Feb 2016 Bar Exam discussion Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rcharter1978

Gold

Re: Feb 2016 Bar Exam discussion

Post by rcharter1978 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:17 pm

emkay625 wrote:If I have to do this again I'm going to self-study. I would have self-studied last time, but I waited until 10 weeks before, and the price of the complete sets of books on Amazon and EBay were already like sky high. I wish I had bought earlier so they were cheaper. Sigh. Also going to use the E&Es this time around to review for each of the MBE subjects.
Thats an interesting approach. E&E's were my all time, absolute favorite ever study tool during law school, I could see that being a useful tool, but I felt like with Barbri there was barely enough time to breathe. I hadn't really thought about how they might apply to bar exam studying.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:23 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:If I have to do this again I'm going to self-study. I would have self-studied last time, but I waited until 10 weeks before, and the price of the complete sets of books on Amazon and EBay were already like sky high. I wish I had bought earlier so they were cheaper. Sigh. Also going to use the E&Es this time around to review for each of the MBE subjects.
Thats an interesting approach. E&E's were my all time, absolute favorite ever study tool during law school, I could see that being a useful tool, but I felt like with Barbri there was barely enough time to breathe. I hadn't really thought about how they might apply to bar exam studying.
I loved them in law school too, which is why I wish I had used them. If I had to do it over I'd get a used copy of the BarBri materials on ebay plus the E&Es for the MBE subjects. Make my own outlines just like law school, then do tons and tons of practice questions. For the essays in my state especially, the last 15 years of essays are online plus model answers. You could memorize those concepts and be fine for the essay day.

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:51 am

Excuse me, but what are E&Es'?

DalRock

New

Post by DalRock » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:51 am

trustmouse83 wrote:Excuse me, but what are E&Es'?
Examples & Explanations

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:03 pm

Yeah man, and you could also use some outlines from an outline bank, a textbook and about 45,000 other sources available on the internet. Seriously, with two months to study, and do at least 1,000 MBEs, you don't really have the luxury of perusing through E&Es to memorize fact patterns, which is pretty inefficient. I didn't even have the time to go over the critical pass flashcards which were nothing more than mini convisers in flash card form and I don't recommend since the card itself has so much text you might as well be reading a book. Somebody on this board told me if I only used the mini conviser I probably missed a lot of questions. The mini conviser is close to 500 pages of pure text if you don't count the non-mbe subjects. You would need to memorize a minimum or absorb of 10 pages a day if you had two months to study. Yeah, there were some things on there I had never seen before but thats probably inevitable.

Between all the resources out there, thanks to the internet, you could be spending a shit-ton of time simply finding sources, and weeding out the unhelpful ones, printing, highliting, its absurdly laborious. then boom the test is two weeks away.

This whole thread is frightening since some people are so certain they failed they decided to start thinking about February. Yikes. I'm sure people here did better than they think.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:20 pm

Anyone else doin Wisconsin?

numbertwo88

Bronze

Post by numbertwo88 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:33 pm

I'll be taking Maryland!

I took MA July '14 and didn't pass. Took MA Feb '15 and passed. Totally revamped my study style so I'll be doing the same this fall/winter.

Mostly taking MD because it's my home state and I have nothing to lose in taking it.

To those of you that think you've failed already - I'd say think positive but I know literally nothing anyone says will do shit to help.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:35 am

numbertwo88 wrote:I'll be taking Maryland!

I took MA July '14 and didn't pass. Took MA Feb '15 and passed. Totally revamped my study style so I'll be doing the same this fall/winter.

Mostly taking MD because it's my home state and I have nothing to lose in taking it.

To those of you that think you've failed already - I'd say think positive but I know literally nothing anyone says will do shit to help.

This is so hilarious, and so true.

But venting has been helpful, so I appreciate that people in this forum, and in life have let me do that. And realizing that its not the end of the world, as my father said "its a disappointment, not a disgrace."

How did you revamp your study style? What did you do the first time around and how did you change it for the retest?

numbertwo88

Bronze

Post by numbertwo88 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:32 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:

But venting has been helpful, so I appreciate that people in this forum, and in life have let me do that. And realizing that its not the end of the world, as my father said "its a disappointment, not a disgrace."

How did you revamp your study style? What did you do the first time around and how did you change it for the retest?
July 2014 - I used Themis & followed the study program, completed about 76% of the course. However, Literally about 50% of the course was just their lectures so I truly didn't do enough practice work. I also took their advice to "just watch the videos" when I started falling behind - big ass mistake. Also, I failed by just 2 points and literally wanted to jump off of a cliff while slitting my wrists -- the MBE wasn't my strong point.

February 2015 - Since I could re-take Themis "for free" I used their MBE questions/exams & essay questions (in the end it was like 46% of the course or something like that). For substantive learning I bought critical pass cards & the Silverman MBE book from amazon. I made outlines for each MBE subject using those 2 materials. Once I started practice MBE questions, if I was particularly weak in a specific area, I would read that specific portion of the long outline from my old Themis materials. I completed every single MBE question (amounted to over 2,500) and every single essay. I also copied down the rule statements for the questions I got wrong and skimmed it like a whopping 1 or 2 times plus the night before the MBE and morning of the MBE - mostly to see patterns as I kept getting the same questions wrong. For the state essays, I actually wrote amazing super short 1 to 2 page outlines during the summer that I re-used and was just fine (the essays were my strong point). I wrote outlines of essay questions, I didn't write full essays aside from the graded ones for Themis. The grader sucked and I didn't credit her words but it was good to write some out.

I also bought Emanuel's MBE strategies & tactics but so many questions overlapped with Themis that I just didn't use it at all.

Once you fail a fire kind of lights under your ass yet you don't have the same "summer intensity" if that makes any sense. Having done it once you make an effort to study smarter the second time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:51 pm

numbertwo88 wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

July 2014 - I used Themis & followed the study program, completed about 76% of the course. However, Literally about 50% of the course was just their lectures so I truly didn't do enough practice work. I also took their advice to "just watch the videos" when I started falling behind - big ass mistake. Also, I failed by just 2 points and literally wanted to jump off of a cliff while slitting my wrists -- the MBE wasn't my strong point.

February 2015 - Since I could re-take Themis "for free" I used their MBE questions/exams & essay questions (in the end it was like 46% of the course or something like that). For substantive learning I bought critical pass cards & the Silverman MBE book from amazon. I made outlines for each MBE subject using those 2 materials. Once I started practice MBE questions, if I was particularly weak in a specific area, I would read that specific portion of the long outline from my old Themis materials. I completed every single MBE question (amounted to over 2,500) and every single essay. I also copied down the rule statements for the questions I got wrong and skimmed it like a whopping 1 or 2 times plus the night before the MBE and morning of the MBE - mostly to see patterns as I kept getting the same questions wrong. For the state essays, I actually wrote amazing super short 1 to 2 page outlines during the summer that I re-used and was just fine (the essays were my strong point). I wrote outlines of essay questions, I didn't write full essays aside from the graded ones for Themis. The grader sucked and I didn't credit her words but it was good to write some out.

I also bought Emanuel's MBE strategies & tactics but so many questions overlapped with Themis that I just didn't use it at all.

Once you fail a fire kind of lights under your ass yet you don't have the same "summer intensity" if that makes any sense. Having done it once you make an effort to study smarter the second time.
Thank you - this is very helpful and makes sense. I think studying smarter is going to be my rallying cry

JayRock2015

New

Post by JayRock2015 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:39 pm

I will be retaking in February 2016. Just received my Indiana bar exam results. I concentrated so much on the MBE and forgot about the essays which were my downfall....So I will revamp my study and work on my essays. Just needed to vent...

Sam0406

New

Post by Sam0406 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:41 pm

So I took Feb for the first time- failed by 5 points. My weakest is multiple choice but did well on the essays somehow. I retook July and found out I failed by a few points. I finally improved on the MBE enough but this time came short on the essays, a lot shorter than the February exam. Do the graders grade the essays more strict during the summer? I have no idea how this happened. Any tips??? (MEE + MPT) I am so disappointed that this happened again. Thanks.

anshulkalra

New

Post by anshulkalra » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:16 am

Hello Guys

I took Themis for Feb 2015 exam, failed by 7 points - was very very disappointed. I did not take any supplement courses, but managed to complete 78% of the course as prescribed by Themis. Now I am considering to sit for Feb 2016 exam and potentially looking for other bar courses such as Barbri or Kaplan. However on the other hand I am thinking of continuing with Themis since I have all course materials except for online lectures. Plus I am thinking of supplementing Themis with Seperac to get more practice on the MBE. What do you think I should do?

I have to start making a plan and have to start studying soon (i work full time so i have to get in there early).

Would appreciate some constructive feedback.

thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:34 am

anshulkalra wrote:Hello Guys

I took Themis for Feb 2015 exam, failed by 7 points - was very very disappointed. I did not take any supplement courses, but managed to complete 78% of the course as prescribed by Themis. Now I am considering to sit for Feb 2016 exam and potentially looking for other bar courses such as Barbri or Kaplan. However on the other hand I am thinking of continuing with Themis since I have all course materials except for online lectures. Plus I am thinking of supplementing Themis with Seperac to get more practice on the MBE. What do you think I should do?

I have to start making a plan and have to start studying soon (i work full time so i have to get in there early).

thanks
There are other "retake" threads on here. Basically you need to figure out your weak areas, figure out all the supplements, and then be flexible as time goes by. It appears retaking is all about knowing yourself and knowing the exam on a personal level. For example, I know my problem was memorization. I did a lot of questions and I had a grip on every issue, but I never really memorized any rule.

anshulkalra

New

Post by anshulkalra » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:29 am

941law wrote:
anshulkalra wrote:Hello Guys

thanks
There are other "retake" threads on here. Basically you need to figure out your weak areas, figure out all the supplements, and then be flexible as time goes by. It appears retaking is all about knowing yourself and knowing the exam on a personal level. For example, I know my problem was memorization. I did a lot of questions and I had a grip on every issue, but I never really memorized any rule.

Thanks very much for your reply. I pretty much failed because of my performance on the MBE. I am aware of the areas I need to work on. Need to find the right supplement materials.

anshulkalra

New

Post by anshulkalra » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:47 am

Any supplement materials suggestions to improve on the MBE. I am going to retake Bar in feb 2016. I will be using Themis but want to add a supplement course to help with MBE. Do you guys have any good suggestions?

Sam0406

New

Post by Sam0406 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:14 am

Can someone recommend helpful tips to improve essays (MEE and MPT)? I just want to make sure I don't decrease on the essays again. Thanks in advance.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:40 am

anshulkalra wrote:Any supplement materials suggestions to improve on the MBE. I am going to retake Bar in feb 2016. I will be using Themis but want to add a supplement course to help with MBE. Do you guys have any good suggestions?
Adaptibar or barmax. Emmanuel MBE strategy book. Kaplan.

I'm going to start a thread for MBE supplements I think. Consolidate a list.

numbertwo88

Bronze

Post by numbertwo88 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Sam0406 wrote:Can someone recommend helpful tips to improve essays (MEE and MPT)? I just want to make sure I don't decrease on the essays again. Thanks in advance.
Make a short condensed outline (1 or 2 pages max) for every single subject that hits areas that are tested when they show up on the exam. at the beginning of those mini-outlines you can make a little attack plan to follow for the essay. For instance with my family law essay divorce was often tested so my attack was often something like "valid marriage? -> if yes, grounds for divorce (fault/no fault) -> division of assets -> child support/custody & alimony. If no marriage -> grounds for annulment. For contract law it was something like: valid k> -> breach? -> defenses? -> damages? and etc.

I found that helped me a lot when I took the bar exam!

KTnKT

Bronze

Post by KTnKT » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Feb. 2016 Texas bar (Themis), first timer, checking in.

Woot. Let's do this.

anshulkalra

New

Post by anshulkalra » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:20 pm

Well, I am going to start re-sit for Feb NY 2016.

I am going to take Themis for Feb 2016. In addition to that I was planning to buy Silverman MBE 2014 edition. Do you think I should try to find latest edition for Feb 2016 edition, as there may be an updated edition to reflect changes in the law?

Would appreciate any advice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Post by BuenAbogado » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:06 am

If it was the MBE you did poorly on, I recommend AdaptiBar, as they license real questions. It worked for me when I retook the CA bar exam in Feb, although my essays were still bad, my MBE increased a lot.

If anyone needs a $50 coupon for AdaptiBar, send me a private message with your email.

udonisandtrinity

Bronze

Post by udonisandtrinity » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:18 am

Which one is the best for MBEs? I did awful on my MBEs.

ilovetheatre

New

Post by ilovetheatre » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:20 pm

udonisandtrinity wrote:Which one is the best for MBEs? I did awful on my MBEs.
I recommend Kaplan. There are no real Civ Pro MBE Qs available beyond the free ones on the NCBE website, but Kaplan's Civ Pro MBE Qs were very much like the one's on test day. Also, I found the old retired MBE Qs (available through adaptibar, barmax, themis, and some books on amazon) to be too easy. While easy isn't necessarily bad, I think I would have had a breakdown during the MBE if I wasn't used to doubting my answers (through Kaplan's practice tests and Qbank).

udonisandtrinity

Bronze

Post by udonisandtrinity » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:29 pm

ilovetheatre wrote:
udonisandtrinity wrote:Which one is the best for MBEs? I did awful on my MBEs.
I recommend Kaplan. There are no real Civ Pro MBE Qs available beyond the free ones on the NCBE website, but Kaplan's Civ Pro MBE Qs were very much like the one's on test day. Also, I found the old retired MBE Qs (available through adaptibar, barmax, themis, and some books on amazon) to be too easy. While easy isn't necessarily bad, I think I would have had a breakdown during the MBE if I wasn't used to doubting my answers (through Kaplan's practice tests and Qbank).
You're saying Kap > Barbri?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”