Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Young Marino

Silver

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by Young Marino » Mon May 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Nice.. I am 5 days in. Hitting around 50% pretty consistently on mbe questions taking an mbe diagnostic this weekend

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:07 pm

Licensed in another state for the past 3 years. Taking Themis and studying full time.
Also have the Kaplan "red book"
Started at the beginning of May

I'm scared shitless about this exam. I've been hearing horror stories of the horrible passage rates recently, especially for those not right out of law school.

Oh and property sucks. Worst..subject..ever

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue May 23, 2017 6:40 pm

robin600 wrote:Licensed in another state for the past 3 years. Taking Themis and studying full time.

I'm scared shitless about this exam. I've been hearing horror stories of the horrible passage rates recently, especially for those not right out of law school.

Yea that is def my weakest subject. I hit the property early start lectures yesterday as a result and faired much better on the property mbe questions. Yes the passage rates have been falling but if I'm not mistaken, they are still around 60% so at least we have a better than 50-50 shot at passing.. Right??

Tzhs

New

Post by Tzhs » Wed May 24, 2017 5:57 am

robin600 wrote:Licensed in another state for the past 3 years. Taking Themis and studying full time.

Actually, the first time pass rates for lawyers already licensed in other states who are taking the Florida bar is substantially higher than the first time pass rates for graduates of Florida law schools. The fact that you passed a bar someplace already likely means that if nothing else, you have decent test taking skills. And that is apparently what gets most previously admitted in other state Florida test takes over the hump.

law9871

New

Post by law9871 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:20 am

I highly recommend the Critical Pass MBE Flashcards (it comes with the app for free) as a supplement for your bar course. I found it helpful for learning black letter law and studying on the go. If you are interested I can send you 10$ off if you email 2017barexam@gmail.com.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:56 am

Sweet!

Random character and fitness question but how long does it usually take to process that in FL anyone know? I sent my app in april so I'm hoping if I pass I can get sworn in when results come out.
Tzhs wrote:

Actually, the first time pass rates for lawyers already licensed in other states who are taking the Florida bar is substantially higher than the first time pass rates for graduates of Florida law schools. The fact that you passed a bar someplace already likely means that if nothing else, you have decent test taking skills. And that is apparently what gets most previously admitted in other state Florida test takes over the hump.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Sun May 28, 2017 2:35 pm

robin600 wrote:Sweet!

Random character and fitness question but how long does it usually take to process that in FL anyone know? I sent my app in april so I'm hoping if I pass I can get sworn in when results come out.

They will have it done before results come back, unless there are issues. 3-6 months is the general timeline, if they don't require a hearing.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Sun May 28, 2017 2:37 pm

law9871 wrote:I highly recommend the Critical Pass MBE Flashcards (it comes with the app for free) as a supplement for your bar course. I found it helpful for learning black letter law and studying on the go. If you are interested I can send you 10$ off if you email 2017barexam@gmail.com.
how are these cards different than just memorizing your outlines?

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sun May 28, 2017 9:11 pm

I think just doing Barbri mbe questions and taking the time to actually go through each response even when gwtting the question right is a great method.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sgd19

New

Post by sgd19 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:49 pm

Is there a good resource for doing Florida MCs beyond using BarBri or Themis? Looking for a cheaper alternative. :cry:

RC76

New

Post by RC76 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:33 pm

I am also licensed in another state and submitted my application/character/fitness in February. If it helps I just got my letter stating I was approved.

robin600 wrote:Sweet!

Tzhs wrote:

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue May 30, 2017 6:18 pm

sgd19 wrote:Is there a good resource for doing Florida MCs beyond using BarBri or Themis? Looking for a cheaper alternative. :cry:
I've heard good things about Adaptibar

sgd19

New

Post by sgd19 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:06 pm

Young Marino wrote:
sgd19 wrote:Is there a good resource for doing Florida MCs beyond using BarBri or Themis? Looking for a cheaper alternative. :cry:
Adaptibar only has the MBE questions. I was looking for the Florida specific MCQs

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:24 pm

I've heard people talk about celebration bar prep for florida MC questions. They are on amazon. I haven't used them personally.

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Property is awful. Luckily for me I am really good at civ pro, to hopefully make up for lost property points.

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:59 pm

sgd19 wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
Adaptibar only has the MBE questions. I was looking for the Florida specific MCQs
This Florida exam is quite confusing to me. It seems that the 100 MCQ's that they will ask will be the same questions as the MBE, only some of them will be Florida specific where Florida law is applicable. So, it seems to me that a good amount of the Florida MCQ's will merely be MBE questions. Similarly, some of the Florida essays will be the same thing as UBE essays, as Florida law is not applicable to every subject.

Making Florida's exam like this seems like a bad move, in that it is more important for people to learn something about how to write about the law then how to fill in 300 bubbles. This just makes it obvious that the exam isn't trying to teach attorney's new things and is merely a barrier to becoming a lawyer. Still, for some reason I still believe that I have a better chance at passing this exam than the UBE, as you can potentially screw up on the essays and still pass. :twisted:

I am also looking for some more Florida MCQ's with sample answers btw (other than the ones on the web site). If anyone is aware of any good ones let me know.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:43 pm

WTF DOES FLORIDA'S CONSTITUTION SAYZ?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:54 pm

robin600 wrote:WTF DOES FLORIDA'S CONSTITUTION SAYZ?
Guess we'll find out soon enough... I noticed you are MSU alumni taking the FL bar... Jared? Is that you?

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:29 am

How's studying going for everyone?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:09 pm

Young Marino wrote:
Guess we'll find out soon enough... I noticed you are MSU alumni taking the FL bar... Jared? Is that you?
I'm a female so I don't think I'm Jared. :D MSU for undergrad. Out of law school for 3 years and licensed in another state, but just accepted another job in Florida. The last bar I took was definitely not this bad :(

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:20 pm

robin600 wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
I'm a female so I don't think I'm Jared. :D MSU for undergrad. Out of law school for 3 years and licensed in another state, but just accepted another job in Florida. The last bar I took was definitely not this bad :(
I am in the same boat. I swear it is much harder this time around.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:23 pm

How many hours per day are you guys roughly putting? For me it's about 6-7 hours with 1 full day off per week so roughly 36-42 hours per week. Wondering if I'm doing too little.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Young Marino wrote:How many hours per day are you guys roughly putting? For me it's about 6-7 hours with 1 full day off per week so roughly 36-42 hours per week. Wondering if I'm doing too little.
About the same number of hours per week.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:14 pm

Young Marino wrote:How many hours per day are you guys roughly putting? For me it's about 6-7 hours with 1 full day off per week so roughly 36-42 hours per week. Wondering if I'm doing too little.
As long as you retain the material and understand it, it doesn't matter. AKA - I breezed through crim law, crim pro, and evidence because I have been a practicing defense attorney. I probably spent 8-10 hour days trying to learn property.

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:15 pm

robin600 wrote:
As long as you retain the material and understand it, it doesn't matter. AKA - I breezed through crim law, crim pro, and evidence because I have been a practicing defense attorney. I probably spent 8-10 hour days trying to learn property.
Florida property, or normal property??? :cry:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”