Last few weeks, focus on the law (memorization), mass MBE study, or mass essay study? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
redblueyellow

Bronze

Last few weeks, focus on the law (memorization), mass MBE study, or mass essay study?

Post by redblueyellow » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:19 am

Now that we're three weeks away, I'm debating between the following. For background information, I am feeling significantly less prepared in terms of memorization than February (where I was able to list elements out pretty well for most of the big stuff). However, I am feeling more confident conceptually (but then failing at the intricacies).

Over the next two weeks, how should I direct my energies? Focus on doing primarily MBE questions during the day, essays, memorize?

I could knock out 7 essays in a day (write for 30 minutes, doing outlining and issue spotting primarily, and then review for the next 20 minutes) for random topics each day; or I could do about 300 MBE questions until I run out, or just grab some critical pass flash cards for the MBE subjects and my outlines for memorization?

My weak areas tend to be essays (55-65 range), and I should probably aim to get 65-70 on both PT to get some buffer room. I would probably do, to completion, 3-4 PT prior to the exam. MBE scores are "ok," close to average, but I'm definitely not helping myself with getting bonus points in any one section.

odoylerulez

Bronze

Re: Last few weeks, focus on the law (memorization), mass MBE study, or mass essay study?

Post by odoylerulez » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:49 pm

I'd hit the MBE hard. Don't completely neglect the essays. If you're still at average/slightly below average on the MBE, you can make up a lot of points there.

And, 50% or more of the points on the essay questions tend to come from MBE topics. This exam can be defeated quite easily if you master the MBE subjects and bullshit your way through the rest.

kykiske

Bronze

Re: Last few weeks, focus on the law (memorization), mass MBE study, or mass essay study?

Post by kykiske » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:55 pm

I'm finally starting to study for the essays.

I don't know anything about certain topics. For example, still don't know much about secured transactions, wills, or trusts.

If I do hit a blank on exam day, I may just resort to bs'ing a ton.

"As between these two perfected creditors, the first to perfect or file has the superior claim ... [enter bs]."

redblueyellow

Bronze

Post by redblueyellow » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 pm

kykiske wrote:I'm finally starting to study for the essays.

I don't know anything about certain topics. For example, still don't know much about secured transactions, wills, or trusts.

If I do hit a blank on exam day, I may just resort to bs'ing a ton.

"As between these two perfected creditors, the first to perfect or file has the superior claim ... [enter bs]."
Luckily, I don't have to deal with secured transactions, but I can say that wills/trusts isn't *terrible* solely because there is a very finite amount of information to test there. Now, being able to recall it all during test day with great accuracy might be a different thing (since there isn't so much "stuff," you're likely to expected to be more detailed and precise), though. I think the same applies for Community Property (if you have to deal with that).

My main thing is that the MBEs are doable somewhat because you have answer choices that may help (or not) spur your mind into remembering the rules/elements in order to determine what the right rule is.

redblueyellow

Bronze

Post by redblueyellow » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:48 pm

odoylerulez wrote:I'd hit the MBE hard. Don't completely neglect the essays. If you're still at average/slightly below average on the MBE, you can make up a lot of points there.

And, 50% or more of the points on the essay questions tend to come from MBE topics. This exam can be defeated quite easily if you master the MBE subjects and bullshit your way through the rest.
I hear you-- my main concern, and hopefully you have an answer or idea for this, is that I am able to do the MBE subjects on the MBE to some measure of competence, but I can't for example, put an entire essay together from the study of MBE law.

Does that make sense? I can prep MBE law for the MBEs, but I can't seem to retain/transition that over to the essays.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soj

Platinum

Removed

Post by soj » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:56 pm

redblueyellow

Bronze

Post by redblueyellow » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:02 am

soj wrote: i'm having the same problem, but i decided to say fuck it and just do some essays. sometimes it's a shitshow, but most of the time i end up sucking less than i thought i would because essays tend to be less legally complex than these gotcha mbe questions. just knowing the top 10 rules from the subject should get you started, and then you can memorize more rules with practice. so do that on top of MBEs
You know what would be good? A template that breaks it down exactly what you have to do. I don't want that information buried in an outline (such as what Kaplan does: e.g. "when you have a strict liability question, make sure to talk about negligent product liability, express/implied warranties for max points). I want it a 1-2 page max template of every major topic broken down by topic sentence and elements. That would be an ideal study material for the essays.

Does this exist?

Notmyfavbar

New

Post by Notmyfavbar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:00 am

redblueyellow wrote:
soj wrote: i'm having the same problem, but i decided to say fuck it and just do some essays. sometimes it's a shitshow, but most of the time i end up sucking less than i thought i would because essays tend to be less legally complex than these gotcha mbe questions. just knowing the top 10 rules from the subject should get you started, and then you can memorize more rules with practice. so do that on top of MBEs
You know what would be good? A template that breaks it down exactly what you have to do. I don't want that information buried in an outline (such as what Kaplan does: e.g. "when you have a strict liability question, make sure to talk about negligent product liability, express/implied warranties for max points). I want it a 1-2 page max template of every major topic broken down by topic sentence and elements. That would be an ideal study material for the essays.

Does this exist?

I. KNOW. :evil: After barbri assigned the first graded essay in the beginning of the course and I told myself that I would make a template like this so I wouldn't be so effing lost on the essays and could memorize that shit. Well now its july and i still don't have anything like that.

I'm hoping that maybe reading through model answers will help... It's so annoying because come the fuck on barbri, you know a fucking template like that would help EVERYONE! WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME THIS. (sorry i tried not to curse, but i had to let it out). shit pisses me off so much.

Calicakes

Bronze

Post by Calicakes » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:31 pm

Notmyfavbar wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:

Does this exist?

I. KNOW. :evil: After barbri assigned the first graded essay in the beginning of the course and I told myself that I would make a template like this so I wouldn't be so effing lost on the essays and could memorize that shit. Well now its july and i still don't have anything like that.

I'm hoping that maybe reading through model answers will help... It's so annoying because come the fuck on barbri, you know a fucking template like that would help EVERYONE! WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME THIS. (sorry i tried not to curse, but i had to let it out). shit pisses me off so much.
How about Lean Sheets? I have Tony Breeden's attack sheets. These would be for the last week before the bar. They are very cursory.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Calicakes wrote:
Notmyfavbar wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:

Does this exist?

How about Lean Sheets? I have Tony Breeden's attack sheets. These would be for the last week before the bar. They are very cursory.
Lean sheets are good for rote memorization, but not attacking the essays.

I also would like a roadmap of how to approach the essays since my LS "just write everything as it comes to mind" method doesn't work for the bar :(

Notmyfavbar

New

Post by Notmyfavbar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:16 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Calicakes wrote:
Notmyfavbar wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:

Does this exist?

Lean sheets are good for rote memorization, but not attacking the essays.

I also would like a roadmap of how to approach the essays since my LS "just write everything as it comes to mind" method doesn't work for the bar :(

I caved and bought smart bar prep for NY. I also started doing practice essays based on the subjects I was reviewing on a given day, rather than following barbri's essay assignments. It's def a lot easier to write essays when I've been reviewing the subjects that same day. But also makes me worry about the actual exam bc not like we'll have the time to review everything before.

Basically, this entire BAR examination is a money making scheme. im convinced.

redblueyellow

Bronze

Post by redblueyellow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:41 pm

Notmyfavbar wrote:It's def a lot easier to write essays when I've been reviewing the subjects that same day. But also makes me worry about the actual exam bc not like we'll have the time to review everything before. .
This is my problem.

old_soul

Bronze

Post by old_soul » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:50 pm

My plan is to do a rough pass through all my subjects as well as outline all the barbri essays -- finish this in the next couple of days. I have like 6-7 subjects left over.

Then in the last two weeks, start memorizing specific language.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:58 pm

We're all gonna be fine, right?

:?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:We're all gonna be fine, right?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Notmyfavbar

New

Post by Notmyfavbar » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:40 pm

Literally feel like the dumbest piece of shit ever. I'm sitting here going through my Crim law/pro notes and critical pass cards because guess who doesn't remember ANYTHING... ME. and they want me to study the ny state specific stuff... haha that's funny.

ok, time for some positive vibes. We got this. stupid people pass the bar all the time. ALL. THE. TIME. and we're not stupid so :mrgreen: 8) :wink:

old_soul

Bronze

Post by old_soul » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:32 pm

I feel like if I'm preparing at least the median amount, I should be ok.

I keep telling myself, this is a preparation test which is about daily effort, things will come together in the end (gulp -- hopefully).

Yeah, I hear you all about the state specifics. I'm just went through a rough pass on Corporations this morning and internally died b/c of how much I don't know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

colonial108

New

Post by colonial108 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:49 pm

Pleasye wrote:

Yes, yes you are. Remember when you are in the exam, EVERYONE is having a rough go of it. Sure there may be a handful of people who know it all, but seriously, who cares? The goal is to PASS. This isn't law school. Just PASS. If you have been studying diligently and working hard, you should be just fine. It's a lot of material, but when you are reading the questions (MBE or essay) you will lock in to that area of law.

It's a grind on the MBE. Once you get to around question 150, just take a deep breath, relax and plow on through to the end. You have come this far, you can finish the job.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Notmyfavbar wrote:

stupid people pass the bar all the time. ALL. THE. TIME.
Fact.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:59 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
Notmyfavbar wrote:

Fact.
This does NOT make me feel better when I struggle through an essay or get a bunch of MBEs wrong in a row. :x :? :(

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:05 pm

colonial108 wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

Yes, yes you are. Remember when you are in the exam, EVERYONE is having a rough go of it. Sure there may be a handful of people who know it all, but seriously, who cares? The goal is to PASS. This isn't law school. Just PASS. If you have been studying diligently and working hard, you should be just fine. It's a lot of material, but when you are reading the questions (MBE or essay) you will lock in to that area of law.

It's a grind on the MBE. Once you get to around question 150, just take a deep breath, relax and plow on through to the end. You have come this far, you can finish the job.
Thanks for this. I'm just having a very not confident day today.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:31 am

despina wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
Notmyfavbar wrote:

Fact.
This does NOT make me feel better when I struggle through an essay or get a bunch of MBEs wrong in a row. :x :? :(
The one thing that makes me feel better is talking to my severely manic buddies from LS...Knowing they're freaking out twice as badly gives me comfort. Woosah

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:36 am

Pleasye wrote:
colonial108 wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

Thanks for this. I'm just having a very not confident day today.
You must believe...Believe harder than Beliebers and nothing will stop you. We will all make the CBX (or your respective Bar) our [fill in pejorative here].

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”