Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Pass302

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by Pass302 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Got my scores today Part A 159; Part B 155.

I must have killed the FL MC because that’s the only way I would have gotten a high score those essays were brutal.

Jibjib40

New

Post by Jibjib40 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Got my scores today Part A 140; Part B 155.

Woof to that part A. What a nightmare.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:13 pm

Got my scores as well 130 on mbe and a 145 on the fbe. Barely passed but I'll take it. Fuck Day 2

LuluCoco

New

Post by LuluCoco » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:27 pm

So is there some sort of correlation between your MBE scaled score and the manner in your Part A scoreis scaled? I know that sounds odd, but the explanation on the score sheet of how Part A is scaled gave me the impression that there is.

mehiguess

Bronze

Post by mehiguess » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:54 pm

I didn't go ghost, still waiting on mine. I changed my address between taking the exam and release of scores and didn't tell the bar. :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:00 pm

mehiguess wrote:I didn't go ghost, still waiting on mine. I changed my address between taking the exam and release of scores and didn't tell the bar. :oops:
You should be fine just let them know asap

ThisMan

New

Post by ThisMan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Finally got the letter: officially authorized to be sworn in! :D

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:06 pm

155 FBE because I didn't evaluate the statute on the second essay and BS'd my way through the dependency portion. 165 MBE...my old pal and an increase from last year.

Teamesq

New

Post by Teamesq » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:31 am

Just got my scores. I scored a 148 on the Florida portion. I still don't know how I passed Florida. I didn't know the 1st essay was about dependency because I didn't study dependency during bar prep. All I wrote about was due process. I felt good about essay 2. Essay three was a blur, as I only had 45 minutes to write. I'm sure my analysis sucked, but I just wrote everything I could remember about UCC 2 and 3. With respect to the Florida multiples, I did not study business entities AT ALL. I was advised that the Florida bar alternates between testing business entities and wills. In February, business entities was tested heavily, so I assumed, wrongfully so, that it wouldn't be tested again. When I saw that first business entities question, my heart dropped.

My advice to future bar takers is to give yourself enough time to study. I personally do not think 2 months is enough time (although I know people who have passed studying 2 months or less). I also wouldn't rely on statistics. Be ready for anything. Do not play Russian roulette. It's not worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:46 am

Young Marino wrote:Got my scores as well 130 on mbe and a 145 on the fbe. Barely passed but I'll take it. Fuck Day 2
Young Marino.... Do you mind disclosing how you were doing on any practice MBEs you took during prep, if you recall? I'm trying to get a (very) rough idea of the bump people are seeing from their final practice MBE and their actual scaled MBE score. I've got a lot of data on the high end (people going from 140 something- raw practice to 160 something- scaled actual.

If you don't remember or would rather not disclose, I totally understand. Congrats on the pass! That is what matters!

Teamesq

New

Post by Teamesq » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:04 pm

Dans1006, I just thought I'd chime in. I passed the MBE with a 146 scaled. My final score for the Kaplan MBE practice test was 98/200. Throughout bar prep, I could barely break a 50% on my multiple choice questions. By some miracle from God, my practice scores did not seem to correlate closely to the actual MBE score.

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:23 pm

Teamesq wrote:Dans1006, I just thought I'd chime in. I passed the MBE with a 146 scaled. My final score for the Kaplan MBE practice test was 98/200. Throughout bar prep, I could barely break a 50% on my multiple choice questions. By some miracle from God, my practice scores did not seem to correlate closely to the actual MBE score.
Great to hear it worked out for you! I still have a week and, unless I failed, in my jurisdiction they don't report the score. All I need is a 132 and I was averaging in the low 120s with Kaplan and an old Barbri MBE i bought off ebay. No guarantee, of course, but I feel like the bump will get me there, based on the numbers I've been seeing.

Thank you for sharing.

For anyone who's interested, the google doc we're compiling is located here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Feel free to post your info.

lapin

New

Post by lapin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:09 pm

If anyone wants Ameribar books, let me know. I don't know if anyone else here used Ameribar.

The books are Released MBE Questions & Explanations, MBE Outlines, Florida Outlines, and Florida Essay, MC, & Answers.

The Florida MC questions are Ameribar created questions and they are a lot easier than the real ones.

The Florida essays are the released ones that the Board posts on their site.

The most beneficial book of the bunch for me was the Released MBE question book. They are actual MBE questions that have appeared on prior bar exams.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:28 pm

dans1006 wrote:
Young Marino wrote:Got my scores as well 130 on mbe and a 145 on the fbe. Barely passed but I'll take it. Fuck Day 2
Young Marino.... Do you mind disclosing how you were doing on any practice MBEs you took during prep, if you recall? I'm trying to get a (very) rough idea of the bump people are seeing from their final practice MBE and their actual scaled MBE score. I've got a lot of data on the high end (people going from 140 something- raw practice to 160 something- scaled actual.

If you don't remember or would rather not disclose, I totally understand. Congrats on the pass! That is what matters!
I was hitting around 60% the last few weeks and felt good going into the exam but honestly I was so damn exhausted on mbe day I knew I failed it but luckily, it wasn't bad enough. I posted in the Barbri thread but I got a 109 on the simulated mbe so I did experience a 21 point bump.

Sabresnextyear

New

Post by Sabresnextyear » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:51 am

Congratulations to all who passed! I am licensed in another state and self-studied for the July 2017 Florida bar. Having been out of school for 10 years, I was terrified that I wouldn't remember how to study and that I wouldn't be able to cut it without taking a bar review course. I was worried that I was "up against" all the law students with these subjects fresh in their minds who were studying full-time for almost 3 months in accordance with a set schedule. I often felt that I was wandering through the dark with no idea if I was focusing upon the right things. Let me tell you: keep the faith, it can be done.

I studied for about 4 weeks, 6 hours a day. A little less on the weekends. For materials, I used the bar bri conviser mini review and mbe practice questions book. Those were my exclusive study materials. I didn't have any sort of schedule, but instead made my way, cover to cover, through the conviser book while working on MBE questions throughout.

My scores were 163 on the Florida potion and 164 on the MBE. I was sure that I failed the Florida portion with that first essay, but I simply wrote down what I could remember and moved on.

I really have no advice for future takers except try not to get swept up in the hype, as difficult as that may sound. Again, it can be done.

As an aside, I'm thankfully able to now sell my conviser book and MBE booklet. They are on ebay now (for a little longer) if anyone is interested: https://m.ebay.com/itm/barbri-conviser- ... Ciid%253A1.

Good luck to all future takers!

mehiguess

Bronze

Post by mehiguess » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Young Marino wrote:
mehiguess wrote:I didn't go ghost, still waiting on mine. I changed my address between taking the exam and release of scores and didn't tell the bar. :oops:
Scores received: Part A - 134, Part B - 141. Pass by the skin of my teeth! :D

lapin

New

Post by lapin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:58 pm

mehiguess wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
The beauty of this is that all overall passes are created equal. It doesn't matter how, as long as you did. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:34 am

lapin wrote:
mehiguess wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
The beauty of this is that all overall passes are created equal. It doesn't matter how, as long as you did. :)
Yup! Sworn in on Friday by my Judge.

ehleez

New

Post by ehleez » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:26 pm

Passed Florida, failed MBE, failed overall with a 135. "Frustrated" is not enough to describe how I feel...

Having both Florida and MBE hand-scored...anyone familiar with the process/know anyone who has done it/know of any success stories?

I don't expect much to come out of it, but for $50, and 1 point, it's worth a shot :(

lapin

New

Post by lapin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:05 pm

ehleez wrote:Passed Florida, failed MBE, failed overall with a 135. "Frustrated" is not enough to describe how I feel...

Having both Florida and MBE hand-scored...anyone familiar with the process/know anyone who has done it/know of any success stories?

I don't expect much to come out of it, but for $50, and 1 point, it's worth a shot :(
Wow, I really feel for you. That's awful.

RC76

New

Post by RC76 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:55 pm

That is definitely a tough break. I havent heard from anyone having their scores increased after review, but I still would do it. If you end up having to give it another shot, at least you wont have to worry about preparing for any Essays and Florida distinctions next time. Good luck to you.

I'm going to be sworn in at one of the ceremonies next Wednesday. Still looking for work.
ehleez wrote:Passed Florida, failed MBE, failed overall with a 135. "Frustrated" is not enough to describe how I feel...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lapin

New

Post by lapin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:47 pm

I should point out a resource that I thought was a great study aid. Dan Wilson's Bar Outlines. They are free. I especially liked the Property, Evidence, Crim Pro, and Crim Law ones. Torts was also good from what I saw of it, though I didn't use that one all that much. They were a great way of supplementing my study because they are much shorter and more concise than the commercial outlines.

Teamesq

New

Post by Teamesq » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:45 am

I know that when you swear in, you can begin practicing as soon as you mail the oath back, even though you have not been assigned a bar number yet. I read on the website that you can use the letter that the bar sends you acknowledging receipt of your oath as proof of membership. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the acknowledgment letter? I submitted my oath on Saturday, and still haven't received anything back. The bar is usually quick with sending an acknowledgement of receipt.

Anybody get a letter yet?

0heL

New

Post by 0heL » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:30 pm

I submitted my shit late (like around early June) to the FBBE, but still passed last week. Never been arrested or accused of anything fraudulent, so I can't imagine C&F being a problem. Does anyone know when I can expect to be authorized to swear in????

ThisMan

New

Post by ThisMan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:26 pm

Teamesq wrote:I know that when you swear in, you can begin practicing as soon as you mail the oath back, even though you have not been assigned a bar number yet. I read on the website that you can use the letter that the bar sends you acknowledging receipt of your oath as proof of membership. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the acknowledgment letter? I submitted my oath on Saturday, and still haven't received anything back. The bar is usually quick with sending an acknowledgement of receipt.

Anybody get a letter yet?
Apparently they're processing all of the oaths and will start sending letters out some time next week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”