Do you need supplements (Adaptibar, Critical Pass, Emanuel)? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
EvelynS

Bronze

Do you need supplements (Adaptibar, Critical Pass, Emanuel)?

Post by EvelynS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:32 pm

Hey guys!

Would you recommend buying supplements in addition to a Barbri course in order to pass the MBE portion? I was looking at Adaptibar, Critical Pass MBE Flashcards, and Emanuel's Strategies and Tactics. Any thoughts?

bluewin888

New

Re: Do you need supplements (Adaptibar, Critical Pass, Emanuel)?

Post by bluewin888 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:15 pm

why Critical Pass MBE Flashcards?

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:22 pm

bluewin888 wrote:why Critical Pass MBE Flashcards?
It seems like some people on TLS were highly recommending them in addition to barbri or any other commercial barbri course.

numbertwo88

Bronze

Post by numbertwo88 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:15 pm

I found the strategies & tactics book helpful in studying - the tips were especially helpful for me.

The sample MBE questions in the book were good as well, however, I used Themis and so many of the questions overlapped. I don't know anything about Barbri's MBE questions and whether or not they'll overlap as much as they did with Themis.

I also invested in critical pass cards because I skipped lectures entirely but being that it was my 2nd time taking the bar exam, I didn't think the lectures were important (more just a huge time suck). I made my MBE outlines based on the critical pass cards and filled in with additional information from the long outlines provided by Themis.

So basically - you might not *need* the supplements. Maybe give it a week or 2 without them and them adjust accordingly. That's assuming you're studying for at least 10 weeks - and tweaking 8 weeks in advance. You really just have to find what works for you.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:30 pm

numbertwo88 wrote:I found the strategies & tactics book helpful in studying - the tips were especially helpful for me.

The sample MBE questions in the book were good as well, however, I used Themis and so many of the questions overlapped. I don't know anything about Barbri's MBE questions and whether or not they'll overlap as much as they did with Themis.

I also invested in critical pass cards because I skipped lectures entirely but being that it was my 2nd time taking the bar exam, I didn't think the lectures were important (more just a huge time suck). I made my MBE outlines based on the critical pass cards and filled in with additional information from the long outlines provided by Themis.

So basically - you might not *need* the supplements. Maybe give it a week or 2 without them and them adjust accordingly. That's assuming you're studying for at least 10 weeks - and tweaking 8 weeks in advance. You really just have to find what works for you.
Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:55 am

Critical pass flashcards were basically mini outlines of the BarBri lectures and me helped quite a bit, especially the damn FOB and 3rd P rights which seem to keep coming up in practice MBEs. I used Adaptibar the entire time, and found it very helpful especially for the real thing since I worked during bar prep and had it with me at all times. Don't bother with their Civ pro MBEs, they were bad and nothing like the real thing. I started early on MBEs and I'm glad I did because my first 2 months were pathetic, I definitely saw improvement in the end.

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:44 pm

I got my best grades in law school by making flashcards from outlines. For me - a visual learner - Critical Pass was an excellent tool to learn the MBE information (http://criticalpass.refr.cc/8GVXRT9 - referral link with a discount code for 20% off). If you're an auditory or kinesthetic learner, then sticking with the lecture videos alone or at the gym might be worthwhile, but once again, knowing your learning style is important in determining which supplement to get.

I've also heard great reviews of Adaptibar and Emanuel's - the only downside with Adaptibar is the cost; but Emanuel's Strategies & Tactics is available for a nominal price on Amazon and definitely worth getting. I had Emanuel's during my bar study period, but I didn't utilize it like I should have (I still passed my state bar exam). Online Practice Exams (OPE) are also also available for purchase on the MBE website (at http://www.ncbex.org/practice-exams/).
Last edited by Neve on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Bar Max is a great alternative to Adaptibar at $250.

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:08 pm

20ARKANSAS and MICHIGAN20 are two discount codes for Critical Pass cards. Both codes are for $20 off, but you cannot "stack" them. The codes expire in about a week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:54 pm

You cannot go wrong with Adaptibar. Searching TLS you will find that Adaptibar has nothing but raging reviews from anyone that uses it. When I took the bar, I found the fact patterns on the actual bar to be similar to Adaptibar. Their mobile interface made it easy to answer many MBE questions without it feeling too taxing, helping with my MBE endurance on the actual exam. It's also nice how they change the questions you face according to your weaknesses. PM anyone who's taken Adaptibar for $50 off, feel free to PM me if you want the $50 discount.

pinaylawyer

New

Post by pinaylawyer » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:40 pm

I just have one comment with critical pass: while it is good in drilling you with black letter law for MBE, I just find it hard to organize my framework topics in my essay practices using this alone.. it keeps me going back to the outlines

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:54 pm

pinaylawyer wrote:I just have one comment with critical pass: while it is good in drilling you with black letter law for MBE, I just find it hard to organize my framework topics in my essay practices using this alone.. it keeps me going back to the outlines
When using Critical Pass, I found it helpful to go through 2-3 subjects per day. After I went through 2-3 stacks, I would do a practice set of MBE questions on the same subject or mixed subject. Then I would review all my answers and the explanations. I think it's most effective to do a practice set immediately after reviewing the flash cards. If you need greater explanation then you can reference the CMR further (in addition to Barbri's assignment, not in lieu of).

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:42 pm

As many people may have said (I haven't read through the thread), "to each their own." If you think supplements will help you study, use them. If you study effectively in a different way, don't use them. Bar courses and supplements are normally built for the average student. However, all students are different. If you study like most students do, they'll probably be helpful. If you don't and can be more effective another way, they probably won't be worth the time. It's all about efficiency in the end.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:28 pm

whitecollar23 wrote:As many people may have said (I haven't read through the thread), "to each their own." If you think supplements will help you study, use them. If you study effectively in a different way, don't use them. Bar courses and supplements are normally built for the average student. However, all students are different. If you study like most students do, they'll probably be helpful. If you don't and can be more effective another way, they probably won't be worth the time. It's all about efficiency in the end.
I think a good rule of thumb is to stick with the study method that worked best for you in law school. If you studied best with flash cards, then use Critical Pass with the CMR. If you studied best with outlines, use the CMR and Lean Sheets. Stick with the study method that works for you in addition to the bar prep assignments.

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:57 pm

A few of my classmates used Lean Sheets towards the end of the bar study period. I am not sure if it's a good resource.

nf2016

New

Post by nf2016 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:38 pm

If anyone needs a $50 discount code for Adaptibar, PM me

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:28 pm

Neve wrote:A few of my classmates used Lean Sheets towards the end of the bar study period. I am not sure if it's a good resource.
I never personally used them, but my friends who did all passed (of course, they took a bar prep class,too). You can see samples on their website.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 pm

Law&coffee wrote:
Neve wrote:A few of my classmates used Lean Sheets towards the end of the bar study period. I am not sure if it's a good resource.
I never personally used them, but my friends who did all passed (of course, they took a bar prep class,too). You can see samples on their website.
Thanks for the information, LC.

JoeySkoko

New

Post by JoeySkoko » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:48 pm

is there any utility getting BOTH adaptibar and emmanuel?

I already have emmanuel,and just weighing up cost / benefit? Is there big overlap in the questions?

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:57 pm

JoeySkoko wrote:is there any utility getting BOTH adaptibar and emmanuel?

I already have emmanuel,and just weighing up cost / benefit? Is there big overlap in the questions?
I'm using both. I think there's some overlap as both use real questions, but Adaptibar has 1,700 questions (and great data regarding how you're doing on each subtopic, how you compare to those in your state, and your performance timing-wise). Emmanuel's has outlines and arguably better answer explanation, but it has less questions overall. Adaptibar has a free trial that you can do if you're curious but not totally sold. I also have a $50 Adaptibar discount, which I can send you if you PM your email address. Each has their benefit, and I'm finding both useful.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:31 pm

squiggle wrote:
JoeySkoko wrote:is there any utility getting BOTH adaptibar and emmanuel?

I'm using both. I think there's some overlap as both use real questions, but Adaptibar has 1,700 questions (and great data regarding how you're doing on each subtopic, how you compare to those in your state, and your performance timing-wise). Emmanuel's has outlines and arguably better answer explanation, but it has less questions overall. Adaptibar has a free trial that you can do if you're curious but not totally sold. I also have a $50 Adaptibar discount, which I can send you if you PM your email address. Each has their benefit, and I'm finding both useful.
Great response. If you can afford both and have the time to utilize each tool, I recommend doing so. If cost is a factor, but time is not, then BarMax plus Emmanuel's is a good supplemental alternative.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:56 pm

Law&coffee wrote:Bar Max is a great alternative to Adaptibar at $250.
Has anyone used both BarMax and Adaptibar? And if so, can you offer insight comparing the two?

passx3

New

Post by passx3 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:51 am

Donno if I passed yet, but Adaptibar was the bomb. Good explanations, easy and almost fun to use. I felt prepared for the MBE.

Took Kaplan as my primary source but I mostly used Adaptibar for practice questions... I think I did like 1,200 total Kaplan questions including practice exams and I did 1,505 AdaptiBar.

Note that I did feel the Adaptibar civ pro questions were terrible, so I only did like 20 and gave up on their Civ Pro. They were way too "hard" in my opinion, and they're not actual MBE questions. The percentage of users who tended to get their civ pro questions right was usually like 15%, as opposed to 60% or so for real MBE questions. In hindsight I should've just continued with them and probably would have learned a lot.

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:26 pm

Thanks. Adaptive seems much more widely used over BarMax. It's hard to determine which one is superior.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:53 pm

passx3 wrote:Donno if I passed yet, but Adaptibar was the bomb. Good explanations, easy and almost fun to use. I felt prepared for the MBE.

Took Kaplan as my primary source but I mostly used Adaptibar for practice questions... I think I did like 1,200 total Kaplan questions including practice exams and I did 1,505 AdaptiBar.

Note that I did feel the Adaptibar civ pro questions were terrible, so I only did like 20 and gave up on their Civ Pro. They were way too "hard" in my opinion, and they're not actual MBE questions. The percentage of users who tended to get their civ pro questions right was usually like 15%, as opposed to 60% or so for real MBE questions. In hindsight I should've just continued with them and probably would have learned a lot.
I had a mentor who used Kaplan for bar prep and he told me there were lots of errors (not only typos, but errors in the black letter law itself) in Kaplan's materials. I have always been reluctant to use Kaplan as a result.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”