Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
gabewatch

Bronze

Re: Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by gabewatch » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Wow seriously Kaplan. They've already blocked access to NY MC questions and there is a message that pops up about early access preview (for the next bar prep course I assume). Kaplan sucks.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:13 pm

gabewatch wrote:Wow seriously Kaplan. They've already blocked access to NY MC questions and there is a message that pops up about early access preview (for the next bar prep course I assume). Kaplan sucks.
Really? WTF

Even Kaplan has forsaken us

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:17 pm

gabewatch wrote:Wow seriously Kaplan. They've already blocked access to NY MC questions and there is a message that pops up about early access preview (for the next bar prep course I assume). Kaplan sucks.
That's absurd.... I was planning to do one last set of MBEs to stay fresh tonight. Let's hope those aren't blocked

gabewatch

Bronze

Post by gabewatch » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:18 pm

Ya tech support fixed the issue. . . but still.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:19 pm

orangecup wrote:
That's absurd.... I was planning to do one last set of MBEs to stay fresh tonight. Let's hope those aren't blocked
Just checked, mine's still open and I'm taking the CBX. I'd contact them

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fadedsunrise

Bronze

Post by fadedsunrise » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:27 pm

TommyK wrote:What is everybody's strategy if they get an essay question that they're pretty much stumped on? I have seen a couple that I look at and think that I'm sure I'd be able to pick the right multiple choice, but I can't identify the rule to save my life. Would you just meander through a made-up rule? do you talk around it? Do you just say "fuck it. I'm sure it has the word 'reasonable' in it"?

I put off working on my essays until way too late and the few essays I got back from Kaplan were brutally graded even when I got the law right. I have a lot of concern about the area--particularly when I don't feel a lot of comfort with the substantive area (e.g., secured, commercial paper).
My plan is to liberally sprinkle "reasonableness" and "fairness" somewhere into my made up rule.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:56 pm

fadedsunrise wrote:
TommyK wrote:What is everybody's strategy if they get an essay question that they're pretty much stumped on? I have seen a couple that I look at and think that I'm sure I'd be able to pick the right multiple choice, but I can't identify the rule to save my life. Would you just meander through a made-up rule? do you talk around it? Do you just say "fuck it. I'm sure it has the word 'reasonable' in it"?

I put off working on my essays until way too late and the few essays I got back from Kaplan were brutally graded even when I got the law right. I have a lot of concern about the area--particularly when I don't feel a lot of comfort with the substantive area (e.g., secured, commercial paper).
My plan is to liberally sprinkle "reasonableness" and "fairness" somewhere into my made up rule.
May I recommend the addition of "good faith"?

redblueyellow

Bronze

Post by redblueyellow » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:26 pm

TommyK wrote:
fadedsunrise wrote:

And if a contracts question, "seasonable," especially if UCC.

fadedsunrise

Bronze

Post by fadedsunrise » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:39 pm

redblueyellow wrote:
TommyK wrote:
fadedsunrise wrote:

Too many words @_@. Reasonableness/fairness/good faith covers seasonable, damn it. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:47 pm

fadedsunrise wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:
TommyK wrote:
fadedsunrise wrote:

Too many words @_@. Reasonableness/fairness/good faith covers seasonable, damn it. :lol:
So a pretty basic rule of writing I try to follow is that the word "utilize" is absolutely fucking pretentious and should be avoided at all costs, in favor of "use." I think "seasonable" over "timely" is going on my list.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:30 pm

Alright Kaplan Comrades: Who feels like if they succeed it will not be because of Kaplan, but despite Kaplan?

integralx2

New

Post by integralx2 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:16 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:Alright Kaplan Comrades: Who feels like if they succeed it will not be because of Kaplan, but despite Kaplan?
No love for Chris Fromm? :D

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:01 pm

integralx2 wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:Alright Kaplan Comrades: Who feels like if they succeed it will not be because of Kaplan, but despite Kaplan?
haha; someone suggested I was Chris Fromm in an earlier post. I actually liked Chris ;)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

integralx2

New

Post by integralx2 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:12 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
integralx2 wrote:
haha; someone suggested I was Chris Fromm in an earlier post. I actually liked Chris ;)
I would only suggest your Chris Fromm if you said at some point "friends...."

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:12 pm

integralx2 wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
integralx2 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Or: Highlight, circle, underline!!!!!!!!!!!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:32 pm

I feel really well prepared for the MBE. I liked Chris Fromm though and most of the MBE lecturers -- especially the con law and K's lecturers.

The state-specific sections were garbage, though. The lectures and bar notes were not in the same order, making it really hard to follow along. They were not engaging teachers and I found no value over listening to them instead of just reading from the books. Also, I don't know how much of the essay grading that I received was to scare me into studying more or if that's gonna' be reflective of how the state bar is gonna' grade. This wouldn't be that big of a deal, but my jurisdiction is only 33% MBE. Essays, by comparison, are 53%.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:33 pm

TommyK wrote:

The state-specific sections were garbage, though. The lectures and bar notes were not in the same order, making it really hard to follow along. They were not engaging teachers and I found no value over listening to them instead of just reading from the books. Also, I don't know how much of the essay grading that I received was to scare me into studying more or if that's gonna' be reflective of how the state bar is gonna' grade. This wouldn't be that big of a deal, but my jurisdiction is only 33% MBE. Essays, by comparison, are 53%.
This was my biggest complaint, too. I feel extremely underprepared for the essays, but great about the MBE's. Taking it in CA doesn't make me feel much better

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

refinedwarrior

New

Post by refinedwarrior » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:56 pm

TommyK wrote:
fadedsunrise wrote:

Hahaha I was just telling someone I plan on all of the above and I'll prob get stumped on a bunch since I put more effort into MBE stuff. I'm taking VA's exam and used Themis. I know this is the Kaplan hangout. Good luck to all!

fadedsunrise

Bronze

Post by fadedsunrise » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:39 am

integralx2 wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
integralx2 wrote:
Isn't it /my/ friends? :wink:

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:43 am

Yes and no. I feel super prepared for the MBE, but I feel like my essay day is going to be an absolute disaster.

I'm already expecting to be right on the pass/fail border after Day 1.. and I'm going to try to bring it home on Day 2.

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:42 am

Agree with everyone else. I've been crushing MBEs, so hopefully I can continue that. Kaplan's essay program, OTOH was abysmal. I basically crafted my own syllabus. They really should have offered self-grading rubrics similar to Barbri, because their model answers were hardly helpful for analyzing how well you are doing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:44 am

robinhoodOO wrote:
integralx2 wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
integralx2 wrote:

I'm getting all fired up!

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:13 am

despina wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
integralx2 wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
integralx2 wrote:

*Touches glasses unnecessarily*

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:16 am

LAW813FL wrote:
despina wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
integralx2 wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
integralx2 wrote:

*Touches glasses unnecessarily*

Fromm & that guy from Texas, plus the FL Con Law/Essay Prep guy, are the only actual humans from Kaplan I'd be semi-interested in meeting IRL. Maybe Kermit Roosevelt for the Roosevelt factor.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:26 am

Geaux12 wrote:
Fromm & that guy from Texas, plus the FL Con Law/Essay Prep guy, are the only actual humans from Kaplan I'd be semi-interested in meeting IRL. Maybe Kermit Roosevelt for the Roosevelt factor.
Kermit was awesome. I loved his terrible jokes.

"Supreme court original jurisdiction is party-based. Certain parties start at the Supreme Court. Which parties start at the Supreme Court, you ask? John Roberts dance parties."

But I'm not sure why they had anybody do the lectures aside from Fromm. He's an effective teacher, knows the test better than a full-time law school professor, and it seems way more cost-effective than hiring half a dozen different professors.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”