Horror Story...Yet Still Passed? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
publicdefendergirl

New

Re: Horror Story...Yet Still Passed?

Post by publicdefendergirl » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:14 am

July 2014 exam

- was so nervous I did not sleep a single minute
- Spent the morning nauseous and frantically flipping through flash cards in the lobby
- Felt not so hot about the MBE portion
- LITERALLY wrote 2 or three sentences for an essay, another was also fairly short
- Stopped the MPT mid-sentence at a super weird place because I ran out of time
- Promptly burst into tears upon exiting the building

Passed with flying colors the first try.

Try not to stress too much over it- if you tried your best, have no regrets.

Bar Slayer

New

Post by Bar Slayer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:31 pm

It's very, very hard to tell based on your own performance, whether you will pass. Depending on your background (school, ranking, amount of studying) you can probably figure out your chances, roughly.

The first time I took NY I thought it went terrible. Many of the MBE question answers looked right, and I had no idea what I was doing with state essays. It turns out I was right-I failed. The second time I took NY I thought it went even worse. An even larger number of MBE question answers looked right and I felt like I guessed throughout. Also felt like I had no idea what I was doing with state essays. I was wrong-I passed.

My subjective feelings were worse the second time but the one difference was that I prepared far more the second time around. My second MBE score was also 20 points higher. I think I felt worse because I was more aware of the tricky answers, as opposed to the first time when I blindly and ignorantly selected wrong answers, thinking they were correct. So if you did the work, and your background suggests you probably passed, then in all likelihood you passed.

ellewoods123

Bronze

Post by ellewoods123 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:03 pm

bumping this thread. really in need of some inspiration - the more days that pass the more failure becomes real...

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:34 pm

Bar Slayer wrote:It's very, very hard to tell based on your own performance, whether you will pass. Depending on your background (school, ranking, amount of studying) you can probably figure out your chances, roughly.

The first time I took NY I thought it went terrible. Many of the MBE question answers looked right, and I had no idea what I was doing with state essays. It turns out I was right-I failed. The second time I took NY I thought it went even worse. An even larger number of MBE question answers looked right and I felt like I guessed throughout. Also felt like I had no idea what I was doing with state essays. I was wrong-I passed.

My subjective feelings were worse the second time but the one difference was that I prepared far more the second time around. My second MBE score was also 20 points higher. I think I felt worse because I was more aware of the tricky answers, as opposed to the first time when I blindly and ignorantly selected wrong answers, thinking they were correct. So if you did the work, and your background suggests you probably passed, then in all likelihood you passed.
I'm glad you finally passed, BUT....

PSA: if you failed the bar exam, do not post in this thread. We don't want to hear from you. Thanks.

theInnerCircle

New

Post by theInnerCircle » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:56 pm

Just wanna say, I feel like these "horror stories" are often essay focused. Meaning people messed up on the essays but did decent/were always decent at MBEs so they were likely to pass anyway (MBEs are usually weighted more than the essays).

Anyone weak at MBEs but still passed wanna share their story?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:36 pm

theInnerCircle wrote:Just wanna say, I feel like these "horror stories" are often essay focused. Meaning people messed up on the essays but did decent/were always decent at MBEs so they were likely to pass anyway (MBEs are usually weighted more than the essays).

Last summer someone collected the MBE scores of people, as well a their practice scores and how they felt during the real MBE. Here's the doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:58 pm

theInnerCircle wrote:Just wanna say, I feel like these "horror stories" are often essay focused. Meaning people messed up on the essays but did decent/were always decent at MBEs so they were likely to pass anyway (MBEs are usually weighted more than the essays).

In both the AM and PM sessions I was running out of time and just bubbled in "B" for the last 10-15 in each session without even reading the question. I passed.

Lucky you to be in a jurisdiction that gives the MBE greater weight than the essays. California is not so kind.

theInnerCircle

New

Post by theInnerCircle » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:31 am

rcharter1978 wrote:

In both the AM and PM sessions I was running out of time and just bubbled in "B" for the last 10-15 in each session without even reading the question. I passed.

Lucky you to be in a jurisdiction that gives the MBE greater weight than the essays. California is not so kind.
Right, CA is essay focused. But I'm way more stressed about MBE since i was not getting good practice scores at all (plus my jx's MBE pref) and just felt like I was floundering all the time.

Thanks squiggle, will check out that spreadsheet.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:31 pm

theInnerCircle wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

Right, CA is essay focused. But I'm way more stressed about MBE since i was not getting good practice scores at all (plus my jx's MBE pref) and just felt like I was floundering all the time.

A lot of people who do fine on the MBE feel like they are floundering. But even if you don't read the question you have a 25% shot at a right answer. Normally you can narrow it down to 2 and so you have a 50% chance to get it right. And you have 200 questions. The MBEs are so detail oriented that I would worry foe someone who felt awesome about the MBEs because they probably missed the details/nuances and were lulled into a trick answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ellewoods123

Bronze

Post by ellewoods123 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:33 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
theInnerCircle wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

A lot of people who do fine on the MBE feel like they are floundering. But even if you don't read the question you have a 25% shot at a right answer. Normally you can narrow it down to 2 and so you have a 50% chance to get it right. And you have 200 questions. The MBEs are so detail oriented that I would worry foe someone who felt awesome about the MBEs because they probably missed the details/nuances and were lulled into a trick answer.
I felt okay about the MBE. Did I fail.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:57 pm

ellewoods123 wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
theInnerCircle wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

I think feeling okay is fine, I would be concerned about people who walked out thinking they crushed it and set a new record.

passx3

New

Post by passx3 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:17 pm

ellewoods123 wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
theInnerCircle wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

I did like 2,700 practice MBE questions including 1,500 licensed previous MBE questions and felt like I did the same on test day as I did during the later stages of bar prep - pretty well. If you did a ton of practice questions and had success throughout bar prep I doubt you're all of a sudden going to fail to grasp the nuances of the MBE just because it's test day.

criminaltheory

Bronze

Post by criminaltheory » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:00 pm

July 2016. The Thursday before the exam I deadlifted my 50lb dog off the floor and threw out my back. I had to crawl to bed, my legs spasmed all night, couldn't sleep. Friday morning went to the doctor. Could barely walk into the doctors office. Couldn't sit up. Got a script for Vicodin and Valium and 800mg ibuprofen. Couldn't study or focus all weekend. Slept Friday-Sunday. During brief waking hours, did about 15 MBE questions and reviewed the attack essay topic outlines I had prepared. Monday, I went back to the doctor, who said I was over-dosing the Valium and should only have been taking 1 a day.

Test day Tuesday I couldn't sleep b/c I went off the Valium to clear my head; got up at 4am. Took Vicodin right before 'go time' to kill the pain. The first column of MBE questions were a fog. About 3/4 of the way through the section, I had to go to the bathroom to take another Vicodin because the sitting was killing me. Took another at 1 when the MBE was restarting; again dazed for the first column of MBE questions. Had a good attitude, though; when I hit one I didn't know, said 'fuck it' and guessed and just moved on without keeping score. Finished both sections with 30 minutes left.

By Day 2 I had figured out a workable drug regime, took a Vicodin w/ breakfast and lunch. It was kind of a nice, chill buzz as long as the pain was at bay. When the afternoon essays began, as the drugs kicked in, my computer froze. It took 15 minutes for the tech staffer to restart examsoft and tell me I was good to go. Thanks to the drugs I guess, though, there was 0 freakout about it. On the Secured Transaction question, i just listed the rules I knew from my outline.

Passed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rivermaker

Bronze

Post by rivermaker » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:32 pm

July 2016. Thought I bombed the first MPT because my memo format was stupid as fuck. Just put all the law from the cases in one giant paragraph. Then went into analysis one by one. On second MPT, forgot to make descriptive headers. On one half of MBE, thought I knew maybe 30 questions. Was in auto test mode and couldn't think during that half. Could spit out like 40 specific questions I got wrong on the MBE. Was stressing for three months thinking it was 50/50 I passed. Found out I scored third highest in my state yesterday.

Lesson is if you are waiting for results, you really have no idea how you did until you get results. Don't stress.

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:00 pm

Some asshole pulled the fire alarm in my hotel at 2am the night before the first test. Had to stand outside for an hour and a half until I could go back in. Couldn't fall asleep after.

Took the essay portion with less than 4 hours of sleep. Got a near perfect score

udonisandtrinity

Bronze

Post by udonisandtrinity » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:33 pm

July 2014 -

Had four weeks to cram for the NJ Bar. Less state specific laws than NY, but still had the onerous MBE component. Anyways, actually studied for three weeks out of the four, got completely wasted the weekend before because I was so stressed and upset that I tried to cram bar prep in three weeks.

Ran out of time and had to bubble in 10-15 questions for each session. For the written portion, I literally blanked out on one entire essay question. I think I typed in "Question 3" and that was it.

Failed.

Following Feb, same exact situation except the drinking the final weekend before the exam and passed. I honestly was stunned at both myself for being a jack ass and also at how these things are graded.

longtimelurker123

New

Post by longtimelurker123 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:49 pm

Waived in my MBE score after failing another state.

Needed 133 on essays to pass.

Caught off guard completely by 2 essays on subjects that I flat out didn't study because they were rarely tested subjects. Completely made up the rules.

Ran out of time on both MPTs because I hadn't practiced them at all. I outlined 1 MPT for a 30 minutes - that's the total of my MPT study time.

I was so sure that I failed that I started applying to other jobs since I was sure that my big law firm was going to fire me.

Passed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FallonJ

New

Post by FallonJ » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:55 pm

Took the July 2016 New Jersey Bar Exam. Ran out of time in the AM and PM session for my final essays. Just wrote a few sentences. However, I was confident that I did really well on the 5 essays that I was able to complete. For the MBE AM session, the first 20-25 questions were a blur as I was freaking out a bit. Towards of the end of the exam, I started running out of time and went through the last 15 questions in both AM and PM sessions like a speed demon, reading super fast and choosing answers. PASSED with a decent MBE score. I don't know my essay scores but I figure that the 5 that I was confident about were probably very good.

I felt okay about February 2016 and did not pass. I was freaking out about July 2016 and passed.

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:39 am

So just got my results - 1st time July taker in NY and pleasantly surprised after everything that happened on test day. (also posted a condensed version of this story in the NY July 2016 thread)

Bar prep went as normal as expected, given that I live with family and I am the most mature of my siblings who are always getting into trouble. Studied my ass off, devoted intensive study to this exam. MBE was getting to around 65-70%. Raw score for midterm was 122. This was the only thing that went well. Test day(s) was just a mess.

Beginning of Test Day - I get yelled at by a proctor because I can't find my seat in Javitz because their numbering system sucks. She pointed to the general area, and when another proctor wanted to help, she scolded her too and told me I needed to find my seat myself. Emotionally fragile me starting this grueling exam almost in tears from this encounter.

I am female. It just so happens that on the ESSAY day was when my female ailments decided to take extra heavy force, leading me to have to go to the bathroom 3-4 times during each essay portion - Javitz Center, with only two stalls and very long lines. Also in incredible pain. Each essay had so many issues and subparts. I had not experienced so many subparts in back to back questions. Multiple issues, difficult and narrow rule application, yes, but this was really a time crunch when I had been averaging about 5-10 minutes extra time for the essay questions.

I know that people say we should study all topics, and not listen to predictions, but I was so convinced that Secured Transactions would not be on the exam because it was tested in February and it wasn't a hot topic that gets tested that often. That, and I just couldn't comprehend it. I studied the basics, but that's it. Showed up on the exam. Left it blank because I was basically in shock, telling myself I'll come back to it. When I finished the other questions, I had 10 minutes left, with an extra long fact pattern. I tried to gather the rules for at least perfection and I couldn't even muster it up. That's right no answer was input at all. So in addition to the other exceedingly hard questions, time crunches, and physical ailments, I was convinced I had bombed that section. The other questions - Evidence, I had convinced myself was an admissibility question and did not include hearsay. The "corporations" question was a bare LLC topic on one type of LLC and the corresponding liability.

The MPT was really long in that there were like a million factors to analyze and had lengthy materials. There was no additional hardship there. MPTs were pretty much legally conclusory since I didn't have time to analyze all the factors.

MBE day- I was doing just fine until I was about to hand in my answer sheet, but checked over it first. Realized I had completely misbubbled 10-20 questions. As I frantically try to erase (no special eraser, just that crappy pencil eraser that comes on the pencil), I rushed to finish my re-bubbling before time was called. I was pretty sure about 10-20 questions would be graded wrong and was preparing to submit a request for hand grading.

Ended up passing with room for NY's 266.

MBE: 148.9; Total Score: 281 so good enough for any state :)

New

Post by 04815162342 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:59 pm

Just passed first time in New York with a 291. 135 on the MBE. I wanted to share my story because I was convinced I failed, and reading the comments on this thread really helped calm me down.

My grandma was in sick and in hospice the whole time I was studying. I was visiting her everyday, at least once or twice (sometimes three times) daily. She passed away on July 3rd, and I was such a mess that I took an entire week off of studying. I'm really bad at multiple choice, and I've never been a good test-taker, so I focused most of my time on the MBE. I like writing and consider myself a good writer, so I didn't focus too much on the essays, until the end. Nearing the end of July, I realized I really needed to spend more time on the essays. Because I had missed so much time from taking off, I used the predictions from efficientbarprep.com, which completely screwed me. They stated on their website that these were just predictions and cautioned not to rely on them, but they had been right on 5 out of 6 subjects in the past, and I didn't have time, so I pretty much prepared entirely only for the subjects they predicted. (***Don't ever do this.***)

So then it's July 26th. I felt pretty good about the first MPT. I made a huge mistake on the second MPT and ended up reading the question wrong, and writing about the wrong issues for about half of it. In the afternoon, I look at the first essay question and I'm like, "shit, they didn't predict agency." Nor did they predict evidence or crim pro, services contracts, torts, or secured transactions. My heart felt like it stopped and I wanted to just start crying and leave right then. I was entirely unprepared for everything except civ pro. I had no idea what the first part of the agency essay was even asking, so I just made it up. Evidence and crim pro are my best subjects, so I felt like I got all of the crim pro stuff, but made a really stupid mistake on evidence and thought it was asking something more complicated than it actually was. Don't remember and didn't feel at all good about contracts or torts. Had NO IDEA what I was doing for secured transactions. Literally didn't know anything. Then comes civ pro at the end, and I felt about 75% confident on that one.

I think what saved me on the essays, and the real reason that I ended up doing well enough, is that I was writing the entire time. I had no idea what I was saying half the time, I was contradicting myself, and I was just trowing in everything I could think of, but I was writing. Even my secured transactions answer was long and I honestly have no idea what I even wrote.

To make matters worse, I have misophonia, which means that I can't handle the sound of people chewing or whispering or any noises like that and I go insane and can't handle it. For the duration of the entire exam, over both days, the proctors were talking the entire time to each other in quiet whispers and laughing with each other. I had to raise my hand twice and ask them to be quiet. It was ridiculous.

I didn't feel good about the MBE either. There were maybe 10 - or fewer - questions in total that I was extremely confident about. The large majority I narrowed down to 2 and then guessed. Some I had absolutely no idea. Everyone was talking afterwards about getting like 15 D's in a row, and I didn't remember having anything like that. I didn't feel *horrible* about the MBE and found it less stressful than the MEE, but that's what I'm always like with multiple choice - I just had no way of knowing at all how I did, and there were so few questions that I was sure about.

I was convinced that I failed. Now that I passed, I need to start sending out employment affs and everything quickly, because I refused to do anything since I was so sure I failed. Sometimes I felt more confident than at others, but most of the time, I just felt like I missed so much time with studying, and I'm such a bad test taker, and I bombed so much, that I couldn't possibly have passed.

So have hope, and good luck!! :)

ryantw

New

Post by ryantw » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:19 pm

Just got results back from July 2016 exam. Woke up the morning of the essay portion and used my laptop to surf the internet. No problems. Arrive at the testing center and promptly pull out my laptop to set it up and get ready. But it doesn't turn on. Not only that, but it isn't even taking a charge. I start frantically asking to borrow other chargers from the test takers around me, yet my laptop still is not working. Eventually I have to handwrite the entire written portion when, mind you, I was given an accommodation throughout grade school because my handwriting was completely illegible (motor skill problems). I chalked it up as a loss and started thinking about my study regimen for the February 2016 exam and how I would break it to my judge that I failed and would need some days off to take the exam again.

I passed--328 total, 168.2 scaled MBE. Miracles do happen.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

allthelaw

New

Post by allthelaw » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:25 pm

day before exam- computer crashes, i am in the middle of nowhere, with no transport, take two hour cab ride to random store at 9pm night before to buy a new one, as handwritting was out of the question for me.
day of essays- finished one and half MPT's and skipped one entire MEE question, didnt know two of the others so used real life rules instead.
day of mbe- [never in my life had a problem with timing on mbe, always finished an hour early, including other bar i passed], ran out of time on both sections.

passed with some room to spare. its all about being calm and making that test your bitch.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:28 pm

So many things went wrong for me. Moved after graduation so didn't really start studying in earnest until early July, then a beloved was pet diagnosed with cancer And I wound up spending a lot of time in vets offices and dealing with treatment, trying to coax her to eat, etc. Probably studied a total of 100 hours. Flight to CA for the exam was canceled and after a day of scrambling to get to CA I only made it to my hotel at the test center at around 2am the morning of the first day. Day 3 I left my ID at the hotel and had to race back to get it, arriving back at the test center with no time to spare. The whole study period and the 3 days of the test were basically an emotional and logistical disaster for me and I was sure I'd fail. But no, I passed.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:55 pm

I swore up and down that I failed the CBX this July. I was so sure I failed that it bled over into post-bar life, and my wife yelled at me for being mopey a couple days into our trip to France. I ended up passing. Here are a list of things I did wrong:

1. Applied both CA Civ Pro and FRCP where the facts (but not the instructions) clearly indicated CA Civ Pro applied
2. Missed the merger issue in question 2 and as a result didn't finish that essay
3. Mismanaged my time and didn't finish Essay 3
4. Organized PT-1 in a way different than the instructions told us to.
5. Completely fucked up Essay 4 (I got the 11th Amendment rule about suing the government wrong, missed the entire due process discussion for one of the people, and spent time analyzing causes of action that weren't in play).
6. Missed at least 2 major issues on the final essay
7. Got many wrong answers on the MBE because I got nervous about how many B's and D's I was getting.

My big takeaways from the whole process are (i) study hard using the study process that works for you - I did that, so many of my struggles may have been a result of overthinking things; (ii) compartmentalize, and realize that, per the above, you can massively fuck up and still pass; and (iii) IRAC and use generalized headings - graders can't spend tons of time reading your essays, and I'm convinced that I got points I didn't deserve because I IRAC'd the shit out of my essays and marked issues with headings (thus, even if I got the wrong answer, the grader could see that I saw the right issue and tried to reason through it).

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Post by lawschoolwoohoo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:27 am

Took the Ga Bar this July. I ran out of time on the MPTs in the morning and ended up only answering the first half of the second MPT. I was so upset I went to my car during lunch and cried for an hour. I came back in feeling completely defeated, which bled into the essays in the afternoon. I felt okay about them but not great and actually realized afterwards that I'd gotten the law wrong in the subject I already had a job in/practice in now. Embarrassing.

I went home and cried for hours. I made a thread on TLS about how to pass the bar if you know you failed all the essays--what I need to get on the MBE, etc. etc. The phrase "I definitely ruined my life" was used. I pulled it together for the second day and felt sort okay-ish about the MBE (so many B's and D's! I was sure I was getting it wrong even though I felt okay about the answers). Despite my okay MBE feelings, I was just sure I failed because I thought I'd done terribly on the essays and writing is my particular strength so I'd always thought those would carry me. I was a complete wreck for weeks leading up to the results. It was a nightmare. I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, literally ended up at the doctor multiple times for stress-related illnesses.

I passed with a 343 (163 MBE).

Needless to say, the last few weeks have included multiple apologies to family and friends for what they put up with me for the last few months....

Edit: for anyone interested, my essay day meltdown on TLS: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p9478205

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”