Latest date it's ok to start? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
wjnahill

Bronze

Latest date it's ok to start?

Post by wjnahill » Tue May 05, 2015 12:30 pm

Taking the July NY bar. Probably going to be out of town with little chance to study till June 3rd.

How bad will that be? Can I catch up?

BiglawAssociate

Bronze

Re: Latest date it's ok to start?

Post by BiglawAssociate » Tue May 05, 2015 9:31 pm

I signed up for a Barbri class, although I didn't end up watching any of the videos. Barbri's schedule is ridiculous IMO and unnecessary. Just make sure you get outlines from someone, read those, and do practice MBE problems (I did around 1000 MBE problems and ended up with a 165 MBE score) and read all of the essay answers from the Barbri book.

As for timing, it depends on how you pace yourself. Can you read outlines, do 1000 MBE problems and read the Barbri essay answers within a month?

Before June 3, I'd get some outlines and read those and start doing MBE practice problems before then. I only read outlines and did MBE practice problems until 2 weeks before the exam; starting two weeks before the exam, I stopped MBE prep and then just read essay exam questions and answers. I didn't write out any essays since I thought that took way too much time, and I can type so what the fuck is the point of writing it out. (I mean seriously - how the fuck does typing it out help me?)

I passed NY bar exam first time with an MBE score of 165 or something like that (which is 95th percentile or so), and that's 50% of the NY bar exam so if you do well on the MBE you have some cushion. I didn't study for the MPT or the NY specific multiple choice questions, but I would read a few sample MPT questions/answers. The MPT is going to be out of left field though, so prepare to just bullshit your way through the MPT. The NY specific multiple choice questions are just too hard - so I didn't bother studying for them.

wjnahill

Bronze

Post by wjnahill » Thu May 07, 2015 4:40 pm

Thank you - this is very helpful!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:53 pm

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu May 07, 2015 5:25 pm

The sooner the better--especially when facing substantial state specific sections.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrLawMan

New

Post by MrLawMan » Fri May 15, 2015 3:46 pm

Honest-to-god question - how smart are you? Because bar prep days as a quantity aren't the only factor. Virtually everyone completes a 2-month long course, and obviously not everyone passes. I had a friend study for 16 days for our state's exam and he passed because he's incredibly smart. Another friend studied 19 days for CA bar and passed. On the other hand there are people who study the full BarBri course each time and are still trying to pass their 3rd/4th attempt. Most people study around the time that you are planning and will pass.

If you're the average July test-taker I don't think a few days matter - you can make it up on the weekends as they're often light, especially the first half. But obviously the sooner the better. It's tough to estimate your own abilities on a knowledge test that is different from any test you've taken before, but it will help. I personally think you'll be fine.

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Sat May 16, 2015 4:35 am

I started June 16, the day after I graduated.

Passed July '14 NY Bar. Good-luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”