) questions on subject matter and personal jurisdiction, something you'd expect half the questions to be on. every question was on pre-judgment and post-judgment motions, discovery, and appeals. It was not easy.

They basically asked what are the hardest areas for each mbe subject and about 90% of the questions were from those areas (e.g., property 90% on mortgages, promissory notes, RAP). Even though I felt really strong on con law there were so many questions on delegation of powers and executive authority, things that even if you know what is going on, it's still hard to pick the right answer. Well, what can ya do.
Any mortgage question with promissory notes I basically took an educated guess, lol! I just never really learned to significance of the note separated from the mortgage. The other issues on mortgages I was pretty comfortable with

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:54 am

nyny wrote:

I think the National Bar Examiners have caught up with the bar prep companies, when it comes to the MBE, because those released former exam questions in Adaptibar (other companies also get the same released questions, they tend to add their own or vary it, whereas Adaptibar gives you the exact released questions) were had clear wrong answers... the bar exam was something different.
I'm curious about that too. Yeah, on a lot of the MBE's I was, at best, able to take out two wrong answers (or what I THOUGHT were wrong answers). Or I knew the answer was "yes", or "no" but it was hard to figure out which answer was written better. Property is my Achilles heel, do you feel it was a good prep for the property portion at all?

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:00 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
nyny wrote:

I'm curious about that too. Yeah, on a lot of the MBE's I was, at best, able to take out two wrong answers (or what I THOUGHT were wrong answers). Or I knew the answer was "yes", or "no" but it was hard to figure out which answer was written better. Property is my Achilles heel, do you feel it was a good prep for the property portion at all?
I felt prepared! I used my barbri notes and the Adaptibar questions. The one or two future interest questions I took an educated guess, and the separation of promissory note and mortgage questions I guessed as well... Thats probably 4-5 questions in total. Everything else in property I had a pretty good grasp on. We just have to see when the results come back.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:39 am

nyny wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
nyny wrote:

I felt prepared! I used my barbri notes and the Adaptibar questions. The one or two future interest questions I took an educated guess, and the separation of promissory note and mortgage questions I guessed as well... Thats probably 4-5 questions in total. Everything else in property I had a pretty good grasp on. We just have to see when the results come back.
Thanks for the feedback, I think it will be worth getting Adaptibar for me :)

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Dude, you haven't even crossed the halfway point for waiting, let alone gotten your results, and you're already planning which bar prep company to go with for the February exam. How do you know you failed? Did you leave 25 questions blank on the MBE as in didn't even bubble in an answer before the proctor glared her eyes on you after time was called? did you not answer two or three essay questions? if the answer to either of these questions is no, then there is no reason to think you failed.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:22 am

waxecstatic wrote:Dude, you haven't even crossed the halfway point for waiting, let alone gotten your results, and you're already planning which bar prep company to go with for the February exam. How do you know you failed? Did you leave 25 questions blank on the MBE as in didn't even bubble in an answer before the proctor glared her eyes on you after time was called? did you not answer two or three essay questions? if the answer to either of these questions is no, then there is no reason to think you failed.
I just know, and its as simple as that. As a general rule I think its a little silly for anyone to tell someone that there is no basis for a person to feel the way they feel about an exam that they sat for and they took.

And yes, I am going to plan, because a) planning makes me feel better, and b) I have no intention of taking the bar exam a third time and good planning on my part has almost always led to good results. I have no idea why passing the halfway point of waiting would make a difference. Waiting to study until I get my results leaves me in the position of: a) being further removed from the material than when I took the July Bar and b) not really studying or immersing myself in law for four months with only another two months to study. Which means that again I would be in what I felt was a pressure cooker situation. Starting now means the ability to take the prep a little slower, and be in a position to really amp up after results come out.

That's my plan. I'm sure your plan and your approach is great too. I'm sure everyone on here with a bright, positive, sunny attitude about their prospects that is critical of my approach will pass with flying colors and so they won't even need to be concerned about what study approach would work best for them for February. But I know I'll feel better being super prepared.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:24 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:Dude, you haven't even crossed the halfway point for waiting, let alone gotten your results, and you're already planning which bar prep company to go with for the February exam. How do you know you failed? Did you leave 25 questions blank on the MBE as in didn't even bubble in an answer before the proctor glared her eyes on you after time was called? did you not answer two or three essay questions? if the answer to either of these questions is no, then there is no reason to think you failed.
I just know, and its as simple as that. As a general rule I think its a little silly for anyone to tell someone that there is no basis for a person to feel the way they feel about an exam that they sat for and they took.

And yes, I am going to plan, because a) planning makes me feel better, and b) I have no intention of taking the bar exam a third time and good planning on my part has almost always led to good results. I have no idea why passing the halfway point of waiting would make a difference. Waiting to study until I get my results leaves me in the position of: a) being further removed from the material than when I took the July Bar and b) not really studying or immersing myself in law for four months with only another two months to study. Which means that again I would be in what I felt was a pressure cooker situation. Starting now means the ability to take the prep a little slower, and be in a position to really amp up after results come out.

That's my plan. I'm sure your plan and your approach is great too. I'm sure everyone on here with a bright, positive, sunny attitude about their prospects that is critical of my approach will pass with flying colors and so they won't even need to be concerned about what study approach would work best for them for February. But I know I'll feel better being super prepared.
I'm with you. Over prepared is the goal for February.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:49 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:

Because I know everyone says that when they just got through taking an exam like this but if you're that certain you're failed then I'm sorry to hear that.

I don't know if it's a question of preparation for me anyway. For a lot of people, it just comes down to performance on that day. I'm not sure what else I could have done preparation-wise that would have made a difference. Sometimes, I just space out, and other times I'm just too bogged down with concerns about time. During the essay day, I legit spaced out and could not think--I thought I was going to have a seizure or something since I've had them in the past, granted not for several months. I had all the symptoms of it. Thankfully I came back. I lost about 7-8 minutes of test-time. Maybe I was dehydrated or it was an anxiety thing or something, but shit like that happens in a stressful situations and there isn't much we can do about it.

All I'm saying is preparation is key, but I firmly believe through my experience anyway, you can only prepare so much. Make sure you don't lose your mind. By the end of the two months, I was so tired of looking at the material and I was like okay give me the test so I can be done with this.

As for the halfway point, maybe your feelings would change idk. You seem to be so adamant about your feelings and plans tho, so good luck to you.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:21 pm

waxecstatic wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

Because I know everyone says that when they just got through taking an exam like this but if you're that certain you're failed then I'm sorry to hear that.

I don't know if it's a question of preparation for me anyway. For a lot of people, it just comes down to performance on that day. I'm not sure what else I could have done preparation-wise that would have made a difference. Sometimes, I just space out, and other times I'm just too bogged down with concerns about time. During the essay day, I legit spaced out and could not think--I thought I was going to have a seizure or something since I've had them in the past, granted not for several months. I had all the symptoms of it. Thankfully I came back. I lost about 7-8 minutes of test-time. Maybe I was dehydrated or it was an anxiety thing or something, but shit like that happens in a stressful situations and there isn't much we can do about it.

All I'm saying is preparation is key, but I firmly believe through my experience anyway, you can only prepare so much. Make sure you don't lose your mind. By the end of the two months, I was so tired of looking at the material and I was like okay give me the test so I can be done with this.

As for the halfway point, maybe your feelings would change idk. You seem to be so adamant about your feelings and plans tho, so good luck to you.
It sounds like you did as much as you could do, its good that whatever happened you were able to bounce back and it didn't eat up much time. And I think people absolutely know themselves best, and it has to be a good feeling to know that you put balls to the wall and did everything you could. I think there is more I could have done, and some of that had to do with the "Barbri method" wasn't one that I had ever used and I spent a while trying to conform myself to their study plan instead of realizing that it was probably a better idea for me to use some of my own methods instead. But, Barbri is built for everyone, so I'm sure they suggest the method that has worked for a lot of people.

My hope is that by starting early I won't have to do that all consuming, frantic paced style of studying for two months, but can take it a little slower because I'll have a longer time to study. But who knows.

Thanks for the well-wishes, and I send them back at you!

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:29 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

It sounds like you did as much as you could do, its good that whatever happened you were able to bounce back and it didn't eat up much time. And I think people absolutely know themselves best, and it has to be a good feeling to know that you put balls to the wall and did everything you could. I think there is more I could have done, and some of that had to do with the "Barbri method" wasn't one that I had ever used and I spent a while trying to conform myself to their study plan instead of realizing that it was probably a better idea for me to use some of my own methods instead. But, Barbri is built for everyone, so I'm sure they suggest the method that has worked for a lot of people.

My hope is that by starting early I won't have to do that all consuming, frantic paced style of studying for two months, but can take it a little slower because I'll have a longer time to study. But who knows.

Thanks for the well-wishes, and I send them back at you!
Thanks man, it sounds like you have a good attitude going forward and best of luck!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:12 pm

If I have to do this again I'm going to self-study. I would have self-studied last time, but I waited until 10 weeks before, and the price of the complete sets of books on Amazon and EBay were already like sky high. I wish I had bought earlier so they were cheaper. Sigh. Also going to use the E&Es this time around to review for each of the MBE subjects.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”