Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
camturner

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by camturner » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:10 am

Finally got my score in the mail. 156/169. Didn’t expect that but I’m happy about it!

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Passed in July and got oath packet today, after the numerous amendments and reams of paper I never thought this day would come. Even after a "we found this, please explain" letter, which I responded honestly and truthfully to.

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:36 pm

alexgreat wrote:So I wish someone could explain this to me but
Part A: 135
Part B: 134

Missed it, even though I did better than the mean raw score on 5 out of the 6 Florida subjects. I scored 11 points higher than the mean essay averages and scored only 1.9 points below the Florida MC average. I had a raw score of 175 scaled down to 135. Honestly I don't understand it at all. I am thinking about having them reread my essays in hopes of maybe getting an extra scaled point so I do not need to retake Florida again...anyone know of a tutor in south florida? I dont want to leave anything to chance for the 3rd time.
??? How did you lose so many points when they scaled down your score??? I thought they only change the raw score and the scaled score by 2 or 3 points and the same amount for everyone. Does anyone know anything about the raw score and scaled score???

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:37 pm

Derek Vinyard wrote: ??? How did you lose so many points when they scaled down your score??? I thought they only change the raw score and the scaled score by 2 or 3 points and the same amount for everyone. Does anyone know anything about the raw score and scaled score???
They do not reveal their math. It actually says "don't try and calculate it yourself" or something to that effect. Zero transparency.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Missed it, even though I did better than the mean raw score on 5 out of the 6 Florida subjects. I scored 11 points higher than the mean essay averages and scored only 1.9 points below the Florida MC average. I had a raw score of 175 scaled down to 135. Honestly I don't understand it at all. I am thinking about having them reread my essays in hopes of maybe getting an extra scaled point so I do not need to retake Florida again...anyone know of a tutor in south florida? I dont want to leave anything to chance for the 3rd time.
I'm convinced they are controlling the exact passing rate of Part A through this mythical "scaling." It would be very easy to do. The exams get graded, they have everyone's raw scores, then they scale accordingly with no explanation.

The mean raw score total (before scaling) was 164. So how many students failed with a 164 or even a 175 like you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:50 pm

not guilty wrote:

I'm convinced they are controlling the exact passing rate of Part A through this mythical "scaling." It would be very easy to do. The exams get graded, they have everyone's raw scores, then they scale accordingly with no explanation.

The mean raw score total (before scaling) was 164. So how many students failed with a 164 or even a 175 like you?
I could be wrong, but what seems to make sense is that each section of part A is only worth a certain percentage, so if you score very high on one section and score a couple points below the mean on all the other sections, your very high score from the one section won't be worth enough points for your to pass part A because that individual section is only worth a percentage of part A itself. So, with 6 sections each one is only worth a certain percentage (and im pretty sure that the percentage each of the 6 sections of part A are worth are determined by that section's mean). This is how I interpreted the board's analysis of how the scores are calculated. The board also mentions that part A is scaled the same way as the MBE. :idea:

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:00 am

Derek Vinyard wrote:
I could be wrong, but what seems to make sense is that each section of part A is only worth a certain percentage, so if you score very high on one section and score a couple points below the mean on all the other sections, your very high score from the one section won't be worth enough points for your to pass part A because that individual section is only worth a percentage of part A itself. So, with 6 sections each one is only worth a certain percentage (and im pretty sure that the percentage each of the 6 sections of part A are worth are determined by that section's mean). This is how I interpreted the board's analysis of how the scores are calculated. The board also mentions that part A is scaled the same way as the MBE. :idea:
Yeah, it almost seems like they don't scale mc points at all and then they scale essay points down accordingly. It also appears one couldn't pass based off a great essay showing and a poor mc showing, generally speaking. Otherwise I would think alexgreat would have passed (175 raw score).

F Lee Bailor

New

Post by F Lee Bailor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:54 pm

sallysitwell wrote:Hoping someone who has taken the FL bar could give me some insights. I am taking the FL bar this July, but I'm only doing the FL section (Part A), as I'm transferring my MBE score from another jurisdiction. I don't want to purchase a bar prep course--I plan on buying a BARBRI conviser mini review and practice essay book from ebay. I am also going to review the FL study guides that the state publishes, but I'm wondering if this will be enough? I know that there are FL specific multiple choice questions I need to prepare for, but how difficult is this section? I'm wondering if there are other resources outside of typical bar prep materials that are available and would help me prepare?
I did same thing this February. I took Barbri course and 1 month off work. Passed with 138. Just got mpre result today (my previous score fell outside of the 25 month rule.) All I need now is C&F clearance. The Barbri multiple choice and past essays got me thru. Good luck.

Xonessakayyox

New

Post by Xonessakayyox » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 pm

sallysitwell wrote:Hoping someone who has taken the FL bar could give me some insights. I am taking the FL bar this July, but I'm only doing the FL section (Part A), as I'm transferring my MBE score from another jurisdiction. I don't want to purchase a bar prep course--I plan on buying a BARBRI conviser mini review and practice essay book from ebay. I am also going to review the FL study guides that the state publishes, but I'm wondering if this will be enough? I know that there are FL specific multiple choice questions I need to prepare for, but how difficult is this section? I'm wondering if there are other resources outside of typical bar prep materials that are available and would help me prepare?
For the essays, review all past essay questions and answers posted on the Bar’s website. It gave me a good feel on what subjects they like to test and how. Try to outline them too, if you have the time. For the MC question, the best you can do is know the Fla distinctions. As others have stated, you will always feel like you didn’t get a single question right but that’s never the case.

I also have my old Fla Themis outlines if you want them.

Part A:151 Part B:149

I went to school out of state and saw Fla law for the first time during Bar prep. I found the outlines and outlining old essays to be most helpful for the Fla section.

Best of luck to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:59 am

mystikal wrote:So, I received my results for the Florida Bar Examination...sadly I Failed, by 7 points.
I am mind boggled because essay 1 was much higher than essay 3. I brought back my testing material (for the essay) with all of my notes, and know for sure I nailed the commercial and secured transactions essay. However, my score seems like I completely bombed it. I was thinking about having the exam re-graded. Has anyone in this jurisdiction or any other challenge the board? Appeal?
Thanks for any input.
I'm right there with you. My essay scores make no sense based off my knowledge of the law. My guess on points for essays 1-3 were 55, 40, and 35. In the end they gave essay 1 and 2 the exact same points and destroyed me in essay 3.

You have to recognize that they scale points (especially for essay), so even if they gave you 8 more raw points you wouldn't necessarily pass.

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:55 am

Xonessakayyox wrote:
For the essays, review all past essay questions and answers posted on the Bar’s website. It gave me a good feel on what subjects they like to test and how. Try to outline them too, if you have the time. For the MC question, the best you can do is know the Fla distinctions. As others have stated, you will always feel like you didn’t get a single question right but that’s never the case.

I also have my old Fla Themis outlines if you want them.

Part A:151 Part B:149

I went to school out of state and saw Fla law for the first time during Bar prep. I found the outlines and outlining old essays to be most helpful for the Fla section.

Best of luck to you.
I may be interested in those outlines. That is a really good fl score. Please send them to my gmail: okcomNOSPAMputer516@gmail (remove nospam). Thanks!!

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:51 pm

camturner wrote:Finally got my score in the mail. 156/169. Didn’t expect that but I’m happy about it!
What did you use to prepare to get a mbe score that high?

LSATobsessed

New

Post by LSATobsessed » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:36 pm

anyone get a confirmation from the bar after sending back their notarized swear in form?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

camturner

New

Post by camturner » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Derek Vinyard wrote:
camturner wrote:Finally got my score in the mail. 156/169. Didn’t expect that but I’m happy about it!
What did you use to prepare to get a mbe score that high?
I did Themis bar review and did watch all of the lectures. I studied the lecture outlines only and just took tons of practice tests through Themis. I literally did all of them and then went back as the test got closer (and I had studied more) and redid the questions I had missed.

dubj

New

Post by dubj » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:38 pm

Passed FL. Looking at joining federal appellate and u.s. supreme court bars once my stuff goes through. Is this another investigation into my soul or is this more of fill out a form and write them a check? Thank you!!

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:58 pm

dubj wrote:Passed FL. Looking at joining federal appellate and u.s. supreme court bars once my stuff goes through. Is this another investigation into my soul or is this more of fill out a form and write them a check? Thank you!!
Federal courts are easy, certificate(s) of good standing and a check. Some I know you need a sponsor, not sure about FL.

US Supreme court there is a term of admission requirement I think it's 3 years, but don't quote me.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon May 14, 2018 9:43 am

They do not re-grade essays by the way, not in the traditional sense. I think they re-count everything to make sure your total score made sense.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

camturner

New

Post by camturner » Mon May 14, 2018 2:53 pm

If anyone knows of anyone looking for private tutoring for the FL bar, I'm willing to do some. 20 years of experience practicing and took the FL bar in February 2018, scoring 156/169. I would tutor mostly remotely from Chicago, though I do spend time in the Miami area for a week or two every month. Rates are reasonable and somewhat negotiable. Feel free to email me at cameronturner1972@gmail.com with inquiries.

Thanks.

austinselliott

New

Post by austinselliott » Thu May 24, 2018 5:58 pm

I just ordered BarMax to supplement my Barbri studying since they have almost 2,000 real MBE questions, unlike Barbri. Chose it over Adaptibar since you can access the questions on Barmax for life since there is no expiration. The question set also comes with analytics (which track your progress/tells you what you need to improve on). They are currently offering a 10% discount for the set of 1,750+ questions, which makes the price $270. PM if you want the 10% off code.

FLBAR0718

New

Post by FLBAR0718 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:13 am

I took the UBE in NY in February then took a job in FL recently. I’m finishing up my application for the FL Bar (late, I know), and it asks for a copy of my Bar application from NY. I cannot, for the life of me, find where I can get access to this. I haven’t taken the NYLE or filed any of the admission paperwork/forms, just the initial bar application for the exam. Is it okay to just forward the FL Bar the emails I received from the NY bar stating my application was received and the letter saying I passed?

If I remember correctly, the NY bar application to sit for the bar is only a few pages and takes like 10 minutes to complete so it’s not like it has any information on it.

Has anyone else been in a similar position?

Thank you in advance for your help.

rkreymer

Bronze

Post by rkreymer » Sat May 26, 2018 3:47 pm

FLBAR0718 wrote:I took the UBE in NY in February then took a job in FL recently. I’m finishing up my application for the FL Bar (late, I know), and it asks for a copy of my Bar application from NY. I cannot, for the life of me, find where I can get access to this. I haven’t taken the NYLE or filed any of the admission paperwork/forms, just the initial bar application for the exam. Is it okay to just forward the FL Bar the emails I received from the NY bar stating my application was received and the letter saying I passed?

If I remember correctly, the NY bar application to sit for the bar is only a few pages and takes like 10 minutes to complete so it’s not like it has any information on it.

You should always keep a copy of everything you submit. I think you can request a copy from NCBE.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:54 pm

FLBAR0718 wrote:I took the UBE in NY in February then took a job in FL recently. I’m finishing up my application for the FL Bar (late, I know), and it asks for a copy of my Bar application from NY. I cannot, for the life of me, find where I can get access to this. I haven’t taken the NYLE or filed any of the admission paperwork/forms, just the initial bar application for the exam. Is it okay to just forward the FL Bar the emails I received from the NY bar stating my application was received and the letter saying I passed?

You have to contact BOLE. I kept paper copies of everything, though you may be able to access it through your BOLE account. I sent my BOLE app to Florida, not sure it's required, but better to send it then to have one more info request letter come in the mail. They may also inquire why you didnt use your UBE score to be admitted in a UBE jurisdiction.

florida2015

New

Post by florida2015 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi Everyone! Does anyone know where I can access Barbri's MBE mixed question sets? They are no longer in the MPQ book as of Summer 2018. If you know of any alternatives that I could do to supplement this assignment, I'd appreciate it. They're being assigned to me by my school. Thank you!

FLBAR0718

New

Post by FLBAR0718 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:44 pm

rkreymer wrote:

You should always keep a copy of everything you submit. I think you can request a copy from NCBE.
Thanks. I’m just wondering why you think it would make sense to contact NCBE? I’ll do so on Tuesday but not sure why.

FLBAR0718

New

Post by FLBAR0718 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:47 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:

You have to contact BOLE. I kept paper copies of everything, though you may be able to access it through your BOLE account. I sent my BOLE app to Florida, not sure it's required, but better to send it then to have one more info request letter come in the mail. They may also inquire why you didnt use your UBE score to be admitted in a UBE jurisdiction.
Yeah, I don’t have access to anything on my BOLE page. I never thought another state was going to ask for my bar exam application (especially for NY since it’s like 10 questions).

By BOLE app, what do you mean?

I think at this point I just have to send the confirmations and hope they don’t care or will ask for more info later on. I’m already late and the final deadline is June 15, so not sure if the NY bar would even send it in time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”