Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JohnQP

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by JohnQP » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:03 pm

First time taker.

Part A: 161
Part B: 173

I didn't feel good about all the procedure questions on the multiple choice and I missed some obvious stuff on the con law question, but I guess it didn't matter. Lost a half a point on the MBE from the last time I took it for a different j/d, but I didn't feel nearly as prepared this time around.

Has anyone on here done part time work tutoring the LSAT or bar exam in FL as a side hustle? I took a nonprofit job so I could sleep at night, but I'm definitely going to need some extra scrilla...

JustPass

New

Post by JustPass » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:48 pm

This may help the people that need clarity on Florida law. Specifically for Florida essays. This will allow you to study Florida Black letter law for essays. I used this as well. Here is the title” essay rule paragraphs for the Florida Bar”. I downloaded it on Kindle. It’s cheap and it helped me with making sure I know Florida law, inside and out. Don’t know if it will help anyone in here, but it’s worth a try. After all the money everyone has spent on review books, this one is not expensive and is broken down by subject matter.

randomletters

New

Post by randomletters » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:42 pm

allymariee19 wrote:2nd time taker here. First time I did horrible on MBE, which I already suspected I would. Was able to pull a 145 on FL and still failed by 5 points lol

July 2019 - did way worse on FL but brought up MBE by over 12 points. Failed by 4 points.
Next time, Feb 2020 I am only taking MBE. I cannot do FL again it is brutal.

Going to hire a private Tutor. Heddy Muransky. Is anyone familiar with her?

I also did use adaptibar and barbri both times around.
I was thinking about using her for Feb 2020. I just have to retake FL. Did you hear anything about her? Everyone I asked told me to use Grossman but I everyone I know that actually used him said he isn't helpful.

New

Post by 0134580 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:08 am

Last edited by 0134580 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

New

Post by 0134580 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:09 am

randomletters wrote:
allymariee19 wrote:2nd time taker here. First time I did horrible on MBE, which I already suspected I would. Was able to pull a 145 on FL and still failed by 5 points lol

July 2019 - did way worse on FL but brought up MBE by over 12 points. Failed by 4 points.
Next time, Feb 2020 I am only taking MBE. I cannot do FL again it is brutal.

Going to hire a private Tutor. Heddy Muransky. Is anyone familiar with her?

I also did use adaptibar and barbri both times around.
I was thinking about using her for Feb 2020. I just have to retake FL. Did you hear anything about her? Everyone I asked told me to use Grossman but I everyone I know that actually used him said he isn't helpful.

I had her as a mentor when she was at Nova. She was very negative, mean spirited and condescending. She even told me not to take the bar because in her opinion I would fail, which I did not, I did very very well. I’m not sure how she is as an actual bar prep turor, but I know students ( and faculty) did not like her.

Grossman came to my school twice. His advice was good, I like how he delivers it and he has a few good tips and tricks, but I felt like it wasn’t enough for me. I felt like he misstated some of the law and left a lot of important details out. Now, to be fair, he was only there a few days so I realize he couldn’t go into details about everything. But even in his video lectures on Adaptibar, I felt Like some topics he oversimplifies it, such that unless you know everything he says “perfectly” you’re bound to fail Bc there isn’t much wiggle room, if that makes sense. I thought his videos were great if you were already familiar wth a subject but needed a refresher or a second look at it. When I studied for the bar this past administration, I used Themis and I outlined for every subject except for con law. I ran out of time quite frankly. But I listened to his lecture on AdaptiBar, took good notes, and that was a life saver. I truly felt I knew enough of con law to do well. But again I memorized everything he said and I knew that cold. I practiced on AdaptiBar just con law questions and I was averaging between 75-80 percent. So, again I don’t think grossman is terrible, I just think he is a good supplement...
Speaking of supplements, I loved AdaptiBar and I would recommend.
These are only my opinions and I hope you find what works best for you. Good luck

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Allegedly88

New

Post by Allegedly88 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:01 pm

Is anyone who is retaking the bar in February starting to study now?

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:46 am

Anyone who submitted their oath of attorney get anything back from the Board or any type of confirmation via the lawyer member search?

I mailed mine the day of my swear in nearly 3 weeks ago.

katrinax0x17

New

Post by katrinax0x17 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:17 pm

Allegedly88 wrote:Is anyone who is retaking the bar in February starting to study now?
Yes, I am doing barbri early start. I work full time so trying to make the most of my time slowly.

Allegedly88

New

Post by Allegedly88 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:25 pm

katrinax0x17 wrote:
Allegedly88 wrote:Is anyone who is retaking the bar in February starting to study now?
Yes, I am doing barbri early start. I work full time so trying to make the most of my time slowly.
I am working as well. I just had the worst conversation with my mom. I dont know if you or anyone else has had this discussion but she told me I need to limit the amount of times I take the exam bc it might not be meant to be if i keep failing - I have failed three times and passed FL portion in February 2019. I also need to start making decent money and start my life - I am almost 32.
Her comment upset me because this is the only thing i want to do for a job and I am truly worried that I cant pass this test. I am a horrible test taker so I am already at a disadvantage.
How would you guys handle this? I feel more defeated than ever.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FloridaLawyer2B

New

Post by FloridaLawyer2B » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:55 pm

So I have a general question (and I see this has been asked above a couple times)...

I'm only retaking the MBE in February as I passed the Florida portion. A member on here was also gracious enough to help me with study materials.

Question: working full time (nights), when should I start prepping for the MBE and does anyone have any strategies to suggest? I've done Barbri in the past for the full exam, but I don't feel like shelling out thousands again for another course. Thank you all in advance.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:18 am

FloridaLawyer2B wrote:So I have a general question (and I see this has been asked above a couple times)...

I'm only retaking the MBE in February as I passed the Florida portion. A member on here was also gracious enough to help me with study materials.

Question: working full time (nights), when should I start prepping for the MBE and does anyone have any strategies to suggest? I've done Barbri in the past for the full exam, but I don't feel like shelling out thousands again for another course. Thank you all in advance.
Two to three months of study is sufficient. Look to do a six to eight hour days of review. The full BarBri course isn't necessary if you've already done it before. Reviewing their handouts in combination with the Mini Review is good enough if you have them on hand. In reality though, all that I really needed to do to pass that portion of the exam was to listen very closely to Jon Grossman's lectures, and take notes therefrom. Also, drill as many questions on Adaptibar as humanly possible. Review their answers with a fine-toothed comb. You'll be OK if you do those things.

katrinax0x17

New

Post by katrinax0x17 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:56 pm

Did anybody contest their score? And if so, how long did it take for a response? I sent a letter last week via fax but I need to sign up for February in November. I work full time so I already am more than half way through barbri early start since I need to take the entire bar and haven’t studied for the MBE in two years. I took just Florida in July because my MBE score transferred but failed by 5 points so I’m stuck taking everything again since my score expired. Anybody else do barbri early start to get ahead with working full time as a lawyer?

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:57 am

katrinax0x17 wrote:Did anybody contest their score? And if so, how long did it take for a response? I sent a letter last week via fax but I need to sign up for February in November. I work full time so I already am more than half way through barbri early start since I need to take the entire bar and haven’t studied for the MBE in two years. I took just Florida in July because my MBE score transferred but failed by 5 points so I’m stuck taking everything again since my score expired. Anybody else do barbri early start to get ahead with working full time as a lawyer?
I contested. Takes at least a month to arrive by mail. Regardless, I'd count on signing up for February. I've never heard of anyone successfully challenging their score for anything greater than half a point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:16 pm

katrinax0x17 wrote:Did anybody contest their score? And if so, how long did it take for a response? I sent a letter last week via fax but I need to sign up for February in November. I work full time so I already am more than half way through barbri early start since I need to take the entire bar and haven’t studied for the MBE in two years. I took just Florida in July because my MBE score transferred but failed by 5 points so I’m stuck taking everything again since my score expired. Anybody else do barbri early start to get ahead with working full time as a lawyer?
They just double check your scantron points and the math/grading. They don't take a deep look whatsoever.

Allegedly88

New

Post by Allegedly88 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:07 am

I started studying last week and working full time. Where did you transfer your score from?
This is my 4th and last attempt at the MBE so hopefully passing is in my favor.
I didnt think barbri early start actually started this early!

JuliusCaesar

Bronze

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:37 am

Posted this in it's own thread but have gotten no responses, so I'm thinking this may get better advice here.

I am planning to take the February Florida bar. I just passed a UBE bar with an overall score somewhere in the top 1% and a scaled MBE score in the top 1%. I want to take the Florida bar while all of the information is decently fresh in my mind from the July UBE bar. Herein lies my dilemma:
Florida will allow me to transfer my MBE score, but it will not be averaged into my overall score. Thus, to pass the Florida bar, I will need a 136 on the Florida specific day which I have read is not necessarily easy to do. So if I transfer my score, I can presumably study a bit less overall, but also won't have an MBE score to pick up my essays if I don't do well on them.

Conversely, if I don't transfer my MBE score, I would have to take the entire Florida bar which would mean more studying and no guarantee of doing well on the MBE again.

I am somewhat confident I could score high on the MBE again, but I currently am working full time as a biglaw associate so I will have nowhere near the same amount of time to study as I did this summer. So I am fairly certain my MBE will drop some. My main dilemma is whether I chance the MBE again and believe I'll score well enough to carry the day or if I just put all my effort into the Florida day and hope that I am able to earn a 136 on it.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:18 am

JuliusCaesar wrote:Posted this in it's own thread but have gotten no responses, so I'm thinking this may get better advice here.

I am planning to take the February Florida bar. I just passed a UBE bar with an overall score somewhere in the top 1% and a scaled MBE score in the top 1%. I want to take the Florida bar while all of the information is decently fresh in my mind from the July UBE bar. Herein lies my dilemma:
Florida will allow me to transfer my MBE score, but it will not be averaged into my overall score. Thus, to pass the Florida bar, I will need a 136 on the Florida specific day which I have read is not necessarily easy to do. So if I transfer my score, I can presumably study a bit less overall, but also won't have an MBE score to pick up my essays if I don't do well on them.

Conversely, if I don't transfer my MBE score, I would have to take the entire Florida bar which would mean more studying and no guarantee of doing well on the MBE again.

I am somewhat confident I could score high on the MBE again, but I currently am working full time as a biglaw associate so I will have nowhere near the same amount of time to study as I did this summer. So I am fairly certain my MBE will drop some. My main dilemma is whether I chance the MBE again and believe I'll score well enough to carry the day or if I just put all my effort into the Florida day and hope that I am able to earn a 136 on it.
Interesting dilemma. We would need to know what your MBE score was and might be. For example, if it was 143, then you're better off just transferring in the MBE score.

Part A has a TON of topics. On one hand, you are in essence studying for the mbe while studying for Part A. On the other hand, the Part A MC topics, and some essays, are entirely different than the MBE. You can't only know MBE and pass Part A by itself (ie a 136).

If you think you can get a 155 or higher in Feb. then maybe re-take MBE and shoot for a +117 Part A (via knowing the MC topics), because luckily you will get 2-3 MBE subject essays on Part A most likely.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JuliusCaesar

Bronze

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:36 pm

not guilty wrote:
JuliusCaesar wrote:Posted this in it's own thread but have gotten no responses, so I'm thinking this may get better advice here.

Interesting dilemma. We would need to know what your MBE score was and might be. For example, if it was 143, then you're better off just transferring in the MBE score.

Part A has a TON of topics. On one hand, you are in essence studying for the mbe while studying for Part A. On the other hand, the Part A MC topics, and some essays, are entirely different than the MBE. You can't only know MBE and pass Part A by itself (ie a 136).

If you think you can get a 155 or higher in Feb. then maybe re-take MBE and shoot for a +117 Part A (via knowing the MC topics), because luckily you will get 2-3 MBE subject essays on Part A most likely.
Thanks for your response. My scaled MBE score from this past exam was between 167-171 (preserving some anonymity by not giving actual number...lol). I averaged around 65% correct on thousands of practice questions via adaptibar and themis so I think I outperformed my average just a bit. I think I definitely can score at least a 150 or so on the MBE this next time around.
You raise an interesting point about essentially studying for the MBE while studying for part A. If I am going to be doing that already, it would make sense to retake the MBE to have that cushion, right?

2 questions:

1. Do I have to elect to take the whole exam when I submit my application by November 15? Or can I later elect whether to transfer my score in or not (I see the deadline for that is January 15).

2. If I fail the exam, and decide to retake in July, am I prevented from retaking in a different manner than February? (I.e. transfer score in february, retake whole exam in July or vice versa).

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:30 pm

1. I believe you have to decide when you submit your application but I'd check with the bar.

2. No, I'm pretty sure you could still transfer your score if you fail in February.

I'm currently in a similar situation, I passed the MBE in July but failed FL. If you're sure you'll get a 150+ then just take both, it could give you a cushion if you mess up on the essays. As stated above FL has a ton of essay topics and they love to throw curveballs. The mc questions also suck, especially since it's likely they'll include Business Entities. I'm only taking FL because I passed the MBE only by a few points and can't afford to spend a bunch of time on adaptibar stuff.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:12 am

JuliusCaesar wrote:
not guilty wrote:

Thanks for your response. My scaled MBE score from this past exam was between 167-171 (preserving some anonymity by not giving actual number...lol). I averaged around 65% correct on thousands of practice questions via adaptibar and themis so I think I outperformed my average just a bit. I think I definitely can score at least a 150 or so on the MBE this next time around.
You raise an interesting point about essentially studying for the MBE while studying for part A. If I am going to be doing that already, it would make sense to retake the MBE to have that cushion, right?

2 questions:

1. Do I have to elect to take the whole exam when I submit my application by November 15? Or can I later elect whether to transfer my score in or not (I see the deadline for that is January 15).

2. If I fail the exam, and decide to retake in July, am I prevented from retaking in a different manner than February? (I.e. transfer score in february, retake whole exam in July or vice versa).
I would sit for both sections.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:43 am

JuliusCaesar wrote: Thanks for your response. My scaled MBE score from this past exam was between 167-171 (preserving some anonymity by not giving actual number...lol). I averaged around 65% correct on thousands of practice questions via adaptibar and themis so I think I outperformed my average just a bit. I think I definitely can score at least a 150 or so on the MBE this next time around.

2 questions:

1. You have to tell the examiners which parts you are taking. however you can just check "both parts" and not take the MBE if you so choose. No big deal. On Part A (Tuesday) just sign the statement form on your desk.

2. No, you are not.

Only thing I will note is that your MBE score might have to be within 24 months to be valid right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Allegedly88

New

Post by Allegedly88 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:33 pm

How do I pass the MBE? All of my practice tests and question sets were 65 and above. Some were in the 80s some were 90s. Then on test day for the third time now I fail the MBE. I passed florida already and I need to pass the MBE before my florida score expires.
The MBE is impossible and I am not great with multiple choice. What do I do!??
Frustrated. Defeated.

katrinax0x17

New

Post by katrinax0x17 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:48 pm

:P
not guilty wrote:

I was in exactly your same situation when I took Florida in July. I passed the UBE with flying colors July 2017 and had my MBE score from NY of a 143 transferred to Florida. I liked the idea of only taking Day 1 of the bar and also because I am a full time practicing lawyer with no chance to take time off. Nobody explained that I should’ve just done both days anyway due to the averaging of the scores. I failed Florida by 5 points so now I have to retake the entire bar if I want to try again since my MBE score expired. I would suggest just taking both days as a backup in hindsight.

katrinax0x17

New

Post by katrinax0x17 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:20 am

Day two of the Florida bar is just 100 MC questions in the AM and 100 MC questions in the afternoon? So the actual MBE?

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:54 pm

katrinax0x17 wrote:Day two of the Florida bar is just 100 MC questions in the AM and 100 MC questions in the afternoon? So the actual MBE?
Wednesday is the MBE.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”