Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
johngotti

Bronze

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by johngotti » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:26 pm

Part A Means
Essay 1 (FL Con Law/Professionalism) - 38.7
Essay 2 (Real Property) - 30.5
Essay 3 (Crim Law/Const'l Crim Procedure/Juv Delinquency/FL Con Law/Evidence) - 50.8
MC 1 (FL Rules Civil and Crim Procedure) - 17.5
MC 2 (FL Evidence) - 17.3
MC 3 (FL Wills) - 17.7

Passed the MBE with a 137, failed FL with a 122

JustPass

New

Post by JustPass » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Hi John. I was getting the same score on my first 4 exams in the FL MC. They are hard and worded kind of strange. I literally did the Celebration FLorida Specific MC book. It’s cheap. I bought mine on Amazon. It made a ton of difference for me and this time I didn’t have to multi-guess in the questions. I know they are not the most pleasant or interesting questions, but a few more correct, will make a huge difference. Again, I am sorry this happened to you again, because It’s like reliving the damn thing over after getting the score report. When this happened to me, I was so upset that I didn’t even want to look at the report and when I ordered my essays, I was so upset, because I can see where I messed up and worked off of those by rewriting them and seeing the difference.

JustPass

New

Post by JustPass » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:10 pm

If anyone wants to discuss and talk my email address is: VGR74@outlook.com

I totally get it, sometimes it’s easier to discuss in private. Hope I can help everyone here! Don’t ever stop pursuing your dream. I did, even after getting academically dismissed from law schools in my past, before I actually graduated. So, sitting for the bar and finally passing the 5th time was a huge accomplishment for me and I believe in all of you! I never quit after being academically dismissed and no one should quit taking this exam, until you succeed.

wyoming92

New

Post by wyoming92 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:28 pm

Anyone able to find the forms to sign and mail to swear in? My judge wants to do it tomorrow and the letter still hasn’t arrived in Miami.

JustPass

New

Post by JustPass » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:37 pm

No letters in Boca Raton either. Hopefully we get it tomorrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FloridaLawyer2B

New

Post by FloridaLawyer2B » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:05 pm

I haven't gotten my results in the mail either. I live in Cape Coral/Fort Myers area.

I have booked my hotel at the Waterside for February. Going to retake the MBE since I passed Part A. I really hope third times a charm :cry:

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:25 pm

johngotti wrote:Part A Means
Essay 3 (Crim Law/Const'l Crim Procedure/Juv Delinquency/FL Con Law/Evidence) - 50.8
MC 3 (FL Wills) - 17.7

122 is too low. I agree that 17's on the MC, mixed with 2 below average essays isn't passing, but it is not 122 low. You need to take both parts in Feb., just at the small chance you (unknowingly) score a 135 on Part A and can use a small MBE bump.

New

Post by 0134580 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:41 pm

I feel so sad for the people who failed...i know i left that room feeling like i failed. My MBE scaled score was 160. Honestly, i was praying for a 136...I am not a good test taker at all! My LSAT score was a 140! But since i know I am not a great test taker, i started studying early. I started in April and i was not working.I used themis and completed about 50ish percent. I used it more so to start me off because i had no idea how to start studying for the bar. But, after a while i realized what worked for me. Im an outline person, i hate flashcards lol. Also, I would rarely listen to any of the lectures but i would read the outlines, all 100 pages, and then make my own. Also, a lot of the material did not make sense, so i also read the emmanuel outlines for deeper understanding. That to ME was life.Because these bar prep companies give you the rule and youre suppose to memorize it, even if you dont understand the rule. I struggle to memorize anything that doesnt make sense to me. So the emmanuel outline breaks it down. So i guess you can say i was basically reading 2 outlines per subject, lol. Was it hard? yes. Was it time consuming? yes. Did i learn and understand the material? yes. Also, i had adaptibar, so when i felt confident enough in a subject i would proceed to do MCQ, but ONLY in that subject. And i would NOT move on until i was averaging about 75 percent right. But again, i started early and had the luxury of time. Also, I'd read the explanation of the ones i got right and the ones i got wrong. After a while, the wrong answers just seem to stand out...But, this is what i did and it worked for me. Best of luck

mystikal

New

Post by mystikal » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:20 am

ELerner wrote:
0134580 wrote:
OMG! Mood! i applied 2 years ago and they continue to ask me for, and about bullshit. They ALWAYS have an additional question about the same bullshit. Why didnt i pay my credit card bills on time while in law school? Because i wasnt fucking working and i didnt have any fucking money!! Sorry for being a fckn poor student?! ok, end rant :roll:
I hear you!
2 years after passing? That is nonsense...I passed back in Feb 2019 and sent over my application, havent received anything until yesterday. Basically an admission status report, indicating that processing of my application stated less than 6 months ago....I hope it does not take that long. Two of my peers that passed around the same time already received their clearance a couple weeks ago, and was able to swear in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

allymariee19

New

Post by allymariee19 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:21 am

2nd time taker here. First time I did horrible on MBE, which I already suspected I would. Was able to pull a 145 on FL and still failed by 5 points lol

July 2019 - did way worse on FL but brought up MBE by over 12 points. Failed by 4 points.
Next time, Feb 2020 I am only taking MBE. I cannot do FL again it is brutal.

Going to hire a private Tutor. Heddy Muransky. Is anyone familiar with her?

I also did use adaptibar and barbri both times around.

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:57 am

How do the florida essays compare with those on the MEE of the UBE??? I only took florida so far, but I want to take the MEE in another state and transfer. How bad are the MEE essays compared to the florida essays??? Also, for those who took the bar in 2 jurisdictions, how bad are the MPT essays?

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:38 pm

wyoming92 wrote:Anyone able to find the forms to sign and mail to swear in? My judge wants to do it tomorrow and the letter still hasn’t arrived in Miami.
Also in Miami, letter arrived today. I thought I'd squeak by on my retake, but I got a 152 on Part A and a 146 on Part B (I had to answer 20 questions in 20 minutes on this part of the exam).It feels good that I was able to do it the right way the second time around.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Derek Vinyard wrote:How do the florida essays compare with those on the MEE of the UBE??? I only took florida so far, but I want to take the MEE in another state and transfer. How bad are the MEE essays compared to the florida essays??? Also, for those who took the bar in 2 jurisdictions, how bad are the MPT essays?
The MPT is not bad at all, and if you've practiced for the MEE, you should good to go for the MPT as well. If you're going for the UBE, definitely focus your efforts on the MEE, because from my experience with them, the essay questions were far more detailed and nuanced than FL essays, probably because there's less of an element of surprise in terms of what's going to get tested. But just like with the FL Essays, you've gotta know your BLL cold. I think that running through the BarBri text on the multistate essays will suffice, assuming that your MBE is high enough.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

katrinax0x17

New

Post by katrinax0x17 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:16 pm

MC 3 (FL Wills) - 17.7

I got the same scores as you for FL and my raw score was a 151 and my scaled score was a 131. I’m going to try and fight it. How can they take that many points away??

Common stock

New

Post by Common stock » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:10 pm

katrinax0x17 wrote:
MC 3 (FL Wills) - 17.7

I got the same scores as you for FL and my raw score was a 151 and my scaled score was a 131. I’m going to try and fight it. How can they take that many points away??

That totally sucks. But I took the Fl bar twice. First time I failed by HALF OF A POINT. HALF.

I just passed this second time around and my FL score went from a 135.5 to a 144.

No one knows how they score.

Hope you get it the next time.

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:19 pm

not guilty wrote:
MC 3 (FL Wills) - 17.7

122 is too low. I agree that 17's on the MC, mixed with 2 below average essays isn't passing, but it is not 122 low. You need to take both parts in Feb., just at the small chance you (unknowingly) score a 135 on Part A and can use a small MBE bump.
Those weren't my scores they were the average for all Florida takers. I did pretty bad on the essays which resulted in the 122. Didn't do much essay prep which will obviously change for February. I'm expecting BE and Evidence as Florida mc topics for February.

katrinax0x17

New

Post by katrinax0x17 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:39 am

Common stock wrote:
katrinax0x17 wrote:
MC 3 (FL Wills) - 17.7

That totally sucks. But I took the Fl bar twice. First time I failed by HALF OF A POINT. HALF.

I just passed this second time around and my FL score went from a 135.5 to a 144.

No one knows how they score.

Hope you get it the next time.

I hope so! Lol I’m debating taking it again. I just don’t want to take the entire bar. I’m a full time attorney for 2 years and I can’t take time off to study. I took just FL in July while working full time so not too shabby lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:59 am

Advice for those who did not pass: put 75% of your time into studying multiple choice subjects in this order: Florida procedure -> Evidence -> Business Entities -> Wills. Florida procedure is the only subject guaranteed to be on the Florida portion of the exam and it is nearly 20% of your grade. You should be able to ace it. All of the multiple choice subjects are Florida specific and unless u went to FIU (which seems to structure its curriculum to the test based on its pass rates but otherwise unimpressive stats), you basically need to start from scratch on all of the subjects. If you do not study the multiple choice subjects at length, you will probably fail the Florida portion of the exam, so study them with extra emphasis on procedure. For studying the essays, you should actually write a couple to get comfortable with the time limit, but for the most part u should just be reading old questions and studying sample answers so you know what and how the examiners like to test those subjects. That's what I did, and I struggled with wills on test day, but got a pretty good score anyway. Felt confident about procedure and evidence and cruised through one essay because it was just a bunch of issues pieced together from old essays. Hope this helps! Studying the right way is all it takes.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:35 am

katrinax0x17 wrote:
MC 3 (FL Wills) - 17.7

Based on what I've read, you need about 185 raw points to guarantee a pass and the line isn't clear because the raw points on essays are not worth as much as the raw points on mc. Let me explain: The test says there are 6 sections, each weighted equally. There are only 30 raw points for each mc subject available but they say that there are 80 or so raw points per essay. Despite the numbers: one mc section equals one essay. The raw essay points are misleading because in reality one essay question is worth the same as one mc section. The raw scores for the essays will always be higher (you can't get a 40 raw score on a mc section (30 is the max), but a 40 on an essay is typically a failed essay). All that said, a 151 raw score is just not a passing score on the exam. (There are about 360 raw points available and you need to get at least 50%). You need to be around 185, getting 45 points per essay and 50/90 mc questions right to pass. Consensus seems to be that a high score on mc (which is not scaled down) takes you further than high essay scores (which is scaled down). So focus on mc, especially procedure, and then just read as many essay questions and sample answers as possible so u learn the issues they like to test. I hope I've demystified some of this hazing ritual of a test for you. Just know where the points are and prioritize: procedure > other mc subjects > reading old essay ?s and answers. GL next time! You got this

katrinax0x17

New

Post by katrinax0x17 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:08 pm

whereskyle wrote:
katrinax0x17 wrote:
MC 3 (FL Wills) - 17.7

Based on what I've read, you need about 185 raw points to guarantee a pass and the line isn't clear because the raw points on essays are not worth as much as the raw points on mc. Let me explain: The test says there are 6 sections, each weighted equally. There are only 30 raw points for each mc subject available but they say that there are 80 or so raw points per essay. Despite the numbers: one mc section equals one essay. The raw essay points are misleading because in reality one essay question is worth the same as one mc section. The raw scores for the essays will always be higher (you can't get a 40 raw score on a mc section (30 is the max), but a 40 on an essay is typically a failed essay). All that said, a 151 raw score is just not a passing score on the exam. (There are about 360 raw points available and you need to get at least 50%). You need to be around 185, getting 45 points per essay and 50/90 mc questions right to pass. Consensus seems to be that a high score on mc (which is not scaled down) takes you further than high essay scores (which is scaled down). So focus on mc, especially procedure, and then just read as many essay questions and sample answers as possible so u learn the issues they like to test. I hope I've demystified some of this hazing ritual of a test for you. Just know where the points are and prioritize: procedure > other mc subjects > reading old essay ?s and answers. GL next time! You got this
This was actually super helpful! They did scale down my MC score though. They took me from the 17.3 to an 11 for example on Evidence and from a 17.7 on wills to a 14. I’m debating retaking since I have to retake part A obviously and now Part B because my score expired.

FloridaLawyer2B

New

Post by FloridaLawyer2B » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:17 pm

So I finally got my letter from the Board today...

Part A - 140 (Pass)
Part B - 127 (Fail)

Overall failed, so I have to retake Part B in February. So frustrating....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JustPass

New

Post by JustPass » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:08 pm

You passed the FL portion, and your not far away from passing the MBE. I have faith in you for February! I totally get it is frustrating, but honestly, I think you should celebrate passing one of the parts. That alone is a huge task. And you did it!

FloridaLawyer2B

New

Post by FloridaLawyer2B » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:24 pm

JustPass wrote:You passed the FL portion, and your not far away from passing the MBE. I have faith in you for February! I totally get it is frustrating, but honestly, I think you should celebrate passing one of the parts. That alone is a huge task. And you did it!
Yeah, that's a fair point I suppose.

FL-ONE-TIME

New

Post by FL-ONE-TIME » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:53 pm

To any and all reading this thread - you can pass the exam. Never give up. It takes perseverance and hard work to be an attorney.

I went to law school 9 years after graduating from undergrad and working my way up at various jobs. I worked hard & did well in law school. I was in the bottom half of my class the first semester but never game up working hard and graduated well in the top 1/4. I practiced law for 15 years, a couple of years in private practice then mostly in-house counsel. Then after 14 years I decided to move to FL which means I had to retake the Bar exam (in my late 40s).

This is the third stated I have taken the exam in. Yes, FL is hard. I have now taken NV, CA and FL. Nevada is just as hard as CA and FL. Maybe even harder b/c the state portion there is all essay. You either know it or you don't. For FL I was working full time and studied 3-5 hours a night + 8 hours Sat & Sun. Yes, I worked 40 hours + studied 7 days a week from mid-April until the exam. I took 1 week off work to study hard at the end. I took the exam in July, and then turned around an crammed for the MPRE and took it Aug. 10th. So, yes I'm a glutton for punishment. I was absolutely certain I had failed the FL half and was hoping I passed the MBE. I actually ran out of time on every multiple choice section and had to guess on the last 5 to 10+ questions each time. I was dreading the thought of having to study again and retake it.

I passed - both parts (FL and MBE) + MPRE.
Part A = 152
Part B = 141
MPRE = 102

If I can pass after not being in school and not having taken a bar exam for 15 years then you can do it too. I did BarBri + got the Critical Pass flash cards. I listened and outlined the BarBri lectures. I did NOT use their pre-printed outlines for the lectures (they are garbage). I typed out an outline for every subject & tried to do as many BarBri practice questions as possible. If I had difficulty with a subject I used the Critical Pass flash cards b/c they are in outline form, or I would look at my past law school outline or Bar exam outline for that subject. I did a few practice essays but not many b/c I simply didn't have the time.The fact that they tested evidence on the FL essay + FL multiple choice + MBE was horrible for me. It was my worst subject by far. If I had it to do over I would have done more practice questions and practice MC exams. I also would have put more time into FL civil and criminal procedure. They are tested on every exam.

FL-ONE-TIME

New

Post by FL-ONE-TIME » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:55 pm

To any and all reading this thread - you can pass the exam. Never give up. It takes perseverance and hard work to be an attorney.

I went to law school 9 years after graduating from undergrad and working my way up at various jobs. I worked hard & did well in law school. I was in the bottom half of my class the first semester but never game up working hard and graduated well in the top 1/4. I practiced law for 15 years, a couple of years in private practice then mostly in-house counsel. Then after 14 years I decided to move to FL which means I had to retake the Bar exam (in my late 40s).

This is the third stated I have taken the exam in. Yes, FL is hard. I have now taken NV, CA and FL. Nevada is just as hard as CA and FL. Maybe even harder b/c the state portion there is all essay. You either know it or you don't. For FL I was working full time and studied 3-5 hours a night + 8 hours Sat & Sun. Yes, I worked 40 hours + studied 7 days a week from mid-April until the exam. I took 1 week off work to study hard at the end. I took the exam in July, and then turned around an crammed for the MPRE and took it Aug. 10th. So, yes I'm a glutton for punishment. I was absolutely certain I had failed the FL half and was hoping I passed the MBE. I actually ran out of time on every multiple choice section and had to guess on the last 5 to 10+ questions each time. I was dreading the thought of having to study again and retake it.

I passed - both parts (FL and MBE) + MPRE.
Part A = 152
Part B = 141
MPRE = 102

If I can pass after not being in school and not having taken a bar exam for 15 years then you can do it too. I did BarBri + got the Critical Pass flash cards. I listened and outlined the BarBri lectures. I did NOT use their pre-printed outlines for the lectures (they are garbage). I typed out an outline for every subject & tried to do as many BarBri practice questions as possible. If I had difficulty with a subject I used the Critical Pass flash cards b/c they are in outline form, or I would look at my past law school outline or Bar exam outline for that subject. I did a few practice essays but not many b/c I simply didn't have the time.The fact that they tested evidence on the FL essay + FL multiple choice + MBE was horrible for me. It was my worst subject by far. If I had it to do over I would have done more practice questions and practice MC exams. I also would have put more time into FL civil and criminal procedure. They are tested on every exam.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”