Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
gamma ray charles

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by gamma ray charles » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Mjohn008 wrote:How do you determine the points for the essays? Are they 100 points apiece (total 300) or are they all cumulatively 100 points? I've heard different things from different sites and forums.
Each one is worth 100 for a total of 300. But that 300 points is later scaled, so to speak, to be equal to the 100 points you can get on the MC.

Mjohn008

New

Post by Mjohn008 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:40 pm

That clears up alot, thanks.

gamma ray charles

New

Post by gamma ray charles » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:29 am

For anyone who would like to relive their essay writing glory, or have a PTSD flashback, the essay questions are now available at: https://www.floridabarexam.org/__85257b ... 0c00756f05

amtornberg

New

Post by amtornberg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:07 pm

gamma ray charles wrote:Hello all,

I wish this thread was a little more active, since I'd like to know more about how others are feeling after the February Bar Exam. Personally, I am beyond worried, seeing as the essays on this session seemed very difficult (especially the FL Con Law one). Reading other's thoughts would probably bring some ease over the next 5 or so weeks we have to wait.

Anyway, I've found a formula that I think is accurate in predicting what your score will be on Part A, if you can guesstimate the points you got on the essays and MC. Basically, you take all of the points you received for the essays, add them up, and divide by three. Then add the amount of MC you got right to that number. Then add 45-48 points for the curve and you will get a rough approximation of what your score will be. I've applied the formula to all the raw scores posted here and elsewhere, and compared them to the actual results folks got, and it seems pretty accurate within 1-2 points.
Agreed. I think the essays were particularly difficult. Even what seemed like straight forward topics (trusts) had strange twists that didn't fall squarely into my outline. The FL Con Law essay was impossible - my answer was definitely a "kitchen sink" approach - throw everything I could think of out there and see what sticks. I went back through the Themis big outline and found exactly 2 paragraphs about charter counties, so even the commercial bar prep companies didn't see that coming. Hoping I get enough analysis points to carry. I found the FL MC to be even more difficult than the essays. That was a real crap shoot.

Anyone know what time on the 10th our results are posted? My boss is already giving me a hard time.

MultiStateLawyer

New

Post by MultiStateLawyer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:50 am

This is completely accurate for scaling for PART A. Obviously PART B is just the MBE scaled scoring ranges depending on the curve (it will be interesting now that 25 are throw away v. 10 throw away). So, at this point, we aren't sure the new scaling for the MBE when only 175 count nowadays.

Anyways, PART A

FL MC -- 90/100 Questions count. Scoring is based out of 100 points. Each section scores RAW on 30 points.
FL Essays -- Each Essay really is worth about 30-33 Points. So when you see your score (i.e. 50) that's really the percentage. That percentage should be used on a 30 point scale. Thus, if you got an essay score of 50, you really got a 15/30.

So here's a breakdown Sample:

Essay 1: 50 (15/30)
Essay 2: 60 (18/30)
Essay 3: 75 (22.5/30)
FL MC 1: 17/30
FL MC 2: 18/30
FL MC 3: 25/30
TOTAL: 115/180
SCALED SCORE: 160.5-163.5

I hope this helps.

I wish this thread was a little more active, since I'd like to know more about how others are feeling after the February Bar Exam. Personally, I am beyond worried, seeing as the essays on this session seemed very difficult (especially the FL Con Law one). Reading other's thoughts would probably bring some ease over the next 5 or so weeks we have to wait.

Anyway, I've found a formula that I think is accurate in predicting what your score will be on Part A, if you can guesstimate the points you got on the essays and MC. Basically, you take all of the points you received for the essays, add them up, and divide by three. Then add the amount of MC you got right to that number. Then add 45-48 points for the curve and you will get a rough approximation of what your score will be. I've applied the formula to all the raw scores posted here and elsewhere, and compared them to the actual results folks got, and it seems pretty accurate within 1-2 points.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MultiStateLawyer

New

Post by MultiStateLawyer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 am

Scores GENERALLY come out around 9:00 A.M. It won't be on the Florida Bar Website you used for applying for the Bar Exam. The actual results are submitted on http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/bars ... ndex.shtml

Additionally, the results are going to be released based on your Applicant ID (the original one you have, which is listed on any correspondence from the Board of Bar Examiners and is a 5 digit number).

You can start checking results probably around 8:30 a.m. and refreshing the page until results are submitted.
amtornberg wrote:

Agreed. I think the essays were particularly difficult. Even what seemed like straight forward topics (trusts) had strange twists that didn't fall squarely into my outline. The FL Con Law essay was impossible - my answer was definitely a "kitchen sink" approach - throw everything I could think of out there and see what sticks. I went back through the Themis big outline and found exactly 2 paragraphs about charter counties, so even the commercial bar prep companies didn't see that coming. Hoping I get enough analysis points to carry. I found the FL MC to be even more difficult than the essays. That was a real crap shoot.

Anyone know what time on the 10th our results are posted? My boss is already giving me a hard time.

xbluehorseshoe

New

Post by xbluehorseshoe » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:57 am

Does anyone have a code for adaptibar?

gamma ray charles

New

Post by gamma ray charles » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:36 am

One week left as of right now before Bar results post, how's everyone feeling?

ehleez

New

Post by ehleez » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:52 pm

gamma ray charles wrote:One week left as of right now before Bar results post, how's everyone feeling?

full on panic-mode. second time taker.

Feeling pretty good about essays--I was actually prepared for a FL Con law essay of that nature....feeling prettyyyyyy uneasy about FL MCQ. Am I alone?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

andersonxc13

New

Post by andersonxc13 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:15 pm

Definitely not alone. 2nd time taker as well... just hoping I don't have to open bad results at work again :shock:

ehleez

New

Post by ehleez » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:27 pm

andersonxc13 wrote:Definitely not alone. 2nd time taker as well... just hoping I don't have to open bad results at work again :shock:
I opened at home last time...this time I landed my dream job...contingent on passing....most likely will not have the day off. The size of the panic attack I'll be having that day...and every day until then...is immeasurable.

How did you feel about FL MCQ? SO many filing deadling dates for civ pro....and I felt like corporations was endless......

andersonxc13

New

Post by andersonxc13 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Yeah, I used up all my paid leave for studying and my job is contingent on passing this time as well :(

I for sure struggled with the FL MPQ. I studied my butt off for corporations and partnerships because I knew it was going to be on there. I did all the practice FL tests and reviewed all of the questions and STILL felt like I wasn't sure on one corporation question that was on the test. Not to mention that they tested a lot on not for profits and barbri didn't have much on that so I wasn't expecting very much.

I guess all we can do now is wait patiently. I feel a lot better than last time based on my knowledge of the law and how I tailored my studying to my own way, but that's not helping my confidence very much right now. I just want to fast forward one week so I can see if I have to tell my boss bad news and start looking for another job.

Trying to stay positive, but I'll feel good one second and then the next I switch and have a mini panic attacks :( .

ehleez

New

Post by ehleez » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:01 pm

andersonxc13 wrote:Yeah, I used up all my paid leave for studying and my job is contingent on passing this time as well :(

I for sure struggled with the FL MPQ. I studied my butt off for corporations and partnerships because I knew it was going to be on there. I did all the practice FL tests and reviewed all of the questions and STILL felt like I wasn't sure on one corporation question that was on the test. Not to mention that they tested a lot on not for profits and barbri didn't have much on that so I wasn't expecting very much.

I guess all we can do now is wait patiently. I feel a lot better than last time based on my knowledge of the law and how I tailored my studying to my own way, but that's not helping my confidence very much right now. I just want to fast forward one week so I can see if I have to tell my boss bad news and start looking for another job.

Trying to stay positive, but I'll feel good one second and then the next I switch and have a mini panic attacks :( .
Yeah, I'm feeling exactly the same--I studied my own way this time and only used Barbri for Florida questions...I definitely feel way better than I did in July..I walked out of that one feeling horribly. This time, I walked both in and out feeling way more in control of the material, and feeling like it could honestly go either way, which is apparently how everyone I know who passed felt--that it could go either way.

I, too, have quick mood changes with feeling positive and good to having panic attacks...but it's something I can't help. Seeing that "fail" back in September is and still was the worst thing I have ever experienced...there's not controlling how that still resonates with me and scares me for checking results again.

On one hand, I feel pretty good, and supplement that with, in the nicest way possible, knowing complete idiots who passed it, and feeling like, "why not me? I studied so hard and knew the material so well..." but at the same time, so much of this exam comes down to pure luck, that all my confidence and positive thoughts drop way low

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

andersonxc13

New

Post by andersonxc13 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:49 pm

ehleez wrote:
andersonxc13 wrote:Yeah, I used up all my paid leave for studying and my job is contingent on passing this time as well :(

Yeah, I'm feeling exactly the same--I studied my own way this time and only used Barbri for Florida questions...I definitely feel way better than I did in July..I walked out of that one feeling horribly. This time, I walked both in and out feeling way more in control of the material, and feeling like it could honestly go either way, which is apparently how everyone I know who passed felt--that it could go either way.

I, too, have quick mood changes with feeling positive and good to having panic attacks...but it's something I can't help. Seeing that "fail" back in September is and still was the worst thing I have ever experienced...there's not controlling how that still resonates with me and scares me for checking results again.

On one hand, I feel pretty good, and supplement that with, in the nicest way possible, knowing complete idiots who passed it, and feeling like, "why not me? I studied so hard and knew the material so well..." but at the same time, so much of this exam comes down to pure luck, that all my confidence and positive thoughts drop way low

Yeah, its nice knowing that a lot of us feel the same. Last time, I had that deep down feeling that I knew I had failed even before I saw the results. This time I don't, but who knows.. That's probably not indicative of anything. Would be nice if it was though. I definitely feel like I could go either way as well. I scored above average on the essays last time but was completely killed on the FL MPQ. Regardless, I was mad to see how low they scaled my Florida portion compared to how they scaled my friends. Someone told me that if you score average or around average on each FL section that your curve is nicer if that makes sense, and if you score below average on one, it hurts you more because you weren't in the average, regardless if your scores were higher on another section. For example, I was scaled from a 190 raw to a 130 scaled. My essays were above average, but my FL MPQ literally killed me. I was below average on those. My friend on the other hand had a 168 raw and was scored to a 128. Didn't make sense to me, but her MPQ and essay portions were both closer to the average points, so when someone told me that it made a little more sense.

Also, are you having dreams about the results? I've already had 3 dreams about the results... its like even when I go to sleep, I'm still haunted by the unknown.

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Hard to follow this thread / find an answer. I took the NY bar in 2015 with Barbri and am now studying for FL Bar. The NY Bar with Barbri was fine, didn't find Babri too special. What is the concensus on Barbri vs. Themis vs. Anything else in FL?

MultiStateLawyer

New

Post by MultiStateLawyer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:55 pm

andersonxc13 wrote:
ehleez wrote:

Yeah, its nice knowing that a lot of us feel the same. Last time, I had that deep down feeling that I knew I had failed even before I saw the results. This time I don't, but who knows.. That's probably not indicative of anything. Would be nice if it was though. I definitely feel like I could go either way as well. I scored above average on the essays last time but was completely killed on the FL MPQ. Regardless, I was mad to see how low they scaled my Florida portion compared to how they scaled my friends. Someone told me that if you score average or around average on each FL section that your curve is nicer if that makes sense, and if you score below average on one, it hurts you more because you weren't in the average, regardless if your scores were higher on another section. For example, I was scaled from a 190 raw to a 130 scaled. My essays were above average, but my FL MPQ literally killed me. I was below average on those. My friend on the other hand had a 168 raw and was scored to a 128. Didn't make sense to me, but her MPQ and essay portions were both closer to the average points, so when someone told me that it made a little more sense.

Also, are you having dreams about the results? I've already had 3 dreams about the results... its like even when I go to sleep, I'm still haunted by the unknown.
I wrote a long thing about the explanation of scoring earlier in this thread... but simply put -- don't get obsessed with the "down-scaling" as it becomes frustrating when you see raw v. scaled (as MBE normally is a better Scaled than Raw)... here's the easiest way to explain this...

Each Essay = 30 FL MPQs
Your Essay Score = % (not a hard number for scoring)
Convert the % to a # out of 30

For Example:
FL Essay 1 -- 50 actually means 15/30
Fl Essay 2 -- 60 actually means 18/30
FL Essay 3 -- 80 actually means 24/30
FL Essays = 67/90

FL Civ Pro -- 17/30
FL Business -- 15/30
FL Evidence -- 18/30
FL MPQ = 50/90

FL Day is Essentially 6 Sections of 30 Points...then there is a 42-45 point increase.

FL Essays (67) + FL MPQ (50) = 117/180... Scaling Actually Brings it to a Range of 159-162 (You need 136 in FL)

Then of course MBE is a 136 Scaled Required (or if you happen to get 159-162 in FL, you'd need like 113-117 on MBE for an Average of 136..

Hope this helps!

ehleez

New

Post by ehleez » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:13 am

andersonxc13 wrote:
ehleez wrote:

YUP. lots of dreams--results being released early; failing by 1.5-1 points; failing half; all but my scores being released; scores in general. Sleep hasn't been a thing for me for a about 2 weeks now.

I realize that there's nothing we can do but wait, but it's hard when you already have a "fail" under your belt...that really does a thing to your confidence. That, and how it comes down to luck...perfect example is how your friend's score was scaled differently.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

andersonxc13

New

Post by andersonxc13 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:39 am

ehleez wrote:
andersonxc13 wrote:
ehleez wrote:

YUP. lots of dreams--results being released early; failing by 1.5-1 points; failing half; all but my scores being released; scores in general. Sleep hasn't been a thing for me for a about 2 weeks now.

I realize that there's nothing we can do but wait, but it's hard when you already have a "fail" under your belt...that really does a thing to your confidence. That, and how it comes down to luck...perfect example is how your friend's score was scaled differently.
yeah, its bad enough that we know what it feels like to get that "fail" result. Having to endure it again? I can't even imagine.

amtornberg

New

Post by amtornberg » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:47 pm

I felt horrible about the FL MCQs and the first essay. The rest I felt was "fine." Hopefully that's enough to get me a pass on Monday :?

ehleez

New

Post by ehleez » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:22 am

amtornberg wrote:I felt horrible about the FL MCQs and the first essay. The rest I felt was "fine." Hopefully that's enough to get me a pass on Monday :?
Fingers crossed! I, and not to jinx myself or sound like I was ultra prepared, feel like I was a part of a small minority that was ready for a fl con law essay...no one around me, bar prep tutor, friends, bar prep company expected a con law essay, but for some reason, I had an uneasy feeling based on the february trend for the last 5 years and how they tested fed con law in july, which left florida as an option...i went to town studying everything fl con law and it was even the very last thing I reviewed on Monday night before the exam! I went to town with I actually wrote the most out of all the essays for that one...can one essay carry my entire FL score? hahaha

But I definitely feel pretty uneasy about FL MCQ. Civ Pro is always unnecessarily hard with filing deadlines (there were so many dates, that I opted to remember FL filing as going by 10s, MBE filing as going by 7s, amd FL Crim Pro as going by 5s I believe it was....hope that was sufficient)...and even though I studied tons of biz orgs/corps, it still wasn't my forte, but I felt prepared, I feel like I christmas treed the MCQ on that in the real thing.

Definitely in panic mode

ehleez

New

Post by ehleez » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:25 am

Does anyone have any insight as to how the change in experimental questions is going to affect us? I've seen a few things online, but I'm NOT mathematically inclined in the slightest, so I haven't really understood whether the increase in experimentals will or will not make a huge difference or hurt us any extra

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gamma ray charles

New

Post by gamma ray charles » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:40 am

ehleez wrote:Does anyone have any insight as to how the change in experimental questions is going to affect us? I've seen a few things online, but I'm NOT mathematically inclined in the slightest, so I haven't really understood whether the increase in experimentals will or will not make a huge difference or hurt us any extra
I've been looking for an answer to this question, and all I've found was people's personal speculations. Some say it had a negative impact while others say it made no difference and was curved out. I think it's too soon to tell.

ehleez

New

Post by ehleez » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:50 pm

gamma ray charles wrote:
ehleez wrote:Does anyone have any insight as to how the change in experimental questions is going to affect us? I've seen a few things online, but I'm NOT mathematically inclined in the slightest, so I haven't really understood whether the increase in experimentals will or will not make a huge difference or hurt us any extra
I've been looking for an answer to this question, and all I've found was people's personal speculations. Some say it had a negative impact while others say it made no difference and was curved out. I think it's too soon to tell.
SAME :(

amtornberg

New

Post by amtornberg » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:58 am

So we're thinking Monday at 10:00am? 9:00am?

ehleez

New

Post by ehleez » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:17 am

amtornberg wrote:So we're thinking Monday at 10:00am? 9:00am?
They said "after 2 PM," but I don't trust them. I'm expecting between 8:30 and 10:30 AM

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”