Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ast52017

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by ast52017 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:31 am

johngotti wrote:
ast52017 wrote:I think they release scores on September 17.

I am still waiting on C&F clearance as well, and I have heard some horror stories re: delays. I sent my app in beginning of April and just received a request for additional information, which I sent back ASAP. Has anyone else received such requests? I am a little concerned about how long my C&F is taking...
I sent mine in at the end of January and got cleared late August but I had stuff including an arrest. They requested additional info multiple times, as long as you get it to them asap it's fine.
That's good to know. I have some past financial mistakes that are moderately serious but nothing as severe as bankruptcy or judgments. It's all paid off, and I disclosed all of it, but it's still worrying me. Did you provide any circumstantial evidence to establish your C&F beyond what they requested?

worrisome

New

Post by worrisome » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Not sure if anyone has had experience/can answer this question. I received a letter of warning from the florida bar around August 13th saying my application will be stale if I don't pass this time around and that I will have to reapply. Two of my friends who are also on the same boat as me did not receive this letter (we graduated the same year and applied the same time). Now i'm freaking out that I received the letter of warning because I didn't pass and my two friends did pass and that's why they didn't receive the same letter? I've been stressing out for weeks over this and I know i'll find out either way on Monday but just wanted to know if anyone else had the same experience and ended up passing?

FLBAR0718

New

Post by FLBAR0718 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:44 pm

worrisome wrote:Not sure if anyone has had experience/can answer this question. I received a letter of warning from the florida bar around August 13th saying my application will be stale if I don't pass this time around and that I will have to reapply. Two of my friends who are also on the same boat as me did not receive this letter (we graduated the same year and applied the same time). Now i'm freaking out that I received the letter of warning because I didn't pass and my two friends did pass and that's why they didn't receive the same letter? I've been stressing out for weeks over this and I know i'll find out either way on Monday but just wanted to know if anyone else had the same experience and ended up passing?
When did you graduate? Seems strange. I don’t think the bar results and any communications from the board are correlated though.

staygolden

New

Post by staygolden » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Out of the three FL essays, which do you all think felt tougher?

My money is on Fed Con Law (shocker) with Dependency as a close second.

worrisome

New

Post by worrisome » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:15 pm

FLBAR0718 wrote:
worrisome wrote:Not sure if anyone has had experience/can answer this question. I received a letter of warning from the florida bar around August 13th saying my application will be stale if I don't pass this time around and that I will have to reapply. Two of my friends who are also on the same boat as me did not receive this letter (we graduated the same year and applied the same time). Now i'm freaking out that I received the letter of warning because I didn't pass and my two friends did pass and that's why they didn't receive the same letter? I've been stressing out for weeks over this and I know i'll find out either way on Monday but just wanted to know if anyone else had the same experience and ended up passing?
When did you graduate? Seems strange. I don’t think the bar results and any communications from the board are correlated though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

worrisome

New

Post by worrisome » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:18 pm

FLBAR0718 wrote:
I graduated May 2016 but took some time off. I just think it's really strange I got this letter and nobody else did.

FLBAR0718

New

Post by FLBAR0718 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Do the results come out at midnight? Morning? Night? Very anxious about tomorrow

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:19 pm

9 to 10 am tomorrow morning. Most likely 9am.

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:57 am

I failed for the 6th time.... I spent 10s of thousands of dollars on this exam and I ran out of money... Thank you FL Bar for ensuring my failure in life, thank you for ensuring I will always be in debt, thank you for this horrible "entrance exam" you hold dear to your heart. Im sure I have another negative 50 point curve....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:42 am

Passed on both sections. 2/2. No more bars for me.

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:58 am

I just passed both parts this time around after over a year of studying. For those who did not pass, I recommend working on your weakest areas. Use the percentages provided in your scores as a guideline. From what I read in some other threads, the average MBE score was one of the lowest in over 30 years.

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:16 am

Congratulations.... I hate you.... what did you use to study?

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:35 am

Didn't pass and looks like I'll retake in February. I'll have a better grasp of stuff next time but disheartening to say the least.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ast52017

New

Post by ast52017 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:49 am

Passed both parts, and used BarBri. I know that people have their issues with BarBri (and the price tag), and I was cursing them for feeling ill-prepared after the exam, but it works. Just my $.02

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:30 pm

yennem wrote:I failed for the 6th time.... I spent 10s of thousands of dollars on this exam and I ran out of money... Thank you FL Bar for ensuring my failure in life, thank you for ensuring I will always be in debt, thank you for this horrible "entrance exam" you hold dear to your heart. Im sure I have another negative 50 point curve....
It is a tad ridiculous. Every taker must study (potentially for years) for the Bar, which is all that matters to practice, which then begs the question why is law school even necessary? A's in every class, thousands of hours of work, etc is all irrelevant if you don't test well on this 1-2 day exam.

FLBAR0718

New

Post by FLBAR0718 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:17 pm

I PASSED! Only took Part A because I transferred on my MBE. Originally regretted not taking both since my MBE the first and second time around (other states) were high, but very relieved now that I found out.

I used Themis and it was very good. I would recommend.

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:33 pm

not guilty wrote:
yennem wrote:I failed for the 6th time.... I spent 10s of thousands of dollars on this exam and I ran out of money... Thank you FL Bar for ensuring my failure in life, thank you for ensuring I will always be in debt, thank you for this horrible "entrance exam" you hold dear to your heart. Im sure I have another negative 50 point curve....
It is a tad ridiculous. Every taker must study (potentially for years) for the Bar, which is all that matters to practice, which then begs the question why is law school even necessary? A's in every class, thousands of hours of work, etc is all irrelevant if you don't test well on this 1-2 day exam.
So is the LSAT or even your law school GPA. One could ask their lawyer relative or friend for answers about every subject in law school, yet those that don't have a lawyer in their family have to figure it out themselves. For the LSAT, someone with a 2.0 college GPA and a 170 lsat could get a free ride scholarship, whereas someone who busted their ass in college with a 3.5 GPA and got a crap score on the LSAT won't get accepted to law school anywhere. Graduate school GPA is not even taken into consideration!! In conclusion, yes, it is ridiculous.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:16 pm

So I should get a somewhat detailed score report tomorrow or Wednesday correct?

FuturePanhandler

Silver

Post by FuturePanhandler » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:45 am

not guilty wrote:
I suspect it’s extremely rare that someone who did well in law school and put in “thousands of hours” of studying for the bar fails the bar

staygolden

New

Post by staygolden » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:50 am

First time taker here. Passed both parts and will be sworn in tonight. I used Barbri. #F1ULaw

FWIW... My lsat was plain terrible. I busted my butt off this summer doing ~2500 Adaptibar Questions as a supplement to Barbri and it truly paid off. I finished about 65% of Barbri’s course and did Adaptibar religiously the last two weeks.

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:04 am

On a related note, I got another follow-up letter from the Florida Bar on some stupid stuff (like whether I was employed by this charity where I volunteered). Not sure why they're asking me about it since I included it in my PRIOR CHARACTER AND FITNESS APPLICATION, but they're still looking at stuff.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alphadog15

New

Post by alphadog15 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:15 am

Found out yesterday that I passed. Huge relief. I am an out of state practicing attorney already admitted in two other states, so not a lot on the bar was a surprise to me except perhaps for the Civ Pro questions on the MBE. I used Themis and cannot recommend them enough, especially for those of you who, like me, have to work fulltime with a toddler at home. Themis did a really great job in preparing me for the exam.

Congrats on your passing- how are you getting admitted so fast? I believe I can get sworn in before a notary where I work, but I have to wait for a letter to arrive in the mail. I see various schools are offering an induction ceremony today for the passers, so just curious how you and the schools manage to get to it so fast.
staygolden wrote:First time taker here. Passed both parts and will be sworn in tonight. I used Barbri. #F1ULaw

FWIW... My lsat was plain terrible. I busted my butt off this summer doing ~2500 Adaptibar Questions as a supplement to Barbri and it truly paid off. I finished about 65% of Barbri’s course and did Adaptibar religiously the last two weeks.

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:52 pm

staygolden wrote:First time taker here. Passed both parts and will be sworn in tonight. I used Barbri. #F1ULaw

I did the same thing. Out of state test taker here and I used adaptibar with a couple books I bought on ebay (S & T). I did every adaptibar question. There were over 1900 questions. In order to get to the last few questions I had to keep making custom exams and eventually I was able to answer every question. I answered over 70% correct, also and would have been qualified for a free adaptibar retake had I not used that program before. This time around, one thing I did differently with adaptibar is answer 30 questions a day (no less than that). Every night or morning before I answered my next 30 questions I printed out only the ones I got wrong and went over them with a pen. At some point in my prep, I started doing timed practice exams with 65 questions and then printed out the ones I got wrong only. Then I eventually did a 100 question set. Near the last couple weeks I did 200 questions just like a full mbe. Then when I ran out of adaptibar questions I used S&T. I answered every question in that book as well.

Also, the pass rate this time around was 67.2% for first time test takers. Last year it was 71.3% So, those of us who passed this time around obviously took a more difficult exam. I do think the essays were more difficult last year though.

staygolden

New

Post by staygolden » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:16 pm

alphadog15 wrote:Found out yesterday that I passed. Huge relief. I am an out of state practicing attorney already admitted in two other states, so not a lot on the bar was a surprise to me except perhaps for the Civ Pro questions on the MBE. I used Themis and cannot recommend them enough, especially for those of you who, like me, have to work fulltime with a toddler at home. Themis did a really great job in preparing me for the exam.

Congrats on your passing- how are you getting admitted so fast? I believe I can get sworn in before a notary where I work, but I have to wait for a letter to arrive in the mail. I see various schools are offering an induction ceremony today for the passers, so just curious how you and the schools manage to get to it so fast.

FIU Law hosts a swearing in ceremony the Tuesday after bar results come out. Thankfully they have judges and copies of the Oath for us available.

It’s exciting!!!

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:31 pm

Derek Vinyard wrote:

I did the same thing. Out of state test taker here and I used adaptibar with a couple books I bought on ebay (S & T). I did every adaptibar question. There were over 1900 questions. In order to get to the last few questions I had to keep making custom exams and eventually I was able to answer every question. I answered over 70% correct, also and would have been qualified for a free adaptibar retake had I not used that program before. This time around, one thing I did differently with adaptibar is answer 30 questions a day (no less than that). Every night or morning before I answered my next 30 questions I printed out only the ones I got wrong and went over them with a pen. At some point in my prep, I started doing timed practice exams with 65 questions and then printed out the ones I got wrong only. Then I eventually did a 100 question set. Near the last couple weeks I did 200 questions just like a full mbe. Then when I ran out of adaptibar questions I used S&T. I answered every question in that book as well.

Also, the pass rate this time around was 67.2% for first time test takers. Last year it was 71.3% So, those of us who passed this time around obviously took a more difficult exam. I do think the essays were more difficult last year though.
There are some big YoY differences. Like compare the pass rate for practicing attorneys. That group has a bigger age range, and everyone in it already passed a bar exam somewhere else, so it seems like it should have less YoY variation. This year, the passage rate was 68.2%. Last July, it was 77.4%. July 2016 was 68.9%, and July 2015 was 69.6%. Maybe last year was easier than normal.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”