Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lawonomics

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by Lawonomics » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Let's get those essay predictions going?

1. FL Con Law
2. Either Family Law/Dependency or Crim/Crim Pro + Delinquency
3. Contracts/ UCC 3/9

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:14 pm

Dayman14 wrote:I've taken 2 of Barbri's Florida day practice exams. I barely scraped by on the MC portions on both according to Barbri's "generally-a-passing-score" indicator (68 and 62 correct out of 100).

I have also randomly pulled 100 real, past MC questions (from the FL Bar website), compiled, and answered them under timed conditions twice and got 82 and 84 correct.

I've done each of these 4 "practice tests" fairly close in time to one another, so I've ruled out that the discrepancy is due to gaining substantive knowledge. I wasn't terribly rushed for time on any, so the improvement likely wasn't because I got better at test-taking skills. Roughly the same subjects were tested (Evidence, Business Entities, Wills, and obviously FL procedure was on each), so I can't say that the discrepancy is because I am better at some subjects that others. I don't know, all things considered, a ~15-question improvement seems a bit off.

So my question is: are the Barbri questions overly difficult, or do the FL Bar examiners purposely post their easier questions? Or is there another reason for the discrepancy?
Are you combining the released questions on the "study guide" from the Bar Examiners website? The ones off the Bar Examiners website are probably better but Florida stuff is more rule based than MBE stuff. Barbri sucks in a bunch of different ways.

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Lawonomics wrote:Let's get those essay predictions going?

1. FL Con Law
2. Either Family Law/Dependency or Crim/Crim Pro + Delinquency
3. Contracts/ UCC 3/9
1. Florida Con Law
2. Contracts
3. Property

no one has a clue

Common stock

New

Post by Common stock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:19 pm

Hi all-

Does anyone have the Partnerships and Real Property PDF handouts from Themis?

If so may I have them please? I’ll take them without answers if that helps.

They are the last two I’m missing.

Hoping someone can help a girl out. I’m a second time taker. I missed passing by half a point in February (135.5....and yes, I know) and I’m kinda having a meltdown.

Please. Thank you.

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:22 am

Any thoughts on the FL mc questions? I'm guessing Evidence will be on there since they tend to not test the same things twice in a row (famous last words I know). We've discussed the horror that are BE questions a bunch, I think it'd be 3 times in a row if they tested BE but there's clearly more material there than Wills.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

court_bacon

New

Post by court_bacon » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:13 pm

Does anyone have any recent past essays outlined that they are willing to share? This will be my 3rd attempt and I'm still struggling with time management 2 weeks out. Any help would be much appreciated!

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:57 am

johngotti wrote:Any thoughts on the FL mc questions? I'm guessing Evidence will be on there since they tend to not test the same things twice in a row (famous last words I know). We've discussed the horror that are BE questions a bunch, I think it'd be 3 times in a row if they tested BE but there's clearly more material there than Wills.
I'd bet on BE over wills. Both suck, though. So I can't say that I'm partial to either. They can also test delinquency through MC, so heads up there. I believe there's one or two other subjects that have been tested both ways (essay or multiple choice).

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:00 am

Dayman14 wrote:I've taken 2 of Barbri's Florida day practice exams. I barely scraped by on the MC portions on both according to Barbri's "generally-a-passing-score" indicator (68 and 62 correct out of 100).

I have also randomly pulled 100 real, past MC questions (from the FL Bar website), compiled, and answered them under timed conditions twice and got 82 and 84 correct.

I've done each of these 4 "practice tests" fairly close in time to one another, so I've ruled out that the discrepancy is due to gaining substantive knowledge. I wasn't terribly rushed for time on any, so the improvement likely wasn't because I got better at test-taking skills. Roughly the same subjects were tested (Evidence, Business Entities, Wills, and obviously FL procedure was on each), so I can't say that the discrepancy is because I am better at some subjects that others. I don't know, all things considered, a ~15-question improvement seems a bit off.

So my question is: are the Barbri questions overly difficult, or do the FL Bar examiners purposely post their easier questions? Or is there another reason for the discrepancy?
The Barbri questions are incredibly difficult, especially their wills and BE questions. They're much more nuanced and geared toward memorizing EVERYTHING than the real thing. That being said, I'm surprised that their model essays didn't scare you. Those are truly demoralizing to read.

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Jmart082 wrote:

The Barbri questions are incredibly difficult, especially their wills and BE questions. They're much more nuanced and geared toward memorizing EVERYTHING than the real thing. That being said, I'm surprised that their model essays didn't scare you. Those are truly demoralizing to read.
What were barbri's essay topics for the simulated FL exam?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ELerner

New

Post by ELerner » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:52 am

Can someone explain what's meant by "segments" of the FL Exam? The bar examiners say Civ Pro/Crim Pro and Jud Admin rules "comprise one segment," and the "remaining five segments, each of which will embrace no more than three subjects..." What's considered a "segment?"

Thanks.

randallh5566

New

Post by randallh5566 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:47 pm

Here's what to expect:

FL AM: 3 Essays, each essay is a "segment" which will have up to 3 topics tested. Those topics are all the topics minus the MC Topics.

FL PM: 100 MC, each "segment" is ~33 questions. All 3 segments are mixed up in the 100.
One segment will be half FL civ pro and half FL crim pro.
The other two segments will be 2 of 3 from: Wills, Corp/Partnerships, FL Evidence.

Common stock

New

Post by Common stock » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:37 pm

Sooooo....just a few more days. How is everyone? Any repeat takers?

florida2015

New

Post by florida2015 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:08 pm

Common stock wrote:Sooooo....just a few more days. How is everyone? Any repeat takers?
Third-timer here. Ready to show what I know and for it to be Wednesday night already! Good luck to everyone :D . I'll see y'all on Tuesday bright and early.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wyoming92

New

Post by wyoming92 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:06 pm

First time here. 86% in Themis done. Let’s hope all this studying pays off...

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:14 pm

3rd time, usually hitting mid-60s in 40-50 adaptibar questions a day the past few weeks hope it's enough. Trying to survive the Florida shit and make it to Wednesday with a chance to utilize that score. Fuck the essays.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:38 am

johngotti wrote:3rd time, usually hitting mid-60s in 40-50 adaptibar questions a day the past few weeks hope it's enough. Trying to survive the Florida shit and make it to Wednesday with a chance to utilize that score. Fuck the essays.
Same, man. Good luck. Florida part is sort of an all-is-lost proposition for me too. Memory is just not good enough to spit out BLL law as close to verbatim as possible like they want you to on the essays.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:01 pm

July 2019 prediction:

Essays:
Property
Fla Con
Contracts or Criminal, plus Ethics

MC:
Evidence
Wills
Civ Pro
Crim Pro

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lawonomics

New

Post by Lawonomics » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:18 pm

THOSE MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS ARE INSANE.

at least to me. :shock:

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:25 pm

Lawonomics wrote:THOSE MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS ARE INSANE.

at least to me. :shock:
Better remember the smallest tiniest exception to everything or you're screwed. I got down to 50/50 most of the time hope I picked right.

Was not expecting Crim Law stuff on the essays and they decided to even throw in some Evidence. Oh well, my hope was always based on the MBE hope it can save me.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:34 pm

Just hung up with a classmate. Sounds like Property essay had an issue with the main guys standing? Whether or not he had any standing to do any of the calls of questions (eviction etc)?
A crim essay where victim lied (which is irrelevant by the way)?
And then a Fla Con essay applying rational basis or was it strict scrutiny?

Sounds like Wills was difficult as well.

wyoming92

New

Post by wyoming92 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:26 pm

Didn’t realize you could take the essay packet out with you until I was downstairs and saw everyone else with it...but lord knows I don’t want to look at any bar materials after Wednesday...

Themis prepared me well for the topics. From what I remember on the essays:

1) Florida and federal con law and pro rep. Privacy and due process analysis, the usual Florida Bill Properly Enacted or Not analysis, and sunshine/public meeting records. And of course conflict of interest. Wasted time trying to learn the reasonable fees factors for the bar exam but oh well.

2) property - easements, tenant/landlord issues, deeds/recording (quitclaim and general warranty) and secured transactions 101 on the mortgage and note, and modification of a note, and possible foreclosure/lien issues...there was a lot...

3) criminal and crim pro (fed 4/5/6 and state) and evidence on a Romeo/Juliet crime case.

And no massive commercial paper essay - I’ll take it.

Worried over FL multiple choice. So many 50/50 guesses, but no corporations/partnerships/agency questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:47 pm

wyoming92 wrote: 3) criminal and crim pro (fed 4/5/6 and state) and evidence on a Romeo/Juliet crime case.

Worried over FL multiple choice. So many 50/50 guesses, but no corporations/partnerships/agency questions.
How old was the girl?

Lewd and Lascivious Offenses Regarding a Person Less Than 16 Years of Age
In Florida, a person who is over the age of 18 and who engages in any form of sexual conduct with a person between the ages of 12 and 15 can be charged with a lewd and lascivious offense. This is a very serious felony charge. The penalties could include a lengthy prison sentence and lifetime registration as a sex offender.

wyoming92

New

Post by wyoming92 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:50 pm

not guilty wrote:
wyoming92 wrote: 3) criminal and crim pro (fed 4/5/6 and state) and evidence on a Romeo/Juliet crime case.

How old was the girl?

Lewd and Lascivious Offenses Regarding a Person Less Than 16 Years of Age
In Florida, a person who is over the age of 18 and who engages in any form of sexual conduct with a person between the ages of 12 and 15 can be charged with a lewd and lascivious offense. This is a very serious felony charge. The penalties could include a lengthy prison sentence and lifetime registration as a sex offender.
15. Damn. Yea I just put pending on the age the Romeo/Juliet statute still won’t help the defendant. Just couldn’t remember any of those age factors.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:21 pm

Essays were far worse than the multiple choice, in my opinion, but I'm definitely in the minority on that.

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:38 pm

Jmart082 wrote:Essays were far worse than the multiple choice, in my opinion, but I'm definitely in the minority on that.
The mc pattern is pretty clear at this point...........until they decide to change it next time when I'm there in February.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”