Multiple Bars? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
venusbbmm

New

Multiple Bars?

Post by venusbbmm » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:26 pm

So I just passed the bar in IL and now I am thinking whether I should take another bar exam in CA or NY. I do want to move out IL at some point (mainly because of the weather), but just don't know it for sure. I am thinking about taking another bar in the coming Feb b/c I think I still have some memories from the last bar prep. But at the same time, the whole bar prep thing is just miserable.

Is there anyone out there who is licensed in multiple jurisdictions? Other than the fees, what are the cons of doing it? Will the CLE credits be accountable for multiple jurisdictions?

Thank you!!

lalala21

Bronze

Re: Multiple Bars?

Post by lalala21 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:41 pm

I am also wondering about this, but more from test prep perspective. Has anyone else passed a bar and taken another 6 months later? Do people usually approach the second exam the same way? does it take the same amount of prep? I am a little nervous because this time I will be working full time.

OklahomasOK

Bronze

Post by OklahomasOK » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:42 pm

lalala21 wrote:I am also wondering about this, but more from test prep perspective. Has anyone else passed a bar and taken another 6 months later? Do people usually approach the second exam the same way? does it take the same amount of prep? I am a little nervous because this time I will be working full time.
Took the Texas bar in July 14, taking Oklahoma in Feb. My amount of prep is going to be pretty dependent on my score but will be inevitably less than this past summer. I'm working (and hopefully will pass Texas still will be working) when I start studying for OK. Using old Barbri materials from Oklahoma to study. Going to make some core subject outlines, have a hearty LOL and blow off civ pro, and brief outlines for state essay topics and practice writing essays.

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:50 pm

For OP - why are you getting barred in NY or CA? A cursory review of reciprocity rules in NY say that you can waive in after meeting certain requirements in IL (typically 5 years practice). CA is a wild card on reciprocity - they are not with NY or IL as far as I can tell.

If you are going to remain in IL for a significant period of time, I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Expenses are significant and firms can be stingy (it depends). As far as CLEs, frequently many can be applied to both, particularly ABA credits. If you attend your state or local bar events, this is less likely or can be a hassle. I'm barred in PA and NJ and because of the states proximity, it's easy for me to get CLEs from both. IL and NY (or CA) may be more difficult. You would need to consult the rules for specifics.

Also, taking the bar sucks and I wouldn't just do it on a whim. Ultimately, I think you'll find that re-prepping isn't that hard. YMMV

pereatmundus

New

Post by pereatmundus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:56 pm

California does not have reciprocity with any state or jurisdiction. The best you can do there is getting out of the MBE if you're admitted elsewhere, but you still have to take the two state days. If you have any interest in moving to California, I would take the California bar now. If you want to move to New York, you can just wait five years and go in from Illinois (but of course if weather is why you want to leave Illinois, why would you move to a state that's only slightly less awful?).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

venusbbmm

New

Post by venusbbmm » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:32 pm

JuTMSY4 wrote:For OP - why are you getting barred in NY or CA? A cursory review of reciprocity rules in NY say that you can waive in after meeting certain requirements in IL (typically 5 years practice). CA is a wild card on reciprocity - they are not with NY or IL as far as I can tell.

If you are going to remain in IL for a significant period of time, I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Expenses are significant and firms can be stingy (it depends). As far as CLEs, frequently many can be applied to both, particularly ABA credits. If you attend your state or local bar events, this is less likely or can be a hassle. I'm barred in PA and NJ and because of the states proximity, it's easy for me to get CLEs from both. IL and NY (or CA) may be more difficult. You would need to consult the rules for specifics.

Also, taking the bar sucks and I wouldn't just do it on a whim. Ultimately, I think you'll find that re-prepping isn't that hard. YMMV
I am thinking about NY or CA b/c NYC and SF are the two other cities I would like to move to. I also saw the 5 years requirements. So I am leaning towards CA too b/c for CA, 5 years will only get me out of MBE.

I completely agree with you, taking the bar sucks.

venusbbmm

New

Post by venusbbmm » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:35 pm

pereatmundus wrote:California does not have reciprocity with any state or jurisdiction. The best you can do there is getting out of the MBE if you're admitted elsewhere, but you still have to take the two state days. If you have any interest in moving to California, I would take the California bar now. If you want to move to New York, you can just wait five years and go in from Illinois (but of course if weather is why you want to leave Illinois, why would you move to a state that's only slightly less awful?).
HAHA true. But last winter in Chicago sets the bar so high and I feel unless I move to MN, anywhere else in this country is considered as warm. :shock:

Also, I was just checking IL rules. CA does not accept MBE transfer from IL, but IL accepts MBE transfer from CA. Unfair....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”