New York Considering Switching to UBE Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Should New York Switch to the UBE?

Poll ended at Fri May 01, 2015 12:03 am

Yes (adopt UBE)
53%
No (reject UBE)
47%

Total votes: 15

NY Lawyer

New

New York Considering Switching to UBE

Post by NY Lawyer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:03 am

New York is considering replacing its current bar exam and in its place use the Uniform Bar Exam.

The current bar exam consists of 5 state-specific essays, a 50 state-specific MCQ, the MBE, and 1 MPT.

The Uniform Bar Exam consists 6 essays, the MBE, and 2 MPTs. Nothing on the UBE is specific to any jurisdiction.

For more information, see the page for the Advisory Committee on the Uniform Bar Examination:

http://nycourts.gov/ip/bar-exam/resources.shtml

What do you believe New York should do?

bearsfan23

Gold

Re: New York Considering Switching to UBE

Post by bearsfan23 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:09 am

NY Lawyer wrote:New York is considering replacing its current bar exam and in its place use the Uniform Bar Exam.

The current bar exam consists of 5 state-specific essays, a 50 state-specific MCQ, the MBE, and 1 MPT.

The Uniform Bar Exam consists 6 essays, the MBE, and 2 MPTs. Nothing on the UBE is specific to any jurisdiction.

For more information, see the page for the Advisory Committee on the Uniform Bar Examination:

http://nycourts.gov/ip/bar-exam/resources.shtml

What do you believe New York should do?
As a law student, I don't see how we wouldn't benefit from a switch to the UBE. Are there any reasons to be against it?

NY Lawyer

New

Post by NY Lawyer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:39 am

Here's an article opposing New York switching to the UBE:

https://www.nysba.org/WorkArea/Download ... x?id=54859

Here's an article supporting such a switch:

https://www.nysba.org/WorkArea/Download ... x?id=54860

bklynattorney

New

Post by bklynattorney » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:10 pm

I don't support the change. Under the proposal, you essentially have to pass two exams: the UBE and the New York Law Exam (NYLE). Sounds more stressful and doesn't bode well for people who are not great at multiple choice questions.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:19 pm

bklynattorney wrote:I don't support the change. Under the proposal, you essentially have to pass two exams: the UBE and the New York Law Exam (NYLE). Sounds more stressful and doesn't bode well for people who are not great at multiple choice questions.
This format is a pretty dumb concession to the GOTTA BE PRACTICE READY FOR NY crowd, true. Amazingly, they're still arguing that's a reason against this proposal and I bet that bar class shill will be back to pump that angle again. But functionally you're trading the NY state essays for the UBE essays (who cares), and making that an independent requirement. It says its a 60% requirement, which doesn't seem that hard to me, but I have no idea what that section is like.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

underthirty

Bronze

Post by underthirty » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:25 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

BEPCInc

New

Post by BEPCInc » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:51 pm

"It is the mobile nature of our society and the ongoing dramatic transformation of legal education and our profession that compels the conclusion
that the time has come in this country for a common licensing test." -Diane Bosse

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:28 pm

The current NY state-specific multiple choice test is pretty brutal. It is by far the hardest part of the current exam. Hopefully, they'd ease that up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”