Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
robin600

Gold

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by robin600 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:07 pm

Welp adoption was like the one thing I didn't really nail in family law since it was hardly ever tested so fml.

RC76

New

Post by RC76 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Same. Essays sucked hard. Hopefully I just get enough points. Feel really good about the multiple-choice. I really would like to get about 75% or more of those in order to make up for my terrible terrible essays
robin600 wrote:Welp adoption was like the one thing I didn't really nail in family law since it was hardly ever tested so fml.

VeritasCognitio

New

Post by VeritasCognitio » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:35 pm

DWS07224 wrote:There were two right answers for almost every question. No Evidence? Really?
In the same boat, I was often stuck between two answer choices as well! The actual multiple choice questions of the exam were magnitudes harder than Kaplan's or Barbri's. They tested so many nuanced exceptions.

those essay topics...

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:24 pm

We can't discuss fact patterns of multiple choice on here FYI. We can discuss law though.

The essays are fair game because they are immediately public.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:35 pm

These are just things I mentioned at random..

Essay 1- Dependency: I got into adoption rules (employed, live in Fla, etc) parental rights rules, they are supposed to be given notice
of court proceedings. The baby daddy was interesting because he is supposed to do the father register thingy but they specifically mentioned to avoid that. Essentially they were appealing the circuit courts decision. I thought grandparents did not have much standing in regard to parental rights, but DCF is supposed to let them know about the sheltering and try to contact nearest relatives etc. Supremem Court said same sex couple is good for adoption.

Essay 2- Fla Con: Sunshine Law, Equal Protection, Rational Basis, Due process, Right to Assemble, Search & Seizure (phone taps lol), ethical conflict.

Essay 3- A9/A3: I went A9 (security agreement, attached, perfection) for most of it until that stopped check I went A3 (note vs draft). I'm sure I was wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AltheaBlue

New

Post by AltheaBlue » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:40 pm

What in the hell was that? Commercial paper and no evidence? That was just mean today.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:42 pm

not guilty wrote:These are just things I mentioned at random..

Essay 1- Dependency: I got into adoption rules (employed, live in Fla, etc) parental rights rules, they are supposed to be given notice
of court proceedings. The baby daddy was interesting because he is supposed to do the father register thingy but they specifically mentioned to avoid that. Essentially they were appealing the circuit courts decision. I thought grandparents did not have much standing in regard to parental rights, but DCF is supposed to let them know about the sheltering and try to contact nearest relatives etc. Supremem Court said same sex couple is good for adoption.

Essay 2- Fla Con: Sunshine Law, Equal Protection, Rational Basis, Due process, Right to Assemble, Search & Seizure (phone taps lol), ethical conflict.

Essay 3- A9/A3: I went A9 (security agreement, attached, perfection) for most of it until that stopped check I went A3 (note vs draft). I'm sure I was wrong.
Same. I missed on the Due Process analaysis on Fl Con but said phone taps were right to privacy invasion idk my I felt my fl con was all over the place. Pretty much said the same for dependency and UCC

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:43 pm

MC Law:

Wills: Lapses vs Anti Lapse got me. I'm fairly certain none of those answers for "caveat" in wills were right. At least by bar prep definition.

Crim: Clearly they care more about capital crimes.

Civ: That was more than "basic procedure." Knowing a 20 day rule or something was fine but you needed to know a step deeper.

Business Entity: lol at the Florida bar to allow entry without having tested students skills in evidence. That's just plain dumb.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:44 pm

I mean, was it mainly A9 or A3?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DWS07224

New

Post by DWS07224 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:48 pm

I had the same on Essay 2 plus wiretapping, vagueness/overbreadth, and special laws.

Totally messed up the A3. I had the same thoughts as you on Essay 1.

RB78

New

Post by RB78 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:28 pm

Of all the years to graduate law school and take the Florida Bar Exam for the first time, I gotta be the year with an entire dependency essay AND an entire Secured Transactions/Commercial Paper essay....If I was just one year ahead I could have had normal blue chip MBE subjects as my Florida essays......(no torts, contracts, criminal law, or real property = worst possible year to take this thing)

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:48 pm

Yeah, but what if the scores are really low? They would need to give a bigger curve to get more people up to an average of 136, right? I missed a couple things like Sunshine, as I didnt really think that was applicable and thought it would be better not to put it in there than to mess it up. I probably should have mentioned it. If I fail by a point that may very well be the reason why. I came up with the purchase money mortgage idea for the last one, which I also could have screwed up, but I put it in there anyway. A google search just revealed that a commercial purchase money mortgage is at least possible, so hopefully that will be worth something. lol.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:51 pm

Derek Vinyard wrote:Yeah, but what if the scores are really low? They would need to give a bigger curve to get more people up to an average of 136, right? I missed a couple things like Sunshine, as I didnt really think that was applicable and thought it would be better not to put it in there than to mess it up. I probably should have mentioned it. If I fail by a point that may very well be the reason why. I came up with the purchase money mortgage idea for the last one, which I also could have screwed up, but I put it in there anyway. A google search just revealed that a commercial purchase money mortgage is at least possible, so hopefully that will be worth something. lol.
I mean dude I am kicking myself for not getting the equal protection issue on con law. There is always gonna be points you leave on the table but I guess if you feel prepared you should be fine. Honestly all I did for UCC was make sure to put the rules in as best I could. I memorizied those things and then just bullshitted the application part. Hopefully that was enough. Also threw in a quick contracts analysis for Cosignor's claim against the chick with the museum. Idk how relevant that was but I was just throwing the kitchen sink at this thing at that point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RC76

New

Post by RC76 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:54 pm

I really dont know if there is a curve or not. I mean, if there was a true curve, wouldnt the pass rates be somewhat similar from year to year. Here, somtimes its 70%, sometimes its 55%. I would love an explanation of the curve.
Derek Vinyard wrote:Yeah, but what if the scores are really low? They would need to give a bigger curve to get more people up to an average of 136, right? I missed a couple things like Sunshine, as I didnt really think that was applicable and thought it would be better not to put it in there than to mess it up. I probably should have mentioned it. If I fail by a point that may very well be the reason why. I came up with the purchase money mortgage idea for the last one, which I also could have screwed up, but I put it in there anyway. A google search just revealed that a commercial purchase money mortgage is at least possible, so hopefully that will be worth something. lol.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:52 pm

If we all did great or we all did bad, they are still going to regulate the scale after the fact, just as Kaplan said. There is a reason we don't know how the scoring works. Do you think you did better than 40% of takers? That's what matters.

I think the mantra "throw out some law and make an analysis will pass the essays" is not accurate. You had people there fully prepared for a secured transaction and fla con law essay. You had people who probably work in dependency law. Citing a bunch of irrelevant law is not going to rack up points unless you can really tie it together. Graders are going to appreciate a solid bullshit argument, but not a random sentence that doesn't fit.

DWS07224

New

Post by DWS07224 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:55 pm

not guilty wrote:I mean, was it mainly A9 or A3?
A9 until the last two paragraphs. Damn dude how many times have you taken the bar? That's rough.

DWS07224

New

Post by DWS07224 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:59 pm

not guilty wrote:MC Law:

Wills: Lapses vs Anti Lapse got me. I'm fairly certain none of those answers for "caveat" in wills were right. At least by bar prep definition.

Crim: Clearly they care more about capital crimes.

Civ: That was more than "basic procedure." Knowing a 20 day rule or something was fine but you needed to know a step deeper.

Business Entity: lol at the Florida bar to allow entry without having tested students skills in evidence. That's just plain dumb.
Also, the caveat answer was creditors. Sorry man.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:07 am

DWS07224 wrote:
not guilty wrote:I mean, was it mainly A9 or A3?
A9 until the last two paragraphs. Damn dude how many times have you taken the bar? That's rough.
Passed Georgia first try. Florida has been a major issue, but luckily I only need Part A now. In February my computer rejected exam soft and I hand wrote a disaster, but I passed MBE. I'm going to sit for MBE tom. just as a back up. Although I've only studied maybe 12 hours so I doubt I'll help myself. Very thankful Fla allows the scores to be averaged. Part A demands a lot of work to be ready for curve balls. I was really prepared, but not so much Article 9. Ugh.

*and what about me asking if it was A3/A9 (which I was luckily correct on) spurred you to ask me if I'm a retaker lol?
Last edited by not guilty on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:09 am

DWS07224 wrote: Also, the caveat answer was creditors. Sorry man.
Don't be sorry, I got that right. They worded those very poorly.

Teamesq

New

Post by Teamesq » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:23 am

The essays were horrible in my opinion. I passed the mbe in February and studied exclusively for Florida over the past 2 months. I STILL felt unprepared. It seems like the bar has shifted from its goal in testing minimum competence to deliberately trying to keep people out. There was absolutely nothing predictable about the Florida portion of the exam. They made it a point to test areas that were not highly testable. They knew full well that nobody would know adoption and barely anything about secured and commercial paper. They knew that historically people expected not to see biz org 2 times in a row. I'm not usually the type to complain. I can appreciate a fair exam, even if I was not prepared for it, but this one was just wrong on so many levels. I'm so pissed.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:37 am

DWS07224 wrote:

I had the same on Essay 2 plus wiretapping, vagueness/overbreadth, and special laws.

Totally messed up the A3. I had the same thoughts as you on Essay 1.
Am I the only one who analyzed challenging the judgment under the rules of civil procedure since there was no service of process? As the examiners made it a point that they challenged 13 months after the entry of judgment of termination.

That Con Law question was odd ball because it was adjusting the legislative findings which left me puzzled, I also addressed them placing a more specific government interest as the court in a time/place/manner is going to look to the government's proferred reason when deciding if a law will be valid.

Then again the Professional Responsibility qiestion tested messed up nuances...the representation was also affected by whether they controlled their representation and sent a closing letter: former client they would be ok to rep if they had informed consent because the prior work involving the youth center was transactional but if Cathy were a current client (which lawyers can be unaware), they be screwed hardcore their hands would be tied because of duty to her. "Prior representation" not "former client"

That PR issue was really really really really and I mean really nuanced, like they wanted to pour salt and squeeze lemon into the wound.

When guys who were on Harvard Law Review felt themselves burnt like bad toast or worst then nasty microwave popcorn....all in good company.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Teamesq wrote:The essays were horrible in my opinion. I passed the mbe in February and studied exclusively for Florida over the past 2 months. I STILL felt unprepared. It seems like the bar has shifted from its goal in testing minimum competence to deliberately trying to keep people out. There was absolutely nothing predictable about the Florida portion of the exam. They made it a point to test areas that were not highly testable. They knew full well that nobody would know adoption and barely anything about secured and commercial paper. They knew that historically people expected not to see biz org 2 times in a row. I'm not usually the type to complain. I can appreciate a fair exam, even if I was not prepared for it, but this one was just wrong on so many levels. I'm so pissed.
I agree with you! That was just ridiculous. I can appreciate a family law/dependency essay, but not on a small (1/2 portion of my outline). At least the MC's are worth the same as the 3 essays, so just toss it up to the big man above and hope for the best.

Teamesq

New

Post by Teamesq » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:16 pm

That's what I plan to do. It's in God's hands at this point.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:37 pm

I had a feeling we would get hosed on this stuff. Hardcore.

Teamesq

New

Post by Teamesq » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:48 pm

If the major commercial review courses did not emphasize the topics tested, then most of us are likely in the same boat with respect to the way we allocated our time studying. With that said, the curve will probably be very generous.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”