Critical Pass vs. Law in a Flash - Best pre-made flashcards Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
arizzle

New

Critical Pass vs. Law in a Flash - Best pre-made flashcards

Post by arizzle » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:37 pm

Anyone care to weigh in on Critical Pass vs. Law in a Flash? It appears these seem to be the best, most budget-friendly flashcards available.

Is one better that the other? Is there another flash card system I should consider?

Thanks!

Neve

Bronze

Re: Critical Pass vs. Law in a Flash - Best pre-made flashcards

Post by Neve » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:53 pm

arizzle wrote:Anyone care to weigh in on Critical Pass vs. Law in a Flash? It appears these seem to be the best, most budget-friendly flashcards available.

Is one better that the other? Is there another flash card system I should consider?

Thanks!
I don't have any experience with Law in a Flash, but I did use Critical Pass for the MBE and I liked it since I'm the kind of person that learns best from flashcards (referral link - http://criticalpass.refr.cc/3W6LZL6). Critical Pass is designed specifically for the MBE. Critical Pass is basically a flashcard version of the lecture/CMR Barbri outline - straight black letter law. It contains tips, but no hypos. It also tracks the Barbri course material extremely well so I didn't have to make my own flashcards for the MBE subjects. It has space on the cards to add your own personalized notes for the MBE or state specific law.
Last edited by Neve on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:56 pm

Law in a flash evidence is 180
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TXlawyer17

New

Post by TXlawyer17 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:23 am

Critical Pass. Solid black letter law. Great time saver so you don't have to make your own flashcards. Must have for MBE prep.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:30 am

I doubt many people have purchased both products. I can only vouch for critical pass. They are good cards. I actually use them more for outlining than as flashcards. Though I think I'll start using them as flashcards in the weeks to come.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:56 am

Neve wrote: I don't have any experience with Law in a Flash, but I did use Critical Pass for the MBE and I liked it since I'm the kind of person that learns best from flashcards (referral link - http://criticalpass.refr.cc/3W6LZL6). Critical Pass is designed specifically for the MBE. Critical Pass is basically a flashcard version of the lecture/CMR Barbri outline - straight black letter law. It contains tips, but no hypos. It also tracks the Barbri course material extremely well so I didn't have to make my own flashcards for the MBE subjects. It has space on the cards to add your own personalized notes for the MBE or state specific law.

Critical Pass sent me a 10% off code to share: FRIENDS10

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:28 am

I have Critical Pass now and had Law in a Flash for Property and Evidence during school. CP is not really a flashcard, per se. It's a fairly thorough outline broken up into quarter pages of text. But it's not like a card that says "fee simple" on one side and you say the definition out loud and flip it over to see if you got it right, or a question on one side/answer on the other. LinAF are more like that.

Frankly, with the number of different outlines you already get with Barbri, I'm wondering whether CP was worth the money.

TXlawyer17

New

Post by TXlawyer17 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I have Critical Pass now and had Law in a Flash for Property and Evidence during school. CP is not really a flashcard, per se. It's a fairly thorough outline broken up into quarter pages of text. But it's not like a card that says "fee simple" on one side and you say the definition out loud and flip it over to see if you got it right, or a question on one side/answer on the other. LinAF are more like that.

Frankly, with the number of different outlines you already get with Barbri, I'm wondering whether CP was worth the money.
Critical Pass does a pretty good job at maintaining its resale value. I sold mine for 80% of its purchase price on Amazon. And they most definitely are flashcards even though they lack the BS/cutesy anecdotes that Emanuel's law flashcards are notorious for. Some people may like that, but I like my black letter law straight up with none of that cutesy stuff.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:57 am

TXlawyer17 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I have Critical Pass now and had Law in a Flash for Property and Evidence during school. CP is not really a flashcard, per se. It's a fairly thorough outline broken up into quarter pages of text. But it's not like a card that says "fee simple" on one side and you say the definition out loud and flip it over to see if you got it right, or a question on one side/answer on the other. LinAF are more like that.

Critical Pass does a pretty good job at maintaining its resale value. I sold mine for 80% of its purchase price on Amazon. And they most definitely are flashcards even though they lack the BS/cutesy anecdotes that Emanuel's law flashcards are notorious for. Some people may like that, but I like my black letter law straight up with none of that cutesy stuff.
But what about it makes it a flashcard and not just outlines printed on smaller sheets? Flashcards are for drilling yourself, or practicing something.
Critical Pass is like putting the entire 3s multiplication table on a card, with answers. A set of proper flashcards would have 3x3 on one side and 9 on the other, 3x4/12, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TXlawyer17

New

Post by TXlawyer17 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Flashcards are for drilling yourself, or practicing something.
And that's what you do with Critical Pass flashcards - you drill yourself and practice something!

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:53 pm

They're just the Conviser MBE outlines from BarBri in flashcard form. The wording is pretty much identical. I didn't find them particularly useful and gave mine to someone. And quite honestly, after that MBE, they didn't make much of a difference. :o

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:45 pm

I thought Critical Pass was pretty decent. It's not enough to just rely on Critical Pass -- but it's a useful supplement in addition to a course + other materials.

I went through all of the cards three or four times, then went through cards on problem areas/big ticket items several additional times. It helped give me a little bit of an edge on the MBE, I thought. My scores went up a bit when I started using them.

Arbinshire

New

Post by Arbinshire » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:17 am

Critical Pass is a prettied up, nearly identical, and a marginally condensed version of the CMR outline. If Copyright law applied to the organization of facts, CP might be in trouble with BarBri.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:04 pm

This thread sums up the bar exam. I purchased CP because I got killed on the MBE and people talked so highly of it. Now here we are saying it's pointless and just an outline. Can't win.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:21 pm

Both myself and a friend passed the MBE (153 and 160) using entirely the critical pass flashcards and a few hundred sample MBE questions.

Slimz89

New

Post by Slimz89 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Hey,

You can use my referral Code to get $10 off the New 2017 Edition of the Critical Pass MBE Flashcards. Link: http://criticalpass.refr.cc/10offandfreeshipping

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:37 pm

I highly recommend Critical Pass (referral code with $15 discount - http://criticalpass.refr.cc/WXNZSR4). It was incredibly helpful and a huge time saver not to make six sets of flashcards for the bar exam. Time management is important - 10 weeks of prep for 20+ subjects - so take advantage of bar supplements.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”