Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
941law

Bronze

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by 941law » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:04 pm

Cydiego wrote: Is this based on your own interpretation of the same statistics? The point is the exam's becoming impossible to predict so I don't think stats from the last 10-20 years will help us determine the future while they're assumed goal is to do something unpredictable.
Yes, I'm just guessing. And yes, the essays are becoming harder and harder to predict. I think we're due up for contracts, torts, trusts merely because of trends and what was tested on February.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:07 pm

I'm also having a hard time understanding why all the companies are guessing we get Wills and Evidence. It's trending toward evidence in mc for sure, a trusts essay, and then business mc. Oh well, doesn't matter.

FloRida15

New

Post by FloRida15 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:10 pm

There is no point in predicting or trying to figure it out. If you change your studying based on predictions, it's foolish. I took the NY/NJ bar exams in 2010 and passed with BarBri. A competitor, based on predictions, said no way corporations would be tested again and sure enough the third essay was all corporations. A lot of people failed by not preparing.

On another note -- Do they have food at the convention center? Or do you have to pack lunch and leave in the car/hotel/locker? Not sure how the logistics work in Tampa -- never been.

Cydiego

New

Post by Cydiego » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:38 pm

FloRida15 wrote:There is no point in predicting or trying to figure it out. If you change your studying based on predictions, it's foolish. I took the NY/NJ bar exams in 2010 and passed with BarBri. A competitor, based on predictions, said no way corporations would be tested again and sure enough the third essay was all corporations. A lot of people failed by not preparing.

On another note -- Do they have food at the convention center? Or do you have to pack lunch and leave in the car/hotel/locker? Not sure how the logistics work in Tampa -- never been.
Not a lot of options around the conv cntr. best bet would be sneaking into a fl law school's free lunch area

FloRida15

New

Post by FloRida15 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:44 pm

Anyone know if the FL bar, in the Civ Pro section, tests on statutes of limitation? The Themis materials did not include, so I assume it's not covered on the bar, but seemed odd to me. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lolaq

New

Post by lolaq » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:19 pm

On another note -- Do they have food at the convention center? Or do you have to pack lunch and leave in the car/hotel/locker? Not sure how the logistics work in Tampa -- never been.[/quote]

They have food at the convention center, but from what I remember, the lines could get pretty long. If you are staying at a hotel nearby (Marriott or, Embassy Suites), I'd suggest leaving something in your room, or pre-ordering lunch from hotel, so you could just walk back to your room on break. If not, just brave the line at the Convention Center or leave something in your car.

Cydiego

New

Post by Cydiego » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:58 pm

Desk Etiquette -- I've had terrible experiences w bar exam desk partners. The desks are cheap and shake easily. So do you have a talk w your partner beforehand and make a deal or just deal w it?

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:58 am

Cydiego wrote:Desk Etiquette -- I've had terrible experiences w bar exam desk partners. The desks are cheap and shake easily. So do you have a talk w your partner beforehand and make a deal or just deal w it?
Are the seats pre-assigned or a free for all? Hate being on top of people. And you should mention it before hand.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:02 am

FloRida15 wrote:Anyone know if the FL bar, in the Civ Pro section, tests on statutes of limitation? The Themis materials did not include, so I assume it's not covered on the bar, but seemed odd to me. Thanks.
I do not believe it is; however, this rule on "time" is open game http://phonl.com/fl_law/rules/frcp/frcp1090.htm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

max2000

New

Post by max2000 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:06 am

How exactly is everyone approaching FL crim law? Where would it even show up, a sub-topic of a tort essay or something? It's own essay topic?

Having a hard time devoting precious time to ucc 3/9, depend, delinq, and fl crim at this point but I have night mares of these being very prevalent on test day.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:53 am

max2000 wrote:How exactly is everyone approaching FL crim law? Where would it even show up, a sub-topic of a tort essay or something? It's own essay topic?

Having a hard time devoting precious time to ucc 3/9, depend, delinq, and fl crim at this point but I have night mares of these being very prevalent on test day.
There will be Fl Crim Pro on the multiple choice Tuesday afternoon. They guarantee that, as well as Fl Civ Pro, and Fl Rules of Judicial Administration 2.330, 2.420, 2.505, and 2.515.

As for Fl Crim Law, it got it's own essay years ago so you could view a couple essays just to be safe. Issues like homicide, robbery, rape, etc and then inchoate crimes.

Here is a sample Fl Crim Pro question (actually evidence):
Quesuons 2 – 3 are based on the following fact situation.
West is arrested and charged with first degree murder and attempted armed robbery. At trial, the State called the emergency room physician who testified that the victim told him that "West tried to steal his gold neck chain and shot him." The defense objected and argued that the testimony was inadmissible hearsay. The State argued that the statement that West tried to steal the victim's chain was not hearsay and was admissible as a statement of identification. The State further argued that the statement that the victim was shot was admissible as a statement for purpose of medical treatment.
2. Based upon the legal arguments presented, the court should rule
(A) the statement that West tried to steal the victim's chain is admissible and the statement that the victim was shot is inadmissible.
(B) the statement that the victim was shot is admissible and the statement that West tried to steal the victim's chain is inadmissible.
(C) both statements are admissible.
(D) both statements are inadmissible.
3. Following the testimony of the physician, the State offered into evidence a copy of the report of the investigating police officer setting forth the officer's observations at the scene of the crime. The evidence is
(A) admissible as a recorded recollection.
(B) admissible as a public report.
(C) inadmissible because it is hearsay not within any exception. (D) inadmissible because the original report is required.
Last edited by 941law on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

legal10101

Bronze

Post by legal10101 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:58 am

941law wrote:
max2000 wrote:How exactly is everyone approaching FL crim law? Where would it even show up, a sub-topic of a tort essay or something? It's own essay topic?

There will be Fl Crim Pro on the multiple choice Tuesday afternoon. They guarantee that, as well as Fl Civ Pro, and Fl Rules of Judicial Administration 2.330, 2.420, 2.505, and 2.515.

As for Fl Crim Law, it got it's own essay years ago so you could view a couple essays just to be safe. Issues like homicide, robbery, rape, etc and then inchoate crimes.

Here is a sample Fl Crim Pro question:
Quesuons 2 – 3 are based on the following fact situation.
West is arrested and charged with first degree murder and attempted armed robbery. At trial, the State called the emergency room physician who testified that the victim told him that "West tried to steal his gold neck chain and shot him." The defense objected and argued that the testimony was inadmissible hearsay. The State argued that the statement that West tried to steal the victim's chain was not hearsay and was admissible as a statement of identification. The State further argued that the statement that the victim was shot was admissible as a statement for purpose of medical treatment.
2. Based upon the legal arguments presented, the court should rule
(A) the statement that West tried to steal the victim's chain is admissible and the statement that the victim was shot is inadmissible.
(B) the statement that the victim was shot is admissible and the statement that West tried to steal the victim's chain is inadmissible.
(C) both statements are admissible.
(D) both statements are inadmissible.
3. Following the testimony of the physician, the State offered into evidence a copy of the report of the investigating police officer setting forth the officer's observations at the scene of the crime. The evidence is
(A) admissible as a recorded recollection.
(B) admissible as a public report.
(C) inadmissible because it is hearsay not within any exception. (D) inadmissible because the original report is required.

This is entirely Evidence.... Hearsay.... Does FL classify Evidence under Crim Pro.... So it is "always" tested?

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:18 am

Oh sorry, that evidence question was labeled wrong. Not sure if I have a fla crim pro question that isn't just made up from Barbri.

Here is a judicial administration question:

defendant was seen leaving Neighbor's yard with Neighbor's new $10 garden hose. Neighbor called the police, who charged Defendant with the second-degree misdemeanor of petit theft by issuing him a notice to appear in the county courthouse one week later.
Defendant appeared at the scheduled place and time and asked the judge to appoint a lawyer to represent him. The judge found Defendant to be indigent. The judge
(A) must appoint Defendant a lawyer.
(B) must appoint Defendant a lawyer if the State subsequently charges Defendant
by information.
(C) need not appoint Defendant a lawyer if the judge states in writing that
Defendant will not go to jail for more than six months if convicted.
(D) need not appoint Defendant a lawyer if the judge states in writing that
Defendant will not go to jail at all if convicted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

max2000

New

Post by max2000 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Do you have the answer/explanation on that one?

blackdrum

New

Post by blackdrum » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:02 pm

941law wrote:Oh sorry, that evidence question was labeled wrong. Not sure if I have a fla crim pro question that isn't just made up from Barbri.

Here is a judicial administration question:

defendant was seen leaving Neighbor's yard with Neighbor's new $10 garden hose. Neighbor called the police, who charged Defendant with the second-degree misdemeanor of petit theft by issuing him a notice to appear in the county courthouse one week later.
Defendant appeared at the scheduled place and time and asked the judge to appoint a lawyer to represent him. The judge found Defendant to be indigent. The judge
(A) must appoint Defendant a lawyer.
(B) must appoint Defendant a lawyer if the State subsequently charges Defendant
by information.
(C) need not appoint Defendant a lawyer if the judge states in writing that
Defendant will not go to jail for more than six months if convicted.
(D) need not appoint Defendant a lawyer if the judge states in writing that
Defendant will not go to jail at all if convicted.
I would answer D.

Fl Rules of Crim Pro 3.111 (b). "Counsel shall be provided to indigent persons in all
prosecutions for offenses punishable by incarceration including appeals from
the conviction thereof. In the discretion of the court, counsel does not have to
be provided to an indigent person in a prosecution for a misdemeanor or
violation of a municipal ordinance if the judge, at least 15 days prior to trial,
files in the cause a written order of no incarceration certifying that the
defendant will not be incarcerated in the case pending trial or probation
violation hearing, or as part of a sentence after trial, guilty or nolo contendere
plea, or probation revocation."

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:12 pm

max2000 wrote:Do you have the answer/explanation on that one?
D

max2000

New

Post by max2000 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:26 pm

Ah ok thanks, and yeah I picked D. For some reason C was appealing to me too but I think I'm getting concepts mixed up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

legal10101

Bronze

Post by legal10101 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:31 am

So a big part of me thinks that if Juvenile Delinquency appears, it will do so in MC form. Thoughts?

Bubbles 4 Life

Gold

Post by Bubbles 4 Life » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:54 am

Last edited by Bubbles 4 Life on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:36 am

legal10101 wrote:So a big part of me thinks that if Juvenile Delinquency appears, it will do so in MC form. Thoughts?
Adding a new subject to the MC would be a huge change. I really hope they don't do that. Im still banking on procedure, evidence, and wills.

Cydiego

New

Post by Cydiego » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:25 am

LAW813FL wrote:
legal10101 wrote:So a big part of me thinks that if Juvenile Delinquency appears, it will do so in MC form. Thoughts?
Adding a new subject to the MC would be a huge change. I really hope they don't do that. Im still banking on procedure, evidence, and wills.
It would not be a stand alone subject but rather combined w criminal procedure, similar to the rules of judicial administration.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:58 am

I disagree. It has to be Stand-alone. They say that they only touch on 3 subjects per segment (wtf is a segment?), so it's a numbers game. sure they could throw a juvi question in MC but that would count as a subject within a segment. Apparently there are 6 segments on Tuesday. My guess is the 3 essays count as 3 segments. Which all makes sense because that rule opens up 18 subjects as fair game.

Cydiego

New

Post by Cydiego » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:20 pm

941law wrote:I disagree. It has to be Stand-alone. They say that they only touch on 3 subjects per segment (wtf is a segment?), so it's a numbers game. sure they could throw a juvi question in MC but that would count as a subject within a segment. Apparently there are 6 segments on Tuesday. My guess is the 3 essays count as 3 segments. Which all makes sense because that rule opens up 18 subjects as fair game.
This makes no sense. First of all who said they only test three subjects per segment? Even if that were the case there's nothing stopping them from testing more. They set the rules and the rules are changing as evidenced from recent prior exams. It's impossible to predict what will be tested and how, but it's false to suggest a subject must be tested a certain way. Anything is fair game, within reason. If tested, I think there's a good chance it's tested with Fl Crim Pro MC but it might also be as an essay subject.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:15 pm

Cydiego wrote:
This makes no sense. First of all who said they only test three subjects per segment? Even if that were the case there's nothing stopping them from testing more. They set the rules and the rules are changing as evidenced from recent prior exams. It's impossible to predict what will be tested and how, but it's false to suggest a subject must be tested a certain way. Anything is fair game, within reason. If tested, I think there's a good chance it's tested with Fl Crim Pro MC but it might also be as an essay subject.
You're wrong and I didn't suggest it would be tested in a certain way, i.e. MC or essay, just that it would count as a subject. They won't go against their own rules, unless they change the rules prior to the exam. They said it (below), plus I called them last month. They do "have a private formula." What we get to learn is that there are 6 segments and no more than 3 subjects per segment, etc, etc. How the segments are divided is the question. From what I gathered it was 3 on MC and 3 on Essay - which I hate to break it to you, makes perfect sense. So as I said before, Juvi would be it's own subject (in my opinion) and could, within their rules, fit into MC segment #2 or #3. This is a dumb discussion though because by their rules they could hit us with 9 different subjects on the MC and 18 different subjects all together. We know they won't, but we also know to study all the damn material. Furthermore, I called to figure out how many subjects, as defined by them, we are responsible for and when I said 17 she said that sounded correct. Go figure. In reality, it's more like 18-19.

"The General Bar Examination consists of two parts: Part A and Part B. Part A consists of three hours spent answering essay questions and three hours of 100 multiple-choice questions. Florida Rules of Civil and Criminal Procedure and the Florida Rules of Judicial Administration 2.330, 2.420, 2.505, and 2.515 comprise one segment. The remaining five segments, each of which will embrace no more than three subjects, are selected from the following subjects, including their equitable aspects:....."

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:42 pm

I doubt that they will change the test that much. They always test crim pro/ civ pro/ judicial ad all together in one section. And each section can only test three subjects max. So it can't be tested with crim pro mc unless they totally change everything about the structure of their test. I'm thinking crim/civ/jud., evidence, and wills will be the MC, but it could also be b.e.

There are three multiple choice "segments" and each of the three essays is a "segment," according to Board.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”