Bar Prep Recommendations Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
paraguayfargus

New

Bar Prep Recommendations

Post by paraguayfargus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Can anyone recommend a book about preparing mentally for the bar exam? I am not worried about learning the materials as much as I am worried about my mental toughness (trying to juggle studying with applying for jobs).

northwood

Platinum

Re: Bar Prep Recommendations

Post by northwood » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:30 pm

focus solely on the bar exam and resume applying for jobs after you take the bar exam

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:42 pm

I think too that becoming licensed at this point is way more important than getting a job that might be contingent on passing the bar exam.

numbertwo88

Bronze

Post by numbertwo88 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:35 pm

Don't apply for jobs.

TwoBars

New

Post by TwoBars » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:34 pm

I do not know of any books regarding mental preparation for the bar exam. However, the most important thing is to put in the effort to actually study and prepare for the exam. All of the review courses (usually in lectures) have a component addressing preparing yourself mentally and physically for the exam. Bar exams are truly a mental endurance test since you have to stay mentally focussed for 2 or 3 days depending on the state. I've take 2 bar exams and was mentally drained after both. The 3 day exam was much more draining than the 2 day exam. Regardless, if you put in a real effort to review and learn the material, you will pass the exam. It is better to be over prepared for the exam than not!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paraguayfargus

New

Post by paraguayfargus » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:15 pm

TwoBars wrote:I do not know of any books regarding mental preparation for the bar exam. However, the most important thing is to put in the effort to actually study and prepare for the exam. All of the review courses (usually in lectures) have a component addressing preparing yourself mentally and physically for the exam. Bar exams are truly a mental endurance test since you have to stay mentally focussed for 2 or 3 days depending on the state. I've take 2 bar exams and was mentally drained after both. The 3 day exam was much more draining than the 2 day exam. Regardless, if you put in a real effort to review and learn the material, you will pass the exam. It is better to be over prepared for the exam than not!
I agree. Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to try and conjure up my current job frustrations and study for the bar.

paraguayfargus

New

Post by paraguayfargus » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:25 am

TwoBars wrote:I do not know of any books regarding mental preparation for the bar exam. However, the most important thing is to put in the effort to actually study and prepare for the exam. All of the review courses (usually in lectures) have a component addressing preparing yourself mentally and physically for the exam. Bar exams are truly a mental endurance test since you have to stay mentally focussed for 2 or 3 days depending on the state. I've take 2 bar exams and was mentally drained after both. The 3 day exam was much more draining than the 2 day exam. Regardless, if you put in a real effort to review and learn the material, you will pass the exam. It is better to be over prepared for the exam than not!
FYI. If anyone is looking for a book on bar mental preparation, I found the following:

Bar Exam Mind
The Zen of Passing the Bar Exam
Hacking the Bar

I've ordered all of them (thanks for the amazon gift cards lexis). Maybe I'll write up a review of each after exams if I don't get lazy.

paraguayfargus

New

Post by paraguayfargus » Thu May 07, 2015 12:16 am

paraguayfargus wrote:
FYI. If anyone is looking for a book on bar mental preparation, I found the following:

Bar Exam Mind
The Zen of Passing the Bar Exam
Hacking the Bar

I've ordered all of them (thanks for the amazon gift cards lexis). Maybe I'll write up a review of each after exams if I don't get lazy.
As promised, I read the above books before starting Barbri (they are all pretty short) and these were my thoughts:

- Bar Exam Mind - Trash. Pretty much 30 pages of nothing here. The author talks about a bunch of affirmations and positive thinking. I didn't get anything out of it.
- The Zen of Passing the Bar Exam - I liked this one. It was short, but had actual application to MBE questions and essays. A good mix of positive thinking, strategy, and application.
- Hacking the Bar - Real weird, but good. The author talked about taking smart drugs, sleep schedules, and meditation. Heavy on supplement advice, but I dug it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”