Barbri not negotiating prices? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
90LawSchool

New

Barbri not negotiating prices?

Post by 90LawSchool » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:07 pm

A little bit of background: I have a judicial clerkship starting after I graduate and am not allowed to accept an offer at a firm until the last month before my clerkship ends. So I am going to have to pay for my bar prep course on my own.

My plan all along had been to take Barbri but I'm a bit daunted at the cost now! I tried to negotiate the price (as I have read and heard of others doing so) but our Barbri rep replied that Barbri is no longer negotiating tuition.

So Question 1: Is this true across the board? Are you hearing similar things from your Barbri rep?

Question 2: she mentioned the loans for Barbri prep. Besides the loans, are there other options?

Thank you in advance!

Neve

Bronze

Re: Barbri not negotiating prices?

Post by Neve » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:17 pm

Barbri does negotiate, but they don't call it "negotiation". They call it tuition assistance and you have to apply for it. It's a simple 1-2 form.

Tuition assistance comes in various amounts - they ended up giving me a thousand dollars off my "locked-in" price when I did it. I have a friend who got more off than that because he held out longer than me after the payment deadline.

richis7

New

Post by richis7 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:08 pm

Neve wrote:Barbri does negotiate, but they don't call it "negotiation". They call it tuition assistance and you have to apply for it. It's a simple 1-2 form.

Tuition assistance comes in various amounts - they ended up giving me a thousand dollars off my "locked-in" price when I did it. I have a friend who got more off than that because he held out longer than me after the payment deadline.
This, plus a little.

Barbri absolutely negotiates. I used the tuition assistance and got $800 off. My friend did the same.

I had another friend enrolled in Kaplan and barbri kept calling him up until the course started offering to price match Kaplan.

I wrote on my "tuition assistance" form a sob story about student loans (as if I'm the only one that has them) and the fact that I trust the barbri method having used their stuff during law school. Apparently they ate it right up, and I found out the same day about the discount. That $800 + the book deposit off and the fact I was close to a barbri live lecture made barbri make sense for me.

I also just found out I passed the NC bar, so I think barbri was effective and worth the money. (PM me if you want details of how much I followed the paced program, etc.)

Good luck. I'm sure you can get them to reduce your tuition.

90LawSchool

New

Post by 90LawSchool » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:43 pm

First off, thank you so much to those who responded. Based on what you told me, I contacted the Barbri rep again and I got this response:

Apparently Barbri is "phasing out" tuition assistance. Now Barbri is offering "payment matching" up to $800--if you pay $800, Barbri will give you a $800 discount.

I guess that is better than nothing but I am interested to hear if this is just my rep or if everyone at Barbri is doing this.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:16 pm

Just get Themis.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:25 pm

baroutlines $50 bucks same shit

richis7

New

Post by richis7 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Don't talk to your rep. Call Barbri direct and see if you get the same answer.

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:53 am

I procrastinated and didn't sign up for a bar prep company until like 3 weeks before graduation. By that point BarBri was desperate and I got it for half price (couldn't believe it). My advice is to wait because I know they all get desperate and will start slashing prices.

90LawSchool

New

Post by 90LawSchool » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:37 pm

Thank you to all who responded! I met in person with my Barbri rep yesterday and she offered to up the discount to $1500 (basically giving me a public interest scholarship). That brings the price down dramatically but I'm going to see if I can hold out and get anything else.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:20 pm

tag

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”