Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
not guilty

Bronze

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by not guilty » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:28 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:I pray to god we don't get fucked over with a dependency or secured transactions essay.
Secured is due up, among many others. They've been predicting dependency every time. There is not a single subject that would be a wildcard anymore considering there was an entire Commercial Paper last administration.

I'll say an entire Juvenile essay or an essay from a multiple choice subject would be the only thing that should shock you.

Jwashere

New

Post by Jwashere » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:30 pm

According to our bar prep professor, the examiners break of in to groups of 5 or so and begin to read the essays WITHOUT any sort of grading rubric.
They confer amongst themselves to determine what issues were being analyzed. After several sets have been analyzed, the examiners regroup as a whole and determine if their results are consistent. They do this a few times to ensure everyone is on the same page and that's how the grading rubric is developed. Reasoning behind this is that the examiners who grade the essays arent the ones who drafted the essay hypos.

Also, examiners spend roughly 2 minutes reading an essay, depending on the length, writing style, and organization of the essay.

Sgttpc

New

Post by Sgttpc » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:06 pm

Good Luck to everyone this week. I took February and the MBE was really difficult. I got a 132. The quest from Barbri did not prepare you well. It was more that the answer choices were so close it was hard to narrow it down. They did a good job preparing you for Florida MC imo.

Best of luck!

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:10 pm

Sgttpc wrote:Good Luck to everyone this week. I took February and the MBE was really difficult. I got a 132. The quest from Barbri did not prepare you well. It was more that the answer choices were so close it was hard to narrow it down. They did a good job preparing you for Florida MC imo.

Best of luck!
How did u do on the Florida essay and Florida mc? Any insight into how easy or hard it's graded ?

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:28 am

What are y'all doing for lunch tomorrow & Wed?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pdwannabe

New

Post by pdwannabe » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:02 pm

do we need our laptops tomorrow?

kcam1991

Bronze

Post by kcam1991 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:13 pm

pdwannabe wrote:do we need our laptops tomorrow?
No. Multiple choice only

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:04 pm

July 2016 Doneeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I needed more time but overall those weren't bad.

What was the basis of your analysis for Florida vs Fed Gov't in regards to Fla declaring the educational act unconstitutional?
Last edited by not guilty on Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdwannabe

New

Post by pdwannabe » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:04 pm

so where is everyone getting obliterated tonight?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sgttpc

New

Post by Sgttpc » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:50 pm

I got 46 on MC in FEB. The one I took this week was way easier. I wont be surprised if I got 70 or better. The essays were straight forward if you can handle contracts, fed con law, and products liability. MC tested Crim/Civ Pro, Wills, and Evidence. MBE was not terribly difficult either.

RdenB8

New

Post by RdenB8 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:26 pm

[quote="not guilty"]Where do you see the Fla Bar admitting anything they do scoring wise? All we know is that Part A and Part B are weighed equally. We do not know if MC or Essays weigh more or not.

Go back in this thread about 4 pages and you will see all the math. Many feel essays get scaled down a bunch.[/quote]

I failed February so I received a break down of my score in all six areas as well as the perfect score, highest score and mean score.

Here are the details:
Scale: Part A was scaled a whopping three points chuck that Barbri "average ten point scaling up so aim for 126" out the window. Not true. At. All.
Essays: perfect score-100 points per essay. Highest scores by essay: Crim Law/Con Crim Pro and Jouvenile Delinquency-->(umm...where??)/Ethics 88. Fed Con Law 90, UCC Art 3&9/FRPC 95 (can we meet?? You're a freak of nature;)) Average/mean scores: Essay 1: 51.5, Essay 2: 40.6 (ouch-not as easy as everyone thought?), Essay 3: 34.2 (triple ouch)
Multiple choice. We all know the subjects. What everyone debates is "weighting" multiple choice. Bad news. It isn't weighted. Only 90 count. 90 points possible. 30 points/30 questions for each of the three tested areas. It's more like all three MC sections don't even weigh as much as one essay, rather 10 points less than one essay...combined. FR of Civ & Crim Pro: high-28, possible-30, mean-16.7. BA: high-30, possible-30, mean-15.9. Evidence: high-30, possible-30, mean 17.4.
Total possible points 390. (Raw points folks).

This whole "weighting" of mc is non existent. It's point for point. Add all three up for 90 mc total. Add up all three essays for 300 points total. Essays carry more points than mc at 100 each. But, contrary to what Barbri said, each mc section is not given the weight of one essay. All three added together weigh ten points less than one essay.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:43 pm

RdenB8 wrote:
I failed February so I received a break down of my score in all six areas as well as the perfect score, highest score and mean score.

Here are the details:
Scale: Part A was scaled a whopping three points chuck that Barbri "average ten point scaling up so aim for 126" out the window. Not true. At. All.
Essays: perfect score-100 points per essay. Highest scores by essay: Crim Law/Con Crim Pro and Jouvenile Delinquency-->(umm...where??)/Ethics 88. Fed Con Law 90, UCC Art 3&9/FRPC 95 (can we meet?? You're a freak of nature;)) Average/mean scores: Essay 1: 51.5, Essay 2: 40.6 (ouch-not as easy as everyone thought?), Essay 3: 34.2 (triple ouch)
Multiple choice. We all know the subjects. What everyone debates is "weighting" multiple choice. Bad news. It isn't weighted. Only 90 count. 90 points possible. 30 points/30 questions for each of the three tested areas. It's more like all three MC sections don't even weigh as much as one essay, rather 10 points less than one essay...combined. FR of Civ & Crim Pro: high-28, possible-30, mean-16.7. BA: high-30, possible-30, mean-15.9. Evidence: high-30, possible-30, mean 17.4.
Total possible points 390. (Raw points folks).

This whole "weighting" of mc is non existent. It's point for point. Add all three up for 90 mc total. Add up all three essays for 300 points total. Essays carry more points than mc at 100 each. But, contrary to what Barbri said, each mc section is not given the weight of one essay. All three added together weigh ten points less than one essay.

MBE is out of 190 and it makes sense to have Part A out of 190

Each essay is really out of 30. 90 total.

MC is a true 100 points.

Tell us your exact scores from February pls....

Sgttpc

New

Post by Sgttpc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:01 am

FEB SCORES:
MC 46 (crim civ: 16, bus ent. 18, evidence 12)
Essays: 53 (crim law/pro), 35 (Con Law), 28 (Comm paper)
Raw Score 162, Scaled 131

Hope that helps!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:53 am

Sgttpc wrote:FEB SCORES:

Hope that helps!
Wow that feels like an immensely harsh curve. 50% MC and decent essays is failing?

dazzliing

New

Post by dazzliing » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:36 am

Cicero76 wrote:

Hope that helps!
Wow that feels like an immensely harsh curve. 50% MC and decent essays is failing?

I would really love to know how this is scaled down but it seems we will never really know because I got a 204 raw on February FL part A and it was scaled all the way down to 137 which I felt was kind of messed up. 48 crim 63 fed con law 48 commercial paper. 11, 17 and 17 on Fl pro, business entities and evidence respectively and my MBE was 128 so combined I got a 132.5 and thus failed by 3.5 points. Hoping this July I get better news. I only took the MBE.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:45 am

dazzliing wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:

Hope that helps!

I would really love to know how this is scaled down but it seems we will never really know because I got a 204 raw on February FL part A and it was scaled all the way down to 137 which I felt was kind of messed up. 48 crim 63 fed con law 48 commercial paper. 11, 17 and 17 on Fl pro, business entities and evidence respectively and my MBE was 128 so combined I got a 132.5 and thus failed by 3.5 points. Hoping this July I get better news. I only took the MBE.
Is 50 a good essay score? Where is everyone going to learn about this topic?

So you got, basically, 50/50/50/54, and only passed the state section by one point?

dazzliing

New

Post by dazzliing » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:50 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
dazzliing wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:

Hope that helps!

So you got, basically, 50/50/50/54, and only passed the state section by one point?
Basically. Which is why I would love some insight as to how this exam is scaled. Because when I see other raw scores and how much less they got scaled down it frustrates me and almost seems unfair that mine got so scaled down. I try not to dwell on it and just hope for the best in July. Also to answer your question I thought 50 on each essay was a good goal to have but in my case it didn't seem enough.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:10 pm

dazzliing wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
dazzliing wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:

Hope that helps!

Basically. Which is why I would love some insight as to how this exam is scaled. Because when I see other raw scores and how much less they got scaled down it frustrates me and almost seems unfair that mine got so scaled down. I try not to dwell on it and just hope for the best in July. Also to answer your question I thought 50 on each essay was a good goal to have but in my case it didn't seem enough.
Holy shit. They scaled you down way more than the other poster

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:30 pm

On one hand people keep saying essays and MC are weighted equally, but on the other hand, we keep seeing anecdotes suggesting MC is significantly more important than essays...

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:59 pm

dazzliing wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
Essays: 53 (crim

Well, we can look at scoring like this..

204 raw is out of 400 raw

You only got 52% of the possible points and still passed.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Hope that helps!
Ok, look at these scores ^ He was scaled down less, but did much worse percentage wise in essays.

He got 162 out of 400 points. 40%.

If 51% correct will get you a 137, then what would you expect 40% to get you?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:18 pm

dazzliing wrote:
If the majority of your points are from essays, prepared to be scaled down a bunch. That seems to be the deal.

A person who got essay scores of 65, 65, 65.....But then an MC score of 5, would still fail.

However, the essay are a possible free-for-all point grab. You grab 200 raw points and you wouldn't need much left on the multiple choice depending on the year.

I think the math equation that we don't know is the scaling they do after the results are in.

dazzliing

New

Post by dazzliing » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:27 pm

not guilty wrote:
dazzliing wrote:
If the majority of your points are from essays, prepared to be scaled down a bunch. That seems to be the deal.

A person who got essay scores of 65, 65, 65.....But then an MC score of 5, would still fail.

However, the essay are a possible free-for-all point grab. You grab 200 raw points and you wouldn't need much left on the multiple choice depending on the year.

I think the math equation that we don't know is the scaling they do after the results are in.

I guess it's a spilt milk at this point hahaha seeing that I failed. Just hoping for some good news come September 19th so I can move on.

legal10101

Bronze

Post by legal10101 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:07 pm

Hope that helps!

Ok... I've been stalking... My score in Feb
58/48/23..12/16/15.... Raw 172 Scale 131.... How in the $&/: do we have the same scaled score????

Sgttpc

New

Post by Sgttpc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:20 am

Maybe they range the scaled score to achieve raw. Problem is they don't tell us so we will likely never know.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”