Retakers--how are you faring motivating yourselves and trying to remember what you once knew? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
redblueyellow

Bronze

Retakers--how are you faring motivating yourselves and trying to remember what you once knew?

Post by redblueyellow » Thu May 28, 2015 12:34 am

As a retaker that's also working full time, I'm finding it difficult to get in the groove of studying again. I'm starting off with Civ Pro memorization/review/essays this time as my first subject and I'm looking at the flash cards I have and I have the following thoughts:

1. Everything looks familiar
2. Did I have this memorized before? I can't recall.
3. Is this important?

I have my old Kaplan books and my critical pass flashcards as well. I might sign up with Themis this time around, but I haven't made up my mind.

How is everyone working to hype themselves up and keep their heads in the game?

cndounda1985

New

Re: Retakers--how are you faring motivating yourselves and trying to remember what you once knew?

Post by cndounda1985 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:00 am

I'm remembering some stuff, but still need to review. I'm starting with the subjects I did worst on. I'm really trying to motivate myself, some days are better then others. I just started lol but still the thought of doing this all over again, gets the best of me at times. I paid for the exam today and it was utterly depressing. This time one of my mentors has me doing practice essays from the very beginning. I'm doing them open book for now until I get the law down. It's going ok, today is only Day 2. I just feel tired already and not looking forward to these next two months. I studied for almost four months for Feb 15 and still failed, so it def stings. Glad to know i'm not the only one struggling.

cndounda1985

New

Re: Retakers--how are you faring motivating yourselves and trying to remember what you once knew?

Post by cndounda1985 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:01 am

I forgot to add, I'm also working full time myself so I understand. I'm taking a quick break, but im already tired.

redblueyellow

Bronze

Post by redblueyellow » Thu May 28, 2015 1:08 am

cndounda1985 wrote:I'm remembering some stuff, but still need to review. I'm starting with the subjects I did worst on. I'm really trying to motivate myself, some days are better then others. I just started lol but still the thought of doing this all over again, gets the best of me at times. I paid for the exam today and it was utterly depressing. This time one of my mentors has me doing practice essays from the very beginning. I'm doing them open book for now until I get the law down. It's going ok, today is only Day 2. I just feel tired already and not looking forward to these next two months. I studied for almost four months for Feb 15 and still failed, so it def stings. Glad to know i'm not the only one struggling.
I wish you luck, dude. It's also nice to know that you're on "day 2." I've only just started as well and I don't know if I'll be able to keep this up. I'll be lucky to get a solid 4 hours each night, and 5 would be a luxury. I need to somehow adjust my schedule to get in more study hours, but after using up most of my leave with my employer for February, I don't think I'll get any time off except for the three days for the exam. And this time around, I need make sure I get more than 5-6 hours average of sleep (aiming for 7, but no idea how to make that happen realistically).

I think I'm going to put off paying until the last day or two. I can't afford (hah!) to look at that and my bank account right now.

I'm definitely going to be doing a lot more essays and PTs this time around for practice, although I'm still stumped where to get accurate (Kaplan and Barbri ones were not on point in my opinion for February) civ pro MBE questions.

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Thu May 28, 2015 9:55 am

Well I was really motivated the Monday after the results were published to the public Sunday. Got a call from a strange number on my cell, the voice said in a nasty condescending tone. . ."you failed the fucking bar" it was my ex competitive BF from LS. I Hung up right away because I know he wanted to measure his score against mine.

I was doing Adaptibar MBEs right away, outlining and writing practicing essays on the subjects I was familiar with. Like you two I'm also working, but I can get MBEs and and an essay squeezed in if I come early to the office. I go over them at lunch and do more after work. I never want to get a call like that or hear those words again. I just pray he's not at the same testing center as me in July since repeaters didn't have much to choose from.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Charger

Bronze

Post by Charger » Thu May 28, 2015 11:19 am

gaagoots wrote:Well I was really motivated the Monday after the results were published to the public Sunday. Got a call from a strange number on my cell, the voice said in a nasty condescending tone. . ."you failed the fucking bar" it was my ex competitive BF from LS. I Hung up right away because I know he wanted to measure his score against mine.

I was doing Adaptibar MBEs right away, outlining and writing practicing essays on the subjects I was familiar with. Like you two I'm also working, but I can get MBEs and and an essay squeezed in if I come early to the office. I go over them at lunch and do more after work. I never want to get a call like that or hear those words again. I just pray he's not at the same testing center as me in July since repeaters didn't have much to choose from.
Holy shit. What an ass.

Silver

Post by 2807 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:14 pm

gaagoots wrote:Well I was really motivated the Monday after the results were published to the public Sunday. Got a call from a strange number on my cell, the voice said in a nasty condescending tone. . ."you failed the fucking bar" it was my ex competitive BF from LS. I Hung up right away because I know he wanted to measure his score against mine.

Good Lord.

I will do anything I can to help you pass.

Sorry you had to deal with that.
He certainly has some serious low self esteem issues.

I do wish you the best of luck.
You can do this.
Relax and keep a good attitude.

morningcat

New

Post by morningcat » Thu May 28, 2015 10:48 pm

I was feeling very motivated last week, but after the three day break the studying has been moving at a snail's pace.

Yesterday I started a practice essay and felt a wave of anger and bitterness when I recognized the essay question. It can be tough realizing how much work and discipline you put into studying last time and how you have to do it all over again.

I've been trying to reframe my thinking and stay positive, but when I'm alone and have time to reflect...I think about how much of a failure I am and how much of a fucking nightmare it is to fail the bar twice.

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Thu May 28, 2015 11:40 pm

2807 wrote:

Good Lord.

You can do this.
Relax and keep a good attitude.
You are such a nice guy. Your sage advice has helped many lurkers and participants alike. Attitude is so important for repeaters and not to pull the blame game assuming graders for the bar are 'good cop/bad cop' (Lego movie) while grading our essays. They were spot on my guesstimate on my scores. I'm never ever taking shortcuts again assuming they won't test an area because they just tested it. I have to stop freaking out over the PTs and trying to make them e-filing perfect or get creative. I'm hoping it's doable without some $500 course that shows me they have the secret sauce ingredients to pass that portion. I watched the YouTube video of Vivian Dempsy and she scared me haha.

Don't judge me, I play USC's 'fight on' every time I want to slack :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RaiRai

New

Post by RaiRai » Fri May 29, 2015 1:37 am

Took it in July 2010. Kinda got depressed and didn't feel like retaking it until this year. I work full time. I have a wife and a son. Can't afford to pay for review classes or updated books so I only have my 2009 BarBri books. No resource to get current caselaw for Conlaw, CrimPro etc. or sample CivPro MBEs (save for the 10 sample questions on the NCBE website). Won't be able to take a leave from work until June 15. After that, no pay for 1.5 months while expenses continue to rack up (rent, everyday expenses, our 2 cars broke down recently). Read (but have not memorized) most of the multistate subjects. Reading contracts at the moment. Doing MBE's and outlining a few essays in between. Feeling the pressure more as June nears. So tired but i gotta press on...

underthirty

Bronze

Post by underthirty » Fri May 29, 2015 1:49 am

Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaiRai

New

Post by RaiRai » Fri May 29, 2015 1:59 am

underthirty wrote:
RaiRai wrote:...
Which exam are you taking?
Sorry, taking the CA bar.

Ritz13

New

Post by Ritz13 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:10 pm

redblueyellow wrote:As a retaker that's also working full time, I'm finding it difficult to get in the groove of studying again. I'm starting off with Civ Pro memorization/review/essays this time as my first subject and I'm looking at the flash cards I have and I have the following thoughts:

1. Everything looks familiar
2. Did I have this memorized before? I can't recall.
3. Is this important?

I have my old Kaplan books and my critical pass flashcards as well. I might sign up with Themis this time around, but I haven't made up my mind.

How is everyone working to hype themselves up and keep their heads in the game?
Hi...I not able to pass Feb 15 CBX. Took Themis and was working full time with family. However, like to accept that didn't prepare properly.
Now, going to redo everything. May need to change strategy. Any guidance from you or 2807 will be great. ritz13@live.com

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ritz13

New

Post by Ritz13 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:17 pm

Good Lord.

You can do this.
Relax and keep a good attitude.[/quote]

Hello 2807.......I followed your old posts recently after failing the CBX and found it to be useful. I handwrite the exam with Themis way which scrued by score a lot. Essays were 50,60, 60, 50, 55,55 and PT was 50, 50. Like ur views to fix this. Themis is having almost 2100 questions, I hope it will be good for this. However, how to approach this all in a proper way.

Will be great if you can share your thoughts.

cndounda1985

New

Post by cndounda1985 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:29 pm

morningcat wrote:I was feeling very motivated last week, but after the three day break the studying has been moving at a snail's pace.

Yesterday I started a practice essay and felt a wave of anger and bitterness when I recognized the essay question. It can be tough realizing how much work and discipline you put into studying last time and how you have to do it all over again.

I've been trying to reframe my thinking and stay positive, but when I'm alone and have time to reflect...I think about how much of a failure I am and how much of a fucking nightmare it is to fail the bar twice.

I'm right there with you...i had a baby melt down while doing a practice exam. I studied my ass off for Feb 15, but I decided feeling sorry for myself isn't going to get me anywhere. I REFUSE to take this exam again..I'm going to do whatever i can to PASS. Cheer up.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Sat May 30, 2015 2:29 pm

I unfortunately didn't pass the Feb bar, failed by 10 points. I got my essay scores back and it makes zero sense. They're so random, I have no clue which scores actually belongs to which essay. It's too late for me to get my essays from the bar people so I'm screwed on that end. I still can't believe I failed to be honest. I went home thinking that was the best exam I'd ever taken.

I did some research and decided to go with Adaptibar this time since my MBE was weak. I've discovered you can know the BLL and still shit the bed on the MBE. Instead of just going through the problems this time to hit some benchmark I'm gonna really try and analyze each one and figure out where I went wrong or what is wrong with my thinking. On the Feb bar I finished each MBE section with about 30 minutes left; maybe this time I'll slow down and figure out where the tricks are.

Good luck to everyone.

morningcat

New

Post by morningcat » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:23 pm

cndounda1985 wrote:
I'm right there with you...i had a baby melt down while doing a practice exam. I studied my ass off for Feb 15, but I decided feeling sorry for myself isn't going to get me anywhere. I REFUSE to take this exam again..I'm going to do whatever i can to PASS. Cheer up.
Totally agree! We can only move forward from here! I try to remind myself that I'm very lucky to be given the chance to take the test and I only need to pass one time to be successful.

RaiRai

New

Post by RaiRai » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:43 am

morningcat wrote:
cndounda1985 wrote:
Totally agree! We can only move forward from here! I try to remind myself that I'm very lucky to be given the chance to take the test and I only need to pass one time to be successful.
I read this today:

Winners don't quit;
Quitters don't win.

Press on!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”