Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
SaiyanRose

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by SaiyanRose » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:38 am

Brit0512 wrote:I unfortunately failed with a 131/137. Now at this point it’s like well I passed MBE but barely passed it seems, so I’m struggling with should I just take FL over or try for overall method. At first I was just thinking to take Part A over because I can honestly stay I didn’t go over enough essays AT ALL and know if I would have I would have done better on them if I had focused even just the slightest more on them and maybe actually had looked at Family Law more than a second. I can easily say that I know that FL family law/dependancy essay screwed me because I’m sure like others I was not expecting it. I scored well over the mean for essay 1 and right around the mean for essay three but extremely below for the family law/dependancy one. My m/c was right at the mean for everthing except for evidence :| My raw score was a 149.5 for part A and I’m wondering is everyone scaled down the same amount of points. Can people post how many points their score went down by, because I’m curious if everyone gets scaled down differently.
Doesn't make any sense to me to retake the MBE. You were 5 points away from passing FL. Get those 5 points from FL Civ Pro and FL Crim Pro. Take the time to study for one test only and I'm sure you'll be better prepared for any essay they throw at you and you will pass for sure.

Marslunar12

New

Post by Marslunar12 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:43 am

Brit0512 wrote:I unfortunately failed with a 131/137. Now at this point it’s like well I passed MBE but barely passed it seems, so I’m struggling with should I just take FL over or try for overall method. At first I was just thinking to take Part A over because I can honestly stay I didn’t go over enough essays AT ALL and know if I would have I would have done better on them if I had focused even just the slightest more on them and maybe actually had looked at Family Law more than a second. I can easily say that I know that FL family law/dependancy essay screwed me because I’m sure like others I was not expecting it. I scored well over the mean for essay 1 and right around the mean for essay three but extremely below for the family law/dependancy one. My m/c was right at the mean for everthing except for evidence :| My raw score was a 149.5 for part A and I’m wondering is everyone scaled down the same amount of points. Can people post how many points their score went down by, because I’m curious if everyone gets scaled down differently.

My raw score for part A was 174.5 — scaled to 135. Failed :/

MustpassBar

New

Post by MustpassBar » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:10 pm

My raw score for part A was a 164.5 and got scaled down to a failing 132.

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:27 pm

So MBE only scales up but Florida scales down?

What's the point of that?

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:24 pm

I still haven't gotten my scores yet in Tampa....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SoFlolawyer

New

Post by SoFlolawyer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:29 pm

MustpassBar wrote:
In my humble opinion, just do Florida. The essays are where you can pick up a lot of points. My students pass the Florida bar after failing with the other courses, some failing multiple times. People get frustrated after failing the bar, because they KNOW they put in the work, really studied hard... But, I tell everyone to change how they view the bar exam. It is not a test of how good of an attorney you will be, or how much law you know. It is a test of how well you recognize the prompts in their essays, and whether or not you answer them how they want you to answer. You need to practice and prepare for the Florida bar, to spot prompts and answer in the manner they like.I teach students all of those prompts, and tell you how to answer them...

SoFlolawyer

New

Post by SoFlolawyer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:34 pm

:oops:
MustpassBar wrote:
In my humble opinion, just do Florida. The essays are where you can pick up a lot of points. My students pass the Florida bar after failing with the other courses, some failing multiple times. People get frustrated after failing the bar, because they KNOW they put in the work, really studied hard... But, I tell everyone to change how they view the bar exam. It is not a test of how good of an attorney you will be, or how much law you know. It is a test of how well you recognize the prompts in their essays, and whether or not you answer them how they want you to answer. You need to practice and prepare for the Florida bar, to spot prompts and answer in the manner they like.I teach students all of those prompts, and tell you how to answer them...

paul554

New

Post by paul554 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:26 pm

This was my second bar, first one being in a UBE state a little over two years ago. I do federal work so I did not need to pass the FL bar to continue working, but my wife took a transfer to FL and it's where we plan to settle down so there is obviously a benefit to being licensed in the state. I did no studying for this exam other then reviewing some prior exam questions on my flight to Tampa the day before the exam. For my last bar exam I used Themis, which I loved, and basically I just applied the common law to any question I was unsure of on the Florida section. I passed the exam with the following scores:

Section A: 136
Section B: 147

Now I just have to take the MPRE since my last score was from over three years ago.

My advice for those who did not pass is honestly to take a step back and relax a little. I ran into several repeat takers at the convention center who were studying minutes before the exam and trying to still memorize certain rules. I know the pressure can be immense, but this type of over studying probably just builds onto the stress more than anything. Personally, I found that three beers from the sail restaurant during the lunch breaks helped calm my nerves, but that might not be recommended for everyone!

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:28 pm

If you failed FL and want to know more about the scale, I can figure it out (and make a score calculator) if a few more failing FL examinees send me their score info:
https://seperac.com/scoreform-FL.php

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mike241

New

Post by mike241 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:27 am

two questions: if you pass, you only get the Part A and Part B scores, right? There is no further breakdown of your score?
Also, is there any way to find out about percentiles?
thanks

mike241

New

Post by mike241 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:37 am

two questions: if you pass, you only get the Part A and Part B scores, right? There is no further breakdown of your score?
thanks

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:33 am

To any J18 FL failers, I believe I've made an accurate J18 score calculator for the Florida exam, but I need some other J18 FL scores to test it. Out of all the calculators I have tried to make, this one is by far the most difficult because the Part A scores sometimes seemingly follow a reverse scale. Also, if you happen to know anyone else who failed J18 in Florida and doesn’t mind submitting their info, please ask them to fill out the form:

Once I can confirm this calculator is accurate, you can use it to understand your Part A scores. One major benefit from this is that you will know how exactly much the Florida MC are worth versus the Florida essays (they are NOT worth the same). This will allow you to better allocate your study-time based on how much each area is expected to contribute to your total score.

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:19 am

JoeSeperac wrote:To any J18 FL failers, I believe I've made an accurate J18 score calculator for the Florida exam, but I need some other J18 FL scores to test it. Out of all the calculators I have tried to make, this one is by far the most difficult because the Part A scores sometimes seemingly follow a reverse scale. Also, if you happen to know anyone else who failed J18 in Florida and doesn’t mind submitting their info, please ask them to fill out the form:

Once I can confirm this calculator is accurate, you can use it to understand your Part A scores. One major benefit from this is that you will know how exactly much the Florida MC are worth versus the Florida essays (they are NOT worth the same). This will allow you to better allocate your study-time based on how much each area is expected to contribute to your total score.

I will once I get my breakdown.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tony48

New

Post by Tony48 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:07 pm

mike241 wrote:two questions: if you pass, you only get the Part A and Part B scores, right? There is no further breakdown of your score?
thanks
I passed (July 2017) and they only gave me my scores for A & B.

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:17 pm

yennem wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:To any J18 FL failers, I believe I've made an accurate J18 score calculator for the Florida exam, but I need some other J18 FL scores to test it. Out of all the calculators I have tried to make, this one is by far the most difficult because the Part A scores sometimes seemingly follow a reverse scale. Also, if you happen to know anyone else who failed J18 in Florida and doesn’t mind submitting their info, please ask them to fill out the form:

I will once I get my breakdown.
FL 135 (raw 156.5)
Mbe 130

SoFlolawyer

New

Post by SoFlolawyer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:11 am

Deng890 wrote:Stats

Part A: 152
Part B: 170

Still in shock at my MBE score, thought I had totally screwed the pooch on that one. Maybe I should quit practicing law and become an MBE tutor.
You could do both. How did you prepare for the MBE?

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:21 pm

To anyone taking F19 in Florida, I made a calculator that will estimate your Part A Scaled Score for the July 2018 and February 2018 Florida bar exam administrations based on the individual Part A scores you enter. February 2019 Florida examinees can use the F18 calculator to test various scoring scenarios and estimate their upcoming exam performance (the F19 scale should be similar to the F18 scale).

https://ubeessays.com/florida-part-a-score-calculator/

While I am certain of the results of my other bar calculators, I am not 100% certain about this calculator. Out of all the bar score calculators I have made, this one is by far the most difficult because the Part A scores sometimes seem to follow a reverse scale. Accordingly, if you receive an incorrect result, please submit your scores to me using the following form:

As an incentive to FL examinees to fill out this form, I will tell you how much the Florida essays are worth as compared to the Florida multiple choice (they are NOT worth the same). Examinees can use this information to properly allocate their study-time based on how much each area is expected to contribute to the total score.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alphadog15

New

Post by alphadog15 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:25 pm

I took the Themis Florida bar review course, and followed the syllabus (more or less) by completing about 84% of the total course. That corresponded to about 1500 MBE practice questions.

I work full time, so I skipped a full reading of the outlines and mainly stuck to the lectures. Only reviewed outlines when essential.

SoFlolawyer wrote:
Deng890 wrote:Stats

Part A: 152
Part B: 170

Still in shock at my MBE score, thought I had totally screwed the pooch on that one. Maybe I should quit practicing law and become an MBE tutor.
You could do both. How did you prepare for the MBE?

Marslunar12

New

Post by Marslunar12 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:59 pm

I am looking to take Part b first — failed by 5 points July 2018. What program would everyone recommend?

fltoca

New

Post by fltoca » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Anyone else pass the FL Bar last month and still waiting on character & fitness clearance?

FL: 135
MBE: 161
Barbri, Adaptibar, and Em S&T (and Critical Pass from time to time)

ast52017

New

Post by ast52017 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:54 am

fltoca wrote:Anyone else pass the FL Bar last month and still waiting on character & fitness clearance?

I am :( I don't know what your post-bar letter from the BOBE said, but mine confirmed that I didn't have anything outstanding at that point and that my application would be given priority. However, it stated that this was because I had sent in my application less than 6 months before (it has now been about 7 months), so hopefully it's just a matter of time. I have also been advised by attorneys at my job to sit back and wait because it will likely take the full 8 months, or maybe even more, to get the authorization at this point :/

Good luck, and hope you get your authorization soon!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fltoca

New

Post by fltoca » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:49 am

ast52017 wrote:
fltoca wrote:Anyone else pass the FL Bar last month and still waiting on character & fitness clearance?

I am :( I don't know what your post-bar letter from the BOBE said, but mine confirmed that I didn't have anything outstanding at that point and that my application would be given priority. However, it stated that this was because I had sent in my application less than 6 months before (it has now been about 7 months), so hopefully it's just a matter of time. I have also been advised by attorneys at my job to sit back and wait because it will likely take the full 8 months, or maybe even more, to get the authorization at this point :/

Yep, my post-bar letter said the same. Nothing outstanding and would be given priority. My application is officially 6 months today so I guess I still have a bit more time to go. Hopefully by the end of this year! Good luck to you as well!

kiadak231

New

Post by kiadak231 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:39 pm

fltoca wrote:
ast52017 wrote:

Yep, my post-bar letter said the same. Nothing outstanding and would be given priority. My application is officially 6 months today so I guess I still have a bit more time to go. Hopefully by the end of this year! Good luck to you as well!
Same letter here. I requested an update three weeks ago today and have heard nothing. I hit 8 months on the 29th and just have no clue what is going on.

fltoca

New

Post by fltoca » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:40 pm

kiadak231 wrote:
fltoca wrote:
ast52017 wrote:

Same letter here. I requested an update three weeks ago today and have heard nothing. I hit 8 months on the 29th and just have no clue what is going on.
Have you heard back on your request for an update? I was thinking of writing a letter requesting the same but am a little discouraged since you haven't heard back. Originally, I was hoping to receive clearance before Thanksgiving but it's looking like I should adjust those expectations into 2019. I doubt too much is getting done between now and the end of the year.

Knazzaro

New

Post by Knazzaro » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Can anyone tell me where I can find more practice FL multiple choice questions? I am using Themis and I’ve already gone through almost all of theirs. I’m more than willing to spend money to get some I just can’t seem to find any

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”