Feb 2016 Bar Exam discussion Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dxchpwd

New

Feb 2016 Bar Exam discussion

Post by dxchpwd » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:29 pm

Let's do it!

LAW813FL

Bronze

Re: Feb 2016 Bar Exam discussion

Post by LAW813FL » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:34 pm

But my wounds haven't healed yet

Underoath

Bronze

Post by Underoath » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Is it dumb to learn like a couple rules a day haha....

NYKfanAIesq

New

Post by NYKfanAIesq » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:39 pm

dxchpwd wrote:Let's do it!
But why?

cram1

New

Post by cram1 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Checking in! I work 60 hours per week and I had only 2 hours per day to prepare for the July bar - not nearly enough time to be ready. But now I'm continuing to study 2 hours every day in the hopes that it will be enough by the time February rolls around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:27 pm

I have nothing to add to this except to wish you all the very best of luck.

starryski

Bronze

Post by starryski » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:30 pm

joining the crew. so many ppl at work are so sure i passed. i want to cry.

sundontshine

Bronze

Post by sundontshine » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:40 pm

cram1 wrote:Checking in! I work 60 hours per week and I had only 2 hours per day to prepare for the July bar - not nearly enough time to be ready. But now I'm continuing to study 2 hours every day in the hopes that it will be enough by the time February rolls around.
Two hours a day for a whole summer is way more than enough time to have you pass July. Thats a ton more time studying than a lot of people who pass.I wouldn't be so certain you failed.

jul15taker

New

Post by jul15taker » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:22 pm

sundontshine wrote:
cram1 wrote:Checking in! I work 60 hours per week and I had only 2 hours per day to prepare for the July bar - not nearly enough time to be ready. But now I'm continuing to study 2 hours every day in the hopes that it will be enough by the time February rolls around.
Two hours a day for a whole summer is way more than enough time to have you pass July. Thats a ton more time studying than a lot of people who pass.I wouldn't be so certain you failed.
Plus if you're feeling you failed because you didn't feel ready in July then maybe try a different approach to this. Working 60 hours instead of studying for the bar seems self destructive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cram1

New

Post by cram1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:58 am

sundontshine wrote:
I hope you're right. We'll all know for sure in a few months, but I'd rather not wait that long to begin studying for the next exam if it turns out I need to take it.

cram1

New

Post by cram1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:00 pm

jul15taker wrote:
sundontshine wrote:
Plus if you're feeling you failed because you didn't feel ready in July then maybe try a different approach to this. Working 60 hours instead of studying for the bar seems self destructive.
Sounds like a good idea, but it's not that simple. The kids still need food on the table, and as much as I would like a 10-hour-per-week job that pays my current salary, that's unlikely to happen.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:54 pm

starryski wrote:joining the crew. so many ppl at work are so sure i passed. i want to cry.
I know that feeling, I'm so tired of people and their "well I'm sure you did fine" or "but you have to BELIEVE in yourself" and "be positive"...well I am positive....that I didn't pass the bloody exam. I'm tired of hearing all the cliches and so I'm glad people have finally stopped doing that and have just started to help me to understand that I can pass the test, I just didn't pass it this time.

Michelle Obama didn't pass the first time, neither did Roosevelt, or Hilary Clinton -- so its not some harbinger of absolute doom.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:56 pm

This is my plan, I'm giving myself two weeks to sulk and then I'm going to go through it every day. More essays, more MBE questions, MANY more PT's.

I'm not trying to take this test more than twice! I think 2 hours a day is probably more than reasonable since you'll be doing that for the next 6 months, but hey, what do I know, I just failed the bar exam!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

starryski

Bronze

Post by starryski » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:55 pm

currently having post-bar exam depression. it sucks when everyone is so sure you passed. when i know i didn't. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:08 pm

starryski wrote:currently having post-bar exam depression. it sucks when everyone is so sure you passed. when i know i didn't. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Same, just tell everyone that something happened to you like you were super anxious or you had diarrhea during the exam and that you think you failed because of it. Any reason really, but one that is sincere and believable, so then you have something to fall back on if you do fail. But if you pass, people will be like "wow, they faced adversity and succeeded" wow much great.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:01 pm

starryski wrote:currently having post-bar exam depression. it sucks when everyone is so sure you passed. when i know i didn't. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I truly wish people would quit it with that. I know people mean well, but I'm so tired of the "believe in yourself!", "I'm sure you did fine" and various other platitudes.

A friend texted me the other day and I told her that I didn't pass. And of course she launched into "you can't know," "believe in yourself," and on and on and on, and finally I just had to tell her that I didn't really need a pep talk, nor did I want one.

To me - this is the bottom line, and what I'm focused on. By the time November rolls around I will have been studying, you only have 2-3 months to avoid people until the February bar. And most of this is the holiday season where people are preoccupied with themselves, so they will be less interested in giving you lame affirmations. When you walk out of the February bar, or when I walk out of the February bar, I want to feel good. Feeling good means I can tell everyone, "hey, I didn't pass last time, but I'm pretty sure I passed this time."

I don't think many things matter AFTER you pass. It won't really be a huge deal that you didn't pass it the first time. Heck, Franklin Roosevelt failed the bar, and he became the president.

Anyways, just know that you aren't alone. I didn't leave my house for three days and I didn't talk to anyone.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:55 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
I truly wish people would quit it with that. I know people mean well, but I'm so tired of the "believe in yourself!", "I'm sure you did fine" and various other platitudes.

A friend texted me the other day and I told her that I didn't pass. And of course she launched into "you can't know," "believe in yourself," and on and on and on, and finally I just had to tell her that I didn't really need a pep talk, nor did I want one.

To me - this is the bottom line, and what I'm focused on. By the time November rolls around I will have been studying, you only have 2-3 months to avoid people until the February bar. And most of this is the holiday season where people are preoccupied with themselves, so they will be less interested in giving you lame affirmations. When you walk out of the February bar, or when I walk out of the February bar, I want to feel good. Feeling good means I can tell everyone, "hey, I didn't pass last time, but I'm pretty sure I passed this time."

I don't think many things matter AFTER you pass. It won't really be a huge deal that you didn't pass it the first time. Heck, Franklin Roosevelt failed the bar, and he became the president.

Anyways, just know that you aren't alone. I didn't leave my house for three days and I didn't talk to anyone.
Maybe if some of you guys/girls weren't such Debby Downers people wouldn't feel obligated to try and cheer you up with worthless positive comments.

Honestly, how do you expect people to respond when you tell them you failed?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:53 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

Maybe if some of you guys/girls weren't such Debby Downers people wouldn't feel obligated to try and cheer you up with worthless positive comments.

Mostly, I expect them to listen and be supportive. Everyone who knows me, knows that I'm not one for useless positive platitudes. I'm not sure how someone is a Debby Downer when they are being honest, instead of lying to themselves. But then again, some people like to approach everything with false bravado. In law school they were the same people that would insist they crushed every exam, hit every issue, but by some sad twist of fate always ended up in the bottom of the class.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: Barbri people who think they failed..

What's your plan?

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:42 am

941law wrote:Re: Barbri people who think they failed..

What's your plan?
1. Another week of taking a break (maybe a week and a half)
2. reviewing my outlines
3. writing essays
4. writing a LOT more PTs
5. lots and lots more MBEs

I'm not sure if you're in the same boat, but if you are, what is your plan? I have no desire to wait until November 21st to start studying.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:55 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
2. reviewing my outlines
3. writing essays

I'm not sure if you're in the same boat, but if you are, what is your plan? I have no desire to wait until November 21st to start studying.
What makes you say November 21st?

I think it depends on you personally, of course. My weakness was black letter law memorization. I was close on every question. I realized what I needed to know, but couldn't recall it exactly. I want to break down each topic in each subject. I took a more general approach last time and it cost me some points. Spare me the bullshit about just needing to know the general law and this being a minimum competency exam. That was a beast and I don't want to walk out feeling uncertain. I'm not sure if I'm going to do Barbri lectures again. Possibly just my weak subjects.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:12 pm

941law wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
2. reviewing my outlines
3. writing essays

What makes you say November 21st?

I think it depends on you personally, of course. My weakness was black letter law memorization. I was close on every question. I realized what I needed to know, but couldn't recall it exactly. I want to break down each topic in each subject. I took a more general approach last time and it cost me some points. Spare me the bullshit about just needing to know the general law and this being a minimum competency exam. That was a beast and I don't want to walk out feeling uncertain. I'm not sure if I'm going to do Barbri lectures again. Possibly just my weak subjects.

Oh, because I thought results came out November 20th, which means, to me, other people will probably start studying the day after they find out they didn't pass. I don't want to be that girl.

I think I came to somewhat the same general conclusions, in that, I think I can pass, I just didn't this time. And just like you, I don't want to walk out of the February exam with the feeling I had this time, i want to walk out confident.

I'm not sure what state you're in, but there is a book in my Barbri pack that I never even opened which is supposed to be a really in depth subject review. Its a pretty big book (not the one they gave you for the lectures). Black letter law is definitely a beast, and I remember the guy who did our MBE lectures saying that the CMR should be the "go-to" book. Although to some degree I feel like I may just have to accept that I completely suck monkey balls at real property and just accept that my scores will always be sub par there.

starryski

Bronze

Post by starryski » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:13 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

Mostly, I expect them to listen and be supportive. Everyone who knows me, knows that I'm not one for useless positive platitudes. I'm not sure how someone is a Debby Downer when they are being honest, instead of lying to themselves. But then again, some people like to approach everything with false bravado. In law school they were the same people that would insist they crushed every exam, hit every issue, but by some sad twist of fate always ended up in the bottom of the class.
i dont tell people i think i failed. only my husband. my problem is people at work. everyone asked me how it went and i said i didnt feel good and all i have to do is wait. everyone has started calling me a lawyer, and esquire and i tell them no, not yet, but they say they're so sure i passed. i went to work right after the bar at a law firm...so i guess that was a big mistake lol. should have waited a while to go back i guess.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:09 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:

Oh, because I thought results came out November 20th, which means, to me, other people will probably start studying the day after they find out they didn't pass. I don't want to be that girl.

I think I came to somewhat the same general conclusions, in that, I think I can pass, I just didn't this time. And just like you, I don't want to walk out of the February exam with the feeling I had this time, i want to walk out confident.

I'm not sure what state you're in, but there is a book in my Barbri pack that I never even opened which is supposed to be a really in depth subject review. Its a pretty big book (not the one they gave you for the lectures). Black letter law is definitely a beast, and I remember the guy who did our MBE lectures saying that the CMR should be the "go-to" book. Although to some degree I feel like I may just have to accept that I completely suck monkey balls at real property and just accept that my scores will always be sub par there.
September 21st, but yes mini outlines help with time; however, I do not think you should give up on details/exceptions that seem uncommon. Especially don't give up on Property. We know the majority of the issues that get tested within property, so you don't have to know everything.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:45 pm

941law wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

September 21st, but yes mini outlines help with time; however, I do not think you should give up on details/exceptions that seem uncommon. Especially don't give up on Property. We know the majority of the issues that get tested within property, so you don't have to know everything.
Oh, it may be a state thing as far as when the results come out. I'm in California, and I thought it was November 20th. I hate property the very worst, probably have invested the most time there with what I feel is the least return. But, I suppose that may be an opportunity. If I could have a solid understanding of even 75-85% of the stuff in property, I would be very pleased with myself and I'm sure it would result in a much better score. Or at least I hope so!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”