NY Admission - Third Department Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
davidtwlai

New

NY Admission - Third Department

Post by davidtwlai » Tue May 05, 2015 1:24 am

The Third Department received my application on April 30 and they sent me an acknowledgement email on the same day.

Assuming my application is complete, will they send me the interview date by postal letter or by email?

The reason I ask is that I live in Asia and it may take anywhere from 1 week to 2 weeks for a postal letter to arrive, and meanwhile, I want to finalize my travel arrangements to Albany asap.

Great thanks!

r6_philly

Diamond

Re: NY Admission - Third Department

Post by r6_philly » Tue May 05, 2015 1:44 pm

I am pretty sure it is by postal mail. It includes the interview date and the blue sheet to pay registration fee.

thrillho_van_houten

New

Post by thrillho_van_houten » Wed May 06, 2015 5:19 pm

Can anyone shed some light on the turnaround time between sending the application and getting the interview, and then the swearing in? I'm in the First Department.

stendhal

New

Post by stendhal » Tue May 12, 2015 1:06 pm

thrillho_van_houten wrote:Can anyone shed some light on the turnaround time between sending the application and getting the interview, and then the swearing in? I'm in the First Department.
I'm in the Third Department but am looking into possibly transferring to the First, so I just called them to ask when the next swearing in is. The person I talked with said it's on July 13th and that the interviews for those people will be done on July 7th. I'm kicking myself for not asking if I'd be able to get those dates if I were to get my materials in to them next week... anyone wanna call for that bit of info? I dialed (646) 386-5893 and chose the last option ("attorney admissions," I think it was option 6) instead of option 4 ("attorney registration" or something like that).

While I'm going through the trouble of a post--for the Third Department, does anyone know what the next swearing-in date is after the June 24th one, and if there's a specific application deadline attached to it?

(I don't know why they don't put this stuff on their websites...)

2bars

New

Post by 2bars » Thu May 14, 2015 9:19 am

While I'm going through the trouble of a post--for the Third Department, does anyone know what the next swearing-in date is after the June 24th one, and if there's a specific application deadline attached to it?

(I don't know why they don't put this stuff on their websites...)
They haven't provided specific dates online, but the events take place monthly outside of the two large swearing-ins in June and the winter. Below was in the letter they sent out to Feb takers:
"If you are unable to appear on June 24, 2015, or if your completed application papers are
not filed in the court's Attorney Admissions Office on or before May 15, 2015, you are hereby
advised that interviews and admissions are conducted on a specified day each month thereafter
and you may therefore be admitted at a later date. On later dates, however, there may be no
formal ceremony." http://www.nycourts.gov/ad3/admissions/ ... Letter.pdf

Thus, it would seem that there is no particular deadline. Rather, after you submit all of your materials they will tell you a date that you need to make yourself available.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

davidtwlai

New

Post by davidtwlai » Fri May 15, 2015 4:56 am

I sent in my application on April 30 but haven't got any reply from the Third Dept yet.

Has anyone got the date from the Third Dept yet? If yes, when did you submit your application?

legalmoney

New

Post by legalmoney » Wed May 20, 2015 12:14 pm

Any updates? I haven't heard back from them yet either.
davidtwlai wrote:I sent in my application on April 30 but haven't got any reply from the Third Dept yet.

Has anyone got the date from the Third Dept yet? If yes, when did you submit your application?

davidtwlai

New

Post by davidtwlai » Thu May 21, 2015 1:29 am

No, still nothing.

When did you submit your application?

[quote="legalmoney"]Any updates? I haven't heard back from them yet either.

thrillho_van_houten

New

Post by thrillho_van_houten » Mon May 25, 2015 11:11 pm

FWIW, I got a letter from the 1st Department last week with our dates

Interviews July 7
Orientation July 8
Admission Ceremony July 13

This is the first I've heard of orientation. Does anyone know what it entails?

legalmoney

New

Post by legalmoney » Tue May 26, 2015 12:35 pm

davidtwlai wrote:No, still nothing.

When did you submit your application?
legalmoney wrote:Any updates? I haven't heard back from them yet either.
May 4th.

I ended up calling last week. Just give them a call, they are very helpful and will give you the information right then and there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”