Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Hooyah

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by Hooyah » Fri May 03, 2019 12:14 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Hooyah wrote:
jmc15 wrote:
New users also can't reply to PMs until they hit 5 posts. But if jmc15 is willing, jmc could PM you their email address and you could then email jmc directly.
Roger that, thanks Q

jmc15

New

Post by jmc15 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:30 pm

johngotti wrote:
jmc15 wrote:If anyone wants FL essay outlines, I did every essay FL released so far and built my outline from that and barbri materials. I passed first time and am more than happy to share!
Yes that would be great. Thanks for the help.
No prob! I will preface this with the fact that I still remembered a lot from my previous bar exam, so not everything is super comprehensive. It got the job done though. I also worked full time while studying - so there are some dumb typos that i just didn't care to correct.

Here are my essay notes:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pmcpaD ... sp=sharing

Here is the link to my notecards. Password should be "florida". If any of them don't work, let me know.

https://quizlet.com/mcudd93

jmc15

New

Post by jmc15 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:32 pm

johngotti wrote:
jmc15 wrote:If anyone wants FL essay outlines, I did every essay FL released so far and built my outline from that and barbri materials. I passed first time and am more than happy to share!
Yes that would be great. Thanks for the help.

See my response to Hooyah.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:32 pm

Hooyah wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
florida2015 wrote:
Allegedly88 wrote:
florida2015 wrote:
I'm happy to jump in on this support group idea, and for my peeps in the Miami area, I'll be looking into possibly arranging study groups for locals, since I feel that this is something that I could have benefited from, but because I went to school in another state, never really got the chance to put into practice.
Hey Jmart, let me know if you’d like to meet up sometime to study.

I live in Miami and am taking the Florida only portion of the exam this July.

Thanks.
Down! Shoot me a PM and we can coordinate. If not, I will once I'm off work.

jmc15

New

Post by jmc15 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:38 am

Common stock wrote:
cmarin16 wrote:I'm really disappointed with the FL Bar exam. I failed in February 2019 for the second time. It's hard for me because I've been in the practice of Law in Puerto Rico for more than 10 years and dedicated two whole months out of work (January and February 2019). I studied really hard in those two months for more than 10 straight hours daily. The problem is that I'm running out of money and only been able to work in FL as a paralegal but wanna keep living here for the best of my family.

What most bothers me is that I failed FL part for 2 points. I don't understand how the scores are measured or scaled. I think my essays were not that bad except for Secure Transactions and Commercial Paper (Essay 2). My scores were 53 in Trusts, 20.5 in ST and Commercial Paper and 41.5 in Torts. My Raw Score was 164 but then my Scaled Score was 134. How the heck did I get down to a 134 Scaled Score on FL part???? My MBE was 127 so my overall was 130.5.

Does anyone think that I can make it next time??? I'm really afraid not to pass or do worst in July 2019. I'm starting next week to study part-time because I need to make some money.

Any thoughts?? Any recommendations???

I failed by half a point.

Hi Common Stock. I got your PM, but can't respond because I haven't posted enough. See my post on page 71 which includes an outline and notecards!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Mon May 06, 2019 2:26 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
johngotti wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:LOL at the letter that I just got from the bar saying that my results had been miscalculated, but that I still failed. Best troll ever.
I saw there was a revised first time pass list of the FL law schools. Who knows what happened with their bs scaling system. Did they change your score at all?
Nope. Score was exactly the same, but my confidence in their methods isn’t. I can’t discern what changed. I’ll have to look at my results side by side
So they mistakenly told 3 first time takers they failed and adjusted scores for 36 others. Hopefully the "numerous quality checks" happen for the July exam so this doesn't happen again.
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/ ... 091925001/

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:03 pm

johngotti wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
johngotti wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:LOL at the letter that I just got from the bar saying that my results had been miscalculated, but that I still failed. Best troll ever.
I saw there was a revised first time pass list of the FL law schools. Who knows what happened with their bs scaling system. Did they change your score at all?
Nope. Score was exactly the same, but my confidence in their methods isn’t. I can’t discern what changed. I’ll have to look at my results side by side
So they mistakenly told 3 first time takers they failed and adjusted scores for 36 others. Hopefully the "numerous quality checks" happen for the July exam so this doesn't happen again.
I feel bad for those 3, human error happens all over. Thank goodness they caught it now rather than June when the would be retakers were in the midst of studying.

Allegedly88

New

Post by Allegedly88 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:44 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:
johngotti wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
johngotti wrote:
I feel bad for those 3, human error happens all over. Thank goodness they caught it now rather than June when the would be retakers were in the midst of studying.
I cannot believe this! I wonder how they caught the mistake. If only we knew how they grade this shit.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:45 am

Allegedly88 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:
johngotti wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
johngotti wrote:
I cannot believe this! I wonder how they caught the mistake. If only we knew how they grade this shit.
The ineptitude comes as no surprise to me. I mean, if the powers that be in this state can't tabulate the results of an election, how can we expect them to do something as complex as a score the largely subjective and open-ended written portion of a professional licensing examination?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Allegedly88

New

Post by Allegedly88 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:57 pm

Not sure how many of you read about my two failures in july 2018 and february 2019. Well long story short my july failure was because my boyfriend who is a lawyer - broke up with me during bar prep. We all know a clear mind is needed for this exam and my mind was a cloud and i was a disaster. My own fault for not pulling it together but also a dick boyfriend for doing that. So we got back together last sept/october and he supported me through the feb bar and i passed the florida portion. Now that i have to retake the mbe for the third time he just told me he does not know if he wants to support me this third time because its stressful and he doesnt want to handle it- which means he doesnt care about me. So all that to say i had to break up with him because if he doesnt know then i cant wait around while i try to study.

However i am not sure if i have the right mind set to stufy because this is heartbreak and last july all over again with the same guy.

Is anyone else going through a breakup right before bar prep starts? I am really worried for myself that i wont be able to pull this off. I already had doubt about passing and now that my boyfriend doesnt want to support me and i find this out now - is shattering me.

The bar is no joke - idk what to do.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:54 pm

Allegedly88 wrote:Not sure how many of you read about my two failures in july 2018 and february 2019. Well long story short my july failure was because my boyfriend who is a lawyer - broke up with me during bar prep. We all know a clear mind is needed for this exam and my mind was a cloud and i was a disaster. My own fault for not pulling it together but also a dick boyfriend for doing that. So we got back together last sept/october and he supported me through the feb bar and i passed the florida portion. Now that i have to retake the mbe for the third time he just told me he does not know if he wants to support me this third time because its stressful and he doesnt want to handle it- which means he doesnt care about me. So all that to say i had to break up with him because if he doesnt know then i cant wait around while i try to study.

However i am not sure if i have the right mind set to stufy because this is heartbreak and last july all over again with the same guy.

Is anyone else going through a breakup right before bar prep starts? I am really worried for myself that i wont be able to pull this off. I already had doubt about passing and now that my boyfriend doesnt want to support me and i find this out now - is shattering me.

I totally understand, because I too went through a similar situation. I ended my relationship of three years with my live-in girlfriend, and moved from Durham back to Miami. During bar prep, she would dangle the prospect of us reconciling and would contact me regularly with emotional text and phone conversations which left an impression on me. At some point during my prep she told me that she felt that we had grown apart, but in actuality, she had a new boyfriend and just preferred not to tell me about it. All of this is my long-winded way of saying that it is best for the sake of your preparation that you extricate yourself from the situation as best as possible. It's bad enough to deal with the heartache of not having passed in the first place to also throw in a little romantic heartache on top of it. That's just my two cents, for whatever that's worth.

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Thu May 09, 2019 2:20 pm

For everyone's sanity you're probably better off using the "30 seconds" mantra from Heat during bar prep. There's still time to hang out with friends, go out, etc but it's best to put relationships on hold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MImNGJNcvIc

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi Guys,

I wanted to know if someone can explain to me what is the set up of the florida bar exam: how many days; what are the categories of the exam; and what is included in each section.

The reason why I am asking is because I passed the UBE and have a transferrable score, specifically the MBE, is transferrable so it leaves me only with the other sections. (I am thinking to possibly take the Florida bar exam somewhere in the future.)

Thank you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:26 pm

FutureLawyer2 wrote:Hi Guys,

I wanted to know if someone can explain to me what is the set up of the florida bar exam: how many days; what are the categories of the exam; and what is included in each section.

The reason why I am asking is because I passed the UBE and have a transferrable score, specifically the MBE, is transferrable so it leaves me only with the other sections. (I am thinking to possibly take the Florida bar exam somewhere in the future.)

Thank you!
Florida is 2 days, day 1 is Florida essays (3 multiple issue essays for 3 hours) and Florida multiple choice. Day 2 is MBE.

I would ramp up and do both because as it is now you have to pass Florida specific with transferred MBE. If you take both Florida and MBE, then you can take advantage of the overall which means you can fail Florida's section, but Florida will take the average of Florida and MBE and you can still pass.

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Mon May 13, 2019 10:36 am

FutureLawyer2 wrote:Hi Guys,

Thank you!
There are a ton of possible essay subjects, you can look up past ones on the Florida Board of Bar Examiners website. The multiple choice are Florida Civil/Crim Pro and 2 out of 3 of Evidence, Wills, or Business Entities.

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:21 am

Does anyone have any experience transferring MBE scores? Please let me know..Thanks in advance.

Thanks everyone for prior answers.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:11 pm

FutureLawyer2 wrote:Does anyone have any experience transferring MBE scores? Please let me know..Thanks in advance.

Thanks everyone for prior answers.

I wouldn't transfer the MBE score. Florida has a habit of blind siding with essay topics (termination of parental rights in one, and combined article 3/9) and MCs are weighted less than the essays. If you're a strong MBE taker, you can take both Florida and MBE, fail Florida, and have the MBE save your day. YOU FAIL FLORIDA BUT PASS THE BAR OVERALL :-)

If you transfer your MBE and you had a bad day and got hit with bad bad topics and fail Florida YOU FAILED THE BAR TOTALLY :-(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Allegedly88

New

Post by Allegedly88 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
Allegedly88 wrote:Not sure how many of you read about my two failures in july 2018 and february 2019. Well long story short my july failure was because my boyfriend who is a lawyer - broke up with me during bar prep. We all know a clear mind is needed for this exam and my mind was a cloud and i was a disaster. My own fault for not pulling it together but also a dick boyfriend for doing that. So we got back together last sept/october and he supported me through the feb bar and i passed the florida portion. Now that i have to retake the mbe for the third time he just told me he does not know if he wants to support me this third time because its stressful and he doesnt want to handle it- which means he doesnt care about me. So all that to say i had to break up with him because if he doesnt know then i cant wait around while i try to study.

I totally understand, because I too went through a similar situation. I ended my relationship of three years with my live-in girlfriend, and moved from Durham back to Miami. During bar prep, she would dangle the prospect of us reconciling and would contact me regularly with emotional text and phone conversations which left an impression on me. At some point during my prep she told me that she felt that we had grown apart, but in actuality, she had a new boyfriend and just preferred not to tell me about it. All of this is my long-winded way of saying that it is best for the sake of your preparation that you extricate yourself from the situation as best as possible. It's bad enough to deal with the heartache of not having passed in the first place to also throw in a little romantic heartache on top of it. That's just my two cents, for whatever that's worth.
Wow thats messed up sorry you had to go through that. I am trying to get past this as much as possible within the next two weeks. Its insane to me that someone would leave their significant other during bar prep bc its too stressful. Its so harsh, mean, and cold. :cry:

Allegedly88

New

Post by Allegedly88 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:43 pm

johngotti wrote:For everyone's sanity you're probably better off using the "30 seconds" mantra from Heat during bar prep. There's still time to hang out with friends, go out, etc but it's best to put relationships on hold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MImNGJNcvIc
Hahaha thanks i will try to remember that and keep that clip nearby at all times.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:51 am

Hey guys, just remember this: if the writing team behind the last two seasons of Game of Thrones can get that abomination aired on HBO, you can write a passing essay on the Florida portion of the exam.

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Mon May 20, 2019 11:46 am

I think the commercial bar prep classes start today or very soon so might have a few more people posting here soon. Just study all 542368 essay subjects and you'll be fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Allegedly88

New

Post by Allegedly88 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:53 pm

johngotti wrote:I think the commercial bar prep classes start today or very soon so might have a few more people posting here soon. Just study all 542368 essay subjects and you'll be fine.
Hahaha i second that!

kinseyjo

New

Post by kinseyjo » Wed May 22, 2019 9:54 am

Hit me with those topics predictions for FL.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:05 am

kinseyjo wrote:Hit me with those topics predictions for FL.
I'm thinking that after the Torts topic that the examiners threw into the exam came as an unexpected shock to most test takers, they'll probably try to test another foundational topic at the very end of the written portion. My best guess is either property or contracts. Con Law is almost a certainty too. Disclaimer: the torts question is most likely the reason that I failed that portion of the exam.

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Wed May 22, 2019 11:16 am

kinseyjo wrote:Hit me with those topics predictions for FL.
No one has a clue but FL Con Law has to hit sooner or later. Property is also a decent bet. Family Law/Dependency/Juvenile Delinquency has been popular recently and is always a good topic for them because they can easily manipulate the scores.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”